Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup draw 19:47 - Jan 26 with 4001 viewsMarc

On the One Show ffs

Extremely poor from the BBC, shocking way to handle the oldest football cup competition in the world.

Treating it like it's some sort of joke.

FA Cup draw on 20:10 - Jan 26 with 2683 viewsStanisgod

Be on cbeebies next!
1 o'clock Monday lunchtime, proper football draw time.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

FA Cup draw on 20:43 - Jan 26 with 2598 viewsWatford_Ranger

I assume it was Malala on the home teams and the deputy head of the Norfolk women's FA on the aways.

Bring back Graham Kelly.
FA Cup draw on 21:06 - Jan 26 with 2528 viewsbillericaydicky

FA Cup draw on 20:43 - Jan 26 by Watford_Ranger

I assume it was Malala on the home teams and the deputy head of the Norfolk women's FA on the aways.

Bring back Graham Kelly.

I'm too old to say it but...LOL!
FA Cup draw on 22:45 - Jan 26 with 2363 viewsNorthernr

The BBC do this with the RL Challenge Cup as well. All the coverage, all the pre-game, all the chat is based around the history and tradition of the competition. You can run a clock on when we'll see Ronnie Radford's goal on a third round weekend and it's never more than 3 minutes into a game. All the titles and credits are done to great goals from past giant killings and finals.

So if that's the major selling point, why fck about with it? The BBC are making out now like this bullsht Friday night slot is some kind of new tradition, because Exter and Hartlepool got done on Friday nights - poor bstrd Exeter fans having to go to Warrington on a Friday night. Half the Third round games played Friday, Sunday, Monday or even Tuesday! Games shifted to 1pm Sunday even though they're not being covered, so the BBC can run some sort of Soccer Saturday affair with goals as they go in.

With the Challenge Cup they did one of the draws on Richard Bacon's show on five live and he treated the thing like a comedy sketch. They then did another on breakfast news at 7am with Sian and Bill looking completely bemused by it all.

If it's the tradition that's the selling point stop fcking around with it.
FA Cup draw on 23:14 - Jan 26 with 2323 viewsdaveB

I always find the whole magic of the cup thing quite patronising and all channels who cover the cup do it. When lower league teams play prem teams in the league cup you'l get 2 or 3 shocks every time, same as the fa cup. The truth of why it happens isn't magic it's that the teams in the top division are nowhere near as good as we're told they are and that gets proved every year when the 3 who go down rarely come back again
FA Cup draw on 23:18 - Jan 26 with 2313 viewsNorthernr

Shut up Dave, it's fcking sorcery and you know it.
FA Cup draw on 23:31 - Jan 26 with 2286 viewsHollowayRanger

who cares we don't even enter it do we?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

FA Cup draw on 09:00 - Jan 27 with 2154 viewsDiscodroids

I erupted like linda blair 'la plume de ma tante' as i saw this evil unfold in front of my disbelieving eyes.

when oh when will the bbc realise the dire need for more lesbian , gay , transgender , women and indeed welsh presenters across all formats of their output.

the old boys club of ted croaker, bert millichip and sir stanley rouse cradeling velvety ball sacks live on air and whispering seductively into the microphone to excitable young boys, some 8 and a half hours before the watershed , was a national disgrace .May their blood line be stricken from the records .

you know, what next ?, john barrowman as 'nancy' from 'oliver' in dickensian emerson fittipaldi leathers, live from monte carlo with tiny tim (brian dowling) discussing drag reduction system?.

why not get rid of the fleetwood mac theme tune and replace with the 'weather girls' ?, now theres an institution we can all be proud of.

caaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnts
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 9:08]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup draw on 10:18 - Jan 27 with 2087 viewsKonk

I love the FA cup and long to see a return to a time when the Cup final was a stop-what-you’re-doing national event. My Nan, who hated football, used to watch the cup final every year, whereas I often don’t bother these days. Mainly when Chelsea are in it. We need a rethink.

If we get through against Sunderland, it’s guaranteed our game will be chosen for midday on the Sunday. I know this for a fact because the earliest train from London gets into Bradford at 12:01 and costs about £70. Or we’ll get the Friday/Monday/Tuesday night. Or 3am on a Thursday.

If I was in charge of this country, I would make FA cup round days, national holidays, I would have all games kicking-off at 3pm on the Saturday and I would introduce free travel on boozy trains for anyone with a match ticket (which would cost a fiver). Semi-finals would kick-off simultaneously and where possible, be played at Villa Park and Hillsborough. For the draw, I’d also ensure that we fu cked-off the lottery machine, brought back the velvet bag and went back to having people like Trevor Brooking and Mick Channon doing the draw rather than the drummer from Kasabian, Shane Ritchie or whoever else happens to be in the building at the time.

Cup final coverage: Start at 7am with the players eating breakfast at the hotel/B&B in Harrow, coverage of the coach journey to Wembley with Kenny Samson doing Frank Spencer impressions and other players reading Shoot and Match. All channels show the same coverage simultaneously and coverage runs until shutdown at 10pm. I would also destroy all footage of Alan Taylor’s goals in the 1975 cup final or at least stop showing them all the fu cking time.

Cup final songs: Proper, good, sing-along songs, the players having a giggle in the recording studio, but putting down a song that will live on through the ages — see 1975 masterpiece “Viva el Fulham” for more details. Something timeless that can be sung 40 years later by people who weren’t even born when the song was written.

Bunting, home-made banners and people painting their dogs in club colours: Let’s banish the indifference and see a return to local bakers making cakes iced in the club colours and butchers popping a club scarf around the neck of a pheasant in the shop window (this is Fulham). When we get to the fourth round, I want a drunk bloke to paint his dog black and white, even if it’s already black and white. And I want him to take that dog to the game with a tin foil FA cup trophy sellotaped to its head. Bunting needs to be hung across residential streets and kids have to spend the weeks running up to the final in a state of near constant bed-wetting excitement.

Anthems, Abide with me etc: Fu ck Katherine Jenkins off and let the crowd belt out abide with me. Have the Queen present the trophy and the Royal Marines marching band and a Dog-handling display at half-time. One mascot for each team, chosen at random from the participating clubs’ junior supporters clubs. No fee charged. We don’t need eighty kids on the pitch and we definitely don’t need Dennis Wise’s kid going up to collect the cup. I’d have made that cu nt go back down the stairs and leave his kid with someone before I gave him the trophy. No pyrotechnics, no flames shooting out of braziers as the players come out and no music blaring out during the celebrations.

Cup final tickets: Bin the practice of every club in the universe getting sixteen tickets whilst the participants get 600 tickets each. Fill Wembley with people that care about the outcome and watch their club regularly. £20 tickets for the cup final with £3 for a big A4 souvenir programme. Getting to the final is a reward for those of us who support less successful teams; we shouldn’t be punished when we get a once in a lifetime day out. Anyone not in their seat at kick-off of either half, denied entry for the remainder of that half. No novelty jesters hats, foam hands, half-and-half scarves or afro wigs. Yes to lots of homemade banners featuring wordplay and puns, no to banners listing the names of the people who made the banner; you should be there to support your club, not to see your name on telly, you vain fu cking idiots. In a similar vein, anyone found beaming and waving cos they’ve appeared on the big screen, even though they’re 3-0 down gets a five year banning order. Fu ck it, we’ll turn off the big screens. Anyone filming the game or taking pictures of themselves rather than living in the moment will get a 1 year banning order.

If the FA do the sensible thing and adopt all of my proposals, I think we’d soon see a return to the glory days when the FA cup truly was a national event of epic import. Do they have the courage?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 10:22]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

FA Cup draw on 10:34 - Jan 27 with 2057 viewsPinnerPaul

The "romance" and shocks would all but disappear if a CL spot was up for grabs to the winners.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2015 10:34]
FA Cup draw on 10:35 - Jan 27 with 2053 viewsWestminsteRs

I used to love the cup, obviously never from a QPR perspective (I'm not old enough for 1982) but it's just died. It needs bringing back to life but fetishising the magic of the cup doesn't help really. As well as the odd giant killing it used to be something worth winning but now all anyone is really bothered about is the nowadays much rarer giant killings. Big teams put out second string sides, so do those threatened by relegation. The top Championship teams would prefer to concentrate on the league and even the midtable mediocres of the Premier League i.e. Newcastle don't want to win it because they'll have to play in a mickey mouse European competition on a Thursday night. Compare that with what the UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup used to provide...

Somehow I'd like to see more incentive to do well in the cup either in the form of bigger prize money or a Champions League place for winners. I realise that would potentially mess with our UEFA coefficient but I didn't get into football to worry about coefficients and The One Show.
FA Cup draw on 10:45 - Jan 27 with 2030 viewspaulparker

FA Cup draw on 10:18 - Jan 27 by Konk

I love the FA cup and long to see a return to a time when the Cup final was a stop-what-you’re-doing national event. My Nan, who hated football, used to watch the cup final every year, whereas I often don’t bother these days. Mainly when Chelsea are in it. We need a rethink.

If we get through against Sunderland, it’s guaranteed our game will be chosen for midday on the Sunday. I know this for a fact because the earliest train from London gets into Bradford at 12:01 and costs about £70. Or we’ll get the Friday/Monday/Tuesday night. Or 3am on a Thursday.

If I was in charge of this country, I would make FA cup round days, national holidays, I would have all games kicking-off at 3pm on the Saturday and I would introduce free travel on boozy trains for anyone with a match ticket (which would cost a fiver). Semi-finals would kick-off simultaneously and where possible, be played at Villa Park and Hillsborough. For the draw, I’d also ensure that we fu cked-off the lottery machine, brought back the velvet bag and went back to having people like Trevor Brooking and Mick Channon doing the draw rather than the drummer from Kasabian, Shane Ritchie or whoever else happens to be in the building at the time.

Cup final coverage: Start at 7am with the players eating breakfast at the hotel/B&B in Harrow, coverage of the coach journey to Wembley with Kenny Samson doing Frank Spencer impressions and other players reading Shoot and Match. All channels show the same coverage simultaneously and coverage runs until shutdown at 10pm. I would also destroy all footage of Alan Taylor’s goals in the 1975 cup final or at least stop showing them all the fu cking time.

Cup final songs: Proper, good, sing-along songs, the players having a giggle in the recording studio, but putting down a song that will live on through the ages — see 1975 masterpiece “Viva el Fulham” for more details. Something timeless that can be sung 40 years later by people who weren’t even born when the song was written.

Bunting, home-made banners and people painting their dogs in club colours: Let’s banish the indifference and see a return to local bakers making cakes iced in the club colours and butchers popping a club scarf around the neck of a pheasant in the shop window (this is Fulham). When we get to the fourth round, I want a drunk bloke to paint his dog black and white, even if it’s already black and white. And I want him to take that dog to the game with a tin foil FA cup trophy sellotaped to its head. Bunting needs to be hung across residential streets and kids have to spend the weeks running up to the final in a state of near constant bed-wetting excitement.

Anthems, Abide with me etc: Fu ck Katherine Jenkins off and let the crowd belt out abide with me. Have the Queen present the trophy and the Royal Marines marching band and a Dog-handling display at half-time. One mascot for each team, chosen at random from the participating clubs’ junior supporters clubs. No fee charged. We don’t need eighty kids on the pitch and we definitely don’t need Dennis Wise’s kid going up to collect the cup. I’d have made that cu nt go back down the stairs and leave his kid with someone before I gave him the trophy. No pyrotechnics, no flames shooting out of braziers as the players come out and no music blaring out during the celebrations.

Cup final tickets: Bin the practice of every club in the universe getting sixteen tickets whilst the participants get 600 tickets each. Fill Wembley with people that care about the outcome and watch their club regularly. £20 tickets for the cup final with £3 for a big A4 souvenir programme. Getting to the final is a reward for those of us who support less successful teams; we shouldn’t be punished when we get a once in a lifetime day out. Anyone not in their seat at kick-off of either half, denied entry for the remainder of that half. No novelty jesters hats, foam hands, half-and-half scarves or afro wigs. Yes to lots of homemade banners featuring wordplay and puns, no to banners listing the names of the people who made the banner; you should be there to support your club, not to see your name on telly, you vain fu cking idiots. In a similar vein, anyone found beaming and waving cos they’ve appeared on the big screen, even though they’re 3-0 down gets a five year banning order. Fu ck it, we’ll turn off the big screens. Anyone filming the game or taking pictures of themselves rather than living in the moment will get a 1 year banning order.

If the FA do the sensible thing and adopt all of my proposals, I think we’d soon see a return to the glory days when the FA cup truly was a national event of epic import. Do they have the courage?

The FA Cup has been dead since 1999 when Utd went to Brazil for a tin pot cup tournament rather than defend the trophy they won,
The FA killed their own completion right there when they secretly insisted Utd go to Brazil as it might help our bid for the 2006 World cup, which we were never going to get BTW ,
there is to much Football on the box for people to actually give a sh*t anymore about the cup, in the old days 1 game for each round was shown on live TV and the games were alternated between MOTD & the Big Match as were the highlights of the days events, Less is more that's why it was special
Kids today couldn't give a stuff about the cup or its history its all about the Prem & The champions league , if that isn't on then they can just play Fifa 15,
as for the big clubs its just an excuse to rotate the squad and give the sub goalie a game
the only way to bring this completion back is to increase the prize money ,
make sure all semi finals are at villa park or old Trafford and not Wembley ,
have only 3 games allowed to be shown on TV the rest 3pm kick offs including the semi fianls kicking off the same day , the winners get a champions league spot too ,
oh and for any teams getting to the final it should be compulsory for Freddie star or Stan Boardman to do their Nazi routine on the team bus

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

FA Cup draw on 11:55 - Jan 27 with 1983 viewsDiscodroids

....furthermore, if that bird off the danny dichio QPR podcast does'nt get to make the 4th round draw with russel t davies, i think we all need to take a long hard look at ourselves, possibly in a full length mirror in 'buffalo bill' pose with our knobs between our legs.

put the lotion in the basket.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

FA Cup draw on 12:07 - Jan 27 with 1979 viewsdaveB

highlight of the cup draw was the plebs stood outside in replica shirts forced to walk and shake hands with other plebs as their teams came out of the hat with all of them looking very uncomfortable and embarrassed. For Man Utd they had a former Dr Who do it who was far too good to wear a football shirt so it all defeated the point of it.

Second highlight was Gary Lineker drawing a number out and then trying to put it back in the pot, was TV gold.
FA Cup draw on 12:22 - Jan 27 with 1959 viewsJamie

If the FA genuinely wanted to save the cup they would use the 4th CL spot for the winner.
FA Cup draw on 12:26 - Jan 27 with 1946 viewsdaveB

FA Cup draw on 12:22 - Jan 27 by Jamie

If the FA genuinely wanted to save the cup they would use the 4th CL spot for the winner.

That wouldn't save the cup it would just make the bigger clubs take it more seriously and win it every year so it would become as dull as it has been for 15 years with the same teams winning it all the time.

The glory years for the cup was when anyone could win it and you have that this season.

Lets face it the Europa League has a champions league place for the winner and still no one cares about it
FA Cup draw on 12:31 - Jan 27 with 1936 viewsJamie

FA Cup draw on 12:26 - Jan 27 by daveB

That wouldn't save the cup it would just make the bigger clubs take it more seriously and win it every year so it would become as dull as it has been for 15 years with the same teams winning it all the time.

The glory years for the cup was when anyone could win it and you have that this season.

Lets face it the Europa League has a champions league place for the winner and still no one cares about it

Teams like QPR would suddenly take an interest in progressing past the third round if a CL place was on offer.
FA Cup draw on 12:34 - Jan 27 with 1927 viewsYorkRanger

FA Cup draw on 10:18 - Jan 27 by Konk

Great post Konk - enjoyed that.

The draw was an embarrassment and shame on Gary Lineker for playing up to a comedy role, rather than performing as the credible, knowledgeable and heavyweight presenter/pundit which he claims (aspires) to be.
FA Cup draw on 12:36 - Jan 27 with 1921 viewsheadhoops

FA Cup draw on 12:22 - Jan 27 by Jamie

Jamie - I rarely agree with you but do on this occasion - cant imagine the 'big' clubs would field junior teams with a CL spot up for grabs. Also if a 2nd tier side win it - automatic promotion to the Premiership.

and adding to Konk's list - get those fuc£ off rosettes back and wooden rattles.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

FA Cup draw on 12:47 - Jan 27 with 1895 viewsthemodfather

whose idea was it to have fans in a car park , shaking hands as teams were drawn out?
shocking....a sodding disgrace,.
FA Cup draw on 12:50 - Jan 27 with 1888 viewsdaveB

FA Cup draw on 12:31 - Jan 27 by Jamie

Teams like QPR would suddenly take an interest in progressing past the third round if a CL place was on offer.

We wouldn't win it though, we've far more chance of winning it in the current format.
Anyway No way will the Premier League give up a champions league place for the FA Cup, it would kill the league as they would end the season for about 5 clubs in March.
FA Cup draw on 13:11 - Jan 27 with 1850 viewsKonk

FA Cup draw on 12:36 - Jan 27 by headhoops

Jamie - I rarely agree with you but do on this occasion - cant imagine the 'big' clubs would field junior teams with a CL spot up for grabs. Also if a 2nd tier side win it - automatic promotion to the Premiership.

and adding to Konk's list - get those fuc£ off rosettes back and wooden rattles.

Big rosettes and homemade outfits. Specials laid on for every game, but they’ve got to be wet. None off this dry trains nonsense. And what would be a lovely gesture, would be if the home club could lay on a buffet in the concourse under the stand, with maybe a few free drinks thrown in. That’d be a lovely touch.

“Wembley, Wembley, we’re the oldest team in London and we’re going to Wembley!” — I think they used this train when I went up to Liverpool for a League cup game in the 90’s. Look how excited they all are - and they're only going to Ipswich - magic of the cup! Guessing the photographer must have been a Chelsea supporting relative judging from the girl giving him the wan ker sign.

FA Cup draw on 13:25 - Jan 27 with 1825 viewsJamie

FA Cup draw on 12:50 - Jan 27 by daveB

We wouldn't win it though, we've far more chance of winning it in the current format.
Anyway No way will the Premier League give up a champions league place for the FA Cup, it would kill the league as they would end the season for about 5 clubs in March.

Well yes it's highly unlikely that we would ever win it, but same goes for Pompey. Hell, if we'd not thrown the third round we may well have been looking good for a quarter final now.

The major problem of the FA Cup is not who wins it, it's that teams throw third & fourth round cup games prioritising the PL and the only way that will stop is by making the prize worth winning.

Of course the PL would never willingly give up a CL slot, but then the PL is licenced and governed by the FA so it's not their choice to make. Ultimately though, the FA know what's good for them and that is the PL goldmine and the FA Cups rapid death is collateral damage.
FA Cup draw on 13:35 - Jan 27 with 1806 viewsheadhoops

FA Cup draw on 13:11 - Jan 27 by Konk

Big rosettes and homemade outfits. Specials laid on for every game, but they’ve got to be wet. None off this dry trains nonsense. And what would be a lovely gesture, would be if the home club could lay on a buffet in the concourse under the stand, with maybe a few free drinks thrown in. That’d be a lovely touch.

“Wembley, Wembley, we’re the oldest team in London and we’re going to Wembley!” — I think they used this train when I went up to Liverpool for a League cup game in the 90’s. Look how excited they all are - and they're only going to Ipswich - magic of the cup! Guessing the photographer must have been a Chelsea supporting relative judging from the girl giving him the wan ker sign.

love the way the have managed to disguise the fact that its only a 1 coach train.....

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

FA Cup draw on 13:41 - Jan 27 with 1800 viewsKonk

FA Cup draw on 13:35 - Jan 27 by headhoops

love the way the have managed to disguise the fact that its only a 1 coach train.....

I think it was like one of those 200 carriage+ freight trains they have in the States. They had to extend the platforms and everything. We are mammoth.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024