Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites 11:46 - Oct 2 with 1356 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bad recent examples include Dave Mc's article where I had to copy and past the text to read it, and today that Bolton blog that NorthernR linked in. The Independent mobile app is also notorious!

Also doesn't help when i'm at work trying to do some sneaky reading and some audio explosion usually gives the game away.

I know these sites and the news industry in general need some income but some of them are really over the top.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 12:04 - Oct 2 with 1349 viewsJuzzie

I read an article recently that said internet ads could be on their way out. Simply because they just don't generate the interest that they are designed to. Most people use ad-blockers, ignore them or juts get pissed off by them which is counter productive.

Companies and web publishers will have to look other methods to generate income. However, they could be even more intrusive/annoying!

On a slight aside, also read that charity companies are suffering (their fault really) due to the aggressive methods they use directly or who they outsource to combined with the fact such a small amount of people's money gets to where it's intended by the time all the admin/overheads are taken into account. Something like 20p alone in every £1 is used to market themselves. Then you have Executives in plush central London buildings on high salaries. Why?

So, you are basically giving your money for nothing, to simply pay for high salaries, plush premises and marketing expenditure. You can bet your bottom dollar the people manning the phones or on the street get fk all, along with the people/animals etc the money is meant for.

I used to regularly donate to about 5 charities. I know they are not all bad but once Juzzie Jr arrived and money was needed for other things I cancelled them all but one. Charity begins at home...

[Post edited 2 Oct 2015 12:28]
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 12:10 - Oct 2 with 1330 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bazza, what is your job that you need your computer's speakers on?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 12:30 - Oct 2 with 1303 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 12:10 - Oct 2 by isawqpratwcity

Bazza, what is your job that you need your computer's speakers on?

It's one where i'm too stupid to turn them off.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 13:16 - Oct 2 with 1262 viewsNorthernr

The absolute worst in the world is the Hull Daily Mail site - I try and read it a couple of times a week to keep up with my rugby league team but it's absolutely unusable. Treat yourself to trying to read one of their sports stories, it can't be done.

Ads are a necessary evil here. I've insisted on no sound ones because I hate logging onto a site and geting blasted with those irritating videos, but if they weren't here, or if everybody started using ad blocker, LFW would close within a month.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 13:23 - Oct 2 with 1256 viewsbaz_qpr

So I work in digital marketing and the things that piss me off the most..

Are auto play video ads (getwestlondon) really bad for this

Light box pop ups which dont have an obvious close button or have not been optimized for mobile so stop you from using the page

When sites like LFW wont load because of the ad server (coding issue)

People that still use Flash which then crashes my computer
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 20:27 - Oct 2 with 1155 viewsRebalhoop

Buy a paper,and help keep us print workers in a job,technology is killing the papers
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 21:04 - Oct 2 with 1138 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Paying for goods and services via the internet is one thing, monetising the internet is another. Fark your ads you greedy sods, I've been using ad blockers for 12 years and been surfing blissfully.

Web ads are a scurge that needs to be wiped out.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 21:34 - Oct 2 with 1123 viewsMrGrieves

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 13:16 - Oct 2 by Northernr

The absolute worst in the world is the Hull Daily Mail site - I try and read it a couple of times a week to keep up with my rugby league team but it's absolutely unusable. Treat yourself to trying to read one of their sports stories, it can't be done.

Ads are a necessary evil here. I've insisted on no sound ones because I hate logging onto a site and geting blasted with those irritating videos, but if they weren't here, or if everybody started using ad blocker, LFW would close within a month.

Out of interest, how does it work with income for the site? Do the ads make money merely by being there or does it require people clicking through them?
Login to get fewer ads

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 21:46 - Oct 2 with 1109 viewsDorse

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 21:34 - Oct 2 by MrGrieves

Out of interest, how does it work with income for the site? Do the ads make money merely by being there or does it require people clicking through them?

Every time Disco mentions Diane Abbot, Clive gets 75p, if it helps.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 22:42 - Oct 2 with 1084 viewsDave_Mc

Hi Bazza

You shouldn't be seeing ads like that on the site. Can I ask what operating system you were using and if you can remember what kind of ad it was?

I appreciate that's bloody annoying. So apologies.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:41 - Oct 2 with 1057 viewsNorthernr

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 21:04 - Oct 2 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Paying for goods and services via the internet is one thing, monetising the internet is another. Fark your ads you greedy sods, I've been using ad blockers for 12 years and been surfing blissfully.

And take this site with it presumably.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:43 - Oct 2 with 1055 viewsNorthernr

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 21:34 - Oct 2 by MrGrieves

Both I think. Not my job, sold be the network, but as I understand we get paid by page impression and we get paid by clicks on the specific ads, and both of those payments stop when people use ad blockers. The photographs alone, from Action Images, are extortionate and paid for with the ads. The servers, the tech support, and everything else, likewise. If everybody who uses this site started using ad blocker tonight we'd be closed within one month.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:45 - Oct 2 with 1055 viewsRBlock

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 21:04 - Oct 2 by Hoop_Du_Jour

To be fair it is the only source of income for so many of these websites. Given that the majority of newspapers are online for free, how are they expected to be able to pay salarys and overheads without an income? It isn't monetising the internet, it is seeking some return on their investment through a novel medium in this new digital age. They are a necessary evil. That said I use an ad blocker for most sites, this and a few other independent ones being the exception.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:45 - Oct 2 with 1053 viewsNorthernr

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:45 - Oct 2 by RBlock

To be fair it is the only source of income for so many of these websites. Given that the majority of newspapers are online for free, how are they expected to be able to pay salarys and overheads without an income? It isn't monetising the internet, it is seeking some return on their investment through a novel medium in this new digital age. They are a necessary evil. That said I use an ad blocker for most sites, this and a few other independent ones being the exception.

Thank you for that, it's really appreciated.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:54 - Oct 2 with 1045 viewsdistortR

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:45 - Oct 2 by Northernr

Thank you for that, it's really appreciated.

I can't even post a sodding link, so you're safe with me, northern.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:59 - Oct 2 with 1043 viewsCiderwithRsie

I don't use an ad blocker for exactly the reason NorthernR gives, I just ignore them.

That said I sometimes think one day people will wake up and wonder why anyone bothers with ads, I really don't think they are as effective as made out. I don't say they don't work at all, but I can't imagine they are value for money. Something like £14 bn spent on advertising in the UK every year - that's about one third of the entire defence budget. How often does anyone buy something they wouldn't have done anyway as a result?
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 00:09 - Oct 3 with 1037 viewsNorthernr

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 23:59 - Oct 2 by CiderwithRsie

I don't use an ad blocker for exactly the reason NorthernR gives, I just ignore them.

That said I sometimes think one day people will wake up and wonder why anyone bothers with ads, I really don't think they are as effective as made out. I don't say they don't work at all, but I can't imagine they are value for money. Something like £14 bn spent on advertising in the UK every year - that's about one third of the entire defence budget. How often does anyone buy something they wouldn't have done anyway as a result?

I agree, except one day some Butcher put an ad on here for a dozen steaks for 30 quid and I tried it and bought them and they were bloody lovely. Now I get a catalogue through from them once a month and buy from them six times a year and it's always bloody lovely. So it does work, if you get it right.

But 99% of the time they're totally unsuitable to me and unsued. For example I'm in France at the moment and I'm getting an advert for Accor Hotels rooms in France. I'm already here. I already have my hotel. This is useless to me.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 00:22 - Oct 3 with 1029 viewsisawqpratwcity

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 00:09 - Oct 3 by Northernr

I agree, except one day some Butcher put an ad on here for a dozen steaks for 30 quid and I tried it and bought them and they were bloody lovely. Now I get a catalogue through from them once a month and buy from them six times a year and it's always bloody lovely. So it does work, if you get it right.

But 99% of the time they're totally unsuitable to me and unsued. For example I'm in France at the moment and I'm getting an advert for Accor Hotels rooms in France. I'm already here. I already have my hotel. This is useless to me.

They know you're about to throw the TV into the swimming pool.

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 10:30 - Oct 3 with 973 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 22:42 - Oct 2 by Dave_Mc

Hi Bazza

You shouldn't be seeing ads like that on the site. Can I ask what operating system you were using and if you can remember what kind of ad it was?

I appreciate that's bloody annoying. So apologies.

Hello Dave.

To be honest i've just tried the link again and it's fine, so maybe it's my error. For the record I have a Mac.

No apologies necessary. If it pays for good content it's worth it.
Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 10:34 - Oct 3 with 970 viewsisawqpratwcity

Overbearing Adverts On News Websites on 10:30 - Oct 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Hello Dave.

To be honest i've just tried the link again and it's fine, so maybe it's my error. For the record I have a Mac.

No apologies necessary. If it pays for good content it's worth it.

Don't be so conciliatory.

DAVE OUT!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024