Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thanksgiving Day 19:26 - Nov 25 with 1288 viewsexiled_dictator

any yanks on here planning to celebrate thanksgiving tomorrow?
other than kill the odd turkey or two, are there any special or odd things that are partaken?
i read that the celebration is originally british, and was taken across to the new lands with the escapees.
did not know that.
and it's celebrated in other cultures too, but not referred to as thanksgiving.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Thanksgiving Day on 20:01 - Nov 25 with 1269 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I don't know about Yanks having turkey for Thanksgiving, but I sure as shit know a Russian who is planning to have Turkey sometime soon!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Thanksgiving Day on 20:08 - Nov 25 with 1249 viewsitsbiga

I english but live over in USA. I'm doing the thanksgiving dinner for the 1st time this year. Usually go to a friends house but I'm hosting now I have a couple of nippers. Just eat a lot and get a little tipsy with friends is all.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Thanksgiving Day on 20:31 - Nov 25 with 1235 viewsBklynRanger

I'm going down to Chinatown in a minute to buy 4 different kinds of fish. Tomorrow the wife and I will stay in the house, get drunk, eat those fish and catch up with what's happening with the zombies on the old walking dead.

That's the extent of our unAmerican unThanksgiving, miserable auld shits that we are. I'm sitting in the pub at 3.30pm at least so God bless America.
Thanksgiving Day on 21:14 - Nov 25 with 1199 viewsDWQPR

The day we adopt thanksgiving in this country is the day that I decide to have a goose for Xmas.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Thanksgiving Day on 21:21 - Nov 25 with 1191 viewsBklynRanger

What does goose taste like? They sell that down Chinatown. I always think it would be like eating a swan which can't be good Shirley? Pheasant though - I'd like to eat that, just never got round to it. Danny Champion of the World - marvelous.
Thanksgiving Day on 21:27 - Nov 25 with 1178 viewsBrightonhoop

Agreed. Goose just seems wrong. Goose fat (or posh lard as my mum used to call it) on Roast spuds is proper nosh.

One things certain, you cannot get a turkey and leak pie after Chrimbo out of a goose. And that's a fact.
Thanksgiving Day on 21:29 - Nov 25 with 1176 viewsDWQPR

Thanksgiving Day on 21:21 - Nov 25 by BklynRanger

What does goose taste like? They sell that down Chinatown. I always think it would be like eating a swan which can't be good Shirley? Pheasant though - I'd like to eat that, just never got round to it. Danny Champion of the World - marvelous.

Goose has plenty of flavour and because of the amount of fat around the bird (great for roast potatoes), is a moist meat, unlike Turkey which it isn't cooked right can be dry. Enjoy all game pheasant is good but if you can get it try some pigeon. Got some down at Borough Market at the weekend, breasts pan fried in a bit of butter and left pink in the middle and you've got a tasty meal.

Thanksgiving Day on 21:31 - Nov 25 with 1172 viewsBrightonhoop

Thanksgiving Day on 21:29 - Nov 25 by DWQPR

Goose has plenty of flavour and because of the amount of fat around the bird (great for roast potatoes), is a moist meat, unlike Turkey which it isn't cooked right can be dry. Enjoy all game pheasant is good but if you can get it try some pigeon. Got some down at Borough Market at the weekend, breasts pan fried in a bit of butter and left pink in the middle and you've got a tasty meal.

Try the pigeon with a plum or fig sauce. Out of this world.
Login to get fewer ads

Thanksgiving Day on 21:37 - Nov 25 with 1161 viewsBklynRanger

An actual, ordinary pigeon?! Fcuk me that's edgy stuff. If you saw a Chinese man in Trafalgar Square with a net you might mischeviously think to yourself "there you go that's somebody's dinner" but it would be real! Pigeon!
Thanksgiving Day on 21:38 - Nov 25 with 1160 viewsDWQPR

Thanksgiving Day on 21:31 - Nov 25 by Brightonhoop

Try the pigeon with a plum or fig sauce. Out of this world.

Not much game down Albox was Brighton other than a cabinet full of rabbit in the local Mercadona or a scrawny bit of venison if you are lucky. What will be on the Xmas day table in the BH household this year or on la Dias o El tres Reys?

Thanksgiving Day on 21:41 - Nov 25 with 1160 viewsthame_hoops

My Mrs cooks some weird 'traditional' things:

Green beans mixed with Campbell's mushroom soup
Sweet potato mash covered in marshmallows
American 'stuffing'
Pumpkin pie

I just got back from Baltimore (Ravens game) and she headed to family in Texas so i think I'll just have a steak and beer and watch the first two NFL games
Thanksgiving Day on 21:48 - Nov 25 with 1151 viewsFredManRave

Bklyn wrote; Tomorrow the wife and I will stay in the house, get drunk, eat those fish and catch up with what's happening with the zombies on the old walking dead.

So just a typical day in the Brooklyn household then?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Thanksgiving Day on 22:02 - Nov 25 with 1133 viewsBrightonhoop

Thanksgiving Day on 21:38 - Nov 25 by DWQPR

Not much game down Albox was Brighton other than a cabinet full of rabbit in the local Mercadona or a scrawny bit of venison if you are lucky. What will be on the Xmas day table in the BH household this year or on la Dias o El tres Reys?

Ha! No, not much of anything in Albox lol. The Vera Iceland occassionally has good game and the English Butcher in Turre used to come up with the goods from time to time, but heard he's done a runner. Mercadona do a very decent fillet steak mind. Bit partial to Rabbit at times too, got to be careful how you pronounce it tho or the lady on the meat counter will give you a black eye.
At BH Acres we have opted for the traditional turkey option with Seron Ham and Topside for the days after. I've made a load of Limoncello with the second harvest of lemons for the ladies and roast chickens for the dogs. Olive harvest starts this sunday so gifts this year will be mostly Olive Oil and Limoncello. Must meet up next time you are down.
Thanksgiving Day on 22:05 - Nov 25 with 1132 viewsdistortR

Thanksgiving Day on 21:48 - Nov 25 by FredManRave

Bklyn wrote; Tomorrow the wife and I will stay in the house, get drunk, eat those fish and catch up with what's happening with the zombies on the old walking dead.

to be fair, on saturdays he likes to catch up with what's happening with the zombies at loftus road
Thanksgiving Day on 22:35 - Nov 25 with 1111 viewsBklynRanger

Thanksgiving Day on 21:48 - Nov 25 by FredManRave

Not that unusual but with maybe a couple more fish.
Thanksgiving Day on 22:46 - Nov 25 with 1103 viewsDWQPR

Thanksgiving Day on 22:02 - Nov 25 by Brightonhoop

Ha! No, not much of anything in Albox lol. The Vera Iceland occassionally has good game and the English Butcher in Turre used to come up with the goods from time to time, but heard he's done a runner. Mercadona do a very decent fillet steak mind. Bit partial to Rabbit at times too, got to be careful how you pronounce it tho or the lady on the meat counter will give you a black eye.
At BH Acres we have opted for the traditional turkey option with Seron Ham and Topside for the days after. I've made a load of Limoncello with the second harvest of lemons for the ladies and roast chickens for the dogs. Olive harvest starts this sunday so gifts this year will be mostly Olive Oil and Limoncello. Must meet up next time you are down.

Defo, meant to get in contact in October but made the most of the last of the warm sunshine before returning to the UK. Back out for Easter. I would be tempted to go to town on the wet fish counter in the Mercadona, a most magnificent array of aquatic jewels at awesome prices. The butchers down at Iceland in Vera is very good as is the butcher in the Covaran in Arboleas, albeit a more limited range. Always thought the Mercadona butcher was a decent bird, always gives my lad a decent slice of serano to eat whenever we get a media kilo of the stuff.

Thanksgiving Day on 23:34 - Nov 25 with 1073 viewsBrightonhoop

Thanksgiving Day on 22:46 - Nov 25 by DWQPR

Defo, meant to get in contact in October but made the most of the last of the warm sunshine before returning to the UK. Back out for Easter. I would be tempted to go to town on the wet fish counter in the Mercadona, a most magnificent array of aquatic jewels at awesome prices. The butchers down at Iceland in Vera is very good as is the butcher in the Covaran in Arboleas, albeit a more limited range. Always thought the Mercadona butcher was a decent bird, always gives my lad a decent slice of serano to eat whenever we get a media kilo of the stuff.

The fish counter is something to behold indeed. Superb prices too. As is Garrucha fish market on a Friday, well worth a visit.
The spanish for rabbit and pussy is too similar to get wrong and can innocently asking to sample the rabbit and getting it wrong can draw a swift black eye and a volley of abuse :-D She's a good sort tho, on the meat counter. lol
I'm amazed how Covoran has turned around, it looked dead and buried only a year ago. They've really raised there game. The meat and cheese counter is superb.
Thanksgiving Day on 23:45 - Nov 25 with 1060 viewsPunteR

There should be a Ungrateful Day.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Thanksgiving Day on 00:11 - Nov 26 with 1038 viewsLowerloftLad

Why have Thanksgiving just to then follow it up by killing someone for a crappy TV with Black Friday

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Thanksgiving Day on 01:45 - Nov 26 with 1004 viewsJAPRANGERS

My American mate says he does nothing on Thanksgiving day but drink beer and have sex all day. What's not to like??
Thanksgiving Day on 02:15 - Nov 26 with 992 viewsFredManRave

Thanksgiving Day on 23:45 - Nov 25 by PunteR

There should be a Ungrateful Day.

I doubt it would be appreciated.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Thanksgiving Day on 02:50 - Nov 26 with 978 viewstorontolifelongfan

watched a us show that said it was to celebrate the first arrival of the first pilgrims to come to the "new world" at Princeton..might have been Abe Lincoln but don't quote me on that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024