Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100 years since Easter Rising 13:31 - Mar 27 with 3641 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ok, it really began on Easter Monday, 24th April 1916, but it's Easter and 100 years.

I can't ever remember being taught about it at school, but somehow my feelings had always been negative about Ireland leaving the Union. But I find that I've shifted now and am pleased, excited even, at the thought of a struggle for independence so close to 'home' and in such recent history. Though I have always been unsympathetic to Northern Ireland undemocratically reuniting with the South.

Thoughts and opinions?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

100 years since Easter Rising on 13:43 - Mar 27 with 2281 viewsTheBlob

Happy Anniversary Ireland.

Can we have our bailout money back now please?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

100 years since Easter Rising on 14:07 - Mar 27 with 2260 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Everyone has a right to self determination and Southern Ireland (now ROI) shouldn't have had their citizens murdered to get it.

NI will never join the south without a referendum like the one in 1973.
100 years since Easter Rising on 19:00 - Mar 27 with 2155 viewsHendonHoop

I'm an English/American and after all the Troubles and struggles over the last 50 years or so, I find things are so better with our Nations these days. After all, we all drink and socialize together and being brought up in Kilburn, I saw this all at first hand.I still don't see Republic of Ireland players as "Foreign". Life is too short to be spent being at war ect. And I have great respect for the people of Ireland and seeing the Commemorations on the tv news today, I must say it choked me up a bit.
100 years since Easter Rising on 19:07 - Mar 27 with 2129 viewsQPRDave

nm
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 19:22]
100 years since Easter Rising on 19:20 - Mar 27 with 2121 viewsHendonHoop

I'm reaching for my Kenneth McKeller Record selection as we speak.
100 years since Easter Rising on 19:26 - Mar 27 with 2096 viewsisawqpratwcity

100 years since Easter Rising on 19:07 - Mar 27 by QPRDave

nm
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 19:22]

Absolutely. It took me by surprise when I visited Britain in 1996 and went to Inverness where my Dad's Dad was born; a shop-girl spontaneously volunteered the information that she'd be delighted if Scotland was independent of Britain, when I had no idea that devolution was desired.

I would prefer that Scotland stayed in the Union and also that Britain stayed in the EU, but I welcome the result of a fair vote, whatever the outcome.

If I knew more about Ireland's history maybe I'd know if the Easter Rising and subsequent events was a violent affair because of the perceived, or actual, unlikelihood of an independence vote.

100 years since Easter Rising on 20:05 - Mar 27 with 2054 viewsRangersw12

Are they teaching WW1 in schools yet or are they still ignoring the 50,000 Irishman who died
100 years since Easter Rising on 21:44 - Mar 27 with 1938 viewsQPRDave

100 years since Easter Rising on 19:26 - Mar 27 by isawqpratwcity

Absolutely. It took me by surprise when I visited Britain in 1996 and went to Inverness where my Dad's Dad was born; a shop-girl spontaneously volunteered the information that she'd be delighted if Scotland was independent of Britain, when I had no idea that devolution was desired.

I would prefer that Scotland stayed in the Union and also that Britain stayed in the EU, but I welcome the result of a fair vote, whatever the outcome.

If I knew more about Ireland's history maybe I'd know if the Easter Rising and subsequent events was a violent affair because of the perceived, or actual, unlikelihood of an independence vote.

Sorry I saw. I deleted the question as it was stupid and had nothing to do with your thread.
Thanks for answering, and again apols for hijacking and being a ****

Oh and to add I wasn't taught about the Easter rising or ww1 or 2 for that matter.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 21:47]
Login to get fewer ads

100 years since Easter Rising on 22:19 - Mar 27 with 1905 viewsLythamR

The easter rising was like a 60's summer love in compared with the subjugation, violence and terror dished out by the English rulers, governments and armies in Ireland in the previous 800 years or so
100 years since Easter Rising on 00:42 - Mar 28 with 1829 viewsHollowayRanger

Being half irish

the whole of Ireland should have been either part of the uk like Scotland wales or fully independent

not the mess it now is

most of my irish relatives want nothing to do with n Ireland and see nowt but trouble if they join, however one small group the black sheep of the family use to be very active in trying to so called free the north

I love the south will almost certainly retire there to the rebel country but im very pro british or should I say English

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

100 years since Easter Rising on 09:08 - Mar 28 with 1738 viewsfrancisbowles

100 years since Easter Rising on 00:42 - Mar 28 by HollowayRanger

Being half irish

the whole of Ireland should have been either part of the uk like Scotland wales or fully independent

not the mess it now is

most of my irish relatives want nothing to do with n Ireland and see nowt but trouble if they join, however one small group the black sheep of the family use to be very active in trying to so called free the north

I love the south will almost certainly retire there to the rebel country but im very pro british or should I say English

Did you mean the rebel county i.e. Wexford?
100 years since Easter Rising on 09:26 - Mar 28 with 1729 viewsisawqpratwcity

100 years since Easter Rising on 21:44 - Mar 27 by QPRDave

Sorry I saw. I deleted the question as it was stupid and had nothing to do with your thread.
Thanks for answering, and again apols for hijacking and being a ****

Oh and to add I wasn't taught about the Easter rising or ww1 or 2 for that matter.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 21:47]

No offence taken. I thought you were having a mild swipe at the Scottish but I found the question reasonable.

100 years since Easter Rising on 10:08 - Mar 28 with 1694 viewsMonahoop

100 years since Easter Rising on 20:05 - Mar 27 by Rangersw12

Are they teaching WW1 in schools yet or are they still ignoring the 50,000 Irishman who died

As far as I know, WW 1 is still largely deleted from the common curriculum in schools in the south, I can't speak for the north, but there is huge emphasis, naturally on events such as the Easter Rising. It's a bit like history taught in schools in England ignoring, or at least when I was being educated, events such as the Easter Rising or any other uprisings or defeats of the British within the the realms of the British Empire. All I was ever taught were the successes. Even events like Singapore in WW2 were taught as though it was a strategic retreat from Japanese forces, when in all honesty it was a total, shambolic rout. History was never taught correctly in schools in my day and may never still be.
As for Ireland's stance towards WW1, there has been a considerable cooling of attitudes towards it's involvement. There have been plenty of programmes on TV and radio about Irish men and womens involvement, lots of books written and there is a general relaxation from many people speaking about their families involvement in the conflict,without too much scrutiny and venom thrown about by Republicans and ultra nationalists stifling talk or any mention of the conflict by many of Ireland's inhabitants. Twenty or thirty years ago one had to be careful who they spoke to or prefer not to say anything. Things have thankfully changed in many parts of Ireland, not all, but schools still have a long way to go in teaching children awareness of it WW1

There aint half been some clever bastards.

100 years since Easter Rising on 10:26 - Mar 28 with 1675 viewsBrianMcCarthy

100 years since Easter Rising on 13:43 - Mar 27 by TheBlob

Happy Anniversary Ireland.

Can we have our bailout money back now please?

Ha! That was a loan, Blob. Already paid back in full.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

100 years since Easter Rising on 10:39 - Mar 28 with 1649 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Most people I know are a bit bemused by the 1916 centenary commemorations.

Firstly, there's the fact that it's essentially a celebration of a violent act and that in itself sits uneasily in modern Ireland - a violent act that ended in the death of hundreds of civilians, forty-odd children, a resounding defeat and the initial disapproval and disdain of the Dublin people who spat on the conquered rebels.

Later, the typically cack-handed response of the oppressive British forces who resorted to executions and internment turned the rebels into martyrs and it was this response that ensured that the 1916 rising, rather than the countless other risings, was the one that eventually led to freedom of sorts.

I say freedom of sorts, because the second strange aspect of the current celebrations is that they ignore the fact that the Irish Republic is still only in existence in twenty-six of the thirty-two counties. This is being conveniently forgotten this week.

As for WW1, I know that Irish schools are now emphasising this more than in my time. I studied history in Irish and English schools in the '80s and the propaganda in both countries was frightening.

100 years since Easter Rising on 10:53 - Mar 28 with 1620 viewsRangersw12

100 years since Easter Rising on 10:39 - Mar 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Most people I know are a bit bemused by the 1916 centenary commemorations.

Firstly, there's the fact that it's essentially a celebration of a violent act and that in itself sits uneasily in modern Ireland - a violent act that ended in the death of hundreds of civilians, forty-odd children, a resounding defeat and the initial disapproval and disdain of the Dublin people who spat on the conquered rebels.

Later, the typically cack-handed response of the oppressive British forces who resorted to executions and internment turned the rebels into martyrs and it was this response that ensured that the 1916 rising, rather than the countless other risings, was the one that eventually led to freedom of sorts.

I say freedom of sorts, because the second strange aspect of the current celebrations is that they ignore the fact that the Irish Republic is still only in existence in twenty-six of the thirty-two counties. This is being conveniently forgotten this week.

As for WW1, I know that Irish schools are now emphasising this more than in my time. I studied history in Irish and English schools in the '80s and the propaganda in both countries was frightening.

You have also conveniently forgotten there isn't support for a United Ireland
100 years since Easter Rising on 11:08 - Mar 28 with 1600 viewsBrianMcCarthy

100 years since Easter Rising on 10:53 - Mar 28 by Rangersw12

You have also conveniently forgotten there isn't support for a United Ireland

Well, there is. Massive overwhelming support. However, like me, most are utterly opposed to violence as a means of achieving it. It's written into both constitutions now that it will be delivered when and only when republicans and unionists both vote for it, and that's the way it will remain and rightly so.

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:21 - Mar 28 with 1571 viewskomradkirk

I watched the coverage from Dublin yesterday and from a Loyalist/Unionist view i found it dignified and respectable.Unlike some of the dissident republican activity happening here this weekend and the weeks leading up to it.
For GCE I did the Irish situation from famine to partition only whereas the British history went right through to the end of WW2.I really enjoyed it.
It will be a big year here in terms of commemeration and remembrance with The Somme and The Rising so everyone will need to show a bit of respect or it could go tits up.
100 years since Easter Rising on 11:28 - Mar 28 with 1545 viewsMrSheen

It will be very interesting to see how the Civil War is commemorated. I grew up listening to my dad's tapes of songs about MacDermott and Pearse and Plunkett, Kevin Barry, bold Mac Swiney and all the others killed by the British, but nothing of the hundreds hanged or shot by fellow Irishmen after the treaty.
100 years since Easter Rising on 11:34 - Mar 28 with 1537 viewsizlingtonhoop

100 years since Easter Rising on 10:08 - Mar 28 by Monahoop

As far as I know, WW 1 is still largely deleted from the common curriculum in schools in the south, I can't speak for the north, but there is huge emphasis, naturally on events such as the Easter Rising. It's a bit like history taught in schools in England ignoring, or at least when I was being educated, events such as the Easter Rising or any other uprisings or defeats of the British within the the realms of the British Empire. All I was ever taught were the successes. Even events like Singapore in WW2 were taught as though it was a strategic retreat from Japanese forces, when in all honesty it was a total, shambolic rout. History was never taught correctly in schools in my day and may never still be.
As for Ireland's stance towards WW1, there has been a considerable cooling of attitudes towards it's involvement. There have been plenty of programmes on TV and radio about Irish men and womens involvement, lots of books written and there is a general relaxation from many people speaking about their families involvement in the conflict,without too much scrutiny and venom thrown about by Republicans and ultra nationalists stifling talk or any mention of the conflict by many of Ireland's inhabitants. Twenty or thirty years ago one had to be careful who they spoke to or prefer not to say anything. Things have thankfully changed in many parts of Ireland, not all, but schools still have a long way to go in teaching children awareness of it WW1

@History was never taught correctly in schools in my day and may never still be. 

With respect, I'm presuming you've never studied historical theory if you believe there is a "correct" way to teach or interpret History.

As regards teaching History, the aim ought to be to teach the skills of the historian. Although fellow R's fan - and arch-nincompoop former Education Secretary has deemed the teaching of FACTS! as the "correct" approach.
100 years since Easter Rising on 11:36 - Mar 28 with 1534 viewsBrianMcCarthy

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:21 - Mar 28 by komradkirk

I watched the coverage from Dublin yesterday and from a Loyalist/Unionist view i found it dignified and respectable.Unlike some of the dissident republican activity happening here this weekend and the weeks leading up to it.
For GCE I did the Irish situation from famine to partition only whereas the British history went right through to the end of WW2.I really enjoyed it.
It will be a big year here in terms of commemeration and remembrance with The Somme and The Rising so everyone will need to show a bit of respect or it could go tits up.

Glad you fund it dignified and respectable. That seems to be the consensus. I didn't watch it myself.

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:39 - Mar 28 with 1525 viewsBrianMcCarthy

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:28 - Mar 28 by MrSheen

It will be very interesting to see how the Civil War is commemorated. I grew up listening to my dad's tapes of songs about MacDermott and Pearse and Plunkett, Kevin Barry, bold Mac Swiney and all the others killed by the British, but nothing of the hundreds hanged or shot by fellow Irishmen after the treaty.

Very good point. The Civil War is still alive in the minds of some hairy old bigots, so that will be interesting.

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:46 - Mar 28 with 1516 viewsMrSheen

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:39 - Mar 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Very good point. The Civil War is still alive in the minds of some hairy old bigots, so that will be interesting.

Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil can set up a grand coalition to work on it.
100 years since Easter Rising on 11:47 - Mar 28 with 1514 viewsHollowayRanger

100 years since Easter Rising on 09:08 - Mar 28 by francisbowles

Did you mean the rebel county i.e. Wexford?

No county cork is the rebel county ,place is full of monuments to ambushes and graves micheal Collins was born just up the road in clon,, Clonakilty

i still cant help given them a sly bit of british spittal when i pass them

The county is colloquially referred to as "The Rebel County". This name has 15th Century origins, but from the 20th century the name has been more commonly attributed to the prominent role Cork played in the Irish War of Independence (1919—1921) when it was the scene of considerable fighting. In addition, it was an anti-treaty stronghold during the Irish Civil War (1922—23). Much of what is now county Cork was once part of the Kingdom of Deas Mumhan (South Munster), anglicised as "Desmond", ruled by the MacCarthy Mór dynasty. After the Norman Invasion in the 12th century, the McCarthy clan were pushed westward into what is now West Cork and County Kerry. Dunlough Castle, standing just north of Mizen Head, is one of the oldest castles in Ireland (A.D. 1207). The north and east of Cork were taken by the Hiberno-Norman FitzGerald dynasty, who became the Earls of Desmond. Cork City was given an English Royal Charter in 1318 and for many centuries was an outpost for Old English culture. The Fitzgerald Desmond dynasty was destroyed in the Desmond Rebellions of 1569—1573 and 1579—83. Much of county Cork was devastated in the fighting, particularly in the Second Desmond Rebellion. In the aftermath, much of Cork was colonised by English settlers in the Plantation of Munster.

In 1491 Cork played a part in the English Wars of the Roses when Perkin Warbeck, a pretender to the English throne, landed in the city and tried to recruit support for a plot to overthrow Henry VII of England. The Cork people fought with Perkin because he was French and not English, they were the only county in Ireland to join the fight. The mayor of Cork and several important citizens went with Warbeck to England but when the rebellion collapsed they were all captured and executed. Cork's nickname of the 'rebel city' originates in these events.

In 1601 the decisive Battle of Kinsale took place in County Cork, which was to lead to English domination of Ireland for centuries. Kinsale had been the scene of a landing of Spanish troops to help Irish rebels in the Nine Years' War (1594—1603). When this force was defeated, the rebel hopes for victory in the war were all but ended. County Cork was officially created by a division of the older County Desmond in 1606.

In the 19th century, Cork was a centre for the Fenians and for the constitutional nationalism of the Irish Parliamentary Party, from 1910 that of the All-for-Ireland Party. The county was a hotbed of guerrilla activity during the Irish War of Independence (1919—1921). Three Cork Brigades of the Irish Republican Army operated in the county and another in the city. Prominent actions included the Kilmichael Ambush in November 1920 and the Crossbarry Ambush in March 1921. The activity of IRA flying columns, such as the one under Tom Barry in west Cork, was popularised in the Ken Loach film The Wind That Shakes The Barley. On 11 December 1920 Cork City centre was gutted by fires started by the Black and Tans in reprisal for IRA attacks. Over 300 buildings were destroyed, many other towns and villages around the county suffered a similar fate including Fermoy

During the Irish Civil War (1922—23), most of the IRA units in Cork sided against the Anglo-Irish Treaty. From July to August 1922 they held the city and county as part of the so-called Munster Republic. However, Cork was taken by troops of the Irish Free State in August 1922 in the Irish Free State offensive, that included both overland and seaborne attacks. For the remainder of the war, the county saw sporadic guerrilla fighting until the Anti-Treaty side called a ceasefire and dumped their arms in May 1923. Michael Collins, a key figure in the War of Independence, was born near Clonakilty and assassinated during the civil war in Béal na Bláth, both in west Cork.

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:48 - Mar 28 with 1512 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

100 years since Easter Rising on 11:08 - Mar 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, there is. Massive overwhelming support. However, like me, most are utterly opposed to violence as a means of achieving it. It's written into both constitutions now that it will be delivered when and only when republicans and unionists both vote for it, and that's the way it will remain and rightly so.

How do you feel about the 1973 referendum Brian? Surely the citizens of the other counties have a right to decide who they are?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024