Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Secret Agent 14:03 - Aug 1 with 1612 viewsToast_R

BBC1 - What was that all about then?
Three consecutive Sunday evenings's I'll never get back.

The Secret Agent on 14:29 - Aug 1 with 1547 viewsTearsofrage

Stunning TV but nowhere near as good as the book itself. In terms of understanding political chicanery, agents provocateurs, dirty tricks, lies, deceptions and just nasty tricks Conrad was 100 years before his time. There are plenty of simpletons like Stevie who have been indoctrinated into being "the perfect detonator" (The Professor's words) and who believe explosions can change the world and plenty of cynical manipulators like Verloc who are only too happy to egg them on - Iraq, Afghanistan, Paris, Nice, London 7/7, New York 9/11. Conrad pokes fun at ineffective "anarchists" but highlights that the real danger comes from oppressive regimes. In the novel although the embassy could be Russian it's never absolutely clear. The serialisation names Vladimir and the Russians as being behind the dirty tricks. Funny ain't it that Trump seems to be in bed with Putin and that there are plenty of "patriots" in both this country and the USA who identify "foreign" with "evil".
The Secret Agent on 14:33 - Aug 1 with 1535 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I missed this, is it as good as the 'Night Manager'?

Ensconced in Versailles at the moment I think it's brilliant.

I want a part in series 2 if there is one, I'd be cheap as I wouldn't need a wig.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Secret Agent on 15:04 - Aug 1 with 1467 viewsBoston

The Secret Agent on 14:29 - Aug 1 by Tearsofrage

Stunning TV but nowhere near as good as the book itself. In terms of understanding political chicanery, agents provocateurs, dirty tricks, lies, deceptions and just nasty tricks Conrad was 100 years before his time. There are plenty of simpletons like Stevie who have been indoctrinated into being "the perfect detonator" (The Professor's words) and who believe explosions can change the world and plenty of cynical manipulators like Verloc who are only too happy to egg them on - Iraq, Afghanistan, Paris, Nice, London 7/7, New York 9/11. Conrad pokes fun at ineffective "anarchists" but highlights that the real danger comes from oppressive regimes. In the novel although the embassy could be Russian it's never absolutely clear. The serialisation names Vladimir and the Russians as being behind the dirty tricks. Funny ain't it that Trump seems to be in bed with Putin and that there are plenty of "patriots" in both this country and the USA who identify "foreign" with "evil".

There are others who view 'foreign' (in large numbers), as cheap labour brought in to undermine the conditions of the Working Class.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Secret Agent on 15:19 - Aug 1 with 1418 viewsDannyPaddox

The Secret Agent on 15:04 - Aug 1 by Boston

There are others who view 'foreign' (in large numbers), as cheap labour brought in to undermine the conditions of the Working Class.

Just like Conrad himself. I mean ... these Polish born writers coming over here, nicking our plotlines, writing some of the best British novels of the modern era.
The Secret Agent on 15:32 - Aug 1 with 1389 viewsToast_R

The production was pretty consistent which you'd hang your hat on with the cast involved in this - but for me, I just didn't rate the story. Did it do the book justice? I've never read it. I was waiting for this series to explode (pardon the pun) into life but it just didn't and the ending just made the whole thing fairly pointless all round. There has been plenty adaptations made over the years and the conclusion tends to be that it's very difficult to bring in to the screen or stage.
The Secret Agent on 18:45 - Aug 1 with 1169 viewssuperstan

Watched about 15 mins of episode one thought it was a bit slow so recorded, won't bother watching now, thanks.
The Secret Agent on 22:10 - Aug 1 with 999 viewsMrSheen

I remember the BBC doing a version about 20 years ago too. Hadn't spotted this latest one. The book is quite good, but Conrad can be very heavy going. Nostromo was really hard work, very dense writing style, you feel you have to keep going over it two or three times to take it in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024