Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) 18:22 - Sep 4 with 13296 viewsloftboy

3 points from 6 games see them 2nd from bottom in league 1, anyone at the game at highfield road in 1986 where they had to beat us to remain in the top flight? We took the lead before duly losing 2-1, at the end of the game there was a massive pitch invasion, the Qpr fans clapped the Coventry fans who promptly ran towards us and started throwing stones and whatever they could get their hands on at us, the walk back to the station was pretty hairy as well, I'm so pleased to see that they are finally getting their just rewards.
And yes I am a bitter long memories old git.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 18:31 - Sep 4 with 8827 viewsWatford_Ranger

I wasn't even born in 1986 and hate Coventry too. Most Midlands clubs are dislikeable but Villa and Coventry by far the worst. Quite like Birmingham having studied there.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 18:47 - Sep 4 with 8786 viewsRs_Holy

It all went wrong for them when they moved to the Ricoh... They appeared to be going in the right direction when they left and played at Northamptons ground for a couple of seasons. Then sh1te again a few months after returning to that hell hole of a stadium. The place is cursed.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 19:28 - Sep 4 with 8703 viewsBoston

Happy to witness Coventry's demise. I got a right hiding up there one year, lucky I wasn't wrecked for life, still got a few identifiable wounds from the encounter. On the bright side...a Copper did offer me a hanky, nice but I was more in need of stitches and a drip.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 19:45 - Sep 4 with 8672 viewsCamberleyR

Can't believe it's got to four posts in the thread and nobody mentioning Eoin "One Goal For Coventry" Jess....

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:09 - Sep 4 with 8615 viewsoddball

i was at that game in 86,me and some tasty chaps.met some of there lot in the park after the game as we were in no mood for pleasentries we duly smashed them all over the place some of them risking getting run over by running into oncoming trafic rather than face the wrath of west london.not big, not clever, but f uck it, its coventry.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:16 - Sep 4 with 8596 viewsqueensparker

On a happier note remember a great Tuesday evening game up there early in the season in the early 90s that put us top of the league, 1-0 with (I think) Impey getting the winner. The start of some great times with that team.

Was with my brother and after the game we both couldn't remember where we'd left the car. Walked around Coventry all night looking for it. Not exactly one of God's chosen cities
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:19 - Sep 4 with 8586 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Had a gorgeous balti in Coventry after that '96 game with my Coventry friend.

Glad I shared that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:19 - Sep 4 with 8586 viewsBoston

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:16 - Sep 4 by queensparker

On a happier note remember a great Tuesday evening game up there early in the season in the early 90s that put us top of the league, 1-0 with (I think) Impey getting the winner. The start of some great times with that team.

Was with my brother and after the game we both couldn't remember where we'd left the car. Walked around Coventry all night looking for it. Not exactly one of God's chosen cities

Chosen by the Germans though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:24 - Sep 4 with 8573 viewsCamberleyR

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:16 - Sep 4 by queensparker

We ALWAYS seemed to beat Coventry at Highfield Road in the 90s (good record at LR too), I remember away winners from Sinclair with ten men after Holloway I think got sent off and Bruno steamrollering through their defence. Always seemed to beat them away from home until the one game we REALLY bloody had to win there...

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:25 - Sep 4 with 8564 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Brilliant day and night out that was.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:28 - Sep 4 with 8545 viewsrsonist

Not fond of Cov for the above reasons mentioned but the manner of their degradation is still repugnant for football as a whole. Only the scum should have to go through that.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:37 - Sep 4 with 8527 viewsCamberleyR

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:28 - Sep 4 by rsonist

Not fond of Cov for the above reasons mentioned but the manner of their degradation is still repugnant for football as a whole. Only the scum should have to go through that.

They sold a ground they owned to move to a rented ground they don't so some of it was self inflicted initially. Having said that those owners they have sound nasty pieces of work.

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 20:41 - Sep 4 with 8509 viewsWatford_Ranger

Getting a last minute winner under Holloway at Highfield Road was a good one. Think Santos got the winner which the linesman gave.

Also the kid on loan from Chelsea getting a 1-0 there in a terrible Championship game the season Danny Cullip and similar dross put a good run together to stay up.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 21:20 - Sep 4 with 8418 viewsLblock

Was that not Devon White who scored in that game?

Never liked Coventry.
Been there loads of times and that relegation battle certainly was a battle outside afterwards

Went to the opening game of the Ricoh. Well I say opening but that was pushing it - never know how they got a licence to use it that day; nowhere near finished with the bogs leaking onto the home fans in one area. I also absolutely detest anywhere that's "park & ride" as it makes for a soulless crap away day

Let them rot....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 21:27 - Sep 4 with 8402 viewseasthertsr

Old enough to remember Stan scoring a last minute winner from a free kick to win a cup replay against Cov. We led for ten seconds over the 210 minutes both games lasted. Always hated them after the relegation match. Hope they end up in the Conference!
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 21:47 - Sep 4 with 8356 viewsCamberleyR

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 21:20 - Sep 4 by Lblock

Was that not Devon White who scored in that game?

Never liked Coventry.
Been there loads of times and that relegation battle certainly was a battle outside afterwards

Went to the opening game of the Ricoh. Well I say opening but that was pushing it - never know how they got a licence to use it that day; nowhere near finished with the bogs leaking onto the home fans in one area. I also absolutely detest anywhere that's "park & ride" as it makes for a soulless crap away day

Let them rot....

No, it was Impey. Devon White got the winner there in a 1-0 win the following season.

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 22:19 - Sep 4 with 8290 viewskensalriser

Talk of Coventry's hooligans always reminds me of the hilarious Coventry fanzine Ded Yampy from circa 1980, which dedicated many column inches to taking the piss out of the local louts:

https://standupandspit.wordpress.com/2015/11/20/ded-yampy-again/

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 07:48 - Sep 5 with 8092 viewsStanFan

Don't care for Coventry one way or the other but there's always a bit of a fascination when big clubs fall so far.
My main memories of them were Clive Allen's hatrick in his home debut. Just checked - it was 1979. We were already relegated from the old Div 1 I think.
That and the hideous brown kit.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 07:51 - Sep 5 with 8086 viewsNorthernr

Did a piece for the old Rivals site before we went there for the opening of the Ricoh saying moving out of a perfectly adequate city centre stadium which they owned and weren't filling into an out of town arena where the rent payments necessitated them getting 18,000 at every home game just to break even (which they'd never managed before) was the worst idea I'd ever heard and would ultimately lead to the demise of the entire club. Got absolute pelters for it from their fans who said I was jealous that QPR weren't able to do the same.

So fck them for a start, never been so right about anything in my life.

Secondly, anything which means I don't have to go to the Ricoh Arena is a wonderful, wonderful thing - another Coventry relegation fits squarely into that. Worst new ground ever built. Design, style, location, pubs, parking, trains... the place is an absolute fcking cesspit. I'd rather go to Kenilworth Road.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 08:37 - Sep 5 with 8032 viewsBrightonhoop

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 07:51 - Sep 5 by Northernr

Did a piece for the old Rivals site before we went there for the opening of the Ricoh saying moving out of a perfectly adequate city centre stadium which they owned and weren't filling into an out of town arena where the rent payments necessitated them getting 18,000 at every home game just to break even (which they'd never managed before) was the worst idea I'd ever heard and would ultimately lead to the demise of the entire club. Got absolute pelters for it from their fans who said I was jealous that QPR weren't able to do the same.

So fck them for a start, never been so right about anything in my life.

Secondly, anything which means I don't have to go to the Ricoh Arena is a wonderful, wonderful thing - another Coventry relegation fits squarely into that. Worst new ground ever built. Design, style, location, pubs, parking, trains... the place is an absolute fcking cesspit. I'd rather go to Kenilworth Road.

I seem to remember that Clive. Wasn't there trouble in a pre-season tour in Italy with their supporters that season?

Horrible Club, always disliked them, so not sorry to see their demise.
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 08:45 - Sep 5 with 8011 viewsRangersDave

I had the misfortune to book the adjoining hotel for 2 night a few years back, to be told after a mediocre night sleep that I needed to pack everything and move out because the room converted into a hospitality box for the match that day, and I could only move back into the room after 7pm when they had converted it back!

Feck ing souless Shyte hole than needs removing from the face of the earth....whether I mean the ground or the city is for you to decide!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 08:53 - Sep 5 with 7989 viewsbillericaydicky

Didn't they get their comeuppence in Ibiza a few years back?
The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 09:10 - Sep 5 with 7951 viewsstonebridgers

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 08:53 - Sep 5 by billericaydicky

Didn't they get their comeuppence in Ibiza a few years back?

2 things remind me of the Skyblues.
I had one of the strangest conversations in a Coventry pub. We found the pub not too far away from Highfield Road and outside it advertised Sky Sports so our party agreed to watch the early kick off in the said establishment. We walked in ordered our drinks and asked for the game to be switched on only to be told that they did not have Skysports but he could put on the original Superman film if we wanted to watch it.
The other is the 5-1 win that cost Bobby Gould his job and the own goal they scored. Pure comedy gold

Stonebridgers

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 09:14 - Sep 5 with 7935 viewspaulparker

had the misfortune to work there about 7 years ago collecting debts funny enough my area was near the ricoh what a fcuking shithole that place is , some proper mutants living around there
as for old Highfield road Ive been twice , the Eion Jess 1-0 loss in 96 , I think we took around 4k that day and there was plenty of afters when the game had finished
also back in 91 when we drew 2-2 with 2 last minute goals from penrice when we were out of the game, it was p1ssing down cold and we had about 500 there

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 10:00 - Sep 5 with 7869 viewsMick_S

The demise of Coventry City (long standing grudge on my part) on 07:48 - Sep 5 by StanFan

Don't care for Coventry one way or the other but there's always a bit of a fascination when big clubs fall so far.
My main memories of them were Clive Allen's hatrick in his home debut. Just checked - it was 1979. We were already relegated from the old Div 1 I think.
That and the hideous brown kit.

David Luiz in shock Coventry transfer.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024