Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Negative Nellie! 21:23 - Jan 1 with 2771 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Ok, wanted to ask this after we beat Wolves, but everyone was running around like they'd just won the lottery and world peace had been announced.

If Manning was such a revelation, a natural left footer that can play winger or mid, why has it taken several "injured" players to elevate him to first team play??

Do our management and coaching staff just watch those on the highest wages and completely ignore our up and coming youth??

Just asking like....
Negative Nellie! on 21:26 - Jan 1 with 2762 viewsLongsufferingR

Don't really think anybody said he was a revelation. Very promising, but if he was some sort of wonderkid, he'd have been in the side a long time ago.
Negative Nellie! on 21:40 - Jan 1 with 2706 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Negative Nellie! on 21:26 - Jan 1 by LongsufferingR

Don't really think anybody said he was a revelation. Very promising, but if he was some sort of wonderkid, he'd have been in the side a long time ago.

Fair enough. Just been reading and hearing that he was a revelation which made me ask.

Seems like we've got a promising lad nontheless and I hope he gets more matches.
Negative Nellie! on 22:03 - Jan 1 with 2643 viewsNeil_SI

You always have to take your time with these kind of things. They had high hopes for him when they signed him as a youngster, and actually, I had expected him to make an appearance for the first-team and be in and around the squad before now, but for whatever reason, perhaps he hadn't progressed as quickly or as much as they hoped and that's why it's taken until now (with others nipping in ahead of him in the queue).

But it's easy to make the mistake of judging a player after just one appearance, irrespective of whether it was a good or bad display. It's always better to judge over a longer period, and often with debuts, they can go either way but don't necessarily mean anything because you can't answer all of the questions you need to about a player and his make up across 90 minutes.

It's obviously very pleasing to see another youngster coming through, of course, and all the more that the debut went well. In that sense, we have done very well over the past season with introducing so many kids into the first-team squad. It's way more than I expected, and they've generally done better than I expected, even if I think there is a long way to go with a lot of them, and that they still need time to find their feet.

What you look for in kids is their ability to consistently perform at their maximum level and how they cope under different circumstances and pressure situations. You obviously get a clearer picture of this with the more experience and exposure they get at first-team level, and hopefully in most cases, it gives them the opportunity to grow and improve further.
Negative Nellie! on 22:29 - Jan 1 with 2540 viewsDannytheR

Negative Nellie! on 22:03 - Jan 1 by Neil_SI

You always have to take your time with these kind of things. They had high hopes for him when they signed him as a youngster, and actually, I had expected him to make an appearance for the first-team and be in and around the squad before now, but for whatever reason, perhaps he hadn't progressed as quickly or as much as they hoped and that's why it's taken until now (with others nipping in ahead of him in the queue).

But it's easy to make the mistake of judging a player after just one appearance, irrespective of whether it was a good or bad display. It's always better to judge over a longer period, and often with debuts, they can go either way but don't necessarily mean anything because you can't answer all of the questions you need to about a player and his make up across 90 minutes.

It's obviously very pleasing to see another youngster coming through, of course, and all the more that the debut went well. In that sense, we have done very well over the past season with introducing so many kids into the first-team squad. It's way more than I expected, and they've generally done better than I expected, even if I think there is a long way to go with a lot of them, and that they still need time to find their feet.

What you look for in kids is their ability to consistently perform at their maximum level and how they cope under different circumstances and pressure situations. You obviously get a clearer picture of this with the more experience and exposure they get at first-team level, and hopefully in most cases, it gives them the opportunity to grow and improve further.

If we can end the season with Shodipo, Manning, Kakay, Furlong and Doughty all regularly bobbing around the first team squad, how much more of an achievement would it be than spending £100m and scraping the play offs?

For the first time since the days of Langley and Leon Jeanne, you could genuinely point to us as an example of a London club in the top half of the League who would give talented kids a viable route to the first team, rather than disappearing into the fetid swamp of Chelsea's academy and making your league debut at 25. Good for us, good for football.

Now if we can stay out of the bottom three this season...
Negative Nellie! on 22:36 - Jan 1 with 2507 viewsLblock

Negative Nellie! on 22:29 - Jan 1 by DannytheR

If we can end the season with Shodipo, Manning, Kakay, Furlong and Doughty all regularly bobbing around the first team squad, how much more of an achievement would it be than spending £100m and scraping the play offs?

For the first time since the days of Langley and Leon Jeanne, you could genuinely point to us as an example of a London club in the top half of the League who would give talented kids a viable route to the first team, rather than disappearing into the fetid swamp of Chelsea's academy and making your league debut at 25. Good for us, good for football.

Now if we can stay out of the bottom three this season...

Stay up and that being the case then we are in agreement.

Blimey

If only another Sir Les / Ray Jones could be unearthed.............

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Negative Nellie! on 23:18 - Jan 1 with 2389 viewsBakes

Same thing happened with Rashford at Man U, he had no chance of getting in the team but a few injuries meant he was put in, took his chance and never looked back. Maybe the same will happen with manning, or maybe it will be like what happened with Petrasso, Doughty and Grego-Cox, a couple of games and then sent on a loan spell.

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Negative Nellie! on 00:13 - Jan 2 with 2295 viewsconnell10

Just watched the full game on player and manning looked very good , gets stuck in , has a nice pass on him and the best thing about him was he didnt appear to be over awed by the situation he found himself in ! i mean that was a very important game for rangers and the kid just took it in his stride , that marks him out for me!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Negative Nellie! on 01:45 - Jan 2 with 2202 viewsPunteR

Negative Nellie! on 00:13 - Jan 2 by connell10

Just watched the full game on player and manning looked very good , gets stuck in , has a nice pass on him and the best thing about him was he didnt appear to be over awed by the situation he found himself in ! i mean that was a very important game for rangers and the kid just took it in his stride , that marks him out for me!

Yeh just watched the game. I thought Manning looked pretty composed on the ball ,passed it around well and got stuck in. Look forward to his next game. I thought Sandro had a good game as well.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Negative Nellie! on 01:56 - Jan 2 with 2189 viewsNorthernr

Negative Nellie! on 01:45 - Jan 2 by PunteR

Yeh just watched the game. I thought Manning looked pretty composed on the ball ,passed it around well and got stuck in. Look forward to his next game. I thought Sandro had a good game as well.

The one two that sent the lad through for Smithies to save with his legs. Just watch Sandro through that move.
Negative Nellie! on 10:22 - Jan 2 with 1907 viewsHunterhoop

Negative Nellie! on 01:56 - Jan 2 by Northernr

The one two that sent the lad through for Smithies to save with his legs. Just watch Sandro through that move.

Exactly what I thought when I watched it, Clive. Exactly like Rotherham's goal. Either he's a lazy fcker or his legs have gone.

On the extended highlights, look at his positioning for a shot from the edge of the box by their CM. Rather than close him down he'd retreated past the back 4 and deflected it for a corner.

In another he completely fails to close down the crosser when he's the nearest to him.

Apart from enjoying our goals, the second thing that struck me was how bad his positioning was in almost every single clip.

Holloway and the coaches should be all over this in the video analysis. That one two, you highlight, Clive was basic Sunday league stuff.
Negative Nellie! on 11:25 - Jan 2 with 1851 viewsPunteR

Negative Nellie! on 01:56 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Yeh, had to watch it again on the highlights.
He tried to get his foot in, stumbled a bit as his man passed the ball but he didn't track him for the one two and his man was away. No way was he going to catch him.
Lazy?.. I'm not so sure, as he put in a shift for the rest of the match, I thought anyway. He put in some important tackles, and covered a lot of the pitch.
I think its more of the case of damaged goods. Thanks Arry.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Negative Nellie! on 12:05 - Jan 2 with 1784 viewsPinnerPaul

The answer is in Clive's excellent match preview.

Yes he did OK, but this being real life, and not Championship manager, it doesn't mean he should/will play well in the next match, let alone the rest of season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024