Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recommendation 12:35 - Feb 12 with 782 viewsMungoJezza

In order to provide some light relief from all the gloom and doom laden posts on this forum, I thought I'd recommend a book that I've been reading that many of you, particularly those of you that grew up in the 70's and 80's like I did , will absolutely love!

"Get Shirty" is the book follow up to the excellent documentary from 2016 chronicling the rise and fall of Admiral Sportswear. Very much a labour of love by author Andy Wells, the book represents a genuine source of social history, harking back to an age when much of this country's manufacturing output was created locally. It seems hard to believe that a small textiles firm from Wigston in Leicester, previously known for manufacturing underwear, could effectively create the replica kit market through a series of bold and innovative marketing strategies.
Of course, Rangers had a brief flirtation with Admiral, who were kit suppliers for part of 1974-75 season. The book mentions that some of the Rangers players threatened to go on strike if the cash advance provided by Admiral was not distributed amongst the players (as at Leeds and other clubs).
Whilst reading this book a wave of nostalgia has swept over me - Admiral kits were always my favourite growing up, because of their innovative and intricate designs.

Here's a link to the book:

https://www.conkereditions.co.uk/product/getshirty/

Here's a link to a trailer of the documentary:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024