Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Phillips 11:54 - Oct 22 with 2865 viewssdm1508

I was really excited by this signing when we first got him. I really thought once he was fit he would be a real asset. What do you think has gone wrong for him? Is it really just fitness and confidence or is there something more? He seems to offer nothing going forward (at the moment) and falls asleep when marking or tracking back.

I even thought the obese Adel would offer something more at the moment, at least going forward. His lack of tracking back you could plan for as you know he probably won't do it anyway but it's a bit harder to plan for someone like Phillips who shows willing but keeps on falling asleep at vital times.

I think Phillips is a good player, he has all the attributes. He showed a glimpse of it before his injury last season. He just seems to have gone backwards even more now
Matt Phillips on 11:54 - Oct 22 with 2216 viewsNorthernr

I think it's a combination of a succession of injuries meaning he's in and out of the side and low on confidence. He looks really poor at the moment.
Matt Phillips on 11:56 - Oct 22 with 2206 viewsdaveB

typical young winger in that he is wildly inconsistent. He has a really good cross on him, decent shot and good in the air but struggles to put it all together. He's someone we should be taking time to coach and improve and we could have a player on our hands. We'll probably just replace him in January though
Matt Phillips on 11:59 - Oct 22 with 2182 viewspaulparker

Matt Phillips on 11:56 - Oct 22 by daveB

typical young winger in that he is wildly inconsistent. He has a really good cross on him, decent shot and good in the air but struggles to put it all together. He's someone we should be taking time to coach and improve and we could have a player on our hands. We'll probably just replace him in January though

Coach & Improve,????
Sorry what does this mean,
oh I know is it where we buy Aarron Lennon for 10 million sell Phillips to Palace for 2 million , Warnock turns him into a world beater and Lennon then turns out to be injured with dodgy knees
is that it ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Matt Phillips on 12:02 - Oct 22 with 2163 viewsjohncharles

Matt Phillips on 11:59 - Oct 22 by paulparker

Coach & Improve,????
oh I know is it where we buy Aarron Lennon for 10 million sell Phillips to Palace for 2 million , Warnock turns him into a world beater and Lennon then turns out to be injured with dodgy knees
is that it ?

You're getting the hang of it

Strong and stable my arse.

Matt Phillips on 12:30 - Oct 22 with 2082 viewsDiscodroids

does he room with hans peter traore on away trips???.

it would seem so given his timid , furtive style.

(sorry pom)

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Matt Phillips on 12:49 - Oct 22 with 2023 viewsPommyhoop

Matt Phillips on 12:30 - Oct 22 by Discodroids

does he room with hans peter traore on away trips???.

it would seem so given his timid , furtive style.

(sorry pom)

Nah you're alright DD.
The last couple Armand hasnt been great.Maybe the old monkeys on his back again.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Matt Phillips on 13:10 - Oct 22 with 1968 viewsDevonWhite

There's a good player in there somewhere and he's definitely worth persisting with. Needs to get his confidence back and stay injury free. He's the best crosser of the ball at the club and offers pace, something we chronically lack in the squad.
Matt Phillips on 13:25 - Oct 22 with 1919 viewsTacticalR

Seems to be struggling at the moment.

Remember when everybody was saying that we should be getting in rough diamonds from the lower divisions? The problem with rough diamonds is that they are a bit...rough, and therefore need some polishing.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Phillips on 13:41 - Oct 22 with 1872 viewsbaz_qpr

He is aimless , and he needs some Gerry Francis man management and coaching.

I dont see any of our players that have improved over the last few years, which is also part of the issue
Matt Phillips on 13:46 - Oct 22 with 1854 viewsWestminsteRs

Matt Phillips on 13:41 - Oct 22 by baz_qpr

He is aimless , and he needs some Gerry Francis man management and coaching.

I dont see any of our players that have improved over the last few years, which is also part of the issue

Agree 100%

He just needs to be told to be direct and run at people but too often he turns inside and looks for an easy pass. Maybe that's confidence but if we wanted someone to do that we have other options.
Matt Phillips on 13:47 - Oct 22 with 1853 viewsBasingstokeR

All the basics there to be a very good player for us.

We just don't have a recent history of improving players though, its questionable if he's being coached in a way that he'd improve; and not getting consistent game time either - and is not being given much leeway (imho) by a lot of fans when he comes back into the team each time.
Matt Phillips on 14:06 - Oct 22 with 1815 viewsW13R

Coach & Improve,????
is that it ?

Spot on, might as well rename ourselves Spurs C team.
Matt Phillips on 14:10 - Oct 22 with 1798 viewsTheBlob

Matt Phillips on 11:54 - Oct 22 by Northernr

I think it's a combination of a succession of injuries meaning he's in and out of the side and low on confidence. He looks really poor at the moment.

Yes the body language and snatching at everything looks like a confidence thing.Needs a few sessions with our motivational therapist - if still around.
Always thought he was better played on the left cutting in on the right foot.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Matt Phillips on 14:18 - Oct 22 with 1775 viewsQPR_ARG

To me he's one of those cases that will depend on the context.

Put him in an organised team, play him consistently IN HIS NATURAL POSITION and see the good results come.

Some players (especially those who don't play in "skill positions" -defenders, centre-midfielders, etc.), are not so dependent on the context, but even the likes of Messi would suffer from this.

He was winning every individual award and team trophy with Barcelona and he was anonymous playing for Argentina (that is until Sabella took over and his goal/game ratio went through the roof with the national team too).

An element of coaching and injuries surely have an impact on his current level of performances too.

But I can't help but thinking you put him on the wing for Southampton or Swansea and you'll see him play well.
Matt Phillips on 14:24 - Oct 22 with 1758 viewsDiscodroids

few months under harolds tutelage, and if matty boy really puts in the effort.. we could have another tony scully on our hands.

who is our motivational/ pshycobabble master at the club at the moment.

david brent, woody allen, marvel comics DR strange ??...

i think we could do with a don logan type from sexy beast.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Matt Phillips on 14:30 - Oct 22 with 1750 viewsthemodfather

well he cost us a few quid, was rated and has not impressed, he was improving then that ankle? injury.
this season he seems lost, won't get stuck in...doesn't seem committed in the tackles and has missed chances at key times in key games.
i blame the fans! doh!
Matt Phillips on 14:31 - Oct 22 with 1749 viewsrobith

Actually thought it was cruel to being him on on Sunday. He has zero form and his confidence is at rock bottom
Matt Phillips on 14:36 - Oct 22 with 1733 viewsWestbourneR

Tough one, he seems to have a lot of good attributes - I was really hopeful he'd work out.

But gotta say £3 million was more reasonable price to buy him at considering how little he'd achieved in the game up until that point.

£5 mill was a high price gamble and it hasn't paid off at all so far.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Matt Phillips on 14:37 - Oct 22 with 1731 viewsballbag

Definitely a confidence thing after being out for so long through injury.

The EXACT same thing happened to him at Blackpool according to a Seasider at work.
Matt Phillips on 14:45 - Oct 22 with 1704 viewsrsonist

Coach & Improve,????
is that it ?

This is an apt comparison. Can't deny Phillips is off form and trying too hard but otoh I'd bet if we were given Bolasie, Zaha, Puncheon etc they'd suddenly look like clowns with us.
Matt Phillips on 14:48 - Oct 22 with 1690 viewsElHoop

Can't we loan him out to a Championship sidefor a month?
Matt Phillips on 15:09 - Oct 22 with 1655 viewsTacticalR

Matt Phillips on 14:18 - Oct 22 by QPR_ARG

To me he's one of those cases that will depend on the context.

Put him in an organised team, play him consistently IN HIS NATURAL POSITION and see the good results come.

Some players (especially those who don't play in "skill positions" -defenders, centre-midfielders, etc.), are not so dependent on the context, but even the likes of Messi would suffer from this.

He was winning every individual award and team trophy with Barcelona and he was anonymous playing for Argentina (that is until Sabella took over and his goal/game ratio went through the roof with the national team too).

An element of coaching and injuries surely have an impact on his current level of performances too.

But I can't help but thinking you put him on the wing for Southampton or Swansea and you'll see him play well.

There were games last season when Phillips was bombing forward on the right, Kranjčar was hitting early him with long passes from the left, and that allowed Phillips to get in some good crosses.

Air hostess clique

Matt Phillips on 15:15 - Oct 22 with 1637 viewsQPR_ARG

Matt Phillips on 15:09 - Oct 22 by TacticalR

There were games last season when Phillips was bombing forward on the right, Kranjčar was hitting early him with long passes from the left, and that allowed Phillips to get in some good crosses.

Yes. Last season was also when we played in the Championship and won most matches because we didn't face world-class opposition every weekend.

Charlie was getting service.

Green wasn't seeing those many shots coming his way.

Dunne wasn't so dramatically out of speed.

And I could continue all day long.

Hey...I think even Rio Ferdinand could have been half decent!
Matt Phillips on 15:49 - Oct 22 with 1598 viewskingsburyR

If ever there was a confidence player he is it.

He was awful on Sunday.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Matt Phillips on 15:54 - Oct 22 with 1585 viewswestberksr

has been poor this season apart from the sub appearance against Hull in the opener. Hoillet has looked and been far more effective. i'd have given Junior the nod on Sunday as Pool were there to be got at and Phillips isn't in that mood at the moment.

The first half at S'ton and the second half on Sunday were 2 of the most inept performances from a winger that I’ve seen.

Doesn’t even seem to have the energy to get involved; we'd be more forgiving if he at least seemed to be trying to break down the oppositions play but given his muscular physique he is fukking big softie!

seeing as coaching isn't available i'm think we need another ex-Spudster
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024