Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Helguson 03:29 - Dec 24 with 4091 viewsPunteR

Where does he rate in QPR's history of strikers?

I think he was one of the best,never settled a first for some reason and got loaned back to Watford but wirely old Warnock brought him back and was key to our promotion and staying up in the prem.Scored some important goals.
Good to hear he was at the game on saturday.
Probably should have played more games for us.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Helguson on 06:17 - Dec 24 with 3206 viewsozexile

Excellent striker. For his size he was amazing in the air. Always rated him a lot of fans got on his back when he first arrived a nit like they did with furlong.
Helguson on 06:55 - Dec 24 with 3184 viewshoopdog

Helguson on 06:17 - Dec 24 by ozexile

Excellent striker. For his size he was amazing in the air. Always rated him a lot of fans got on his back when he first arrived a nit like they did with furlong.

Average at best
Thought he got treated far better than Furlong did , when he 1st arrived Furlong got dogs abuse
Helguson on 07:30 - Dec 24 with 3154 viewsdaveB

harsh to say he was average, in the promotion season and the following year he was excellent. If he hadn't got injured we would have stayed up comfortably.
A brilliant player in the air and great penalty taker, his stand out game was Barnsley away when he ran himself into the ground for the team. Up there with the best target men we've had
Helguson on 08:28 - Dec 24 with 3087 viewsToast_R

He was rank when he first arrived. Injury prone and couldn't buy a goal. Remember the glarer against Palace where he rolled the ball wide of an open goal?

Warnock managed to get him fit and firing and he suddenly became outstanding in 2010/11. Was the perfect foyle for the skills of Taarabt. Managed to take that form into the Premier League too the following season until as you say, injury robbed us of him at a key point in the season. He's the type of player Warnock has this uncanny ability to get the best out of.

Typically Hughes dumped him in favour of the most injury prone striker the game ever witnessed. Cardiff probably couldn't believe their luck.

In recent history Helgusson was a decent hard working striker for QPR in a time when our squad has been bloated by mercenaries. The boy done good.
Helguson on 08:40 - Dec 24 with 3061 viewsCamberleyR

One of the best penalty takers we've had and headers of a ball for his size I've seen. He scored a winning goal against the scum. What more do you want?

Mind you, arSeWiPe managed that as well

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Helguson on 08:47 - Dec 24 with 3050 viewssilky

He should be held in very high regard with QPR fans and its criminal that he didn't play more in his QPR career.

Was only thinking of him yesterday as well, and the fact of how well he did for us. I hope he has a piece of QPR in his heart. He ran through walls for us.

A proper old fashioned Ice block centre forward and also had a jump like an Olympic salmon.

Ah wouldn't it be nice if we unearth a younger version of him in the Jan Transfer window?!!! :D

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Helguson on 09:08 - Dec 24 with 3005 viewspaulparker

Decent for us for about 2 seasons , good player but wouldn't even get in the top 20 QPR strikers ,
best performance was that 3-2 loss against city at home he terrorised them that night
and not forgetting that bullet header against Stoke

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Helguson on 09:53 - Dec 24 with 2915 viewsGloucs_R

Wouldnt make my Top 10 either. Over the past 30 years mine would be:

Sir Les
John Byrne
Clive Allen
Charlie Austin
Gary Bannister
Roy Wegerle
Kevin Gallen
Paul Furlong
Simon Stainrod
Mark Falco

Poll: Are we staying up?

Login to get fewer ads

Helguson on 10:00 - Dec 24 with 2921 viewsbarabajagal

Helguson on 09:53 - Dec 24 by Gloucs_R

Sir Les
John Byrne
Clive Allen
Charlie Austin
Gary Bannister
Roy Wegerle
Kevin Gallen
Paul Furlong
Simon Stainrod
Mark Falco

No Steve Slade?
Helguson on 10:24 - Dec 24 with 2882 viewsW7Ranger

Helguson on 10:00 - Dec 24 by barabajagal

No Steve Slade?

No Dominic Iorfa?
Helguson on 10:28 - Dec 24 with 2876 viewssimmo

What I wouldnt give for him to play alongside Charlie now, the best striker in the air we've had since Ferdinand and his hold up and lay game was brilliant.

To say he was average is wrong, he was great for us even though he was in the twilight of his career. Let's also not forget the Chelsea penalty....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Helguson on 10:32 - Dec 24 with 2868 viewsCamberleyR

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Helguson on 11:34 - Dec 24 with 2783 viewsTacticalR

The Iceman goeth
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/17789/the-iceman-go

Air hostess clique

Helguson on 13:57 - Dec 24 with 2688 viewshoopdog

Sir Les
John Byrne
Clive Allen
Charlie Austin
Gary Bannister
Roy Wegerle
Kevin Gallen
Paul Furlong
Simon Stainrod
Mark Falco

plus John Spencer + Remy to 10 in front
[Post edited 24 Dec 2014 13:59]
Helguson on 14:15 - Dec 24 with 2657 viewsNorthernr

Helguson on 13:57 - Dec 24 by hoopdog

plus John Spencer + Remy to 10 in front
[Post edited 24 Dec 2014 13:59]

remy played for five months, when we were already all but down, and scored six goals. He then left on loan after we were relegated. he then left right at the end of the transfer window to join Chelsea leaving us a striker short.

Helguson was crucial to us for two seasons, vital in a promotion, goals kept us up the following year.

I can only assume you're on a wind up so I'll release my bite and move on.

Certainly not in any top ten QPR striker list, but a great player for us in his last two years.
Helguson on 14:24 - Dec 24 with 2636 viewsSydneyRs

Scored THAT penalty in THAT game. Enough said.

I will always hate my brother for being there when I wasn't, same for the playoff final. The t0sser was a Liverpool fan before I knocked some sense into him, where is the justice?
Helguson on 15:14 - Dec 24 with 2590 viewsPunteR

Sir Les
John Byrne
Clive Allen
Charlie Austin
Gary Bannister
Roy Wegerle
Kevin Gallen
Paul Furlong
Simon Stainrod
Mark Falco

I cant argue with that list. I would put Helguson in my top 20. QPR players in my lifetime anyway. Its harder to do a list of the last 10 years though. Helguson would be in the top 10 for sure. Plus Taraabt of course.

Helguson on 15:41 - Dec 24 with 2545 viewsHollowayRanger

7/10 at best

based on form and likability

10/10 marsh bowles sir les
9/10 byrne stainrod bainnster gallen furlong weagley
8/10 Thomson spencer falco francis AUSTIN (AND CLIMBING TO 9 IF WE STAY UP)
7/10 steiner helgerson allen white jones ZAMORRA (THAT GOAL EARNS A 7)
6/10 bailey dichio Thorpe penrice
5/10 stein Clarke Cureton VARGAS (LOT TO DO)
4,3,2,1/10 brazil coney sturridge best baidoo

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Helguson on 15:51 - Dec 24 with 2539 viewshoopdog

Helguson on 14:15 - Dec 24 by Northernr

remy played for five months, when we were already all but down, and scored six goals. He then left on loan after we were relegated. he then left right at the end of the transfer window to join Chelsea leaving us a striker short.

Helguson was crucial to us for two seasons, vital in a promotion, goals kept us up the following year.

I can only assume you're on a wind up so I'll release my bite and move on.

Certainly not in any top ten QPR striker list, but a great player for us in his last two years.

Not saying Remy is anything but a shyte hawk but a far better striker than Helgarson didn't think he had to be a nice guy to qualify
Helguson on 16:22 - Dec 24 with 2505 viewsPunteR

Helguson on 15:51 - Dec 24 by hoopdog

Not saying Remy is anything but a shyte hawk but a far better striker than Helgarson didn't think he had to be a nice guy to qualify

24 goals in 68 appearances is not to shabby hoopdog. Remys record is 6 in 16 appearances.

Helguson on 16:43 - Dec 24 with 2482 viewsNorthernr

Helguson on 15:51 - Dec 24 by hoopdog

Well you're judging their ability across careers as a whole aren't you? Surely to be in a QPR list it's got to be based on QPR performances? By your logic people like Trevor Francis, Peter Reid, Ji Sung Park etc would all make 'best ever' QPR lists because they were undoubtedly great players at other points in their career. Remy is a better player than Helguson, but he was only on the field for QPR for a couple of months and achieved very little in that time. Helguson was far more important, for far longer, and far more successful at QPR than Remy.
Helguson on 17:00 - Dec 24 with 2463 viewshoopdog

Helguson on 16:43 - Dec 24 by Northernr

Well you're judging their ability across careers as a whole aren't you? Surely to be in a QPR list it's got to be based on QPR performances? By your logic people like Trevor Francis, Peter Reid, Ji Sung Park etc would all make 'best ever' QPR lists because they were undoubtedly great players at other points in their career. Remy is a better player than Helguson, but he was only on the field for QPR for a couple of months and achieved very little in that time. Helguson was far more important, for far longer, and far more successful at QPR than Remy.

Understand your point but I honestly don't see helguson as a QPR great by any stretch yep he came in at the right time to fill a void and do a job but I still don't see him being that out of the ordinary just the right player at the time
Helguson on 17:03 - Dec 24 with 2457 viewsterryb

Kevin Gallen better than Heider Helguson?

Are you sure. More of a legend - YES. Without his injury, would he heve been better - YES (possibly would have been The best).

However, tell me one season after injury that Gallen came close to what Helguson achieved in the Championship year & the season after.

I also liked Paul Furlong, but as good as the Iceman? I doubt that, but I would put both of them miles in front of Mark Falco etc!

Totally different type of playerrs to Simon Stainrod & John Byrne. I would go for Budgie of those without hesitation if I'm wearing my artistic hat. Otherwise Helguson & Furlong would leave them trailing in their wake!
Helguson on 17:08 - Dec 24 with 2440 viewsHollowayRanger

Sir Les
John Byrne
Clive Allen
Charlie Austin
Gary Bannister
Roy Wegerle
Kevin Gallen
Paul Furlong
Simon Stainrod
Mark Falco

go along with that

few that missed out

crouch
t francis
kiwomya
steiner
Thomson
blackstock
zamorra
cisse
remy

and one im certain would have made it R.Jones

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Helguson on 17:14 - Dec 24 with 2429 viewshoopdog

Helguson on 17:08 - Dec 24 by HollowayRanger

go along with that

few that missed out

crouch
t francis
kiwomya
steiner
Thomson
blackstock
zamorra
cisse