Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there such a thing....... 12:39 - Jun 29 with 4024 viewsDeano19766

as a religion of peace? Unless you are the bloke upon whom the religion is founded (which would be difficult seeing as you are a fictional character) then how can you say this religion or that religion is peaceful? If one person says such and such is a peaceful religion and the another says it is not, how can one be more right than the other? Surely a religion can only be defined by the actions of those who follow it? In which case Islam is currently a violent religion, Christianity used to be a violent religion but is mainly peaceful now in most places (probably due to people moving on from the dark ages and realising what nonsense it actually is) but could still be construed as violent in some parts of the world, and even buddhism can be violent.

Looking at what goes on, my view is that no mainstream religion is peaceful. Anything that is all about gaining ultimate control generally isn't peaceful. Religion of peace my arris
Is there such a thing....... on 12:45 - Jun 29 with 3010 viewsdaveB

All religions are peaceful, it's the people that follow them who are the problem
Is there such a thing....... on 12:57 - Jun 29 with 2966 viewsTheBlob

One minute it's peace on and then it's peace off.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Is there such a thing....... on 12:58 - Jun 29 with 2965 viewsR_from_afar

The thing is that the vast majority of followers of most if not all religions are not going around killing people in the name of that religion. The Bible makes it very clear that murder is not acceptable; it's one of the 10 commandments, commandments whose significance Jesus reinforced during his teachings.

I don't know enough about Islam to say much about that religion but I think the fact that many Imams have spoken out against ISIS' actions makes it clear that such behaviour is not acceptable for Moslems either.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Is there such a thing....... on 13:11 - Jun 29 with 2934 viewsGloucs_R

Is there such a thing....... on 12:45 - Jun 29 by daveB

All religions are peaceful, it's the people that follow them who are the problem

Religious texts are full of violence.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Is there such a thing....... on 13:23 - Jun 29 with 2908 viewsdaveB

Is there such a thing....... on 13:11 - Jun 29 by Gloucs_R

Religious texts are full of violence.

They are but the main idea behind all of them is be good to people and you'll be rewarded after you die. They all have different ideas about where you go when you die and what you need to do to get there but none of them say kill someone who follows someone else, that's just idiots miss understanding.

Same as football really, everyone follows the same game and the same rules but we each follow a different team. Some people feel the need to fight other people as they follow other teams and some choose to respect others, it's not the games fault it's the idiots who follow it.
Is there such a thing....... on 13:37 - Jun 29 with 2876 viewsTheBlob

Religion is just the extension of the human ego.

Is there such a thing....... on 13:39 - Jun 29 with 2866 viewsessextaxiboy

There used to be a website called God-u-like where you could put in your beliefs and general way of thinking and it would kick out the religion best suited for you.

For me it suggested Taoism{Daoism} ,not really a religion but a philosophy. I have followed it off and on for about 10 years.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2015 13:40]
Is there such a thing....... on 13:40 - Jun 29 with 2867 viewsstevec

The Soviet Union had the right idea 100 years ago, abolish religion altogether.
Login to get fewer ads

Is there such a thing....... on 13:44 - Jun 29 with 2848 viewsDeano19766

Is there such a thing....... on 12:58 - Jun 29 by R_from_afar

The thing is that the vast majority of followers of most if not all religions are not going around killing people in the name of that religion. The Bible makes it very clear that murder is not acceptable; it's one of the 10 commandments, commandments whose significance Jesus reinforced during his teachings.

I don't know enough about Islam to say much about that religion but I think the fact that many Imams have spoken out against ISIS' actions makes it clear that such behaviour is not acceptable for Moslems either.

RFA

"The thing is that the vast majority of followers of most if not all religions are not going around killing people in the name of that religion"

They did exactly that for thousands of years. Most just grew out of it when they realised the whole thing was complete bollix anyway. Some religions have advanced (in many parts of the world) more than others. But they all created violence in their name at one point or another (and most still do). Hence there remains no such thing as a religion of peace. That phrase is PC bollix to save offending individuals or grouops (as usual)
[Post edited 29 Jun 2015 13:48]
Is there such a thing....... on 13:48 - Jun 29 with 2837 viewsconnell10

Is there such a thing....... on 13:40 - Jun 29 by stevec

The Soviet Union had the right idea 100 years ago, abolish religion altogether.

Quite right, religion is the root of all evil.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Is there such a thing....... on 14:19 - Jun 29 with 2804 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is there such a thing....... on 13:37 - Jun 29 by TheBlob

Religion is just the extension of the human ego.

No *you're* an extension of the human ego.

Bare bones.

Is there such a thing....... on 14:38 - Jun 29 with 2781 viewsTheBlob

Is there such a thing....... on 14:19 - Jun 29 by Antti_Heinola

No *you're* an extension of the human ego.

But of course.It's a question of degree.But I wouldn't expect a lowly denizen of Kent to understand that.

Is there such a thing....... on 14:39 - Jun 29 with 2776 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is there such a thing....... on 14:38 - Jun 29 by TheBlob

But of course.It's a question of degree.But I wouldn't expect a lowly denizen of Kent to understand that.

No, Kent's an extension of the human ego.

Bare bones.

Is there such a thing....... on 14:41 - Jun 29 with 2772 viewsTheBlob

Is there such a thing....... on 14:39 - Jun 29 by Antti_Heinola

No, Kent's an extension of the human ego.

Well then if you're responsible for The Isle Of Sheppey one can only feel sorrow for your soul.

Is there such a thing....... on 14:45 - Jun 29 with 2763 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is there such a thing....... on 14:41 - Jun 29 by TheBlob

Well then if you're responsible for The Isle Of Sheppey one can only feel sorrow for your soul.

The Isle of Sheppey is your dream holiday destination.

Bare bones.

Is there such a thing....... on 14:48 - Jun 29 with 2751 viewsTheBlob

Is there such a thing....... on 14:45 - Jun 29 by Antti_Heinola

The Isle of Sheppey is your dream holiday destination.

Are you still seeing that old brass in Sheerness?Your caravan could do with a makeover.

Is there such a thing....... on 14:56 - Jun 29 with 2736 viewsDeano19766

Nothing like a football forum being hijacked by two individuals discussing the merits, or otherwise, of the county of Kent. Can we get back to the purpose of this forum please......

Although we could move this debate about Kent back on to topic. Is the Garden of England (Kent) a bit like the Garden of Eden? Was it included in a religious book? There is no such thing as the religion of peace. It's just PC bollix.......
[Post edited 29 Jun 2015 14:58]
Is there such a thing....... on 14:56 - Jun 29 with 2735 viewsLythamR

There is a whole load of "smiting" going on in the Bible

Religion is the root of all evil, prior to Religion the concept of evil didnt exist

Religion is an extension of the human ego, many many people have such a high opinion of their own importance that the cant conceive the concept that they just die and thats it, despite the evidence all around them in every species of flora and fauna on the planet

And the powers that be have always promoted religion because a promise of an afterlife or damnation for the peasants was the only thing stopping the upper echelons of society from being butchered by those below them.
Is there such a thing....... on 15:12 - Jun 29 with 2710 viewsTheBlob

Is there such a thing....... on 14:56 - Jun 29 by Deano19766

Nothing like a football forum being hijacked by two individuals discussing the merits, or otherwise, of the county of Kent. Can we get back to the purpose of this forum please......

Although we could move this debate about Kent back on to topic. Is the Garden of England (Kent) a bit like the Garden of Eden? Was it included in a religious book? There is no such thing as the religion of peace. It's just PC bollix.......
[Post edited 29 Jun 2015 14:58]

Well there's human tolerance for you.I'll discuss whatever aspect of existence so pleases me.

btw,I've just discovered what appears to be the face of Jesus in the table veneer.

Is there such a thing....... on 15:28 - Jun 29 with 2685 viewsTheBlob

Is there such a thing....... on 15:12 - Jun 29 by TheBlob

Well there's human tolerance for you.I'll discuss whatever aspect of existence so pleases me.

btw,I've just discovered what appears to be the face of Jesus in the table veneer.

Well it's either Jesus as a 59 year old or Karl Marx with a duelling scar.

Is there such a thing....... on 15:29 - Jun 29 with 2681 viewsAntti_Heinola

Is there such a thing....... on 14:48 - Jun 29 by TheBlob

Are you still seeing that old brass in Sheerness?Your caravan could do with a makeover.

Has your mum been on at you about my decor again? FFS.

Bare bones.

Is there such a thing....... on 15:31 - Jun 29 with 2678 viewsLythamR

Is there such a thing....... on 15:28 - Jun 29 by TheBlob

Well it's either Jesus as a 59 year old or Karl Marx with a duelling scar.

Thats weird, I see Peter Frampton!
Is there such a thing....... on 15:35 - Jun 29 with 2669 viewsTheBlob

Is there such a thing....... on 15:31 - Jun 29 by LythamR

Thats weird, I see Peter Frampton!

Well to some people Frampton was god.....

Is there such a thing....... on 15:37 - Jun 29 with 2659 viewsGloucs_R

Is there such a thing....... on 13:39 - Jun 29 by essextaxiboy

There used to be a website called God-u-like where you could put in your beliefs and general way of thinking and it would kick out the religion best suited for you.

For me it suggested Taoism{Daoism} ,not really a religion but a philosophy. I have followed it off and on for about 10 years.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2015 13:40]

Just read up on that and Unitarian Universalism, never heard of them until you posted.

UU sounds similar to my beliefs.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Is there such a thing....... on 15:40 - Jun 29 with 2656 viewsTheBlob

My church is Jehovah's Ponces.
What are my beliefs you ask?
I believe you can lend me a tenner.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024