Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Stadium needed to survive 12:13 - Mar 7 with 2927 viewsQPRDave

Haven't seen this on here. Found it in on dot org.
Meeting about the stadium.
One quote I noticed.."One thing that became abundantly clear in the meeting was that this new stadium isn't about the club moving forward - it's about the club’s survival. Even at Championship level, this club can’t stand on its own two feet whilst at Loftus Road"

Sorry if already posted.
http://www.qprdot.org/phpbb3mb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78176&sid=17495abdb026f88f62
New Stadium needed to survive on 13:20 - Mar 7 with 2760 viewsJuzzie

I think most clubs have got better with a new stadium as it attracts more people compared to their old one. Reading have I'm sure and the likes of Southampton, Derby, Leicester and so on. Coventry fked up theirs because a) it is a s**t stadium, b) awful to get to, c) relied on 23k average to break even. Whoever signed off on that one needs shooting.

The thing is, it's about bums-on-seats. The more people you have, the more likely there is the chance of food & drinks, programs, merchandise etc to be sold.

Something Briatore couldn't get. He'd be happy if there was one person in the ground as long as they paid £550,000 for the ticket. Boutique at it's finest.

As much as I hate everything MK Dons stand for, the one thing they have got right is their stadium. It's the only one of the new breed that I like, predominantly 'cos it has two tiers but also a big concourse so not everyone is hemmed in before the game, at half time and after the game.

[Post edited 7 Mar 2016 13:24]
New Stadium needed to survive on 13:27 - Mar 7 with 2711 viewsQPRDave

I agree juzzie. Most new stadiums do bring about better crowds, and generally better times.
I think most Rs want at least Championship football, so to be told we can't stand on our own two feet at this level with this stadium will be a bit of an eye opener to those opposed
New Stadium needed to survive on 13:35 - Mar 7 with 2678 viewsJuzzie

New Stadium needed to survive on 13:27 - Mar 7 by QPRDave

I agree juzzie. Most new stadiums do bring about better crowds, and generally better times.
I think most Rs want at least Championship football, so to be told we can't stand on our own two feet at this level with this stadium will be a bit of an eye opener to those opposed

I went on a stadium tour a couple of years ago and it was plain to see the club just can't cope at LR, as much as we love it. It wasn't about capacity either, it was hospitality, changing rooms, media rooms (managers post match interviews are literally in a broom cupboard in a corridor) and so on.

I've spoken to people at work who've gone to LR just to see a game (no affiliation to any club) and not interested in going back. We're losing these people to Fulham, Chelsea and other clubs because they have better grounds.
New Stadium needed to survive on 15:46 - Mar 7 with 2477 viewsvegasranger

I think I read we about to become the second lowest capacity in the Championship !! I remember when our crowds we similar to Southampton's.
New Stadium needed to survive on 15:54 - Mar 7 with 2450 viewspaulparker

New Stadium needed to survive on 13:35 - Mar 7 by Juzzie

I went on a stadium tour a couple of years ago and it was plain to see the club just can't cope at LR, as much as we love it. It wasn't about capacity either, it was hospitality, changing rooms, media rooms (managers post match interviews are literally in a broom cupboard in a corridor) and so on.

I've spoken to people at work who've gone to LR just to see a game (no affiliation to any club) and not interested in going back. We're losing these people to Fulham, Chelsea and other clubs because they have better grounds.

TBH Juzzie I couldn't give a monkeys if some johnny come lately doesn't like our ground and goes to Fulham, sod em
as Olly would say its our cave and we live in it , LR is for QPR fans I think il knock it on the head the day we have to move to some crappy Air Asia stadium,
we can survive in our ground it bollox that we can't , id rather us be in the conference than move

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New Stadium needed to survive on 16:12 - Mar 7 with 2407 viewsQPRDave

New Stadium needed to survive on 15:54 - Mar 7 by paulparker

TBH Juzzie I couldn't give a monkeys if some johnny come lately doesn't like our ground and goes to Fulham, sod em
as Olly would say its our cave and we live in it , LR is for QPR fans I think il knock it on the head the day we have to move to some crappy Air Asia stadium,
we can survive in our ground it bollox that we can't , id rather us be in the conference than move

Firstly before I post what I'm about to, I want to say Paul I like you as a poster & a fan.
I am not posting this looking to wind you up or argue with you ok?
But surely everyone of us are Johnny come latelys?
I'm a Johnny come lately compared to a 50s or 60s fan.
New fans are needed otherwise the club will die
New Stadium needed to survive on 17:28 - Mar 7 with 2294 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Thanks for posting this, and thanks to those who attend these meetings on our behalf and the sods who have to do the minutes!

That was a good read and sounded like a very good meeting. Pleasing to hear and kudos to LH for even having these things, and the others such as the fans forum which is coming up. Its a pain in the arse to do these things after a full day in the office - for both sides - so again more kudos.

The season ticket option of paying by DB over the season sounds a very good idea, afterall its how a lot of travel cards etc are paid. Presumably there would be little saving in doing this than buying a match day ticket, and the savings would be on those bought outright/on the finance program etc. But positive that options are being assessed.

The new stadium is something im not really worrying about, Ill read the updates but only with passing interest Its going to be a very long time before anything really happens so cant get too excited or upset at every news report either way. But, its good to hear some land purchases have taken place, one could really be a thorn in the side of the opponents if strategic areas are owned, I suppose.

I guess a new stadium is inevitable, and I dont want to be a luddite about things and if its a new stadium or no club then of course its a new stadium.., but LR is home for me, Ive seen us as the top club in London standing in the Loft in the first/premier league, in the first, in the second, in the championship, in the prem again, then the chumpionship again and so on, it has a lot of history for me and I love that its a bit small and crap and really uncomfortable and the kiosks are rubbish and there is literally no room...I will miss LR when we one day dont go there anymore thats for sure
New Stadium needed to survive on 17:42 - Mar 7 with 2250 viewsJuzzie

New Stadium needed to survive on 15:54 - Mar 7 by paulparker

I understand what you're saying but as Dave says, we were all newbies once.

I was born and bought up in Ladbroke Grove/Portobello Road so only one club for me but there are plenty of QPR fans, many on here, who have no local affiliation to the club. Were they johnny come latelys? were they not welcome? Plenty of people in Ladbroke Grove/Notting Hill/Acton who support Chelsea. Sickens me.

I too don't want a crappy Air Asia stadium but if properly thought out, we can have one akin to MK Dons.

I'd love QPR to stay as it is, in LR as it is, but the reality whether we like it or not shows that just can't happen.
If we don't do something, just stay in the 80's & 90's, then we will die as a club as each supporter dies too.

I've been going to LR some 25 times a season for the last 34 years (850 visits), I'll be as sad as anyone when I walk out for the last time.

But there's a future. A future when I can take Juzzie Jnr (now 17 months old) to a game where it won't be a pain to take him to the toilet, to buy him a drink or a bite to eat. Where he won't have Pompey fans clambering over the home end.
I don't want football to be a sanistised happy-clappy place to go on a Saturday. I want him to experience the buzz that I do and I think we can make that happen.
Login to get fewer ads

New Stadium needed to survive on 17:51 - Mar 7 with 2218 viewsQPRDave

New Stadium needed to survive on 17:42 - Mar 7 by Juzzie

I was born and bought up in Ladbroke Grove/Portobello Road so only one club for me but there are plenty of QPR fans, many on here, who have no local affiliation to the club. Were they johnny come latelys? were they not welcome? Plenty of people in Ladbroke Grove/Notting Hill/Acton who support Chelsea. Sickens me.

I too don't want a crappy Air Asia stadium but if properly thought out, we can have one akin to MK Dons.

I'd love QPR to stay as it is, in LR as it is, but the reality whether we like it or not shows that just can't happen.
If we don't do something, just stay in the 80's & 90's, then we will die as a club as each supporter dies too.

I've been going to LR some 25 times a season for the last 34 years (850 visits), I'll be as sad as anyone when I walk out for the last time.

But there's a future. A future when I can take Juzzie Jnr (now 17 months old) to a game where it won't be a pain to take him to the toilet, to buy him a drink or a bite to eat. Where he won't have Pompey fans clambering over the home end.
I don't want football to be a sanistised happy-clappy place to go on a Saturday. I want him to experience the buzz that I do and I think we can make that happen.

Good post, the board are listening to fans too as to what they think is suitable, so good chance it won't be just another bowl
New Stadium needed to survive on 18:58 - Mar 7 with 2130 viewsHayesender

If our club can do this properly, a stadium along the lines of MK/Brighton but still near our spiritual home, not in the middle of nowhere then it needs to happen.

But that walk from Bletchley working man's club to the ground on Sat depressed me

Poll: Shamima Beghum

New Stadium needed to survive on 19:50 - Mar 7 with 2040 viewsHollowayRanger

if the club moved away to royal oak or whatever id probably stop going

the stadium loftus road is almost
if not more important to me than the team that comes and goes with managers and players but my seat in that ground remains

once its gone so im I me thinks

I don't have blue and white in my blood being born in north London I should be a spud or goonie but everyone at school supported them i wanted to support someone different and sods law who was on tv the most in London when I got interested in football little old QPR

I know they will have to move or end up in 2nd division again one day

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

New Stadium needed to survive on 20:40 - Mar 7 with 1953 viewsderbyhoop

We've got one of the smallest grounds in the Championship. And we all know that the seating area is cramped, it's impossible to get something to eat/drink at HT AND go to the gents; the time it takes getting out would break all Health & Safety guidelines. Given the size of the plot, we cannot expand either. And Lee Hoos revealed that, in 2014/15 we managed to make a massive £15,000 from alternative use of the stadium on non match days.
Just think about that last statistic, in particular. If we do not get promoted while we are in receipt of parachute payments, our turnover will be £10-15m. How many players can you have in your squad for that sort of income? On what wages? We'd be lucky to afford £200k for a transfer budget.

It is unsustainable. To stay at our current level, we need an average attendance over 20k and we need to find a way of making additional money through commercial ventures. Neither is possible at LR.

We are a mid table Championship club with Premiership ambitions and a L1/L2 infrastructure.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

New Stadium needed to survive on 21:51 - Mar 7 with 1842 viewsvblockranger

My dad took me to Loftus Rd when i was a kid and i did the same for my own kids. I hope 10 years from now my grand kids will be going. Loftus Rd is the heart of the club imo. Would hate to leave and they can stuff any new ground up their arse.
New Stadium needed to survive on 00:23 - Mar 8 with 1743 viewsPunteR

New training ground should be priority. Long term plan should be new stadium.
I still don't understand why were not getting involved more with the redevelopment of shepherds bush.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

New Stadium needed to survive on 08:35 - Mar 8 with 1637 viewspaulparker

New Stadium needed to survive on 17:42 - Mar 7 by Juzzie

Good Post Juzzie & you Dave

I take your point about the newbies , as you say quite rightly we were all one once, in saying that I knew a lot of arsenal fans who couldn't stand the emirates and would come to us when we were in the 1st division, they came for an old fashioned atmosphere and sample what football should be about , I know the atmosphere is bad at the moment, but on our day this is a special place, I don't go to football to sample the concourse or the burgers or chips or whatever, I come because its QPR and Loftus road , people who ive taken here, love it , yes its cramped yes its small, but there isn't a finer sight than walking up the ER steps and seeing , smelling the pitch , we have something special here , we can almost touch the players , the sight of the floodlights on a night game here is great, we have tons of transport links, pubs, takeaways , more than any London club
LR and our kit is what separate's us from the rest ,
only at Rangers do you recognise the same faces , the characters, being part of 14 or 15 thousand is a badge of honour , I don't want to be around 25 or 30 thousand fans with foam hands and taking pictures everytime there is a corner
my gripe is that if we are to build a new stadium it needs to be like Boavista or sampdoria's ground maybe then I could accept it, but it wont, it will be like the others a soulless bowl , we wont be close to the pitch as the "new laws " don't allow it , and would you trust TF with the design of a new stadium, I know I wouldn't
we will become like a Coventry, derby, soton, Mkdons, drab & soulless ,
like many on here my family's roots are in shepherds bush and the surrounding area
im a 4th generation fan , I don't go often as much as I would like anymore but if we were to go and move I honestly think that would be it for me

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New Stadium needed to survive on 10:40 - Mar 8 with 1550 viewsDougal_RBlock

I don't get it?

To everyone who is saying, "if they move ground i won't go again". I honestly don't get it?

LR has always been a great little ground, but how many of you lose layers of skin on your shins on the seat in front of you?
Or everytime someone wants to get past you in the row, it's like a level on the Crystal Maze for it to happen? Queing up for 45mins to get a half time pie?

LR can't be improved anymore than it is, so we HAVE to move. It's as simple as that.

And i'm certain that when that day does come, the ones saying that they won't be there, or they will never go..... will be there.
New Stadium needed to survive on 11:04 - Mar 8 with 1503 viewsPunteR

New Stadium needed to survive on 10:40 - Mar 8 by Dougal_RBlock

I don't get it?

To everyone who is saying, "if they move ground i won't go again". I honestly don't get it?

LR has always been a great little ground, but how many of you lose layers of skin on your shins on the seat in front of you?
Or everytime someone wants to get past you in the row, it's like a level on the Crystal Maze for it to happen? Queing up for 45mins to get a half time pie?

LR can't be improved anymore than it is, so we HAVE to move. It's as simple as that.

And i'm certain that when that day does come, the ones saying that they won't be there, or they will never go..... will be there.

I get it. It will be a sad day when Loftus Road closes. I took a mate to a game recently and we sat in the loft end. He loved it.He said it reminded him when his dad used to take him to football. There is definitely a sense of nostalgia when coming to Loftus Road,which is special and can never be replicated unfortunately.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024