Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" 10:31 - Jun 3 with 3246 viewsA40Bosh

I sometimes wish there were more people involved in football like Roy Keane. Mr Marmite, some love him, most probably hate him, some probably really despise him.

Could you imagine MOTD if everyone was like him? Mid way through the programme, BBC bouncers would be steaming on to the set trying to stop Lawro, Shearer and Jermaine Genius from slugging each other to death as the chairs are all upturned and Gary is sitting there with his aging impish smile and his sinister goatee; then a sideways look to camera one, followed by a sarcastic comment about it being "a shame there was not as much passion on the pitch as there is in here" .

I have to admit I do "get" Roy Keane and where others pour nothing but scorn on him, I "enjoy" him and find him great entertainment - in the same way Jose used to make me laugh until he went too sour and septic when backed in to a corner.

Keane's latest caustic comments about various footballing and non footballing matters surrounding Euro 2016 are the kind of thing the man on the terrace would likely say but too few in the game or ex-player pundits will be brave, stupid or cynical enough (depending on your take on things) to call it like Keane does.

On Ramsey's new blonde hair style "He's doing it to get noticed. Typical f**king Arsenal. If he wants to get noticed he should try putting in a decent performance on the pitch"

Closer to home, within the Ireland set up, you can see that never has there been more of a good cop, bad cop set up then there is currently with O'Neill and Keane as Ireland's Number 1 & 2. God forbid if Keane were allowed to manage the Irish team by himself. He would probably end up having to name his second ever squad from the ranks of the Leaving Cert lads in schools as every senior player who had the misfortune to have been called up to in Keane's first squad will be getting their clubs to call in sick for them with a "serious knock".

I think Keane is unfortunately too honest for the modern game, too ignorant and obstinate to change his attitudes and he is the first manager I have been old enough to have watched their full playing career and then seen them continue the start of their managerial career in the same way they played, running around like a bull in a china shop, upsetting everyone and everything in an attempt to get others to try as hard as they do. And that won't work in the modern game. The players won't stand for it.

I'm not sure whether it is a coincidence or actually irrelevant that he grew up under both Clough and Fergie - perhaps he is just wired that way and is too stubborn to accept that if he wants to make a career as a manager he has to bend and blend with the times and manage in the way that modern managers have to manage.

It will be interesting to see whether it is the Irish team or Roy Keane who captures more of the Irish related headlines during Euro 2016. For Ireland's sake I hope it is the team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36427954

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 10:39 - Jun 3 with 3226 viewslave16

cannot beat martin o'neil either

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/martin-oneill-had-a-serious-dig

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill took a serious swipe at outspoken pundit Eamon Dunphy during a media event in Cork last night.

Speaking at the Bon Voyage to the Boys in Green event at the Cork Opera House for Today FM, O'Neill was asked whether he was affected by some of the criticism that has been levelled at him during his Ireland tenure.

"It doesn't bother me in the slightest... seriously. To be criticised by a failed manager is bad enough but to be criticised by a failed player like Eamon Dunphy...," he said.

"I have to have a laugh at this, I heard Eamon once said, and I can't do the Dublin accent, 'I was a good player, not a great player...', No Eamon, you weren't even a good player.

"You can't call yourself a good player if you've never played in the big league. He couldn't make the grade at Manchester United and he's been pontificating for years."

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Winning Friends & Influencing - on 11:02 - Jun 3 with 3178 viewsTacticalR

The issue is not whether Roy Keane's outbursts are immensely entertaining. They are.

The problem is that Keane is not 'the man on the terrace', he is a manager. There is a time and a place for negativity, but leadership is not just about negativity. Or to put it another way you are not going to get very far if that is the only tool in your managerial toolbox.

This was demonstrated during the dying days of Keane's reign of terror at Sunderland, as described in Dwight Yorke's autobiography:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Paranoia rampaged through the club, players were at each other's throats and fighting one another; it was disintegrating before our very eyes.

For the next five weeks it was like this and the results inevitably crumbled still further. And then, suddenly, I got a call from our elusive manager, who had not spoken to me since I was banished from the meeting.

'Yorkie, I know things haven't been great between us but I just want to know if you're on board with me,' said Keano.

I was so stunned to receive the call, never mind the question, that I couldn't think of an answer.

Instead, I said I would pop in and discuss it with him the following day.

Twenty minutes later I got a text from him: 'Don't bother - I think I've got my answer.' It would have been easy for me to tell him I was on board. I guess that was what he wanted. I'm sorry I couldn't do that.

I'm not saying I would not have thrown my support behind Keano eventually; such is the immense respect I had for him as my leader then I probably would have. But we needed to talk first.

By now I was convinced that club management was not for Keano."
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 11:09]

Air hostess clique

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 11:38 - Jun 3 with 3128 viewspaulparker

I like him , he is a win at all costs man and honest he doesn't take second best the sort of fella who would kick his old mum if it meant he won
he is probably pig sick of seeing very average players earning shed loads of dosh for doing fark all , he is probably sick of the earrings, the headphones , the stupid tattoos, the ugly woman, the overhype of modern football in general
yes he is a crap manger , so what
I like the story of him going to tom cleverleys house to confront him about what he had said in an interview only for cleverly to bottle it by not answering the door

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 11:43 - Jun 3 with 3111 viewsexiled_dictator

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 11:38 - Jun 3 by paulparker

I like him , he is a win at all costs man and honest he doesn't take second best the sort of fella who would kick his old mum if it meant he won
he is probably pig sick of seeing very average players earning shed loads of dosh for doing fark all , he is probably sick of the earrings, the headphones , the stupid tattoos, the ugly woman, the overhype of modern football in general
I like the story of him going to tom cleverleys house to confront him about what he had said in an interview only for cleverly to bottle it by not answering the door

would you answer the door to roy keane?
no, didn't think so.
kind of a shining moment runs through my head; heeeeeere's roy!!!

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 11:52 - Jun 3 with 3095 viewsbob566

absolute legend. Played football because he loved it. Not for the trappings that came with it. Pity about the haaland tackle as I think that will always tarnish him too. As for saipan he was right to walk out and shove it up the FAI. Toolbags had blown the saipan budget on vip dining and luxury flights for themselves and the players had to fly economy behind them while they lorded it up in executive class with their wives. Then training without footballs and pitches that hadn't been watered. He just wanted to train. That's all. Train hard and give his all and those executive tools f*****ed up Irelands best ever chance in a world cup. We'll never get a better chance. Could have made the semis or final that year with Keano in the side.
Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 13:39 - Jun 3 with 2975 viewsTacticalR

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 11:38 - Jun 3 by paulparker

The qualities you need in a player aren't necessarily the qualities you need in a manager, just as the qualities you need in a soldier aren't necessarily the qualities you need in a general.

Out of interest, who is the ugly woman?

Air hostess clique

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 14:04 - Jun 3 with 2923 viewspaulparker

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 13:39 - Jun 3 by TacticalR

The qualities you need in a player aren't necessarily the qualities you need in a manager, just as the qualities you need in a soldier aren't necessarily the qualities you need in a general.

Out of interest, who is the ugly woman?

Not one woman in particular Tactical only the woman who hang around some of these overpaid players like there lives depend on it and is the sole height of there ambition
you only have to look at the papers in the coming days to see the "Euro wags"

as for Keane I don't think he is a leader of men just someone who players fear and look up to , a traditional captain leads from example and brings people together , I see keane as a lone wolf I think Fergie wanted his players to fear him and keane , keep them on there toes , I supposed it worked in a way but keane doesn't seem to have any allys in football not even a trusted number two when he was manager

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 14:17 - Jun 3 with 2887 viewslave16

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 14:04 - Jun 3 by paulparker

Not one woman in particular Tactical only the woman who hang around some of these overpaid players like there lives depend on it and is the sole height of there ambition
you only have to look at the papers in the coming days to see the "Euro wags"

as for Keane I don't think he is a leader of men just someone who players fear and look up to , a traditional captain leads from example and brings people together , I see keane as a lone wolf I think Fergie wanted his players to fear him and keane , keep them on there toes , I supposed it worked in a way but keane doesn't seem to have any allys in football not even a trusted number two when he was manager

I think Keane will learn a lot from O'neil but am not sure he will ever be a successful club manager... on the international scene I can see him be successful as at club level players a lot of the time are driven by money at international level it may be different where players actually want to play for their country.

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Login to get fewer ads

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 14:20 - Jun 3 with 2882 viewsTacticalR

Yes, Keane's not really of the 'dilly ding dilly dong' school of management.

Talking of schools it might be a good time to introduce a wags academy to raise the quality of our wags.

Air hostess clique

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 15:57 - Jun 3 with 2792 viewskensalriser

The problem with WAGS is that it's not yet seen as a viable career option for the educated middle classes.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 16:06 - Jun 3 with 2765 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If you lived next to him, he'd probably send you your Cat in several Jiffy bags if it pooed in his garden.
Winning Friends & Influencing - on 16:19 - Jun 3 with 2755 viewsNorthernr

Terrific pundit, love him when he's on, love his hatred for the dressing room selfies and all the other trappings of modern footballers/Arsenal, love how he actually gives an opinion rather than trotting out platitudes etc.

But it is somewhat undermined by his performance as a manager. He spent the debt of a small country at Sunderland and failed, he spent another fck load on Ipswich and failed then left muttering something about it never feeling right anyway because they played in blue.

If you're going to be a caustic, cutting pundit you've kind of got to walk the walk when it's your turn. As a player he was fantastic and won everything, so when he's talking about what's wrong with Arsenal I respect that and listen to him. But when he's talking about managers or transfer dealings I think of this, which is his two year transfer record at Sunderland...

Tobias Hysen £1.7m
Stanislav Varga Undis
Ross Wallace Undis
Dwight Yorke 200k
Liam Miller Free
Graham Kavanagh 500k
David Connolly 1.6m
Marton Fulop 500k
Carlos Edwards 1.4m
Anthony Stokes 2m
Stern John Undis
Greg Halford 2.5m
Russell Anderson 1m
Michael Chopra 5m
Kieran Richardson 5.5m
Dickson Etuhu 1.5m
Paul McShane 2.5m
Craig Gordon 9m
Andy Cole Free
Kenwynne Jones 6m
Ian Harte Free
Danny Higgingbotham 2.5m
Jean-Yves Mvoto 300k
Phil Bardsley £2m
Rade Prica £2m
Andy Reid £4m
Teemu Taino Undis
Nick Colgan Free
Pascal Chimbonda Undis
El Hadji Diouf 2.5m
Steed Malbranque Undis
David Healy Undis
Anton Ferdinand 8m!!!!
George McCartney 4.5m

So that's 34 separate signings made in two years at a cost of £60m disclosed and probably the best part of £20m more on the undiscloseds too. Without getting too far into the obvious strategy of signing anybody with an Irish accent or a Manchester United connection, there's a huge amount of absolute stinkers in there for somebody who professes to know so much more about football than anybody else, and a good few known arsholes as well. Can somebody who spent 8m on Anton Ferdinand and signed Chimbonda and Diouf really be criticising other people for their performances, behaviour and hairstyles?

He resigned with them 18th in the Premier league citing a disgreement with the chairman. No bloody wonder, probably wanted to know what he was getting for his £100m+ and 34 signings!

This post has been edited by an administrator
Winning Friends & Influencing - "Keane Watch" on 22:22 - Jun 3 with 2617 viewsTGRRRSSS

IN his slight defence how many players want to go and live in Sunderland.
Otherise so much of the above is spot on.

I think when it boils down to it Keane is far too much of a loner to really relate to people enough for them to warm to him.

IN the end he has exceptionally high standards and in many ways is absolutley right but you need to deal with many personalities in any leadership role in life and in some ways it's amazing he was even Captain of Man United so long.
I'd imagine Football managment at the level he aspires to is an absolute juggling act.

How many times have we said about a top coach not being up to it as a manager?

In Keane's case he could possibly be a 3 month relegation manager type to get a side out of trouble, beyond that I think his temperament isnt suited to building long term strategy tactics and being able to balance all the demands of being a top level football manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024