Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atletico v Real 22:31 - May 10 with 1342 viewsBrightonhoop

Anyone else watch this? Frenetic first 17 mins that gave Real a fright.

Great game enjoyed with the locals.

Saw this banner “De no ser como vosotros” Proud to not be like you.

Last European game at Atletico, new Stadium opens this summer.

And the heavens opened, when it rains in Spain and all that. Maybe it was the sporting Gods. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Atletico v Real on 22:33 - May 10 with 1335 viewsMrSheen

Whenever I see Atletico, I always think they're about 10 seconds from a sending off. How big is their new ground (and who paid for it?).
Atletico v Real on 22:40 - May 10 with 1327 viewsBrightonhoop

Atletico v Real on 22:33 - May 10 by MrSheen

Whenever I see Atletico, I always think they're about 10 seconds from a sending off. How big is their new ground (and who paid for it?).

They pull no punches on Real, they always remind me of QPR Chelsea games.
No idea who has paid for thenew ground but Atletico are not government funded like Real. It's robably dirty. Everything is.
Atletico v Real on 22:49 - May 10 with 1306 viewsMrSheen

Atletico v Real on 22:40 - May 10 by Brightonhoop

They pull no punches on Real, they always remind me of QPR Chelsea games.
No idea who has paid for thenew ground but Atletico are not government funded like Real. It's robably dirty. Everything is.

Brave move building a 67,000 seat stadium in a recession. e45m from a Chinese Real Estate company for naming rights (and probably first dibs on redeveloping the Calderon) and e160m loan from Carlos Slim, a Mexican gazillionaire. What could go wrong?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/political-in-fighting-could

Looks like Bayern's ground.

Atletico v Real on 22:53 - May 10 with 1297 viewsFredManRave

Atletico v Real on 22:33 - May 10 by MrSheen

Wiki Says;
History
Vicente Calderón Stadium
To finance the new stadium, Atlético Madrid had to make a debt issue in 1958 in the form of mortgage bonds that were underwritten mostly by club shareholders and members.On 17 March 1961, Javier Barroso bought land for the construction of a new stadium, to replace the Estadio Metropolitano de Madrid. In the same year, work began on the new stadium. The ground opened in 1966, and was named the Estadio del Manzanares until 1972.

Future change of venue
On 30 July 2007, Atlético Madrid, Mahou brewery and Ayuntamiento de Madrid signed an agreement to reclassify the land that is currently occupied by the Vicente Calderón stadium and the Mahou brewery, agreeing that Atlético would move within 3 years to the Estadio Olímpico de Madrid, better known as Estadio La Peineta, which is currently being renovated in preparation for Atlético's tenancy. After reconstruction, La Peineta will hold 73,000 spectators and will feature fully covered stands. After the 2016/17 season, The Vicente Calderón Stadium will be demolished, and a park will be built in its place, which is to be named the 'Park Atlético Madrid'. Atlético will then move to La Peineta the following season.

The decision to demolish the stadium was not well received by some of the Atlético fans who were against the relocation of the club, as they considered it to be a bad move if money was not being used to improve the club itself. The protests were led by the Save the Calderon Group and the Atlético Supporters Club: Asociación Señales de Humo.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Atletico v Real on 15:21 - May 11 with 1168 viewsMedwayR

As I currently work & live in Madrid, and adopted Atleti as my Spanish team years ago, I went to the game last night. The atmosphere building up to the game was incredible and the first 20 mins were fantastic, after that we sat back to conserve energy for the 2nd half which was the right thing to do but along with Godin's brainless defending ultimately cost us. Once they'd got the away goal everyone knew it was as good as over.

With regard to the new stadium, if I can recall correctly it's something like this:
- Atleti give over their ground to the developers who turn it into part of the river park for the city council.
- Atleti pay 40m euros (not paid in cash but tickets!!) to purchase the land from the city council that the new stadium is being built on, which was previously a small white elephant athletics stadium costing the city money.
- The developers get to build on the site of the old Mahou factory next door to the Vicente Calderon which pays for the construction of Atleti's new stadium.

Basically everyone gets something from the deal, plus whatever shady agreements have been made behind closed doors. And if Madrid ever wins the right to host the Olympics they can use the new stadium, although Atleti would have to move out for a year for which they'd be compensated...yep you guessed, conveniently 40m euros.

I like the look of the new stadium but unfortunately the location isn't good, it's too far from the city centre particularly compared to the Vicente Calderon, but on the other hand it's a good deal for the club financially and there's nowhere to build a stadium of that size close to the city centre.

Poll: Who’s better?

Atletico v Real on 15:41 - May 11 with 1145 viewsBrightonhoop

Was a good game to watch and the atmosphere was brilliant.
Atletico v Real on 03:41 - May 29 with 1014 viewsFredManRave

So the last game has been played at the Calderon. It just seemed strange to see a game played in a "modern" stadium with a capacity of almost 55.000 knowing that it is about to be reduced to rubble albeit for a new 73.000 seater capacity stadium.

I suppose the main difference is the fact that in almost, if not all, English cases the stadium moves are from stadiums that were up to 100 years old and that they had a capacity of 20 or 30 thousand.

Atletico are certainly moving forward and I hope they can break the twosome monopoly of Spanish fotball although I-m surprised that Simeone wants to carry on there. He-s been there 5 years (?!) and done everything he could have hoped for and he could pretty much choose a major European club to manage: Inter Milan being the most obvious or Arsenal?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024