Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Venice 07:53 - Apr 14 with 8124 viewskingsburyR

Morning All,

I'm looking to take Mrs Kingsbury for two night in June.

As this is the all knowing board (I have yet to see any question unanswered) can anyone recommend a nice hotel and also things to do over there.

Thanks in advance.

KR

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Venice on 08:24 - Apr 14 with 6225 viewsRs_Holy

You old romantic KR,

I love Venice, it is stunning, but other than eat, drink, and enjoy the views there's not a huge amount to do.
We stayed in the Hotel Canal Grande the 2nd time we went and I can thoroughly recommend it.
Try and follow the rules for restaurants... 1. No tourist menus . 2. No photos of the food outside 3. No burgers or kebabs on the menu. Try and find small family run trattorias and you won't go wrong. The sea food is amongst the best I've eaten.
A gondola costs around 80 squids for about 1/2 an hour but sometimes you've got to say "what the heck".
My advise is just walk around and get lost... you'll find yourself in a beautiful quiet backstreet with some amazing churches. The paintings in some of them are incredible.
St Marcos Square is stunning but always rammed, Rialto bridge likewise.
Venice is not everyone's cup of tea (some people hate it) but I can't wait to return.
Venice on 08:47 - Apr 14 with 6216 viewskingsburyR

Venice on 08:24 - Apr 14 by Rs_Holy

You old romantic KR,

I love Venice, it is stunning, but other than eat, drink, and enjoy the views there's not a huge amount to do.
We stayed in the Hotel Canal Grande the 2nd time we went and I can thoroughly recommend it.
Try and follow the rules for restaurants... 1. No tourist menus . 2. No photos of the food outside 3. No burgers or kebabs on the menu. Try and find small family run trattorias and you won't go wrong. The sea food is amongst the best I've eaten.
A gondola costs around 80 squids for about 1/2 an hour but sometimes you've got to say "what the heck".
My advise is just walk around and get lost... you'll find yourself in a beautiful quiet backstreet with some amazing churches. The paintings in some of them are incredible.
St Marcos Square is stunning but always rammed, Rialto bridge likewise.
Venice is not everyone's cup of tea (some people hate it) but I can't wait to return.

Thanks Holy, Hotel fully booked but I'll follow the rules!!!

Venice on 09:36 - Apr 14 with 6168 viewsJeff

Echo the points above, especially about tourist trap restaurants.

Additionally, get the clipper and visit the islands of Murano and Burano (sp?) which are usually a great deal quieter than Venice proper, and are lovely for a half day amble. The multi coloured houses are an istagrammers wet dream...

Can we not knock it?

Venice on 11:09 - Apr 14 with 6120 viewsBrianMcCarthy

La Fenice et des Artistes is a cracking hotel, Kingsbury. Only a three-star but that's because it's so old they can't renovate it. It's right beside La Fenice Opera House and used to be where the artists stayed. It's full of character and relatively cheap. Walking/boating/spitting distance from the main attractions.

Things to do...hard to remember...

Walking and exploring is the favourite. You should buy tickets for what you want to see so you can beat the queues. If I remember rightly they're not time-specific so when yoy rock up to the Doge's Palace you can just hop in.

I loved the churches and basilicas. St. Mark's Basilica is beautiful but the Chiesa di San Zaccaria is stunning and a bit humbling (I had to look up the name again, of course!).There's about ten churches, all crammed with art and sculptures, each as stunning as the next and each on their own would put most cities to shame.

We did a bit of island-hopping, including one small island with a tower with great views straight across to St. Mark's Square. Didn't do the gondola. Did loads of small Italian cafés, tapas bars and normal bars, went to Harry's Bar, paid a small fortune for a whiskey even though I don't drink whiskey but it was worth it just the see the toilets(!), took in a concert, left half-way through, went to all the museums, left half-way through, went to another concert and left half-way through.

And no cars anywhere!

Love the place. Top 3 City, without a doubt.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Venice on 11:45 - Apr 14 with 6105 viewsLythamR

the island of Murano is well worth a visit if you have time and the weather is nice, get the water bus rather than a water taxi

the island is the centre of the glass making industry in Venice and world famous, glass blowing demonstrations, fantastic chandeliers. its also very pleasant to just walk around and the restaraunts are in my experience better value for money and the whole ambiance is a bit more relaxed

You have to go to Harrys bar for a bellini and have a coffee in St Marcos when the Gypsy orchestra is playing, both tourist traps but you only live once right .

I found some great places to eat within 5 minutes walk of St Marks, if you walk away from st marks past the doge palace and cross a couple of canals the quality goes up and the prices come down a bit.
Venice on 11:56 - Apr 14 with 6093 viewsDeepcutHoop

Venice on 11:45 - Apr 14 by LythamR

the island of Murano is well worth a visit if you have time and the weather is nice, get the water bus rather than a water taxi

the island is the centre of the glass making industry in Venice and world famous, glass blowing demonstrations, fantastic chandeliers. its also very pleasant to just walk around and the restaraunts are in my experience better value for money and the whole ambiance is a bit more relaxed

You have to go to Harrys bar for a bellini and have a coffee in St Marcos when the Gypsy orchestra is playing, both tourist traps but you only live once right .

I found some great places to eat within 5 minutes walk of St Marks, if you walk away from st marks past the doge palace and cross a couple of canals the quality goes up and the prices come down a bit.

I've had a bit of a collection of old Murano glass vases and bowls over the years, would like to see the factory.

Be careful a friend of mine was mugged badly and had his camera and phone stolen in one of the back streets one night this year. Spent a few nights in a local hospital.
Venice on 12:22 - Apr 14 with 6072 viewsRangersDave

Unless you have pot loads to,spend or just want an experience to be able to boast about, and the 'Grand Cafe' on the left as you head to St Marks Square.

It's a white glove surly waiter type of place and the further you sit from the building the higher the price for drinks (yes seriously), but the atmosphere is fantastic and they usually have a live 3 or 4 piece mini orchestra playing too.

Buy a river bus ticket for 24 hours unlimited. Great hop on and off.
If you need to save money on food and don't mind, pick up everything you need for a picnic in the
Aldi 3 streets back from St. Marks Sq.

If you want to budget on the hotel try the holiday inn just off the island, as they do frequent free transport to the river bus stop just onto the island opposite the railway station.

Alternatively the Holiday Inn Express near Marco Polo is cheaper, got a great tratatoria near by and a railway station 100 yards away that will take you right into Venice island, walk out the station and onto a river bus on the grand canal. Easy.

Lots of expensive evening restaurants to go to if needed too.

Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Venice on 12:39 - Apr 14 with 6068 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My LFW ads have now changed from Dingle to Venice.

On the plus side, I love Venice. on the minus side it's only taunting me that I can't go.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Venice on 12:50 - Apr 14 with 6053 viewsenfieldargh

We stayed at the Hotel Carpaccio a small hotel right down loads of alleys. It was a small family run hotel and a few lefts and rights on quiet alley ways soon you would find yourself on one of the busier thoroughfares.

We bought a load of wine glasses which are wafer thin and totally impracticable and would never fit in a dishwasher.

They remain in the box in the loft(25 years on!!)

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Venice on 19:28 - Apr 14 with 5972 viewsBluce_Ree

Main thing is don't look at too many vids and photos before you go. That first view you get as you approach by water is worth seeing in the flesh first.

Best food I had there was Burger King. Italian food is shite.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Venice on 19:57 - Apr 14 with 5948 viewsRs_Holy

Venice on 19:28 - Apr 14 by Bluce_Ree

Main thing is don't look at too many vids and photos before you go. That first view you get as you approach by water is worth seeing in the flesh first.

Best food I had there was Burger King. Italian food is shite.

Mmmmm Burger King ......
Venice on 20:14 - Apr 14 with 5937 viewsDrewster

Took my other half there last March as a surprise birthday present. Boyfriend of the year award that weekend as I combined it with 24 hrs in Verona as well.
We stayed in the Hotel L'Orologio on the grand canal just up from Rialto. Lovely setting and a great hotel. Not cheap mind, but there isn't many that are in Venice.
I planned the whole trip for 6 months before, e mailing restuatrants, etc to plan the evenings as best as possible.
Ai Tre Archi is a fabulous family run pizzeria in the north of the city and easy to get to. We had starters, pizza, beer and wine that was cheaper than pizza express and in a lovely setting. Book in advance as when we left around 9ish they were queuing out the door.
Tips:
Buy a 24/48 hr Vaparetto pass for the water taxis, great way to pop around but remember to validate the pass on every journey. On our first trip out of the train station, another couple didnt and although they had a valid ticket, they didn't validate it and got a €500 fine!
Best tip though is to eat and drink away from the main spots, there are fabulous bars and trattorias to enjoy at below U.K prices.

And above all, leave the map behind and go get lost in the maze of alleyways and bridges and find your own personal wonders.
But... it'll be busy and hot in June!...
Venice on 20:39 - Apr 14 with 5910 viewssmegma

Visit the island of Lido. A few boat routes go there. The only island with cars/buses. Relatively uncrowded and it's nice to be able to walk more than 100 yards and not have to cross a canal bridge !!!
The island of Moreno is beautiful where they sell tourist tat Moreno glass objects.
Play the game of 'find a restaurant that DOESNT sell pizza or pasta.

Venezia FCs ground is probably in one of the most beautiful surroundings. It's a short boat trip to the southern tip of the main island. Unfortunately they now play on the mainland.
Venice on 10:45 - Apr 15 with 5776 viewsqpr1976

What was Verona like ?

I'm heading to Lake Garda in august and plan a couple of day trips. Venice & Verona.....
Venice on 11:23 - Apr 15 with 5763 viewsDrewster

Venice on 10:45 - Apr 15 by qpr1976

What was Verona like ?

I'm heading to Lake Garda in august and plan a couple of day trips. Venice & Verona.....

Verona is beautiful, like a mini Rome without the crowds.
Very clean and safe, recommend it with out a doubt, we were only there 24 hours before getting the train to Venice, but I want to go back again. Great places to eat and drink as you would expect.
I'm sure you can get the train from Lake Garda to Verona, check Trenitalia for times.
Mind you, like Venice, it'll be scorchio in August.
Venice on 13:31 - Apr 15 with 5737 viewsBrightonhoop

Venice on 11:23 - Apr 15 by Drewster

Very clean and safe, recommend it with out a doubt, we were only there 24 hours before getting the train to Venice, but I want to go back again. Great places to eat and drink as you would expect.
I'm sure you can get the train from Lake Garda to Verona, check Trenitalia for times.

Must visit Verona.
On Venice, on a budget, there's a decent hotel about 2km away with buses into the centre, think it's a Forté...take your own water, everything is crazily exensive, if you sto for a coffee drink it at the bar with the locals for half the cost, and eat at the small family places. By the time I asked for the bill the waiter was QPR. That was back in the Briatore era. There's some very smart speed boats, in wood, to take you around to St Marks Square, about 60/70 euro for a 10 min ride, but a great way to see the city as well as walking it. Dont be afraid to haggle. They kinda respect you more for it. Good time of year to go too because by August it stinks worse than sewers lol.
Venice on 09:24 - Apr 16 with 5647 viewskingsburyR

As usual this board comes up.trumps!!!

Most appreciated chaps!!!

Venice on 10:02 - Apr 16 with 5621 viewsqpr1976

Venice on 11:23 - Apr 15 by Drewster

Thanks, will definitely do Venice & Verona, and possibly Milan as it's only an hour away by train. Should be a game at San Siro whilst were there too......
Venice on 22:41 - Apr 16 with 5554 viewsCiderwithRsie

Spent my honeymoon in Venice, in January. Best advice is therefore not terribly helpful i.e. go in winter - far fewer tourists, no stink from the canals, weather perfectly acceptable so kong as you dress sensibly (you're not going to be lounging on the beach in any case) and every excuse to have a cafe corretto (espresso with a shot of neat spirits in it) just after breakfast. Still, who needs an excuse eh? It's not as if you'll be driving.

Best thing has already been mentioned - one of the few places on earth where you can walk absolutely everywhere without having to worry about traffic and still have world class art and architecture all around you.

We stayed at the Hotel Al Sole - it was lovely, a medieval palace, four poster bed, the lot - but it was the honeymoon so I wasn't really counting the cost.

Also, the streets were flooded. I mean really, they were - we had to buy wellies from the shop next door before we could walk down the road, and the hotel had to shift the restaurant upstairs for the first two nights till the water went down.
Venice on 08:40 - Apr 17 with 5490 viewsToast_R

First stop on my honeymoon cruise. Loved it but I reckon Florence is a better visit.
Venice on 21:31 - Apr 17 with 5425 viewshopphoops

Been a few times and it's always amazing. I don't have a secret perfect hotel but i would say it's worth paying the extra to stay in the city rather than on the mainland (Mestre is a munter of a town).

Instead of restaurants eat cicchetti in bars. Pronouced chick-etti, it's Venetian tapas and always fresh and excellent. In contrast, restaurants serve 100,000 seafood covers a day and 99% comes from the Sea of Findus. Here's some tips: https://blog.mrandmrssmith.com/venice-food-guide-best-bacari

Drinking wine from mid-morning onwards is fine and recommendable. Prosecco is fine, but branch out. Aperol soda is really for the ladies, Campari soda is more rancid and manly. As Cider recommends, caffe corretto ('corrected' with a shot of grappa) hits the spot.

If you're thinking of stumping up for a gondola, consider instead getting a water taxi from the airport. Get Mrs Kinsgsbury some giant shades and you'll arrive like the Clooneys.

Last but not least, amuse yourselves and passers-by by shouting You Rs at every gondolier you see in blue and white hoops.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Venice on 14:59 - Apr 18 with 5365 viewsKonk

Venice is bloody amazing. We did all the usual sight-seeing, but thought the nicer spot for getting away from the worst of the crowds was the Cannaregio neighbourhood — much quieter and so lovely spots for sitting out by the water with a drink and some food. Had a great steak here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1069463-Reviews-Al_Timo

Cantinone—già Schiavi — does amazing cicheti and I could eat my lunch there every day for the rest of my life and die a very happy man. Not open in the evening.

This article might be useful: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/feb/13/venice-bar-snacks-cicheti-wine

Have an amazing trip — it’s such a wonderful place despite the sheer number of tourists.

Everything goes very, very quiet from about 9pm onwards if our trip was anything to go by. As others have said, prepare to take major detours back to your hotel if there’s any flooding, definitely do a gondola and enjoy yourselves. Water buses were a good way of getting around and seeing the city from the water: http://actv.avmspa.it/en/content/water-bus-service-timetable-0

On Verona — great city — really nice and very compact; Padua is also lovely and nearby. We trained it from Verona to Padua and onto Venice. Padua is like a mini-Bologna, and had hardly any visitors.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Venice on 08:08 - May 13 with 5162 viewskingsburyR

Venice on 11:45 - Apr 14 by LythamR

Gents,

Had to put it organising this onto the back burner for a coupe of weeks due to work.

Is the island of Murano to far out to base ourselves???

Venice on 10:07 - May 13 with 5100 viewsBrightonhoop

Venice on 08:08 - May 13 by kingsburyR

Gents,

Had to put it organising this onto the back burner for a coupe of weeks due to work.

Is the island of Murano to far out to base ourselves???

Murano is worth a visit, amazing glass, but not enough going on for a base imho.
Venice on 10:08 - May 13 with 5098 viewsLythamR

I would think carefully before actually staying in Murano.

have a look at the water bus information to check times of first and last services and check services from the Airport or you could end up having to go into the main island and then out to Murano at the start and end of the trip

https://www.rometoolkit.com/venice_visit/venice_water_transport.html

If you were going to do it all by water taxis then there would be no problem but they are pretty expensive so check the current fare costs,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024