Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'twas 20 years ago today.. 09:54 - Aug 26 with 1862 viewsWalnut

26/8/00 - Home debut for loanee, one Paul Furlong. Bundles one in to beat Crewe 1-0
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 10:03 - Aug 26 with 1825 viewsstowmarketrange

If I remember rightly didn’t it come off his backside?Or was he scraping his butt at the time?
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:19 - Aug 26 with 1753 views2Thomas2Bowles

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 10:03 - Aug 26 by stowmarketrange

If I remember rightly didn’t it come off his backside?Or was he scraping his butt at the time?

I remember a guy that said he would never rate or get to like him till he could do the 3 card trick/ farther son and holy ghost in scoring in a game

Then at Sheffield, he must have fallen 2 rows celebrating his goal.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:28 - Aug 26 with 1740 viewsRs_Holy

That was a very depressing season where nothing seemed to work including Furs initial loan period... I remember everyone being decidedly fed up with this loan because he formerly played for chelsea.
He played a few games, got injured and then went back to Birmingham and we all thought 'good riddance'.... the rest as they say is history
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:30 - Aug 26 with 1736 viewsMaggsinho

Was that the game when he got booed on to the pitch coming on as sub?
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:38 - Aug 26 with 1710 viewsRs_Holy

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:30 - Aug 26 by Maggsinho

can't remember which game it was but he definitely got booed during his first loan period... we were not happy campers at that time.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:40 - Aug 26 with 1706 viewspaulparker

I was at this game , it was as a dull as dishwater didn’t Langley & rose both break legs in this one ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:40 - Aug 26 with 1705 viewsstowmarketrange

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:30 - Aug 26 by Maggsinho

I don’t remember that,but it wouldn’t surprise me.I do remember when the b@stard scored a last minute winner for the scum against us in January 96.
I was living in Waltham abbey at the time and as I walked out of Waltham cross station the building opposite the entrance was Furlong Homes.Just what I needed to see to wind me up again.
Who would’ve thought that he’d turn into such a hero for us a few years later.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:44 - Aug 26 with 1693 viewsRs_Holy

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:40 - Aug 26 by paulparker

I was at this game , it was as a dull as dishwater didn’t Langley & rose both break legs in this one ?

It might have been Ian Barraclough in that game?... Langley and Clarke Carlisle both did their cruciates against Fulham near the end of that season.
Login to get fewer ads

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:47 - Aug 26 with 1685 viewsHunterhoop

He closed down a keeper’s kick and it rebounded into the empty net.

If Mackie had done the same in his career it would have been lauded as representative of his work rate.

The abuse Furlong got during that loan spell and around the Vauxhall Motors game was appalling and completely unreasonable, and proved to be as such.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:47 - Aug 26 with 1682 viewsMaggsinho

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:44 - Aug 26 by Rs_Holy

It might have been Ian Barraclough in that game?... Langley and Clarke Carlisle both did their cruciates against Fulham near the end of that season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/895554.stm

Karl Ready and Baraclough.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:52 - Aug 26 with 1670 viewsMrSheen

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:47 - Aug 26 by Hunterhoop

He closed down a keeper’s kick and it rebounded into the empty net.

If Mackie had done the same in his career it would have been lauded as representative of his work rate.

The abuse Furlong got during that loan spell and around the Vauxhall Motors game was appalling and completely unreasonable, and proved to be as such.

I have a dim memory of him squaring up to one of the Sodje brothers in that game. I was impressed by him putting himself about like that as a loanee, and that was even before I saw Robert Taylor shuffling around a bit later.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:58 - Aug 26 with 1655 viewsRs_Holy

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 11:52 - Aug 26 by MrSheen

I have a dim memory of him squaring up to one of the Sodje brothers in that game. I was impressed by him putting himself about like that as a loanee, and that was even before I saw Robert Taylor shuffling around a bit later.

its funny the sketchy stuff you remember from years ago... I remember Christer Warren replacing Barraclough and I was really impressed with his debut... It all went downhill very quickly for Christer after that.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 12:05 - Aug 26 with 1646 viewsW7Ranger

Furlong also got absolutely hammered by fans when we lost to Cardiff 0-4 at home.

I'm ashamed and embarrassed to say I was one of the them.

Loved how Furlong managed to turn it around and get the fans onside.

Not many players will have gone from rock bottom to legend status at Rangers like Furling managed to do. Especially ex scum as well.

Also has the worlds smallest ears don't yer know?

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 12:13 - Aug 26 with 1629 viewsslmrstid

Not sure if there's a bit of mixed memories going on here...

He was on loan for about a month in 2000/01 - scoring that goal with his bum against Crewe as correctly surmised, think he went back injured after getting injured away at West Brom (an away game I remember being at at 11...)

Then he came back on loan again in 2002/03 before joining permanently that season too, I remember the pelters he got against Cardiff in the 4-0 defeat at home for missing from about 6 yards out.

He got booed coming onto the pitch as a sub away at Chesterfield, promptly wallopped one in, then never looked back after that and deservedly became a Rangers hero, including one of my all time heroes.

Thanks to a mutual friend, Furs sent me a card for my wedding, which I was incredibly touched by and would love to be able to properly meet him one day to say thank you - even though it was 7 years ago and he doesn't probably remember it - I do!
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 12:30 - Aug 26 with 1594 viewsted_hendrix

He was very, very clever in and around the penalty box, he knew all the tricks, cant remember who it was against but I watched him as he knelt on a defender to keep him on the floor (whilst Furs was feigning injury) whilst in the penalty area as the second ball came in Furs was up like a rocket and put the ball in the net.

He'll do for me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 12:36 - Aug 26 with 1578 viewsMetallica_Hoop

He got booed at one of the Wycombe bank holiday games when I thought he was one of our better players and had one disallowed.

I remember someone shouting out "Ch*****a C**t" come on who was it?

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 14:35 - Aug 26 with 1470 viewsHunterhoop

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 12:13 - Aug 26 by slmrstid

Not sure if there's a bit of mixed memories going on here...

He was on loan for about a month in 2000/01 - scoring that goal with his bum against Crewe as correctly surmised, think he went back injured after getting injured away at West Brom (an away game I remember being at at 11...)

Then he came back on loan again in 2002/03 before joining permanently that season too, I remember the pelters he got against Cardiff in the 4-0 defeat at home for missing from about 6 yards out.

He got booed coming onto the pitch as a sub away at Chesterfield, promptly wallopped one in, then never looked back after that and deservedly became a Rangers hero, including one of my all time heroes.

Thanks to a mutual friend, Furs sent me a card for my wedding, which I was incredibly touched by and would love to be able to properly meet him one day to say thank you - even though it was 7 years ago and he doesn't probably remember it - I do!

That Crewe game was the charged down kick.

He got pellets during that spell and the subsequent spell early on especially that Vauxhall Motors/Cardiff week.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 14:43 - Aug 26 with 1461 viewsHunterhoop

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 12:30 - Aug 26 by ted_hendrix

He was very, very clever in and around the penalty box, he knew all the tricks, cant remember who it was against but I watched him as he knelt on a defender to keep him on the floor (whilst Furs was feigning injury) whilst in the penalty area as the second ball came in Furs was up like a rocket and put the ball in the net.

He'll do for me.

Good point, Ted.

I remember the 3-2 home win against Leicester, where Furs bagged two and Lee Cook scored a diving header, and we came back from 2-0 down in the first half. David Connolly was sent off for them.

I remember late in the first half Furlong chasing a long ball shoulder to shoulder with Keown. They were grappling away and both fell to the ground and there was a bit of argy bargy and both were booked, I think. Anyway, the next day or so in the papers somewhere was a still photo of the incident from the other side, the school end, and you can see what caused them to fall over: Furlong’s hand is in a fist shape. And as they’re tussling, holding shirts whilst running, it looks for all the works like Furs is lining up a cheeky upper cut on the stumbling Keown....no way could any Lino or ref spot it, but sure that’s what he was up to. Knew how to handle himself.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 15:05 - Aug 26 with 1428 viewsW7Ranger

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 14:43 - Aug 26 by Hunterhoop

Good point, Ted.

I remember the 3-2 home win against Leicester, where Furs bagged two and Lee Cook scored a diving header, and we came back from 2-0 down in the first half. David Connolly was sent off for them.

I remember late in the first half Furlong chasing a long ball shoulder to shoulder with Keown. They were grappling away and both fell to the ground and there was a bit of argy bargy and both were booked, I think. Anyway, the next day or so in the papers somewhere was a still photo of the incident from the other side, the school end, and you can see what caused them to fall over: Furlong’s hand is in a fist shape. And as they’re tussling, holding shirts whilst running, it looks for all the works like Furs is lining up a cheeky upper cut on the stumbling Keown....no way could any Lino or ref spot it, but sure that’s what he was up to. Knew how to handle himself.

Martin Keown. A man who fell out of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down...

then the tree fell on him!!

This one... ?

[Post edited 26 Aug 2020 15:08]
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 15:29 - Aug 26 with 1397 viewsHunterhoop

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 15:05 - Aug 26 by W7Ranger

Martin Keown. A man who fell out of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down...

This one... ?

Yes! Although I think these were all after the photo I saw...the precursor to the first one of Keown on his back!
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 15:34 - Aug 26 with 1389 viewsMrSheen

'twas 20 years ago today.. on 15:05 - Aug 26 by W7Ranger

This one... ?

I can understand Dion Dublin getting involved, but not Lee's best decision!
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 15:55 - Aug 26 with 1355 viewsgazza1

Top bloke Furlong, never shirked his responsibilities.....and yes that Friday night against Cardiff was disgraceful. Had a beer in the South Africa Road stand and left 30-45 minutes after the game and walked along the road with Furlong himself, pure coincidence......spoke to him about the abuse, he said he understood the fans frustration.

As an aside.....yesterday 25th August our dear old Daphne Biggs died 18 years ago - how time flies. Another proper person.
'twas 20 years ago today.. on 16:42 - Aug 26 with 1306 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Furlong was one of those players that I couldn't understand why clubs kept giving him chances. I'd never seen him play well on TV and his goals to game ratio felt poor.

I'd never before and don't think I'll ever again change my opinion on a QPR player so fundamentally. He went from someone I actively disliked seeing on the team sheet, to someone that I began to appreciate, to someone that I enjoyed watching, then eventually he morphed into one my favourite all-time players.

When he eventually got fit and some service, he oozed class. His movement, his athleticism, professionalism and attitude were all first class. In retrospect, I don't know how he didn't achieve more in the game before he came to us, because he was clearly way too good for our division for a good 5 years, despite his advanced age. He was so dependable and seemed to show up right when you needed him. His performances and goals against Oldham and Sheffield Wednesday, both typically cool finishes in massive games / moments will never, ever be forgotten by me.

Sorry to get a bit emo about the guy but I absolutely loved that man. The Oldham goal was pretty much the first real taste of success for me as a QPR fan, given our fairly meteoric downfall during my teenage years. I'll never forget those games, those nights and those goals. I hope he knows how much we all appreciated what he did for us. A real and unquestionable Rangers legend.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024