Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? 19:28 - Jan 7 with 1856 viewsJules4367

I am really getting incensed by the way assistant referees see the ball go out of play right by the side of them and wait for the referee (20-50 feet way) to raise his arm and then they flag in that direction. It is the same with clear fouls in front of them.

Have the rules and their duties changed to flagging for offside and then everything else is the ref's decision?
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 19:37 - Jan 7 with 1788 viewsLordPork

They appear to be a total waste of time, and money. In lower leagues where every penny counts, just whats the point of having them? Simply responding to referee's decisions, pointless.

How many time do we see it, usually right under the Loft is common, blatant ignoring of what they see and total toadying to the ref, why bother?
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 22:41 - Jan 7 with 1650 viewscolinallcars

Am I correct in thinking linos only flag for offsides and only for fouls if the ref is unsighted ?
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 10:18 - Jan 8 with 1467 viewsPinnerPaul

The delay will be because they are talking to each other.

Have to say, some of you must be watching different games, often the referee will not signal many throws himself.

Throws - usual instruction is "Your 1/3 of the pitch, I will follow you, my 1/3 you follow me, in the middle, we communicate" At my level that's by subtle signals to each other, at the top they just talk to each other.

One final point, play close to the AR, its impossible for him to check ball in/out of play, possible fouls AND offside.

As he is the only one able to judge offside and in the best position to judge ball in and out of play, makes sense to leave the foul call to the ref.

As for getting rid of ARs, good luck with offside!
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 11:08 - Jan 8 with 1410 viewsstevenagehoop

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 10:18 - Jan 8 by PinnerPaul

The delay will be because they are talking to each other.

Have to say, some of you must be watching different games, often the referee will not signal many throws himself.

Throws - usual instruction is "Your 1/3 of the pitch, I will follow you, my 1/3 you follow me, in the middle, we communicate" At my level that's by subtle signals to each other, at the top they just talk to each other.

One final point, play close to the AR, its impossible for him to check ball in/out of play, possible fouls AND offside.

As he is the only one able to judge offside and in the best position to judge ball in and out of play, makes sense to leave the foul call to the ref.

As for getting rid of ARs, good luck with offside!

Unfortunately in my time there were still a fair number of referees who still instructed you not to give them anything before they had signalled - was one of the reasons I used to dislike being on the line.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 11:13 - Jan 8 with 1393 viewsPinnerPaul

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 11:08 - Jan 8 by stevenagehoop

Unfortunately in my time there were still a fair number of referees who still instructed you not to give them anything before they had signalled - was one of the reasons I used to dislike being on the line.

Interesting - well we're all human and do things differently, but that's what I get most of the time.

Conversely, a relatively senior (Level 3) referee told me he would be signalling NO throws at all - wanted me and the other AR to make the call and signal on ALL throws, even those 50 yards away!
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 11:34 - Jan 8 with 1349 viewsstowmarketrange

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 11:08 - Jan 8 by stevenagehoop

I regularly run the line for my granddaughter’s U16 games and most refs tell us to leave the fouls to them,and mainly concentrate on throws,corners and gks.
Some tell us to flag for fouls that they miss though.But this is mainly dads and grandads who volunteer to run up and down like an idiot for 80 mins,and some tend to stay in the same place for the whole game and just flag because they guess that someone might be offside,but they aren’t in line with the player so they can’t possibly know for sure.
But if you didn’t have the volunteers,you wouldn’t have a game.

I do appreciate what the AR has to put up with in front of the Stan Bowles stand more,but that doesn’t stop me calling him/her a cnt for getting a decision wrong.
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 11:36 - Jan 8 with 1348 viewsPinnerPaul

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 11:34 - Jan 8 by stowmarketrange

I regularly run the line for my granddaughter’s U16 games and most refs tell us to leave the fouls to them,and mainly concentrate on throws,corners and gks.
Some tell us to flag for fouls that they miss though.But this is mainly dads and grandads who volunteer to run up and down like an idiot for 80 mins,and some tend to stay in the same place for the whole game and just flag because they guess that someone might be offside,but they aren’t in line with the player so they can’t possibly know for sure.
But if you didn’t have the volunteers,you wouldn’t have a game.

I do appreciate what the AR has to put up with in front of the Stan Bowles stand more,but that doesn’t stop me calling him/her a cnt for getting a decision wrong.

Instructions to club ARs are completely different to those given to appointed/qualified/neutral ones.
Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 14:17 - Jan 8 with 1273 viewsHamptonR

I agree with Jules.

Sitting in the Ellerslie Road, Stanley Bowles Stand for the best part of fifty years, the ARs on that side rarely gives throws they wait for a signal from the ref.
Which is fine if they are not sure or have been unsighted but most of the time they have a clear view.
It irritates me that they are not trusted to give a throw but can rule a goal out for offside.

I have run the line hundreds of times, the instruction from the more senior refs was always, throw ins and offsides, leave fouls to me.
Login to get fewer ads

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 19:48 - Jan 8 with 1183 viewsOldPedro

Grassroots game for my son today, under 16s. Ref wanted a couple of parents to run the lines and I got handed one of the flags. He didn't want us to call offsides, just flag for throw-in's. First 2 throw-in's I give, he overrules me and gives them both the other way when I was about 5 yards away from the players who last touched the ball and he was about 15-20 yards away.

Made me wondered why he bothered to insist that we had parents running the lines.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 15:37 - Jan 9 with 1044 viewsPinnerPaul

Assistant referees ruled by the ref - anyone else peeved at this? on 19:48 - Jan 8 by OldPedro

Grassroots game for my son today, under 16s. Ref wanted a couple of parents to run the lines and I got handed one of the flags. He didn't want us to call offsides, just flag for throw-in's. First 2 throw-in's I give, he overrules me and gives them both the other way when I was about 5 yards away from the players who last touched the ball and he was about 15-20 yards away.

Made me wondered why he bothered to insist that we had parents running the lines.

My pre match for parents used to be something like this (I don't do many now)

"Thanks for helping out. If you can help me with ball in and out of play with nice clear signals.
Offside - lets keep it simple, if a player plays the ball or is about to flag. I'll try not to disagree with you, but if I do, try not to get too upset about it. Anything major we can have a chat afterwards. Leave all fouls, foul throws etc to me. If anyone has a word with you, let me know and I'll have a word with them. Thanks for volunteering"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024