Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! 08:48 - May 21 with 3572 viewsnumptydumpty

Boring I know and not QPR related, but who in present era, do we think can be looked back in years to come with legendary status.

I know in recent years it's been Messi and to a lesser extent Ronaldo.

One that goes under the radar and still got plenty to give is De Bruyne. To me the Chelsea reject has had more influence than someone more heralded such as Neymar. Fantastic player.

Clearly, Haaland and Mbappe are likely to hold superstar status for as long as their bodies hold up. What Haaland has managed this season and for a 21 year old also is obscene !!!

Appreciate might get the odd answer - couldn't care less !!! 🤣

Thoughts anyone - am guessing baller Andre Dozzell could get a mention !! 🤔

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 09:01 - May 21 with 2863 viewscyprusmel

Harry Kane
James Milner
As mentioned Kevin De Bruyne
Haaland
Mo Salah
Zlatan Ibrahimovitch
[Post edited 21 May 2023 9:03]
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 10:22 - May 21 with 2767 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Modric. Consistently brilliant in the biggest matches.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 10:30 - May 21 with 2760 viewsloftboy

Taylor Richards 😇

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 11:54 - May 21 with 2687 viewsPhildo

Vinícius Júnior looks like one that might get there to me
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 12:13 - May 21 with 2655 viewsR_from_afar

Definitely a contender:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 12:33 - May 21 with 2629 viewsAntti_Heinola

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 09:01 - May 21 by cyprusmel

Harry Kane
James Milner
As mentioned Kevin De Bruyne
Haaland
Mo Salah
Zlatan Ibrahimovitch
[Post edited 21 May 2023 9:03]

Milner?

Love him, tremendous player. But we're talking all time top of the shop greats, yes?

Bare bones.

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 13:45 - May 21 with 2561 viewsQueeg

Manuel Neuer. Changed the nature of his position........like a Gilchrist.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 14:19 - May 21 with 2521 viewscyprusmel

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 12:33 - May 21 by Antti_Heinola

Milner?

Love him, tremendous player. But we're talking all time top of the shop greats, yes?

One of my personal choice of all time greats.
623 league appearances all but 6 in the Premier league.
855 appearances altogether.
Played 131 times for England 61 at full level.
3 Premier league titles, 2 FA cups, 1 League cup, UEFA Champions league, UEFA Super cup and more runners up medals.
Plays in many positions comfortably and always seems fit and available.
In my opinion a player who inspires or should inspire the younger generation of up and coming footballers.
When ever you watch him he always puts a shift in and is always looking for the ball and always geeing up his team mates.
Login to get fewer ads

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 15:43 - May 21 with 2470 viewsToast_R

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 13:45 - May 21 by Queeg

Manuel Neuer. Changed the nature of his position........like a Gilchrist.

An incredible shot stopper too, even when the ball bounces a metre behind his goal line.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 15:55 - May 21 with 2424 viewsClive_Anderson

Suarez for me, one of the most entertaining players I've ever seen.

Still doing it in Brazil:

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 19:07 - May 21 with 2345 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just retiring - Busquets.

Also add in the Man C and Liverpool goalies as possible all-time greats by the time they've finished.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 20:33 - May 21 with 2273 viewsDorse

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 14:19 - May 21 by cyprusmel

3 Premier league titles, 2 FA cups, 1 League cup, UEFA Champions league, UEFA Super cup and more runners up medals.
In my opinion a player who inspires or should inspire the younger generation of up and coming footballers.
When ever you watch him he always puts a shift in and is always looking for the ball and always geeing up his team mates.

Yeah, but he's rubbish at Swingball.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 21:15 - May 21 with 2235 viewsjoe90

Legendary status in years to come? Has to be the one and only Taarabt!
[Post edited 21 May 2023 21:22]
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 22:51 - May 21 with 2159 viewsnumptydumpty

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 21:15 - May 21 by joe90

Legendary status in years to come? Has to be the one and only Taarabt!
[Post edited 21 May 2023 21:22]

Even as an ardent QPR fan - Taraabt its a big no from me !!!

one season wonder !!!

Like the thinking around Milner - he is more the ultimate professional - ie everything is done to the nth degree - not supremely talented but able to get the absolute maximum out of himself and possibly legendary in terms of longevity and being a massively effective team player - managers dream.

Wherever he goes next, bet he does very well for another two seasons ahead somewhere.

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 08:46 - May 22 with 2067 viewsGroveR

I said before he kicked a ball this season, Haaland would be into Mitrovic-in-the-championship numbers and he is. He'll batter all premier league records.

Unfortunately he'll probably never win anything at international level and winning a big international tournament is pretty much expected of a world-class player. Same with De Bruyne as long as Belgium continue to bed-shìt the knock-out stages.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 09:21 - May 22 with 2033 viewsTomS

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 08:46 - May 22 by GroveR

I said before he kicked a ball this season, Haaland would be into Mitrovic-in-the-championship numbers and he is. He'll batter all premier league records.

Unfortunately he'll probably never win anything at international level and winning a big international tournament is pretty much expected of a world-class player. Same with De Bruyne as long as Belgium continue to bed-shìt the knock-out stages.

You don't have to play on an ultra competitive international team to be considered among the all time greats.

Di Stefano, Giggs and Best certainly fall into that category.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 09:49 - May 22 with 2002 viewsdaveB

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 22:51 - May 21 by numptydumpty

one season wonder !!!

Like the thinking around Milner - he is more the ultimate professional - ie everything is done to the nth degree - not supremely talented but able to get the absolute maximum out of himself and possibly legendary in terms of longevity and being a massively effective team player - managers dream.

Wherever he goes next, bet he does very well for another two seasons ahead somewhere.

One season wonder my arse, go back and watch some of the highlights from his 2 years in the prem and 18 months before that title winning season, was still our best player doing some incredible things we haven't seen anyone do since.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 10:03 - May 22 with 1963 viewsterryb

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 09:21 - May 22 by TomS

You don't have to play on an ultra competitive international team to be considered among the all time greats.

Di Stefano, Giggs and Best certainly fall into that category.

Di Stefano actually played for three national sides, but Colombia weren't recognised by FIFA at the time.

I wouldn't regard Argentina (birth) or Spain (nationalised) as being below top level! IMO, Alfredo is still the best player I've seen, even though this was on television & not in the flesh.

If Bale & Ramsey can get Wales to qualify for tournaments, Odegaard & Haaland must have a chance to achieve the same with Norway.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 10:12]
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 10:18 - May 22 with 1935 viewsterryb

Central defenders is an interesting one to me. What is the criteria for judging them? Defending or creating?

The greats that I've seen - Moore, Beckenbauer, Passarella & a host of Italians could all do both, but in recent years I can only think of Kompany that comes close to these.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 12:50 - May 22 with 1875 viewsjoe90

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 22:51 - May 21 by numptydumpty

one season wonder !!!

I guess I was thinking about it from the ‘legendary’ angle, players that people will remember, talk about, those kind of conversation where people will ask did see that person play? Show their grandchildren highlights etc.

But yeah, Milner’s versatility and work rate will be the stuff legends. Children will replicate it in the streets and cages of inner city estates.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 13:06 - May 22 with 1841 viewstraininvain

Cortouis has to be amongst the best keepers I’ve seen. Benzema another who seems to get better with age like Modric.
All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 13:13 - May 22 with 1822 viewsAntti_Heinola

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 14:19 - May 21 by cyprusmel

absolutely every bit is true and I agree with every word.

But it's semantics I guess. He is not in any way 'an all time great' is he? He's a really good footballer, a model pro but I think all time greats get you off your seat (regularly) and can do things others can't. Much as I love Milner, he's not that is he?

Bare bones.

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 13:18 - May 22 with 1808 viewsAntti_Heinola

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 10:03 - May 22 by terryb

Di Stefano actually played for three national sides, but Colombia weren't recognised by FIFA at the time.

I wouldn't regard Argentina (birth) or Spain (nationalised) as being below top level! IMO, Alfredo is still the best player I've seen, even though this was on television & not in the flesh.

If Bale & Ramsey can get Wales to qualify for tournaments, Odegaard & Haaland must have a chance to achieve the same with Norway.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 10:12]

Was going to say the same thing. Going to be harder to qualify for tournaments than not qualify going forward, so Norway will get there. If they can get a few workmanlike players around Odegaard, Berge and Haaland, they should be the sort of team that could perhaps make a semi final, like Croatia/Sweden/Denmark etc have done fairly recently.

Bare bones.

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 15:26 - May 22 with 1764 viewsnumptydumpty

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 09:49 - May 22 by daveB

One season wonder my arse, go back and watch some of the highlights from his 2 years in the prem and 18 months before that title winning season, was still our best player doing some incredible things we haven't seen anyone do since.

We are talking all time current greats here NOT rangers all time greats.

Taraabt I would say the promotion winning season is the only time he has achieved such heights.

At premiership level in a poor QPR side and for many years after abroad, a kebab lifestyle was never going to get the ability out of the man that he truly possessed.

Being our best player when we finished very low down in premier and only intermittently also after abroad etc, is nowhere near world class status.

You misreading the context of the thread..

Touched a nerve I sense !!

Touche !!!
[Post edited 22 May 2023 15:30]

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 18:53 - May 22 with 1695 viewsdaveB

All time greats in football - Players of today !!! on 15:26 - May 22 by numptydumpty

We are talking all time current greats here NOT rangers all time greats.

Taraabt I would say the promotion winning season is the only time he has achieved such heights.

At premiership level in a poor QPR side and for many years after abroad, a kebab lifestyle was never going to get the ability out of the man that he truly possessed.

Being our best player when we finished very low down in premier and only intermittently also after abroad etc, is nowhere near world class status.

You misreading the context of the thread..

Touched a nerve I sense !!

Touche !!!
[Post edited 22 May 2023 15:30]

I was just saying he wasn't a one season wonder, I never suggested he was an all time great
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024