Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car advice - 7 seater 21:53 - Aug 24 with 4823 viewsDixie_CT

Due to my efforts to address the reductions of births in the UK, I now need a 7 seater car.

I don’t really want a Vauxhall or Ford and have been quite taken with the Chevrolet Orlando.

Budget is up-to £6k.

Am a car numpty so any advice would be gratefully received 🚗
Car advice - 7 seater on 22:05 - Aug 24 with 3708 viewsStreathamRanger

I know you say you don't fancy a vauxhall but I've had two years trouble free with a Zafira tourer. 2016 plate so cost a bit more than your 6k budget but could be worth seeing what you can get for that money.

I hear cost of used cars has really shot up last year or so.
Car advice - 7 seater on 22:22 - Aug 24 with 3667 viewsstowmarketrange

We had an Alhambra for 16 years from virtually new and it was a brilliant car for us and never let us down at all.And the beauty of it was that you could remove all the seats and use it to carry bulky furniture and other big stuff.My daughter in law has just bought a Ford people carrier and you can’t remove the seats from them,with the result that I couldn’t even get a chest of drawers in it.
Car advice - 7 seater on 22:44 - Aug 24 with 3616 viewsdanehoop

Big up for the SEAT Alhambra which is a good car. Other one to look out for but rarer is a Toyota Previa, good car and reasonable degree of flexibility and reliability. Ideally though you will need to increase your budget by quite a bit to get something outside of the Vauxhall/Ford range. The Orlando has a pretty poor reliability and safety record.

Never knowingly understood

Car advice - 7 seater on 06:08 - Aug 25 with 3483 viewsWokingR

Having had Vauxhall Zafiras, Chrysler Voyagers and Landrover Discoveries since having kids, the best we had was a Mitsubishi Outlander. This was the previous model, before they all went Phev, so had the split rear boot that folded down and was great for kids to sit on.
Car advice - 7 seater on 07:09 - Aug 25 with 3420 viewsWesley2Hoops

Bought a zafira about 5 years ago for less than £3k and it's done us proud so far. No idea about any others (or cars in general!).

Only things I'd say are:

We've 'only' got 3 kids and still ended up buying a big roof box. Game changer. So much nicer not spending hours trying to stuff everything into the boot and close it before everything comes tumbling out across a car park.

And from what I can gather, the used car market is ridiculous at the minute. We've put 5 years and 20 odd thousand miles on our zafira and it looks like it will barely have gone down in value. No idea whether this is likely to change any time soon.

And finally: if you're on car seats, I reluctantly found isofix worth the extra cash.

Good luck!
Car advice - 7 seater on 09:40 - Aug 25 with 3282 viewsTheChef

All depends on budget of course, my brother in law has a Hyundai Santa Fe and they seem pretty happy with it.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Car advice - 7 seater on 10:21 - Aug 25 with 3222 viewsDixie_CT

Thanks for all the insight. Seems like putting my budget up to £8k - £9k could get me a SEAT but a Zafira would be adequate if I wanna save the pennies.
Car advice - 7 seater on 16:45 - Aug 25 with 3027 viewsOldPedro

We had a Zafira when the kids were younger - it did a good job and was cheap to run. Only downside was whenever my wife was going out with her friends, I always seemed to be the one who would drop them off/pick them up because of all the seats :-)

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Car advice - 7 seater on 17:08 - Aug 25 with 2994 viewsToast_R

I think Ford make pretty decent cars these days and being in your situation and after doing a lot of research I opted for the Ford Grand C-Max Titanum 1.6 petrol engine. Bought it in 2020 just before lockdown and got a 2014 plate with 35,000 on the clock for 10K. I have to say it's been immaculate so far. Sliding rear passenger doors which are so handy for getting the kids in and out when parked in tight spots. Easy to setup into a 7 seater when required. Really smooth ride all round and has all the mod cons you need. Best purchase I've ever made automobile wise.
Car advice - 7 seater on 21:41 - Aug 25 with 2845 viewsstowmarketrange

Car advice - 7 seater on 17:08 - Aug 25 by Toast_R

I think Ford make pretty decent cars these days and being in your situation and after doing a lot of research I opted for the Ford Grand C-Max Titanum 1.6 petrol engine. Bought it in 2020 just before lockdown and got a 2014 plate with 35,000 on the clock for 10K. I have to say it's been immaculate so far. Sliding rear passenger doors which are so handy for getting the kids in and out when parked in tight spots. Easy to setup into a 7 seater when required. Really smooth ride all round and has all the mod cons you need. Best purchase I've ever made automobile wise.

That’s the one where you can’t remove the seats though isn’t it?
Car advice - 7 seater on 22:56 - Aug 25 with 2793 viewsGaryT

Had a Zafira for quite a few years, can't compare it to other 7 seaters but found it lacked a bit of quality when compared to my other cars. The seat covers ripped a couple of times when kneeling on them (have kneeled on others and nothing). Found the gear box to be clunky and the two rear seats are pretty basic and only good for small kids. If I was looking for a 7 seater today I'd be looking for something with a bit more quality in the seats. Quite small though so there's that.
Car advice - 7 seater on 23:11 - Aug 25 with 2779 viewsA40Bosh

There are only 3 7 seater cars I would ever buy again

1. Seat Alhambra
2. Seat Alhambra
3. Seat Alhambra

If I had to pick another one after that it would then probably have to be

A SEAT ALHAMBRA
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 23:13]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Car advice - 7 seater on 23:52 - Aug 25 with 2743 viewsBenny_the_Ball

All good practical options but if you want something with a little more style than an MPV then the previous generation Nissan Qashqai+2 came equipped with 7 seats.
Car advice - 7 seater on 09:35 - Aug 26 with 2639 viewsToast_R

Car advice - 7 seater on 21:41 - Aug 25 by stowmarketrange

That’s the one where you can’t remove the seats though isn’t it?

On the Grand C-MAX, all the passenger seats fold down flat so in effect you have a huge ass boot when required for tip runs and hauling large items around.

Car advice - 7 seater on 06:35 - Dec 1 with 2179 viewsDixie_CT

Something is putting me off getting a Zafira.

Not sure I wanna fork out the extra dough for a second hand, high mileage SEAT.

Quite interested by a brand new Dacia Jogger.
Car advice - 7 seater on 06:55 - Dec 1 with 2136 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Car advice - 7 seater on 06:35 - Dec 1 by Dixie_CT

Something is putting me off getting a Zafira.

Not sure I wanna fork out the extra dough for a second hand, high mileage SEAT.

Quite interested by a brand new Dacia Jogger.

Good God man, you started this thread in August and we'd put it to bed months ago only to find it resurrected in December.

In the interim we've had two monarchs; three PMs; countless Chancellors and Home Secretaries, and I'd wager we'll get our third manager in before you make a purchsse.

Frankly, at this stage, I don't care whether you get a Jogger, a Dogger or a Snogger, but get it sorted ideally before Critchley takes charge, but no later than Christmas.

Oh and if it helps: avoid buying any vehicle where the seller uses terms like honesty and integrity. Good luck!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Car advice - 7 seater on 07:05 - Dec 1 with 2122 viewsPunteR

We've had 2 decent ones. Toyota Corrolla Verso which was rapid and a great car to drive but the fold down seats in the back were for tiny people only. We currently drive a Ford S Max which is also very good. Nice to drive, loads of leg room and really reliable.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Car advice - 7 seater on 07:37 - Dec 1 with 2070 viewsDixie_CT

Car advice - 7 seater on 06:55 - Dec 1 by PlanetHonneywood

Good God man, you started this thread in August and we'd put it to bed months ago only to find it resurrected in December.

In the interim we've had two monarchs; three PMs; countless Chancellors and Home Secretaries, and I'd wager we'll get our third manager in before you make a purchsse.

Frankly, at this stage, I don't care whether you get a Jogger, a Dogger or a Snogger, but get it sorted ideally before Critchley takes charge, but no later than Christmas.

Oh and if it helps: avoid buying any vehicle where the seller uses terms like honesty and integrity. Good luck!

What??? The Queen died? Why didn’t anyone tell me??

Thanks for the feedback PH. Upon reflection I’m going to go away and reflect on why a car and why not another vehicle, like a hovercraft or hot air balloon. After this reflection, I’ll come back for more advice and enter into the penultimate reflective circle process.

Also, I finally ran my shitty black Peugeot 207 into car heaven so things have became a bit more pressing.
Car advice - 7 seater on 07:48 - Dec 1 with 2052 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Car advice - 7 seater on 07:37 - Dec 1 by Dixie_CT

What??? The Queen died? Why didn’t anyone tell me??

Thanks for the feedback PH. Upon reflection I’m going to go away and reflect on why a car and why not another vehicle, like a hovercraft or hot air balloon. After this reflection, I’ll come back for more advice and enter into the penultimate reflective circle process.

Also, I finally ran my shitty black Peugeot 207 into car heaven so things have became a bit more pressing.

At the setting of the sun, we shall remember the 207. It will not be forgotten.

We are with you.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Car advice - 7 seater on 08:42 - Dec 1 with 2009 viewsDixie_CT

Car advice - 7 seater on 07:48 - Dec 1 by PlanetHonneywood

At the setting of the sun, we shall remember the 207. It will not be forgotten.

We are with you.

✊🏼
Car advice - 7 seater on 08:59 - Dec 1 with 1987 viewsMrSheen

Going back a few years, but I loved our 2000-model Renault Espace. It was like flying a spaceship and the kids were thrilled that we could swivel the front seats round to face them, it got some stares on the Eurotunnel (never tried it on the motorway). The seats were lift-out rather than fold down - god they were heavy - but with the back two out we could load the wide double buggy without folding it, and with them all out you had space to move a dining table. It got roughed up inside and out as a kiddy wagon but never gave us mechanical trouble. Great buy for us.
Car advice - 7 seater on 09:15 - Dec 1 with 1961 viewsWokingR

As you were everyone
He's going to mull things over for another 6-12 months in the hope that some of his kids may have grown up and left home before he is forced into a decision
Car advice - 7 seater on 09:22 - Dec 1 with 1937 viewsEsox_Lucius

It is worth considering the added cost of ULEZ zones you may be using before making your final decision... although there may no longer be any diesel or petrol cars on the road by then.

The grass is always greener.

Car advice - 7 seater on 09:27 - Dec 1 with 1933 viewshantssi

Car advice - 7 seater on 09:15 - Dec 1 by WokingR

As you were everyone
He's going to mull things over for another 6-12 months in the hope that some of his kids may have grown up and left home before he is forced into a decision

2 seater sports car it is then!!
Car advice - 7 seater on 09:42 - Dec 1 with 1892 viewsenfieldargh

we had a toyota previa for years, fantastic car and like having a real bus for taking half the football team to matches.

Dread to think what the road tax is now plus I think its not produced anymore in western europe.

Command a high resale value as large demand for them. Down side if you do find one is that they used a battery for a smaller less powerful car so would often get a flat battery if anything like lights left on for too long when the engine is turned off.(Like an hour!!!)

Was going to sell ours about 12 years ago , sadly my wife wrote it off when a small spider popped down in front of her and she drove into a traffic Island!! (No harm done)

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024