Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nelson 10:48 - Nov 8 with 1545 viewsdaveB

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/fears-over7-nelsen-ahead-of13-vital-saints-cl

Looks like he has to fly to China for a friendly 3 days before the Southampton game so will probably miss that one
Nelson on 10:54 - Nov 8 with 1225 viewsjamois

Some of these national associations are simply clueless, or so it appears. So what is currently our first choice defence will be missing. Although Hill can certainly do a job there instead, the similar fight for everything but aging legs scenario. Might not be that different. Am much more concerned by the presence of Ferdinand.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Nelson on 10:54 - Nov 8 with 1215 viewsderbyhoop

We should try the Ashley Cole excuse. Sorry Mr NZ Coach, Ryan is injured and cannot make the trip as he's having treatment. Then he MIRACULOUSLY recovers in time for a game 3 days later.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Nelson on 10:55 - Nov 8 with 1210 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Hopefully he will get stuck down with a virus that clears up on the Friday before the Southampton game
Nelson on 11:02 - Nov 8 with 1189 viewsNeil_SI

I have no problem with this.

I think it's important countries call up their best players and play them, and clubs understand that if they sign players that are from faraway places (or competitions and fixtures that occur during the season), then they have to accept the consequences.

The only way international football can recapture what used to be so great about it, is if players take it seriously and the best players are called up and used.

Ryan Nelsen's experience and pedigree in the game is vital for the development of younger and more inexperienced players over there. Every player should want to play for his country and have a real desire to represent them at every possible opportunity.
Nelson on 11:08 - Nov 8 with 1170 viewsJonDoeman

I blame Hughes.

It Is What It Is !!

Nelson on 11:10 - Nov 8 with 1159 viewsHollowayRanger

id honestly stop signing all international players who put their countries before the club that pays their wages including the african players who kept going off to their afrian nations and yes that includes taarabt

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Nelson on 11:13 - Nov 8 with 1142 viewsdaveB

I think international football would be better suited to only playing in the summer each year. You give the season dates back to the clubs so they finish all club football by second week of May. Then all international qualifers and friendlies are played from Mid Way to end of June. You could easily fit all the qualifiers in that time one year and the tournament the next. would be more exciting as well and give international managers a better chance of building a team in weeks rather than days
Nelson on 11:14 - Nov 8 with 1139 viewsElHoop

Nelson on 11:10 - Nov 8 by HollowayRanger

id honestly stop signing all international players who put their countries before the club that pays their wages including the african players who kept going off to their afrian nations and yes that includes taarabt

What a bloody good idea. Think of how much better we'd be without Nelsen and Taarabt at the moment!
Login to get fewer ads

Nelson on 11:15 - Nov 8 with 1136 viewsEastR

Nelson on 11:02 - Nov 8 by Neil_SI

I think it's important countries call up their best players and play them, and clubs understand that if they sign players that are from faraway places (or competitions and fixtures that occur during the season), then they have to accept the consequences.

The only way international football can recapture what used to be so great about it, is if players take it seriously and the best players are called up and used.

Ryan Nelsen's experience and pedigree in the game is vital for the development of younger and more inexperienced players over there. Every player should want to play for his country and have a real desire to represent them at every possible opportunity.

That's a solid view when applied to competitive fixtures, but it when it comes to friendlies that are arranged for purely the financial gain of the respective FAs, it's a far less convincing argument

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Nelson on 11:16 - Nov 8 with 1127 viewsQPR_Jim

Nelson on 11:10 - Nov 8 by HollowayRanger

Quite frankly if Nelson was the type of player to duck out of internationals and not want to play he wouldn't be the player he is and would have probably retired a couple of years ago!
Nelson on 11:21 - Nov 8 with 1115 viewsjamois

Nelson on 11:02 - Nov 8 by Neil_SI

I think you're largely right Neil, I take your points totally, but when I hark back to the golden years, I don't remember any where near the same number of senseless friendlies taking place as the game wasn't so commercially driven back then as it is now. The annual calendar, number of games across multiple competitions etc means that the burden on players is far greater yet the game is much more intense. How you find the right balance between the values you are representing, which I believe to be correct, and the considerations of modern premiership football is a really tough one. In this case, for me, a friendly on the other side of the world against China just doesn't cut it. Particularly for a player whose commitment to his country could not possibly be questioned and who has constantly set a fine example to others throughout his career.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Nelson on 11:26 - Nov 8 with 1098 viewsTHEBUSH

Nelson on 11:15 - Nov 8 by EastR

That's a solid view when applied to competitive fixtures, but it when it comes to friendlies that are arranged for purely the financial gain of the respective FAs, it's a far less convincing argument

The problem is, players have clauses written in their contracts regarding things like this, so the clubs know exactly what they are getting when a player signs for them.
Nelson on 11:34 - Nov 8 with 1080 viewsNeil_SI

Nelson on 11:21 - Nov 8 by jamois

I think you're largely right Neil, I take your points totally, but when I hark back to the golden years, I don't remember any where near the same number of senseless friendlies taking place as the game wasn't so commercially driven back then as it is now. The annual calendar, number of games across multiple competitions etc means that the burden on players is far greater yet the game is much more intense. How you find the right balance between the values you are representing, which I believe to be correct, and the considerations of modern premiership football is a really tough one. In this case, for me, a friendly on the other side of the world against China just doesn't cut it. Particularly for a player whose commitment to his country could not possibly be questioned and who has constantly set a fine example to others throughout his career.

That's the crux of the problem, it's the international calendar that needs to change and a reduction in friendly matches throughout the season.

Friendly games used to be important though and they still are, but they've been cannibalised by the changes in rules, from as many substitutes and now down to six per match. So they become meaningless and at times totally farcical.

If used and managed properly though, they are very important to a national team's development.

I see little value in those friendly matches being played in August, just days before the Premier League season kicks off, for example. There needs to be some common sense applied and the clubs need to work with their football associations to see if they can agree on a reduction of friendly matches.

But if it were me, when I was a boy and even growing up watching England, I took every friendly match as if it was a serious one. I wanted to see the best players and the country win. I would get very upset and cross otherwise, and, if it were me and I was a player, I'd have wanted to have represented my country on every occasion possible and want to win as many caps as possible. I'd be up for every game and want to play in it, no matter what.
Nelson on 11:37 - Nov 8 with 1070 viewsNorthernr

Take a tip from Rugby Union. Call them 'test matches' instead of 'friendlies' and suddenly the media will start behaving as if the entire world is on tenter hooks. It's all in the marketing, instead of "another round of pointless international friendlies" let's say Ryan Nelsen et al are heading off for "the Autumn tests".
Nelson on 11:45 - Nov 8 with 1049 viewsToast_R

Good luck Ryan Nelson. I've no problem with him wanting to represent his country.

In a way I do blame Hughes for this.
Just shows how shambolic Hughes's transfer policy has been when we're now relying on a 34 year old flying round the world and back in a few days as he's our best defender and sweating on him being able to face the bottom club..... at home.
Nelson on 11:57 - Nov 8 with 1020 viewsNorthernr

Nelson on 11:45 - Nov 8 by Toast_R

Good luck Ryan Nelson. I've no problem with him wanting to represent his country.

In a way I do blame Hughes for this.
Just shows how shambolic Hughes's transfer policy has been when we're now relying on a 34 year old flying round the world and back in a few days as he's our best defender and sweating on him being able to face the bottom club..... at home.

And in January we're losing a clutch of three key players to the ANC. Happy days.
Nelson on 12:04 - Nov 8 with 983 viewsToast_R

Okay, Taraabt, Diakite, Traore and I'm guessing M'bia all out.

Weirdly, we've been at our best this season witouth all those in the side anyway.

Clutching at straws here but you'd like to think there is adequate cover in those areas.

Hughes wont be here then anyway so who knows?
Nelson on 12:22 - Nov 8 with 925 viewsDevonWhite

Nelson on 12:04 - Nov 8 by Toast_R

Okay, Taraabt, Diakite, Traore and I'm guessing M'bia all out.

Weirdly, we've been at our best this season witouth all those in the side anyway.

Clutching at straws here but you'd like to think there is adequate cover in those areas.

Hughes wont be here then anyway so who knows?

Cameroon and Senegal didn't qualify.
Nelson on 12:54 - Nov 8 with 825 viewsA40Bosh

Nelson on 11:34 - Nov 8 by Neil_SI

That's the crux of the problem, it's the international calendar that needs to change and a reduction in friendly matches throughout the season.

Friendly games used to be important though and they still are, but they've been cannibalised by the changes in rules, from as many substitutes and now down to six per match. So they become meaningless and at times totally farcical.

If used and managed properly though, they are very important to a national team's development.

I see little value in those friendly matches being played in August, just days before the Premier League season kicks off, for example. There needs to be some common sense applied and the clubs need to work with their football associations to see if they can agree on a reduction of friendly matches.

But if it were me, when I was a boy and even growing up watching England, I took every friendly match as if it was a serious one. I wanted to see the best players and the country win. I would get very upset and cross otherwise, and, if it were me and I was a player, I'd have wanted to have represented my country on every occasion possible and want to win as many caps as possible. I'd be up for every game and want to play in it, no matter what.

Neil

Part of me still has that view, but the other part of me believes that there is a disconnect in the modern game between the corporations that are Professional Premier League Teams and the international teams which I would liken to the territorial army or doing jury service or voluntary work/work in the community.

It's all great and should be supported and encouraged, but from a selfish point of view if you are a company struggling to stay in business and trying to survive in a really tough economic climate, you are going to lose some of your best employees for 3-4 weeks to go off and do charity work, which can have immediate effect on the company's productivity. Then some of them return shagged out and take a while to get back up to speed on their job or worse than that come back injured and are never the same employee that they once were (Martin Rowlands).

So I can see why we would be fuming come January if we are just getting out of trouble and then have Adel, Traore, Mbia, Diakite and Nelson shooting off to undertake public duties. It is just as well Ale Faurlin has stayed under the Argentinian radar so far and God help us if BZ suddenly turns into a goal machine this month and Woy comes calling!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Nelson on 13:59 - Nov 8 with 710 viewsHollowayRanger

Nelson on 11:14 - Nov 8 by ElHoop

What a bloody good idea. Think of how much better we'd be without Nelsen and Taarabt at the moment!

i know i know easy target

but i want players here fighting to save us not flying around the world for friendlies and the afican nations cup

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Nelson on 14:02 - Nov 8 with 700 viewsNorthernr

Nelson on 13:59 - Nov 8 by HollowayRanger

i know i know easy target

but i want players here fighting to save us not flying around the world for friendlies and the afican nations cup

So you want players who are not good enough to be called up by international teams?
Nelson on 14:03 - Nov 8 with 696 viewsAntti_Heinola

N-E-L-S-E-N watch.

Bare bones.

Nelson on 14:27 - Nov 8 with 653 viewsHollowayRanger

Nelson on 14:02 - Nov 8 by Northernr

So you want players who are not good enough to be called up by international teams?

no i want 35 year olds to commit themselves to the club thats given them one last swansong in the premiership instead of playing friendies that mean nothing

and african cup players doing the same playing for the club that pays their wage instead of missing 4-5-6=- vital games

but like i said they wouldnt be here if i were in charge id stick to buying european players

Listen to the band play!

Nelson on 14:35 - Nov 8 with 638 viewsNorthernr

Nelson on 14:27 - Nov 8 by HollowayRanger

no i want 35 year olds to commit themselves to the club thats given them one last swansong in the premiership instead of playing friendies that mean nothing

and african cup players doing the same playing for the club that pays their wage instead of missing 4-5-6=- vital games

but like i said they wouldnt be here if i were in charge id stick to buying european players

So even though it's the African Nations Cup that actually brings these players to the club's attention in the first place, you think they should shun it as soon as they do have a club?
Nelson on 14:43 - Nov 8 with 621 viewsJonDoeman

Nelson on 14:35 - Nov 8 by Northernr

So even though it's the African Nations Cup that actually brings these players to the club's attention in the first place, you think they should shun it as soon as they do have a club?

He has a point in his first sentence though.

It Is What It Is !!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024