Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PROMOTED with 2 runs required from 1 delivery 11:47 - Feb 2 with 19563 viewsRAFCBLUE

Been looking at the 2009-10 season - there are lots of similarities in the League makeup after 28/29 games, a tight bunch of eight clubs all playing for three places but with a couple (Chesterfield, Scunthorpe) one game better than the rest.

To beat our best ever L2 season (3rd) we need from the last 18 games:

36 points: (12 wins, 11 wins 3 draws, 10 wins, 6 draws, 9 wins 9 draws)
39 goals:

Unlikely we will be able to be the goals against record, only 14 more from now which shows you the quality of Craig Dawson in the promotion season.

The run in starts here - could be very very close.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2014 17:37]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 08:00 - Mar 27 with 3011 viewsTalkingSutty

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 06:36 - Mar 27 by frenzied

Turning point for me was the Lillis save against Bury in the last minute to earn us a point and the last gasp winner against Accy ..this seemed to galvanise the team into a final push ..a negative outcome in these games would have had the opposite response..10 more points should see us up

Ten points? I reckon another 4 will be enough especially if we win on Saturday.

Its impossible to say for sure but once we get to 77/78 points bearing in mind our superior goal difference i reckon that will be enough for promotion. Win on Saturday and we are more or less home and hosed.
10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 10:10 - Mar 27 with 2884 viewsaleanddale

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 08:00 - Mar 27 by TalkingSutty

Ten points? I reckon another 4 will be enough especially if we win on Saturday.

Its impossible to say for sure but once we get to 77/78 points bearing in mind our superior goal difference i reckon that will be enough for promotion. Win on Saturday and we are more or less home and hosed.

Its like the promotion season.

all that drama we were actually promoted at Accy away with the benefit of hindsight.

Same again fast forward to 2014.

4 more points take us to 77 and that will not show us as promoted when it happens ( it surely has to happen !! ) but when we look back at 5pm come the 3rd May its likely that 77 would have got us over the line.

Stuff 77 though in my own head i want 87 to have a chance of the title.

This leaves room for 2 defeats and a draw although please not this Saturday!!
9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 17:06 - Mar 29 with 2781 viewsRAFCBLUE

9 points: (3 wins; 2 wins 3 draws) required.

18 goals required
9 goals still to concede

MOTM: Back 5 - clean sheet = job done.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 20:24 - Mar 29 with 2588 viewsMoonyDale

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 10:10 - Mar 27 by aleanddale

Its like the promotion season.

all that drama we were actually promoted at Accy away with the benefit of hindsight.

Same again fast forward to 2014.

4 more points take us to 77 and that will not show us as promoted when it happens ( it surely has to happen !! ) but when we look back at 5pm come the 3rd May its likely that 77 would have got us over the line.

Stuff 77 though in my own head i want 87 to have a chance of the title.

This leaves room for 2 defeats and a draw although please not this Saturday!!

87 points is my prediction also........

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 20:29 - Mar 29 with 2561 viewsaleanddale

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 20:24 - Mar 29 by MoonyDale

87 points is my prediction also........

13 points from the last 15.

The lads have a good week now to prepare for York.

6 games left 3 home and 3 away. We are in the box seat.

A win v York would be priceless!!!!
10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 21:08 - Mar 29 with 2491 viewsTalkingSutty

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 20:29 - Mar 29 by aleanddale

13 points from the last 15.

The lads have a good week now to prepare for York.

6 games left 3 home and 3 away. We are in the box seat.

A win v York would be priceless!!!!

Because of the points cushion there is no pressure. We can go into Saturdays game in the knowledge that York are the team who have to win the game because play off places are all still up for grabs. Just keep going for the wins and dont become negative, its worked up to now.
10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 21:11 - Mar 29 with 2479 viewsMoonyDale

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 21:08 - Mar 29 by TalkingSutty

Because of the points cushion there is no pressure. We can go into Saturdays game in the knowledge that York are the team who have to win the game because play off places are all still up for grabs. Just keep going for the wins and dont become negative, its worked up to now.

TS I don't think this team has a negative bone in it's collective body.....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 21:19 - Mar 29 with 2449 viewsTalkingSutty

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 21:11 - Mar 29 by MoonyDale

TS I don't think this team has a negative bone in it's collective body.....

Agree, gotta say that Fleetwood were no mugs today and i thought Hulme had a great game, the head injury he suffered a couple of years ago was terrible. They would have beaten most league two teams today but not only do we have the skill we can also battle.Massive point that.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 22:05 - Mar 29 with 2366 viewsBigKindo

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 21:19 - Mar 29 by TalkingSutty

Agree, gotta say that Fleetwood were no mugs today and i thought Hulme had a great game, the head injury he suffered a couple of years ago was terrible. They would have beaten most league two teams today but not only do we have the skill we can also battle.Massive point that.

Would Hume be good enough for Dale?
10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 22:12 - Mar 29 with 2354 viewsTalkingSutty

10 runs required from 7 deliveries on 22:05 - Mar 29 by BigKindo

Would Hume be good enough for Dale?

Every day, he has an edge to him but at this level is quality.
9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 22:44 - Mar 29 with 2294 viewsDaley_Lama

Fleetwood were no mugs but they certainly weren't anything special.

In a home game they basically had to try to win, they soon ran out of ideas other than to hoof it to BIG JOHN PARKIN and that was about it.

Second half I felt very comfortable and could only see one winner and that was us. We had the possession, the opportunities, but the final ball time and time again was lacking.

Tough game yes. Impressed by Fleetwood, not really.

Poll: DF in or out

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 22:50 - Mar 29 with 2282 viewsTalkingSutty

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 22:44 - Mar 29 by Daley_Lama

Fleetwood were no mugs but they certainly weren't anything special.

In a home game they basically had to try to win, they soon ran out of ideas other than to hoof it to BIG JOHN PARKIN and that was about it.

Second half I felt very comfortable and could only see one winner and that was us. We had the possession, the opportunities, but the final ball time and time again was lacking.

Tough game yes. Impressed by Fleetwood, not really.

I though first half they could have been a couple of goals in front, was relieved to go in all square. Second half we played better. All in all a fair result.
9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 23:00 - Mar 29 with 2271 viewsDaley_Lama

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 22:50 - Mar 29 by TalkingSutty

I though first half they could have been a couple of goals in front, was relieved to go in all square. Second half we played better. All in all a fair result.

Fair result agreed, however we had chances too, especially Hendo v their keeper.

I simply expected more drive and ambition in the last 30 mins from them, as it was they who needed to force the issue.

Poll: DF in or out

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 23:09 - Mar 29 with 2257 viewsTalkingSutty

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 23:00 - Mar 29 by Daley_Lama

Fair result agreed, however we had chances too, especially Hendo v their keeper.

I simply expected more drive and ambition in the last 30 mins from them, as it was they who needed to force the issue.

Looking back they didn't put us under a sustained period of pressure near the end which you would have expected. Maybe the recent glut of fixtures as caught up with everybody today because it seemed to be a struggle for the league in general when you look at the results.

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 12:03 - Mar 30 with 2124 viewsrobbowood

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 23:09 - Mar 29 by TalkingSutty

Looking back they didn't put us under a sustained period of pressure near the end which you would have expected. Maybe the recent glut of fixtures as caught up with everybody today because it seemed to be a struggle for the league in general when you look at the results.

It's going to be a battle of the fittest in the remaining fixtures and which teams have the best squads to overcome injuries and suspensions

We have nothing to fear from any team in the division in regard to the above
9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 12:17 - Mar 30 with 2092 viewsDale23years

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 12:03 - Mar 30 by robbowood

It's going to be a battle of the fittest in the remaining fixtures and which teams have the best squads to overcome injuries and suspensions

We have nothing to fear from any team in the division in regard to the above

We ve got a manager who been promoted from this division before, so we have advantage in that area. There isn't a team in this division who can touch us fitness wise , hopefully hogan be next week.

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 13:19 - Mar 30 with 2042 viewsYadHoDale

9 runs required from 6 deliveries on 12:17 - Mar 30 by Dale23years

We ve got a manager who been promoted from this division before, so we have advantage in that area. There isn't a team in this division who can touch us fitness wise , hopefully hogan be next week.

14 players got a run-out at Fleetwood. Hogan and O'Connell probably would have done if fit enough.

Ignoring all the above, we could pick:
Thomson
O'Connor - Eastham - BBM - Tanser
Logan - Hery - Camps - Porter
Cummins - Gray

Which isn't the worst team in the world by a long chalk!
8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 17:41 - Apr 5 with 1758 viewsRAFCBLUE

8 points (3 wins, 2 wins & 2 draws) required

18 goals required
9 goals still to concede

Playoff place secured.

MOTM: The fans - got behind everyone.

Earliest game promotion can be secured: Bristol (a)

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 17:43 - Apr 5 with 1743 viewsmacro

0-0 was the predictable result today with both teams defensive records
8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 21:31 - Apr 5 with 1575 viewsdaz

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 17:41 - Apr 5 by RAFCBLUE

8 points (3 wins, 2 wins & 2 draws) required

18 goals required
9 goals still to concede

Playoff place secured.

MOTM: The fans - got behind everyone.

Earliest game promotion can be secured: Bristol (a)

Surely promotion can be achieved against Southend on Good Friday, or with other results on Easter Saturday. Who cares though, just keep going as we are and everything will be fine!
8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 19:27 - Apr 6 with 1390 viewsaleanddale

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 21:31 - Apr 5 by daz

Surely promotion can be achieved against Southend on Good Friday, or with other results on Easter Saturday. Who cares though, just keep going as we are and everything will be fine!

We need a win at Mansfield.

I really hope we go for it.

That and a rousing Good Friday performance puts us on the verge of a really special achievement this season.
8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 20:40 - Apr 6 with 1316 viewsTVOS1907

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 19:27 - Apr 6 by aleanddale

We need a win at Mansfield.

I really hope we go for it.

That and a rousing Good Friday performance puts us on the verge of a really special achievement this season.

Why wouldn't we go for it?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 07:33 - Apr 8 with 1164 viewsaleanddale

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 20:40 - Apr 6 by TVOS1907

Why wouldn't we go for it?

I know we will.

What i meant was as a supporter its always great to see us on the front foot trying to score the 4th having conceded 1 rather than a superb defensive / tactical performance nicking a 0-1 and then not letting the opposition have a kick.

Both the same outcome of course and the purist on here and Hilly certainly know more than me but could a different formation have given us a better chance at Home last Saturday?

Playing one way and gaining a 0-0 eight times from 10

or

Playing another and gaining 8 wins with possibly 2 loses.

Only my opinion - I hope we roll the dice.
8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 08:28 - Apr 8 with 1126 viewsTalkingSutty

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 07:33 - Apr 8 by aleanddale

I know we will.

What i meant was as a supporter its always great to see us on the front foot trying to score the 4th having conceded 1 rather than a superb defensive / tactical performance nicking a 0-1 and then not letting the opposition have a kick.

Both the same outcome of course and the purist on here and Hilly certainly know more than me but could a different formation have given us a better chance at Home last Saturday?

Playing one way and gaining a 0-0 eight times from 10

or

Playing another and gaining 8 wins with possibly 2 loses.

Only my opinion - I hope we roll the dice.

I know what you are getting at. There are bound to be a few nerves around during the last 5 games and although we are quite capable of grinding out one nil wins those tactics always leave you open to conceding a fluke goal/dodgy penalty etc. Then all of a sudden you are chasing the game.

The amount of goals we have scored this season shows where our strength lies and with Hogan returning back from injury, going for the game and letting the opposition worry about us seems the way forward. I think that's a easier style of play than nervously trying to defend.

To be honest I think this is how we have played over the course of the season, I just hope now the finishing line is in sight we burst through the tape rather than trying to go through it in a cautious manner, we are better than that.

Focus the players mind set on winning the league rather than gaining promotion, we wont have a better chance!!

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 11:26 - Apr 8 with 1034 viewsD_Alien

8 runs required from 5 deliveries on 08:28 - Apr 8 by TalkingSutty

I know what you are getting at. There are bound to be a few nerves around during the last 5 games and although we are quite capable of grinding out one nil wins those tactics always leave you open to conceding a fluke goal/dodgy penalty etc. Then all of a sudden you are chasing the game.

The amount of goals we have scored this season shows where our strength lies and with Hogan returning back from injury, going for the game and letting the opposition worry about us seems the way forward. I think that's a easier style of play than nervously trying to defend.

To be honest I think this is how we have played over the course of the season, I just hope now the finishing line is in sight we burst through the tape rather than trying to go through it in a cautious manner, we are better than that.

Focus the players mind set on winning the league rather than gaining promotion, we wont have a better chance!!

It may come down to goal difference - or even goals scored!

That's how things stand at the moment. There's going to be a lot of water flowing under the bridges of the next five games - and to continue the metaphor, it's very much cross each bridge as we come to it.

But as you say, the way Hilly has set us up this season has put us where we are, with our noses in front. Hogan returning is massive. We hardly suffered during his spell out injured but now he's back refreshed and hopefully firing on all cylinders.

The only change I'd like to see is, if we get to 3-0 say midway through the second half, not easing up as we seem to have done at that point. Understandable in that there's no point draining the players chasing a 4th when the points are in the bag - but maybe bring on fresh legs and just keep going for it now, with the finishing line in sight and no regrets at missing out by a nose!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024