Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Awards Evening 19:31 - Mar 31 with 3782 viewsGhanaDale

A week before the last game of the season, if there's a lot riding on the Newport game the atmosphere at the awards evening will be a bit weird.

Surely having it the week after would be a better idea?

www.facebook.com/projectaura

Awards Evening on 19:54 - Mar 31 with 3728 viewssandylaner1

Noticed today that scunnys is 3rd may
Awards Evening on 20:08 - Mar 31 with 3686 views100569

Traditionally after the last home game of the season. Needless to say the players will all disappear after the awards ceremony itself.
Awards Evening on 21:21 - Mar 31 with 3573 viewsTalkingSutty

Awards Evening on 20:08 - Mar 31 by 100569

Traditionally after the last home game of the season. Needless to say the players will all disappear after the awards ceremony itself.

No matter when the ceremony is the majority of the players quickly disappear after the awards are presented. If I remember rightly last year, some of the award winners had already gone and were not available to pick up their trophy.

Its not a great situation for the players having just played a game and having to sit around for hours and make small talk with fans who invariably will all make the same comments. I often think there can be a uncomfortable atmosphere at these events and i feel sorry for the players who seem to have to endure these occasions through gritted teeth. Most of them are young lads who have better things to do on Saturday nights.

As supporters we get a few beers down our neck and then start waffling to players and management, I did it last year to Rhys Bennett who was sitting with his stunning girlfriend at the time, why the hell would they want me, a total stranger invading their personal space? Anyway they didn't make me feel welcome.

Its worth a ticket to witness some of the brown nosing that goes on though, fans who have called players fit to burn are suddenly their number one supporter and if I remember rightly last years live band were excellent.
Awards Evening on 21:26 - Mar 31 with 3558 viewsTVOS1907

Awards Evening on 21:21 - Mar 31 by TalkingSutty

No matter when the ceremony is the majority of the players quickly disappear after the awards are presented. If I remember rightly last year, some of the award winners had already gone and were not available to pick up their trophy.

Its not a great situation for the players having just played a game and having to sit around for hours and make small talk with fans who invariably will all make the same comments. I often think there can be a uncomfortable atmosphere at these events and i feel sorry for the players who seem to have to endure these occasions through gritted teeth. Most of them are young lads who have better things to do on Saturday nights.

As supporters we get a few beers down our neck and then start waffling to players and management, I did it last year to Rhys Bennett who was sitting with his stunning girlfriend at the time, why the hell would they want me, a total stranger invading their personal space? Anyway they didn't make me feel welcome.

Its worth a ticket to witness some of the brown nosing that goes on though, fans who have called players fit to burn are suddenly their number one supporter and if I remember rightly last years live band were excellent.

Yeah, but just think, if the players won't talk to you, roccy will be around somewhere to fill the void.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Awards Evening on 21:28 - Mar 31 with 3552 viewsTalkingSutty

Awards Evening on 21:26 - Mar 31 by TVOS1907

Yeah, but just think, if the players won't talk to you, roccy will be around somewhere to fill the void.

Only if he could cadge a lift.
Awards Evening on 21:28 - Mar 31 with 3550 views442Dale

I remember at one do that Paul Jones ( briefly at Dale in 88-89) asked which way I preferred to put penalties after collecting a trophy for winning a Junior Dale shootout.

I know how Rhys Bennett felt.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Awards Evening on 21:32 - Mar 31 with 3529 viewsTVOS1907

Awards Evening on 21:28 - Mar 31 by TalkingSutty

Only if he could cadge a lift.

There, back or both?

Awards Evening on 21:33 - Mar 31 with 3523 viewsTVOS1907

Awards Evening on 21:28 - Mar 31 by 442Dale

I remember at one do that Paul Jones ( briefly at Dale in 88-89) asked which way I preferred to put penalties after collecting a trophy for winning a Junior Dale shootout.

I know how Rhys Bennett felt.

You could take all 5 in a shoot-out and be counted as 5 different players!

Login to get fewer ads

Awards Evening on 21:35 - Mar 31 with 3506 viewsTalkingSutty

Awards Evening on 21:32 - Mar 31 by TVOS1907

There, back or both?

Both and he would probably want a chippy supper thrown in on the way back to the Exchange for last orders.
Awards Evening on 22:38 - Mar 31 with 3399 viewsD_Alien

Thanks for that perfect summing up of why I wouldn't be seen dead at one of these events.

The very idea makes me shudder, and if I were a footballer I'd be feigning injury to avoid it like the plague.

[Post edited 31 Mar 2014 22:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Awards Evening on 23:20 - Mar 31 with 3336 viewsdingdangblue

Awards Evening on 22:38 - Mar 31 by D_Alien

Thanks for that perfect summing up of why I wouldn't be seen dead at one of these events.

The very idea makes me shudder, and if I were a footballer I'd be feigning injury to avoid it like the plague.

[Post edited 31 Mar 2014 22:49]

I've only ever been to one in recent years - the promotion one and it was an excellent night to be honest. Craig Dawson was a perfect gentleman despite being pestered all night for photos and autographs and lots of players ended up in town afterwards partying with the fans. Its only one night of their lives to give up at the end of the day. I suppose winning promotion or the league title will enhance the mood greatly.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Awards Evening on 04:52 - Apr 1 with 3253 viewsTalkingSutty

Awards Evening on 23:20 - Mar 31 by dingdangblue

I've only ever been to one in recent years - the promotion one and it was an excellent night to be honest. Craig Dawson was a perfect gentleman despite being pestered all night for photos and autographs and lots of players ended up in town afterwards partying with the fans. Its only one night of their lives to give up at the end of the day. I suppose winning promotion or the league title will enhance the mood greatly.

I believe monies raised on the night go to the Joe Thompson charity/cause so that in itself is a good reason to support the event.
Awards Evening on 10:43 - Apr 1 with 3118 viewsRibbleblue

I for one won't be going again after last year.At least Rhys Bennett had the good grace to smile and look at my daughter when she asked him to sign her team photo.More than Keith HIll.He pulled his face,didn't even look at my daughter and could barely be managed to sign.Great Manager.Rude man.
Awards Evening on 10:59 - Apr 1 with 3099 viewsD_Alien

Awards Evening on 23:20 - Mar 31 by dingdangblue

No less than I'd expect really - I guess it's all part of being a professional footballer - but still I expect many of the players tolerate it rather than welcome it, and that's not something I'd ever want someone to feel.

As for the proceeds from the event going to a good cause, great!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Awards Evening on 12:49 - Apr 1 with 3003 viewsYouTubeDale

I will watching which player leaves last.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Awards Evening on 13:00 - Apr 1 with 2995 viewsG_Dale

I've only been to one and it was the promotion season. The managers and all the players were great. If we'd of finished mid table I would imagine it being a bit crap though. Reg Jenkins and the other ex players were really nice too. I remember ending up in town with dagnall and ogrady. Good night

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

Awards Evening on 13:41 - Apr 1 with 2952 viewsColDale

Awards Evening on 10:43 - Apr 1 by Ribbleblue

I for one won't be going again after last year.At least Rhys Bennett had the good grace to smile and look at my daughter when she asked him to sign her team photo.More than Keith HIll.He pulled his face,didn't even look at my daughter and could barely be managed to sign.Great Manager.Rude man.

There were mitigating circumstances last year why he wasn't full of the joys of spring.

Few other bits and bobs
The PA has been sorted in the Dale Bar so all the sound issues of last year should be resolved. People have been out and done the necessary repairs.

Have to say that whilst I've never been one to speak to the players, the interactions between supporters and players on Twitter would suggest a much happier camp all round. I've been assured that they will be there at least until the close of the awards ceremony. Many as always will choose to stay for the duration of the night - I think JK was the last person to leave the Dale Bar last year.
Awards Evening on 14:00 - Apr 1 with 2918 viewsRibbleblue

Awards Evening on 13:41 - Apr 1 by ColDale

There were mitigating circumstances last year why he wasn't full of the joys of spring.

Few other bits and bobs
The PA has been sorted in the Dale Bar so all the sound issues of last year should be resolved. People have been out and done the necessary repairs.

Have to say that whilst I've never been one to speak to the players, the interactions between supporters and players on Twitter would suggest a much happier camp all round. I've been assured that they will be there at least until the close of the awards ceremony. Many as always will choose to stay for the duration of the night - I think JK was the last person to leave the Dale Bar last year.

Couldn't fault Jason Kennedy last year,very polite and approachable.And if there were mitigating circumstances I will stop holding a grudge.
Awards Evening on 17:47 - Apr 1 with 2792 viewsYouTubeDale

Awards Evening on 13:41 - Apr 1 by ColDale

Few other bits and bobs

Yes, that is was I was driving at...those players that leave last leave.

Will the other screens be in use to watch any footage? It's difficult to see the big screen behind a load of people. Also, will presenters/receivers of awards be encouraged to use some raised stage where we can all see them?

Improvements, improvement,improvements.

Awards Evening on 17:53 - Apr 1 with 2783 viewsColDale

Awards Evening on 17:47 - Apr 1 by YouTubeDale

Yes, that is was I was driving at...those players that leave last leave.

Will the other screens be in use to watch any footage? It's difficult to see the big screen behind a load of people. Also, will presenters/receivers of awards be encouraged to use some raised stage where we can all see them?

Improvements, improvement,improvements.

As it stands, we can't use the other screens as they are on a separate loop to the main TV. But got a plan in place that might sort that out - will let people know if I can. The stage is something we're looking at to.

The justified criticisms of last year were that people couldn't see or hear anything. We're halfway to sorting that this time round, and will hopefully get the lot sorted.

I might even get the year right on the programmes and posters this year too :-)
Awards Evening on 18:21 - Apr 1 with 2751 viewschuckleberry

Could I request more seating?

For the older attendees (not me) the only seats were at the back of the room and the view was crap. If there were more seats/ tables nearer the front the view would be better for all.

As a short arse I saw very little last year and I was stood near the front.
Awards Evening on 17:40 - Apr 23 with 2427 viewsYouTubeDale

Is there a definite date for this yet? I haven't heard anything. Or I may just be blind.

Awards Evening on 17:43 - Apr 23 with 2416 viewsisitme

Awards Evening on 17:40 - Apr 23 by YouTubeDale

Is there a definite date for this yet? I haven't heard anything. Or I may just be blind.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/poyevent-2014-update-1473350.aspx
Awards Evening on 17:44 - Apr 23 with 2411 viewsYouTubeDale

Awards Evening on 17:43 - Apr 23 by isitme

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/poyevent-2014-update-1473350.aspx

Thanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024