Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got back 19:30 - Apr 21 with 3407 viewswimborne_dale

We so needed that! I agree with Mooney Dale. We were the better team for most of the game. 2 - 1 doesn't do us justice, it should have been 3 or 4. Rovers' 1st half goal was dubious. One Dale supporter I spoke to afterwards said he was dead level with it and he was sure the ball didn't cross the line. From where I was standing I was surprised when the ref gave the goal. But not really surprised as when your luck's out.... that's when you loose Peter Vincenti to injury as well. We really didn't deserve to be behind at half time.
If I'm aloud one little niggle, I thought some of our players were guilty of trying to hold onto possession too long at the edge of the box rather than just trying a shot. Nerves perhaps? but when goals have been hard to come by, surely it makes some sense to have a go rather that trying to walk the ball into the net. No names as it wasn't just one.
But a win is a win and I'll take three points gleefully every time.
I don't do marks out of ten but MOTM. Josh Lillis, frankly brilliant!
One funny moment: walking away from the ground, some Dale fans were singing -

We want to stay here,
We want to stay here,
Rochdale's a sh****le,
We want to stay here.

(and Bristol isn't?)
Up The Dale

Edgar Allan's Crow

Just got back on 19:37 - Apr 21 with 3333 viewsDevonDale

I had a great view of their goal - definitely crossed the line. It was actually the linesman that gave it, and he was in a good position to call it right.
Just got back on 19:43 - Apr 21 with 3276 viewsYouTubeDale

The ball did cross the line. I had a perfect view right down the line. The ball hit the post then went along the line. Bennett seemed an age to get his foot on it, another player would have reacted faster. But just as it went over the line he dragged it back. Too late Ethel !!

Oh, and the ref wasn't far off to make a correct decision.

Did you see what happened?

[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 19:44]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Just got back on 19:59 - Apr 21 with 3158 viewsAtThePeake

Easier to say through ratings I suppose.

Lillis - 7 - Don't think you can blame him for the goal and make a couple of very good saves, particularly one at the end that had seemed to go over him.
Bennett - 7 - Maybe could have done more to stop the goal but got forward really well and was only beaten by his marker once all game from what I remember.
O'Connell - 8 - Didn't let Harrold's obvious aerial quality get the better of him. Probably the second best centre-half I've seen in a Dale shirt.
Lancashire - 7 - Similar to JO'C's performance, pretty solid from both CBs but for them managing to sneak through for the goal.
Rose - 7 - I know I'm not Rose's biggest fan but thought he was solid enough at full-back today, didn't lose the ball as often as usual and similarly to Bennett got forward well.
Hery - 9 - Tremendous performance from him today. Where's he been all season? Was part of every move and showed some uber-silky skills.
Allen - 7 - Energetic performance, both him and Lund looked fresher and fitter than O'Toole and co, possibly for having an extra day's rest. The pair of them controlled the midfield well.
Lund - 7 - See Allen. Got on the score-sheet too of course.
Henderson - 7 - Looked more like himself. Got the assist, and got the better of their full-back for the majority of the game
Vincenti - 6 - Wasn't on for very long. Could tell he was gutted to come off though.
Donnelly - 6 - Worked really hard and did create space for others but unfortunately the guy has neither the brain nor the finishing ability to fit in with this side.

Bunney - 7 - Grabbed his goal and saw a lot of the ball, his movement was excellent. Missed a really good chance in the first half though and a couple of times lingered on the ball for slightly too long in the second half.
Cummins - 6 - Similarly to Donnelly, worked hard and created some space for others.
McGinty was only on for injury time, not sure he even touched the ball.

The feeling at the end of the game while celebrating with all the players was a fantastic feeling. The hope and the positivity is back. We can do this. Keep believing.

Oh and Keith Hill wears FANTASTIC pants.

Tangled up in blue.

Just got back on 20:02 - Apr 21 with 3123 views442Dale

Out of interest, who played the defensive midfield role? Would have thought Lund, but getting forward so far for his goal might indicate otherwise.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just got back on 20:08 - Apr 21 with 3056 viewsYouTubeDale

When Lund scored, there was a delayed reaction from the Dale crowd. We were looking at the linesman to see if he called it offside. No flag. Pandemonium.

Was it offside?

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Just got back on 20:12 - Apr 21 with 3012 viewsSaxonDale

Just got back on 20:02 - Apr 21 by 442Dale

Out of interest, who played the defensive midfield role? Would have thought Lund, but getting forward so far for his goal might indicate otherwise.

Lund played the defensive role, Lund was still up from the previous corner, with Allen covering defensively during set pieces.
Just got back on 20:19 - Apr 21 with 2962 viewsR17ALE

Just got back on 20:08 - Apr 21 by YouTubeDale

When Lund scored, there was a delayed reaction from the Dale crowd. We were looking at the linesman to see if he called it offside. No flag. Pandemonium.

Was it offside?

No.

The goal came when Rose put in an awful low cross which somehow evaded everybody. Donnelly tried to get a foot on it and failed meaning the ball continued to trickle towards going out for a goal kick until Lund finally turned it in at the far post. Rose's cross took so long to get to the far post Lund may have been outside the box when the cross was hit over.

Their goal definitely crossed the line. Bennett should have put his foot on top of the ball and rolled it back with his studs. Unfortunately, he chose to try and steer it clear with his instep. Technically, it was probably an own goal.

Bunney's goal was assisted by Donnelly. Whether by design or fluke I don't know!

Hery MOM by a mile. One of his mazy runs had me liken him to a French McCourt! Very Gallic in his style of play, very skilful indeed.

Bunney had his best game for some time too.

Rovers were shite, I mean really shite. Harrold is the only one who could get into our squad - he's wasted at Rovers.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Just got back on 20:22 - Apr 21 with 2900 viewsrichfoad32

Agree with most of the OP, we were by far the better side, Rovers offered very little other than the big hoof forward to lanky Prince Harry-alike, Matt Harrold. Their goal was definitely over the line though. I like Bristol as well, a great city not a shithole. Will be happy to go back next season, hopefully to see us play City though.

I was feeling a bit sorry for Rovers before the game, much as I wanted the win I didn't like to think of us maybe putting another nail in the coffin towards their demise from the league. That was before they scored though, at which point a lot of their fans in the stand next to us seemed to take more delight in giving our supporters the finger than celebrating the goal. Sod em.
Login to get fewer ads

Just got back on 20:48 - Apr 21 with 2740 viewswmgunit

Lillis - 8 - Couple of excellent saves to seal the win. Distribution very good again.
Bennett - 8 - Maybe suspect for the goal, but very composed and imposing otherwise. Got forward well and unlucky not to score with a header.
Rose - 7 - Solid. Decent cross for the Bennett headed chance. Knew when to just get rid when under pressure in the final 10.
O'Connell - 8 - Very composed and good positional sense. Will be disappointed with the goal, but handled the pressure well generally.
Lancashire - 7 - Some good defensive headers under pressure at the end.
Vincenti - 7 - Looked lively before being subbed for a head injury. It was the right call to make by Hill with the player having being down for so long, even though Peter didn't want to come off it was in his best interests to. Other managers may have thought he should just 'get on with it'
Allen - 8 - Such good positional know-how for a young player. Orchestrated subtly from the middle.
Lund - 7 - Dependable as ever and grabbed another goal. Less noticeable than usual as he sat back in a more defensive role.
Hery - 9 - Grew into the game to have a man of the match performance. Nice flair moves coupled with the right decision making and not afraid to put in a tackle either. Big call to put him in the line up and he answered it.
Henderson - 7 - Didn't get into the game early on until a cracking effort of his hit the bar. Usual excellent control with the ball at his feet.
Donnelly - 6 - Hassled the defence.

Bunney - 7 - Great finish for the goal and put them under pressure running at them with the ball at his feet.
Cummins - 6 - See Donnelly.
McGinty - 6 - Not sure he touched the ball.

Hill - 9 - Lots of bold calls with the starting line up and during the game. Always seemed patient and confident in the team even at 0-1 down at half time. Faith was repaid with a fantastic second half performance. Not that we deserved to be going in a goal down at half time even.
Just got back on 20:59 - Apr 21 with 2640 viewsD_Alien

Just got back on 20:19 - Apr 21 by R17ALE

No.

The goal came when Rose put in an awful low cross which somehow evaded everybody. Donnelly tried to get a foot on it and failed meaning the ball continued to trickle towards going out for a goal kick until Lund finally turned it in at the far post. Rose's cross took so long to get to the far post Lund may have been outside the box when the cross was hit over.

Their goal definitely crossed the line. Bennett should have put his foot on top of the ball and rolled it back with his studs. Unfortunately, he chose to try and steer it clear with his instep. Technically, it was probably an own goal.

Bunney's goal was assisted by Donnelly. Whether by design or fluke I don't know!

Hery MOM by a mile. One of his mazy runs had me liken him to a French McCourt! Very Gallic in his style of play, very skilful indeed.

Bunney had his best game for some time too.

Rovers were shite, I mean really shite. Harrold is the only one who could get into our squad - he's wasted at Rovers.

I thought Donnelly deliberately allowed the ball to run on for Lund to finish. Can't be sure though - can't be sure of anything with Georgie - but if he did sell a dummy it's the most intelligent thing he's ever done at the Dale!
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 21:05]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just got back on 21:04 - Apr 21 with 2581 viewsDale_Mike

Just got back on 20:59 - Apr 21 by D_Alien

I thought Donnelly deliberately allowed the ball to run on for Lund to finish. Can't be sure though - can't be sure of anything with Georgie - but if he did sell a dummy it's the most intelligent thing he's ever done at the Dale!
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 21:05]

It looked to me like he attempted a clever back heel similar to the goal Fabian Delph scored for Villa earlier this season, didn't connect and it ended up looking like a dummy to Lund. Apologies in advance if this is doing you a disservice George, you did a good job overall today - the energy was back.
Just got back on 21:32 - Apr 21 with 2453 viewsNigeriamark

thoroughly enjoyed the first 80 minutes against a poor team Never understand why teams then sit back and try to play out the game. While we were attacking they were totally our of it. Last 10mins and any shot, deflection etc can go in and was starting to sweat a bit

Anyway we got the 3 points and hopefully over the Good Friday performance

BTW - their goal definitely crossed the line and in my opinion GD's dummy for the second goal was not intentional but will wait to see the goal tonight
Just got back on 21:42 - Apr 21 with 2393 viewsDale_Mike

Just got back on 21:32 - Apr 21 by Nigeriamark

thoroughly enjoyed the first 80 minutes against a poor team Never understand why teams then sit back and try to play out the game. While we were attacking they were totally our of it. Last 10mins and any shot, deflection etc can go in and was starting to sweat a bit

BTW - their goal definitely crossed the line and in my opinion GD's dummy for the second goal was not intentional but will wait to see the goal tonight

Yes it ended up being a little bit nervy towards the end. We were attacking at will but then just seemed to shut up shop which invited the opposition on to us. No problem if you have a 2 goal + cushion but if Lillis hadn't pulled off that fantastic save from the flicked header it could have ended 2-2 which would have been totally unjust.

Not having a winge as Hill really earned his corn today with the team selection and tactics etc. Plus the players deserve a huge amount of credit and showed real character and grit to come back from 1-0 down given recent events and possible confidence issues.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 22:54]
Just got back on 16:26 - Apr 22 with 2069 viewswimborne_dale

Just got back on 21:32 - Apr 21 by Nigeriamark

Didn't think BR were that poor. They looked like they could snatch a 2nd at various times (though Dale fully deserved the 3 pts) and I was relieved to hear the final whistle.
Looking forward to Saturday. I don't get to see The Dale that often but when I do, I feel like a kid of 10. (in case you were wondering I'm 51).

Edgar Allan's Crow

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024