Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread 19:20 - Jul 22 with 15770 viewsrafc1984

Dale

Diba
Bennett
Eastham
McGinty
Done
Rose
Vincenti
Hery
Cannon
Camps
Bunney

Subs

Collis
BBM
Allen
Rafferty
Lancashire
Donnelly
Lund
Tanser
Logan
Hendo
Trialist 1
Trialist 2
[Post edited 22 Jul 2014 19:22]
Match thread on 00:32 - Jul 23 with 3243 viewsmacro

Match thread on 23:37 - Jul 22 by olympicdale

Funny how people see games differently, I thought Rose was one of the better players, his crosses were generally good, but we either didn't jump for them, or anticipate them, it cant always be the crossers fault, i also thought he retained possession well. Unless we sign someone up front we will struggle big time though, Hendo is always a big loss, and we need to have someone feeding off him, I am eager to see Muldoon, and how he slots in. Camps had a generally quiet night, Cannon was almost anonymous, and Hery bossed the midfield. All in all a good work out for the young lads, a word on Diba, really impressed with his confidence in tight situations, coming out playing the sweeper role on more than one occasion too, very positive.for such a young age.

I thought cannon was excellent
Match thread on 01:38 - Jul 23 with 3164 viewsolympicdale

Match thread on 00:32 - Jul 23 by macro

I thought cannon was excellent

I'm not saying he was terrible, but I thought he was sluggish in possesion and got pushed off the ball too easily, his first touch was a bit too heavy.

Life is a game of fate.

Match thread on 05:22 - Jul 23 with 3114 viewsChaffRAFC

Cannon was superb last night and only bettered by Bastien Hery for us. He's not scared of a tackle and he ran at full pelt nearly all game. Very impressive.

I actually thought Michael Rose did fairly well. His crossing was good overall but the problem was that he's basically aiming for one man among five or six opposition and that one man, Joe Bunney, doesn't attack the ball well enough. Rose is putting the ball in good areas but I don't think Bunney was doing enough to try and get on the end of them.

Good performance from Dale but we are severely lacking a goalscorer which we all knew anyway. Calvin Andrew came on and did ok, he was a handful. His goal scoring record is atrocious and he's hsd more clubs than Tiger Woods but we said that about Chris O'Grady and this guy even looks and runs like O'Grady! Fairly sure he'd be worth another couple of weeks trial had we been a League 2 side still but we aren't so back to the drawing board for Hill.

Anyone any idea who the unused trialist was?

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Match thread on 07:15 - Jul 23 with 3025 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread on 01:38 - Jul 23 by olympicdale

I'm not saying he was terrible, but I thought he was sluggish in possesion and got pushed off the ball too easily, his first touch was a bit too heavy.

Cannon and Hery were our best performers.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread on 07:44 - Jul 23 with 2985 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread on 05:22 - Jul 23 by ChaffRAFC

Cannon was superb last night and only bettered by Bastien Hery for us. He's not scared of a tackle and he ran at full pelt nearly all game. Very impressive.

I actually thought Michael Rose did fairly well. His crossing was good overall but the problem was that he's basically aiming for one man among five or six opposition and that one man, Joe Bunney, doesn't attack the ball well enough. Rose is putting the ball in good areas but I don't think Bunney was doing enough to try and get on the end of them.

Good performance from Dale but we are severely lacking a goalscorer which we all knew anyway. Calvin Andrew came on and did ok, he was a handful. His goal scoring record is atrocious and he's hsd more clubs than Tiger Woods but we said that about Chris O'Grady and this guy even looks and runs like O'Grady! Fairly sure he'd be worth another couple of weeks trial had we been a League 2 side still but we aren't so back to the drawing board for Hill.

Anyone any idea who the unused trialist was?

Having seen all 4 friendlies to date the shining light has been Bastien Hery in every game. I prefer seeing him in a more offensive midfield role though, he offers more.
Its very obvious we are lacking in the final third and as good as Camps, Cannon, Bunny are for their age they aren't ready for league one yet.
We owe it to players like Henderson and Lund to bring in a few quality players to help them otherwise playing in a struggling team will quickly affect their own performance.
Its only just over 2 weeks before the season starts and its time to bring some hunger and aggression into the remaining friendlies and introduce some new faces. There seems to be a atmosphere of just going with what we know and thinking the kids are all going to suddenly blossom in league one which i don't see happening.
We need 3 possibly 4 proven signings because our current strongest starting eleven isn't good enough for league one.
Match thread on 08:25 - Jul 23 with 2899 viewsTommoRAFC

Match thread on 00:25 - Jul 23 by stomper

"then we dropped the tempo of pressing which Hill was going ballistic about."

Tell you that did he?

Not personally no, but being sat behind the bench you can't help but hear the management screaming at the players to carry on pressing...

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

Match thread on 08:40 - Jul 23 with 2867 viewsSwissdale

Match thread on 07:44 - Jul 23 by TalkingSutty

Having seen all 4 friendlies to date the shining light has been Bastien Hery in every game. I prefer seeing him in a more offensive midfield role though, he offers more.
Its very obvious we are lacking in the final third and as good as Camps, Cannon, Bunny are for their age they aren't ready for league one yet.
We owe it to players like Henderson and Lund to bring in a few quality players to help them otherwise playing in a struggling team will quickly affect their own performance.
Its only just over 2 weeks before the season starts and its time to bring some hunger and aggression into the remaining friendlies and introduce some new faces. There seems to be a atmosphere of just going with what we know and thinking the kids are all going to suddenly blossom in league one which i don't see happening.
We need 3 possibly 4 proven signings because our current strongest starting eleven isn't good enough for league one.

Last season there were 4 players in the centre of the team that really performed well week after week; Lillis, O'Connell, Lund & Hogan.

I think we need a striker and a centre half to replace the aforementioned two. More than happy with the midfield and keeper, so think to say we need 4 signings is a bit strong. I'm sure Keith is working on it, Hogan's deal was only confirmed on Monday so give him time.

Edit - has O'Connell featured in many of Rovers friendlies?
[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 8:51]
Match thread on 09:09 - Jul 23 with 2793 viewsfitzochris

Match thread on 07:44 - Jul 23 by TalkingSutty

Again, going off what my chums tell me, sight unseen, it is still difficult to fathom what Hill is looking to do this coming season. I think he did mention that this would be the case up until the Middlesborough game though.

Besides, since the World Cup, it seems every team is having a go at the 3-4-3, 3-5-2 formation during their pre-season.

My chums echo what has been said on here overall, that as exciting a prospect as Camps et all are, we need reinforcements.

We're not worried though, as Hill has said outright he has the budget for this and fully intends to sort it.

So, for just now, it's good to see our academy produts on show enjoying "men's football".

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread on 10:26 - Jul 23 with 2637 viewsParkinsGimp

I didnt go last night I was working late, so cannot comment on individual performances, but now I am starting to doubt some of the hype. I know for a fact that Rose cannot compete at League One level, he just isnt good enough, yeah great shot but come on we need much more from a player. Vincente isnt as good as people make him out, he is easily taken out of the game, he must improse himself more( this is positive critism before the spanners start) I really hope he pushes on and provides the quality we need.
The young lads need more time and I am not sure they will get it in a competitive game.
McGinty is the big worry for me, we seem to hanging our hopes on this guy. My blades mate is laughing his socks off and cant wait till Sept to get at him.
I suppose we are still looking at what we have before we splash the cash so to speak. I have heard really good things about Muldoon , but its a big step up for the lad , when hes fit.
Lets see how we do against Middlesboro.
Match thread on 11:00 - Jul 23 with 2561 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread on 10:26 - Jul 23 by ParkinsGimp

I didnt go last night I was working late, so cannot comment on individual performances, but now I am starting to doubt some of the hype. I know for a fact that Rose cannot compete at League One level, he just isnt good enough, yeah great shot but come on we need much more from a player. Vincente isnt as good as people make him out, he is easily taken out of the game, he must improse himself more( this is positive critism before the spanners start) I really hope he pushes on and provides the quality we need.
The young lads need more time and I am not sure they will get it in a competitive game.
McGinty is the big worry for me, we seem to hanging our hopes on this guy. My blades mate is laughing his socks off and cant wait till Sept to get at him.
I suppose we are still looking at what we have before we splash the cash so to speak. I have heard really good things about Muldoon , but its a big step up for the lad , when hes fit.
Lets see how we do against Middlesboro.

Can't argue with any of that and McGinty looks inferior to all other defenders we have at the club, don't see one aspect of the game that he might excel at. Calvin Andrews turning up last night was also surprising, why did York not snap him up?

I know we are limited with the wages we can pay but come on, Andrews has proved during his nomadic career that scoring goals is not his thing. Maybe McGinty comes on a cheap salary but we are supposed to be improving what we already have. The two mentioned are taking us backwards. Lets see what the next few days bring.
Match thread on 11:08 - Jul 23 with 2531 viewsfitzochris

Match thread on 11:00 - Jul 23 by TalkingSutty

Can't argue with any of that and McGinty looks inferior to all other defenders we have at the club, don't see one aspect of the game that he might excel at. Calvin Andrews turning up last night was also surprising, why did York not snap him up?

I know we are limited with the wages we can pay but come on, Andrews has proved during his nomadic career that scoring goals is not his thing. Maybe McGinty comes on a cheap salary but we are supposed to be improving what we already have. The two mentioned are taking us backwards. Lets see what the next few days bring.

Who we recruit will depend greatly on how Hilly wants us to play this season.

If it is a type of 3-4-3, then that will require the right personel.

The beauty of the 3-4-3 is that it can be very difficult for other teams to combat, as it can quickly turn into a 5-4-1 when needed.

The difficulty of it is that you need very specific players to make it work. You need rapid wingbacks to cope when not in possession and decent ball players at the back when you are. As a top-level club example, I actually think a Gerrard-type player, as he gets even older, would be good as the central point of a three at the back. Players like that are hard to come by at our level.

Formations, like clothes, fall in and out of fashion.

At the World Cup, Holland and Chile played it (3-4-3) and Colombia did at times too. The Argies started with 3-5-2 but moved back to 4-3-3 after first match.

Football is prone to fads, definitely. Holding midfielders, ‘false number 9s’, one up one off etc…..everybody wants to be viewed as fast-moving and dynamic (except Sam Allardyce).

I'm sure Hilly will go with the formation that best suits both his philosophy and the players at his disposal.

EDIT TO ADD: I think Hilly sums it up best with this quote: "“We had a solid system in the game and sometimes people get transfixed with experiments but it all comes back to 4-4-2.

“The team with the best 11 players will win. It only takes a brilliant bit of skill or ability but if the players work hard then they will win."
[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 11:20]

Match thread on 11:10 - Jul 23 with 2524 viewsYouTubeDale

Freedman very complimentary about our team and approach to the game. We are a side expected to be challenging for promotion to the Championship apparently. Perhaps we will see after today's possible signings.(Don't hold your breath).

With cash in the bank who knows what tricks our great manager can pull off...

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2014/07/22/post-match-freedman-on-boltons-win-at-ro

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Match thread on 11:20 - Jul 23 with 2486 viewsSaxonDale

It is unbelievable how many of our players are being written off before a ball has been kicked in League 1. No wonder Hilly sometimes has a moan.
Match thread on 11:22 - Jul 23 with 2482 viewsfitzochris

Match thread on 11:20 - Jul 23 by SaxonDale

It is unbelievable how many of our players are being written off before a ball has been kicked in League 1. No wonder Hilly sometimes has a moan.

I don't agree with writing anybody off, but I do agree that more players are needed to augment what we already have.

Match thread on 11:23 - Jul 23 with 2479 viewsYouTubeDale

Goals from last night...

[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 11:30]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Match thread on 11:30 - Jul 23 with 2446 viewsSaxonDale

Match thread on 11:22 - Jul 23 by fitzochris

I don't agree with writing anybody off, but I do agree that more players are needed to augment what we already have.

I agree we need more faces and more importantly Hilly does too. I just can't believe that people still write off players due to their footballing CV's/ a few preseason games- Has Hilly's two spells not taught us anything?
Match thread on 11:56 - Jul 23 with 2371 viewsfitzochris

Hilly comments now on Daleplayer. Could some kind-hearted soul let us know what he says?

Match thread on 12:12 - Jul 23 with 2326 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread on 11:30 - Jul 23 by SaxonDale

I agree we need more faces and more importantly Hilly does too. I just can't believe that people still write off players due to their footballing CV's/ a few preseason games- Has Hilly's two spells not taught us anything?

Not writing anybody off just commenting on what i have seen of McGinty in 3 friendlies. He didn't impress but when he plays well i will say so. Saying somebody had a crap game or they don't look up to it is allowed. Its just a footy forum and its best when we don't all agree,its more interesting.
The majority of people think the pop group Kiss are a bag of sh*te but there are some folk out there who actually like them, its just opinions.
Match thread on 12:28 - Jul 23 with 2245 viewsRotherhamDale

Our half youth/reserve team losing 2-0 to a Bolton first team isn't bad at all in my opinion.

Possession with progression.

Match thread on 12:29 - Jul 23 with 2236 viewsD_Alien

Match thread on 12:12 - Jul 23 by TalkingSutty

Not writing anybody off just commenting on what i have seen of McGinty in 3 friendlies. He didn't impress but when he plays well i will say so. Saying somebody had a crap game or they don't look up to it is allowed. Its just a footy forum and its best when we don't all agree,its more interesting.
The majority of people think the pop group Kiss are a bag of sh*te but there are some folk out there who actually like them, its just opinions.

There's gonna be people out there pretty miffed with you describing Kiss as a "pop group"

[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 12:30]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread on 12:33 - Jul 23 with 2215 views442Dale

Match thread on 11:08 - Jul 23 by fitzochris

Who we recruit will depend greatly on how Hilly wants us to play this season.

If it is a type of 3-4-3, then that will require the right personel.

The beauty of the 3-4-3 is that it can be very difficult for other teams to combat, as it can quickly turn into a 5-4-1 when needed.

The difficulty of it is that you need very specific players to make it work. You need rapid wingbacks to cope when not in possession and decent ball players at the back when you are. As a top-level club example, I actually think a Gerrard-type player, as he gets even older, would be good as the central point of a three at the back. Players like that are hard to come by at our level.

Formations, like clothes, fall in and out of fashion.

At the World Cup, Holland and Chile played it (3-4-3) and Colombia did at times too. The Argies started with 3-5-2 but moved back to 4-3-3 after first match.

Football is prone to fads, definitely. Holding midfielders, ‘false number 9s’, one up one off etc…..everybody wants to be viewed as fast-moving and dynamic (except Sam Allardyce).

I'm sure Hilly will go with the formation that best suits both his philosophy and the players at his disposal.

EDIT TO ADD: I think Hilly sums it up best with this quote: "“We had a solid system in the game and sometimes people get transfixed with experiments but it all comes back to 4-4-2.

“The team with the best 11 players will win. It only takes a brilliant bit of skill or ability but if the players work hard then they will win."
[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 11:20]

That Hill comment is an interesting one. Didn't go last night but does it mean we shift to 4-4-2 when required? We did at times revert to that during games last season, especially earlier in the campaign with Hogan playing off Donnelly.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread on 12:33 - Jul 23 with 2215 viewsColDale

Match thread on 11:30 - Jul 23 by SaxonDale

as posted in another thread, this was the feeling this time last year following the sale of our top scorer.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/84055/bobby-grant-----%3E-b

We've got a second string team (9 changes from Saturday), and in all fairness, they passed a strong Championship side off the park last night, and with a bit of heading practice, we could (and should) have had 2 or 3 goals. Whilst we can coulda woulda shoulda all night long, we've still got a striker on the books who we've not even seen play yet, and we know that if Hill needs it, there are funds available.

We might have to wait until the end of August, and then we can pick up the bargains at the end of August (someone like a Craig Davies if he's not catching for Bolton). It's a tactic Hill's used before and will use again.
Match thread on 12:34 - Jul 23 with 2208 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread on 12:29 - Jul 23 by D_Alien

There's gonna be people out there pretty miffed with you describing Kiss as a "pop group"

[Post edited 23 Jul 2014 12:30]

It wasn't done on purpose...honestly . I know nowt about music anyway, having said that I did have a massive crush on Dana when I was a lad !!
Match thread on 12:39 - Jul 23 with 2177 viewsColDale

Match thread on 11:00 - Jul 23 by TalkingSutty

McGinty is a work in progress. He didn't impress against Flyde, and had a shocker against Halifax. But last night showed potential. He's the same age as the likes of Joe Bunney, and for me he should be judged in the same category as that. No one expects Bunney to be playing week in week out, and are rightly forgiving him of him when things don't come off.

We need to be the same with McGinty. He's had absolutely no consistency for the past two years with around half a dozen clubs at least given all his loan spells. He was here on trial, and he must have impressed Hill attitude wise to know that he is someone he can work with, and his track record will show that he brings out the best in his players.

If it takes 12 months for McGinty to become a first team regular, then we should be happy with that. Anything sooner is a bonus.
Match thread on 12:40 - Jul 23 with 2166 views442Dale

Match thread on 12:12 - Jul 23 by TalkingSutty

Good post. As long as a post isn't utter nonsense or abusive, what's wrong with assessing a player on performances so far? I've only seen two friendlies and McGinty didn't play in one of them, but based on the Fylde game there are worries about his distribution and when the ball goes in behind him & he has to turn.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024