Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calvin Andrew signs 11:37 - Jul 25 with 15744 viewsfitzochris

On a two-year deal.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Calvin Andrew signs on 21:46 - Jul 25 with 2958 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Trademark Hilly signing. He's the Manager of a professional football club and I'm not...so I'm looking forward to re-shaping this lad's career with us.
Calvin Andrew signs on 22:49 - Jul 25 with 2847 viewsChaffRAFC

Calvin Andrew signs on 21:46 - Jul 25 by Albert_Whitehurst

Trademark Hilly signing. He's the Manager of a professional football club and I'm not...so I'm looking forward to re-shaping this lad's career with us.

Suffice to say, if Keith Hill can turn this lad into a quality signing that surprises everybody and he's impresses in League One and becomes an integral part of our team, it will be his biggest achievement to date.

It will also be iron clad proof that you can indeed polish a turd.

Time will tell.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Calvin Andrew signs on 23:26 - Jul 25 with 2767 viewsDaley_Lama

Calvin Andrew signs on 22:49 - Jul 25 by ChaffRAFC

Suffice to say, if Keith Hill can turn this lad into a quality signing that surprises everybody and he's impresses in League One and becomes an integral part of our team, it will be his biggest achievement to date.

It will also be iron clad proof that you can indeed polish a turd.

Time will tell.

Disagree Chaff.

Getting Dale promoted was his biggest achievement.

Doing it twice was....

Poll: DF in or out

Calvin Andrew signs on 23:44 - Jul 25 with 2728 viewsboromat

This is a win win signing he fails he proves everyone right he starts performing we'll all be celebrating

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Calvin Andrew signs on 23:49 - Jul 25 with 2714 viewsSwissdale

I hope that Andrew hasn't been signed to play every game. I think he is a plan B striker when we are chasing a game and want to go more direct (showed serious strength on Tuesday night, and won a few headers). Also, he will be useful in the last 5 minutes at defending set pieces (god knows we need all the help we can get in this department).

Having said all that, would he be given the number 9 shirt to be a bit-part player? Real shame we haven't seen Muldoon in preseason, but if he isn't quite yet ready to step up, we definitely need a striker who knows where the net is.
Calvin Andrew signs on 00:03 - Jul 26 with 2688 viewsTVOS1907

Calvin Andrew signs on 23:49 - Jul 25 by Swissdale

I hope that Andrew hasn't been signed to play every game. I think he is a plan B striker when we are chasing a game and want to go more direct (showed serious strength on Tuesday night, and won a few headers). Also, he will be useful in the last 5 minutes at defending set pieces (god knows we need all the help we can get in this department).

Having said all that, would he be given the number 9 shirt to be a bit-part player? Real shame we haven't seen Muldoon in preseason, but if he isn't quite yet ready to step up, we definitely need a striker who knows where the net is.

To be honest, shirt numbers are a bit irrelevant. Henderson is 40 and played all-but one league game last season.

No idea why Donnelly changed to 19, but we had no 9, 10 or 11 this morning, so it made sense for Andrew to have one of them.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Calvin Andrew signs on 08:50 - Jul 26 with 2536 viewsDanny1907

I can only echo your worries and hope for the same (him being a bit part player). I don't like to be overly critical of a new player but to say this signing leaves me feeling underwhelmed is a polite way of putting it. We normally trust Hill with signings but this one isn't going to end well.

If Muldoon isn't the next Hogan then we could be in some serious trouble.
Calvin Andrew signs on 08:53 - Jul 26 with 2535 viewsDanny1907

I can only echo your worries and hope for the same (him being a bit part player). I don't like to be overly critical of a new player but to say this signing leaves me feeling underwhelmed is a polite way of putting it. We normally trust Hill with signings but this one isn't going to end well.

If Muldoon isn't the next Hogan then we could be in some serious trouble.
Login to get fewer ads

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:17 - Jul 26 with 2488 viewsmikehunt

Hmmm. This aspect appears to be one of Keefy's blind spots. Think of Elding, Dickinson and Thingy from Halifax. Calvs missed a sitter with a threepennybit header on Tuesday and to give him 2 years seems a bit premature. But he looks the part and, just maybe, we can get another COG.
Up the Dale!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:30 - Jul 26 with 2465 viewszxcvbnm

Lets hope Andrews doesn't turn into the new boo boy before he's been given a chance!

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:45 - Jul 26 with 2435 views442Dale

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:17 - Jul 26 by mikehunt

Hmmm. This aspect appears to be one of Keefy's blind spots. Think of Elding, Dickinson and Thingy from Halifax. Calvs missed a sitter with a threepennybit header on Tuesday and to give him 2 years seems a bit premature. But he looks the part and, just maybe, we can get another COG.
Up the Dale!

The three players you mention all had pretty good records before we signed them.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:46 - Jul 26 with 2430 viewsnordenblue

Up the Dale!

Didnt do too bad with Hogan
Calvin Andrew signs on 09:48 - Jul 26 with 2421 viewsSalwaDale

Up the Dale!

The important bit, for me anyway, is that the signings of Elding, Dickinson and Shaw did not seem to damage the development of the club. They may not have been the players we hoped but they did not hold us back. Time will tell with Andrew but I'm quite happyand very intrigued.

TBBT

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:58 - Jul 26 with 2396 viewsmikehunt

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:48 - Jul 26 by SalwaDale

The important bit, for me anyway, is that the signings of Elding, Dickinson and Shaw did not seem to damage the development of the club. They may not have been the players we hoped but they did not hold us back. Time will tell with Andrew but I'm quite happyand very intrigued.

Yes. That is the underlying point, Wigan. Despite misgivings and the occasional underperformance from an odd player it doesn't seem to detract too much from the feel good factor of a Hilly side.
Just shows the expectation level Hill has instilled in us.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Calvin Andrew signs on 11:59 - Jul 26 with 2272 viewsYouTubeDale

Yes, he should be a big help in the air for our defence, especially defending corners. He should be good on the counter attack with his pace. Stretching teams just when they don't need it. I can see him bringing others into play. I am sure his work rate will see him through but I fear his finishing will frustrate us. But Hilly can give him confidence to put things right and add value I am sure.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Calvin Andrew signs on 12:04 - Jul 26 with 2269 viewsgavcradd

Vale fan here. Always good to keep track of former players but I have to admit, it was a surprise to see Calvin Andrew sign for you, and especially on a two year deal. It's fair to say he didn't impress for us in League Two, so not sure how he'll handle the step up to League One.

Positives first - he's big and strong, he holds the ball up well and will help out your midfielders. He's got a good attitude and is a real team player. There was talk when he was here about playing him in the middle, or even as a centre half because of his strength.

As a striker though, oh dear. His one goal in 22 starts for us says a lot, but what it doesn't say is that even that one goal came from a deflection off his backside that he claimed. Not sure he even had a clear chance, or a shot saved, never mind a goal. If you expect him to get you goals, this is one turd that will need a hell of a lot of polishing. I can't see him getting more than 5 or 6 even if he plays every game all season.

One popular chant towards the end of his time with us was "if Calvin scores, we're on the pitch"' a humerous nod to the fact that we knew, even before kick off, that he wouldn't be troubling the keeper.

Good luck to him anyway, as I said, he had a great attitude but just didn't cut it in League Two.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/former-valiants-summer-round-up/
Calvin Andrew signs on 12:20 - Jul 26 with 2218 viewsNafelad

Calvin Andrew signs on 11:59 - Jul 26 by YouTubeDale

Yes, he should be a big help in the air for our defence, especially defending corners. He should be good on the counter attack with his pace. Stretching teams just when they don't need it. I can see him bringing others into play. I am sure his work rate will see him through but I fear his finishing will frustrate us. But Hilly can give him confidence to put things right and add value I am sure.

With the exception of being 'big help in the air for our defence', this description of what Calvin might add to benefit the team, matches George's contribution as well.

Topcat

Calvin Andrew signs on 12:55 - Jul 26 with 2135 viewsJumeirahDale

Calvin Andrew signs on 12:04 - Jul 26 by gavcradd

Vale fan here. Always good to keep track of former players but I have to admit, it was a surprise to see Calvin Andrew sign for you, and especially on a two year deal. It's fair to say he didn't impress for us in League Two, so not sure how he'll handle the step up to League One.

Positives first - he's big and strong, he holds the ball up well and will help out your midfielders. He's got a good attitude and is a real team player. There was talk when he was here about playing him in the middle, or even as a centre half because of his strength.

As a striker though, oh dear. His one goal in 22 starts for us says a lot, but what it doesn't say is that even that one goal came from a deflection off his backside that he claimed. Not sure he even had a clear chance, or a shot saved, never mind a goal. If you expect him to get you goals, this is one turd that will need a hell of a lot of polishing. I can't see him getting more than 5 or 6 even if he plays every game all season.

One popular chant towards the end of his time with us was "if Calvin scores, we're on the pitch"' a humerous nod to the fact that we knew, even before kick off, that he wouldn't be troubling the keeper.

Good luck to him anyway, as I said, he had a great attitude but just didn't cut it in League Two.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/former-valiants-summer-round-up/

We sang that about George at Newport. Look what happened there!
Calvin Andrew signs on 13:47 - Jul 26 with 2054 viewsolympicdale

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:30 - Jul 26 by zxcvbnm

Lets hope Andrews doesn't turn into the new boo boy before he's been given a chance!

It's almost like some people don't trust Hill's judgment..

Life is a game of fate.

Calvin Andrew signs on 11:06 - Jul 28 with 1753 viewsMorden

Calvin Andrew signs on 09:30 - Jul 26 by zxcvbnm

Perhaps he's been signed to take the heat off George
Calvin Andrew signs on 13:00 - Jul 28 with 1634 viewsParkinsGimp

Not impressed with this signing in the slightest. He looked pretty hopeless( admittedly against decent opponents) but his scoring record is abysmal, and I can see why, he should of slotted the ball in the net when he was put through on saturday instead of giving Hendo the tap in. Perhaps his confidence is shot.
I also dont like the idea that this will be our game plan , lump it to Andrew get him to flick it on, surely League One teams will suss this out.
Hope you guys are right and he turns the lads career around.
Calvin Andrew signs on 13:04 - Jul 28 with 1619 viewsfitzochris

Calvin Andrew signs on 13:00 - Jul 28 by ParkinsGimp

Not impressed with this signing in the slightest. He looked pretty hopeless( admittedly against decent opponents) but his scoring record is abysmal, and I can see why, he should of slotted the ball in the net when he was put through on saturday instead of giving Hendo the tap in. Perhaps his confidence is shot.
I also dont like the idea that this will be our game plan , lump it to Andrew get him to flick it on, surely League One teams will suss this out.
Hope you guys are right and he turns the lads career around.

I wasn't even there on Saturday, but from the one video clip I've seen of the goal I can telly you that's bollox.

Calvin Andrew signs on 13:06 - Jul 28 with 1607 viewsParkinsGimp

You reckon? I was there sat and been to Dale for 44 years and believe me he should of could of done better to score, but hey you are the font of all wisdom and knowledge of course.
DH
Calvin Andrew signs on 13:10 - Jul 28 with 1595 viewsfitzochris

Calvin Andrew signs on 13:06 - Jul 28 by ParkinsGimp

You reckon? I was there sat and been to Dale for 44 years and believe me he should of could of done better to score, but hey you are the font of all wisdom and knowledge of course.
DH

DH?

The length of time you alledge to have watched Dale has nothing to do with it.

The ball Andrew put in for Hendo, who was in a much better position, was quality. Had he taken on the shot, he may have missed or seen it saved. He made a quick decision and it was both well executed and the right one.

Calvin Andrew signs on 13:29 - Jul 28 with 1529 viewsBrierls

Calvin Andrew signs on 13:06 - Jul 28 by ParkinsGimp

DH

You'd have thought after 44 years 'experience' you'd have an inkling of a clue what you're talking about. Clearly not.

Andrew controlled the ball pretty well, showed good awareness and played a perfect ball to Hendo, taking the keeper and recovering defenders completely out of the equation. 100% the correct decision in that particular situation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024