Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! 12:31 - Aug 22 with 13688 viewsBrizzleLadInPeace

Hi All, I am going to be one of the 1,000 odd fans making the early start to head up to Spotland tomorrow, for what should be a good encounter between both sides. I am here to give my opinions on the threats you will have to overcome to beat this current Bristol City side tomorrow, the weaknesses in our side, and also to get an insight from your fans of what to expect from your side!

On the pitch, we have made a solid start, picking up 7 points out of 9, without playing near our full potential. Things haven't quite clicked yet, the new signings are slowly settling in, some impacting the few games we have played more than others. Currently, Cotterill has got us playing the 3-5-2 system which he puts much faith in, the same system which he implemented on the side when he took over back in January last year, which sparked a change in fortunes, and got us playing much more efficient and effective football.

We have done our business this summer very effectively, picking up all but one player (Agard) early in the summer, allowing them to bond in the Pre-Season tour we took part in of Botswana and South Africa. Despite making such a tidy start, I and many fans don't class us as Top 6 certainties just yet, although it looks very likely, I believe we are still vulnerable in two areas of the pitch.

I'll start with our keeper, Frank Fielding. Frank signed last summer, and made a horror start, getting dropped after 5 games or so, and Frank's #1 jersey was not regained until the end of last season, where he came in and put in some good performances. In the first 3 games, Frank has not made any notable huge mistakes, but it is little things that make you un-certain about him, and the bloke definitely has a mistake in him. Pressure him hard enough tomorrow, and you'll get a goal out of the bloke. A new number one is one area in which we need to re-invest.

Another department in which we look weak in, is LCB. It is early to judge yes I know, but from what I have seen in these early parts of the season, teams are using out weaker left side to their advantage, and looking to exploit it when possible. Saying this, we do have a starter to come back in, Karl Osborne, who is now available after receiving a horror injury in our Pre-Season tour, whether he is selected for the squad remains to be seen, as fitness may play a part in this. As I referred to earlier in the post, we are playing the 3-5-2 system at the moment, currently selecting either Bryan or Cunningham at LWB, neither are natural LWB's, but can certainly do a job and play a part in getting us out of this division.

Onto the strengths of our squad, and believe me, there is much more to be pleased about in the last few months being a Bristol City fan, and that being down to the depth of our squad that Cotterill has created. In the striking department, we have really created a pairing of 4 to be afraid of. In Baldock, JET and Agard, we have 3 players who scored 72 goals in this very division last season, and currently JET isn't even getting a look in! We also have a new man in Aaron Wilbraham, who has came in and scored 3 in 3, and looks a good asset to have. Wilbraham did seem to like a tad tired Tuesday, and whether he plays or not with Agard coming in yesterday remains to be seen. One of the problems with not having either JET or Wilbraham in your front 5, is that we have no-one else in it over 6 foot, so both of those two bring a different outlet to the team, and give us something else to resort to if Plan A is not proving successful.

Our midfield is neat and tidy, with the recruits of Wade Elliot, the 35 year old experienced midfielder who was on loan with us in the latter stages of last season, and Korey Smith, the rock infront of the back 4, who breaks up play and is a hard tackler; someone we have missed for years. The backup in this department doesn't look half bad either, including Pack, who started Tuesday and had a tidy game, and also Reid, one of our academy graduates, but is more of an attacking flair player.

At the back we look more organised than in recent years, picking up Ayling from Yeovil who has done a tidy job, and also with the vast improvement of Aden Flint, who is now proving to be the player we thought we had signed 12 months ago, but he didn't quite cut it last season, and found himself sat on the bench a lot of the time. In the backup department, we have Adam El-Abd, the experienced defender from Brighton. He came in last January, and made numerous mistakes and found life hard adapting to a new team, but after a good pre-season, looks to of found his feet, and has been neat and tidy when brought on to hold out a lead.

Overall, I'm pleased with the balance of our squad, and look forward to the upcoming season. If you got this far on reading, fair play to you, and I look forward to the day tomorrow, and also reading your responses your fans have, and also to get an insight on what to expect from your team!

That's all from me guys, thanks.
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 21:19 - Aug 22 with 2947 viewsWhiteyBFC

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 20:55 - Aug 22 by BrizzleLadInPeace

Although it has only been 3 games, but it seems Korey is going to be a good player. Korey is a runner, and tackles hard, and gets stuck in, what we've missed for many a year.

I think she 'shit manager' comment is unfair, as he has done a great job here, and developed a tidy looking squad that looks set to fight for promotion.

Lansdown (our owner) has wrote of all the debt to himself (£40m) and created our company Bristol Sport, and got around FFP and can pump as much money into the club as he wishes, and said he will go wild with it when we get back into the Championship. As the situation has it, we are one of the richer clubs outside of the Football League, and whilst one Steve Lansdown is in charge, we should continue to be.

In the 2011/12 season in the Championship, we had the second highest wage bill in the division, but it we spent on complete tosh, and ended up staying up with only one game to go.

This summer, we've bought Freeman for 800k, Agard for 900k, and a few others for good money, so money for us isn't really a problem.

Either way whatever we do, Lansdown can write all the debt off to himself, and as long as he continues to do that, our financial situation won't ever be that bad.

Cheers

You're 100% reliant on one man. If you think that's a good thing for your club, fair enough.

Anyway, may I wish you nothing but the worst luck this coming season.

League One club, shite fanbase considering the size of your city and you all talk funny.

Lots of love,

Whitey.
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 21:43 - Aug 22 with 2886 viewsBrizzleLadInPeace

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 21:19 - Aug 22 by WhiteyBFC

You're 100% reliant on one man. If you think that's a good thing for your club, fair enough.

Anyway, may I wish you nothing but the worst luck this coming season.

League One club, shite fanbase considering the size of your city and you all talk funny.

Lots of love,

Whitey.

For starters, I don't know why your a Barnsley fan stalking the Rochdale forum at this current time, but whatever floats your boat.

And I must say, it has been funny seeing Barnsley continuously fail over the past few years, and long may it continue.

We'll talk about 'shit fanbases' when the average home and away attendances come out at the end of the season won't we sir.

Edit - 10,000 at home on the opening day I see. Very nice..
[Post edited 22 Aug 2014 21:45]
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 21:57 - Aug 22 with 2850 viewslove_the_dale

Although it has only been 3 games, but it seems Korey is going to be a good player. Korey is a runner, and tackles hard, and gets stuck in, what we've missed for many a year.

I think she 'shit manager' comment is unfair, as he has done a great job here, and developed a tidy looking squad that looks set to fight for promotion.

Lansdown (our owner) has wrote of all the debt to himself (£40m) and created our company Bristol Sport, and got around FFP and can pump as much money into the club as he wishes, and said he will go wild with it when we get back into the Championship. As the situation has it, we are one of the richer clubs outside of the Football League, and whilst one Steve Lansdown is in charge, we should continue to be.

In the 2011/12 season in the Championship, we had the second highest wage bill in the division, but it we spent on complete tosh, and ended up staying up with only one game to go.

This summer, we've bought Freeman for 800k, Agard for 900k, and a few others for good money, so money for us isn't really a problem.

Either way whatever we do, Lansdown can write all the debt off to himself, and as long as he continues to do that, our financial situation won't ever be that bad.

Cheers

If my club were £40 million in debt (which, thank goodness, is somewhat (!) unlikely to happen with our current management and manager), and someone came along and 'absorbed' this debt and then spent a further x million on players, I am not sure how I would feel.

I hope I would feel that this is not football as I know it, and that I would cease supporting my club. In the unlikely event that I continued to be a supporter, I don't think I would come onto another club's fan site and be speaking about how much money 'we' had :)
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 22:48 - Aug 22 with 2746 viewsBrighouseDale

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 21:43 - Aug 22 by BrizzleLadInPeace

For starters, I don't know why your a Barnsley fan stalking the Rochdale forum at this current time, but whatever floats your boat.

And I must say, it has been funny seeing Barnsley continuously fail over the past few years, and long may it continue.

We'll talk about 'shit fanbases' when the average home and away attendances come out at the end of the season won't we sir.

Ey ey ey, I thought you came in peace?

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 23:30 - Aug 22 with 2688 viewsRedRobin

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 22:48 - Aug 22 by BrighouseDale

Ey ey ey, I thought you came in peace?

Another City fan here, just thought I'd clear up alittle of the mess created. My fellow red could have worded his OP alot better. With regards to our 'attack' it hasn't quite clicked yet (if it will) so I'm not expecting to come away with a win.

Considering your riding the crest of a promotion with a settled team I can see this being a tough game myself and would take a point from this being the away team.

With regards to our spending, long gone are the days of overspending. We now have a wage structure in place and a commitment from our board that we'll be living within our means. So our wages won't exceed our turnover. With regard to us paying fees, that comes straight out of SL's pocket and won't affect our debt so he can stop investing whenever he wants pretty much.

No game is a given in this league, we learnt that last year and every win will have to be earnt, im certainly expecting a competitive game. Hopefully our fans realise that, our team isn't head and shoulders above other teams, its just decent at this level, nothing move, so any team can give us a game. Anyway, all the best for the season though and good luck!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2014 23:36]
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 00:01 - Aug 23 with 2623 viewsWhiteyBFC

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 21:43 - Aug 22 by BrizzleLadInPeace

Aye, 10,059 home supporters on opening day, after relegation, against Crawley Town, at £24 a pop, in one of the poorest parts of the country, with a town population of 75,000. That's one seventh of the town - just about - turning out to support it's football club.

Bristol however, is a city. It's the sixth most populated city in England. Over 430,000 people reside in it. Ok, you've another club to share the city with, but that club is Bristol Rovers. A conference club. Where are your other neighbours? We've Wednesday, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Donny, Rotherham, Hull etc etc, all within 20 miles of us. But despite all this, Bristol City FC managed how many home supporters in their last two home games? I dunno, but 11,600 was the overall gate in both games.

So, 75,000 versus 430,000.

And 10,000 vs 11,600.

Try again, old cock.

In terms of population to fan attendance, Barnsley FC are one of the best supported clubs in the country. And it's a lovely stick/fact to beat nobheads such as yourself over the head with.

You say "I don't know why you're a Barnsley fan stalking the Rochdale forum.."

You're right, you don't.

As for finding it funny seeing us 'fail', I'd take a look at what we've achieved in comparison to yourselves and then start again.

You're a nothing club, in a nothing city with no football heritage/history to speak of. But hey, you've Steve Lansdown and he nearly got you the WorldCup once...

Fcuking Bristol.
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 00:07 - Aug 23 with 2609 viewslove_the_dale

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 23:30 - Aug 22 by RedRobin

Another City fan here, just thought I'd clear up alittle of the mess created. My fellow red could have worded his OP alot better. With regards to our 'attack' it hasn't quite clicked yet (if it will) so I'm not expecting to come away with a win.

Considering your riding the crest of a promotion with a settled team I can see this being a tough game myself and would take a point from this being the away team.

With regards to our spending, long gone are the days of overspending. We now have a wage structure in place and a commitment from our board that we'll be living within our means. So our wages won't exceed our turnover. With regard to us paying fees, that comes straight out of SL's pocket and won't affect our debt so he can stop investing whenever he wants pretty much.

No game is a given in this league, we learnt that last year and every win will have to be earnt, im certainly expecting a competitive game. Hopefully our fans realise that, our team isn't head and shoulders above other teams, its just decent at this level, nothing move, so any team can give us a game. Anyway, all the best for the season though and good luck!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2014 23:36]

Oh, that's fine then. If he stops investing, he has only lost £40,000,000 + what he has spent has on players. And Bristol City are ... where?
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 00:20 - Aug 23 with 2586 viewsRedRobin

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 00:07 - Aug 23 by love_the_dale

Oh, that's fine then. If he stops investing, he has only lost £40,000,000 + what he has spent has on players. And Bristol City are ... where?

No offense but 99% of chairmen and investers lose money including yours, you don't own a club to make a profit. I never said it was fine, most city fans were appalled how much he spent on a dire team, I admit it was shocking. He is a billionaire but no ones denying he hasn't been wasteful with it. Every city fan will say the same. We are where we deserve to be because we invested very badly. Time will tell if he's learn't his lesson!

Money isn't everything though as Yeovil and Doncaster have proved.

Anyway back on topic, who are your danger men/best players? where's you main threat likely to come from?
[Post edited 23 Aug 2014 0:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 00:34 - Aug 23 with 2554 viewsroccydaleian

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 00:20 - Aug 23 by RedRobin

No offense but 99% of chairmen and investers lose money including yours, you don't own a club to make a profit. I never said it was fine, most city fans were appalled how much he spent on a dire team, I admit it was shocking. He is a billionaire but no ones denying he hasn't been wasteful with it. Every city fan will say the same. We are where we deserve to be because we invested very badly. Time will tell if he's learn't his lesson!

Anyway back on topic, who are your danger men/best players? where's you main threat likely to come from?

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 01:03 - Aug 23 with 2518 viewsroccydaleian

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 00:34 - Aug 23 by roccydaleian

You'll see tomorrow
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 07:19 - Aug 23 with 2421 viewsrkershaw

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 01:03 - Aug 23 by roccydaleian

You'll see tomorrow

If Donnelly and Andrew are on the pitch you will certainly have your work cut out!!
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 10:44 - Aug 23 with 2256 viewsboromat

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 00:20 - Aug 23 by RedRobin

Barry-Murphy. If he starts be worried!!!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 11:13 - Aug 23 with 2208 viewsDale1940

Cheers

I always thought steve lansdown had more brains than investing £40 million in Bristol city, as a client of Hargreaves Lansdown I will be withdrawing my investment.
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 11:23 - Aug 23 with 2196 viewsColDale

Cheers

If you're getting around FFP, you're cheating.
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 13:50 - Aug 23 with 2013 viewsRedRobin

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 01:03 - Aug 23 by roccydaleian

You'll see tomorrow

Having watched some of your highlights you do look a neat and tidy outfit playing the right way. Think you'll do well this season if you keep it up and should give us a good game today, especially through the middle I'd think.

On a side note, good result for you guys but some of that crewe defending - oh dear!
Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 17:25 - Aug 23 with 1827 viewsboromat

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 13:50 - Aug 23 by RedRobin

Having watched some of your highlights you do look a neat and tidy outfit playing the right way. Think you'll do well this season if you keep it up and should give us a good game today, especially through the middle I'd think.

On a side note, good result for you guys but some of that crewe defending - oh dear!

Any thoughts from our friends from Bristol City?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 17:28 - Aug 23 with 1801 viewsDaleaholic

A new number 1? I think you should be thankful Fielding was in net today! What a save!

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 17:29 - Aug 23 with 1795 viewsTommoRAFC

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 17:25 - Aug 23 by boromat

Any thoughts from our friends from Bristol City?

What happened to the 1,000?

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 17:30 - Aug 23 with 1774 viewsSuddenLad

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! (n/t) on 17:29 - Aug 23 by TommoRAFC

What happened to the 1,000?

Stopped in the chippy probably. Certainly never made it into the ground.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 17:33 - Aug 23 with 1764 views442Dale

All that money to be nearly as good as us. Hope they enjoy the point.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 17:53 - Aug 23 with 1670 viewsmightydale

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 17:33 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

All that money to be nearly as good as us. Hope they enjoy the point.

Sorry mate but your dog poo

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 18:01 - Aug 23 with 1632 views442Dale

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 17:53 - Aug 23 by mightydale

Sorry mate but your dog poo

Cheers!

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 18:18 - Aug 23 with 1583 viewsmightydale

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 18:01 - Aug 23 by 442Dale

Cheers!

Sorry stupid phone I meant to put I thought city were dog poo for all the money they have spent

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 18:18 - Aug 23 with 1572 viewsNafelad

What a waste of money!!

Topcat

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 18:21 - Aug 23 with 1539 viewsD_Alien

Bristol City Fan - In Peace! on 18:18 - Aug 23 by mightydale

Sorry stupid phone I meant to put I thought city were dog poo for all the money they have spent

We know what you meant, but can't we just credit Dale with more than matching an expensively put-together outfit?

Calling them dog poo denigrates our performance too.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024