Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best places to live in the UK 13:24 - Aug 25 with 5265 views100notout

Rochdale 325 out of 7137.

Surprised we're that high up to be honest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11041812/Mapped-the-best-places-to-
[Post edited 25 Aug 2014 13:24]

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Best places to live in the UK on 13:51 - Aug 25 with 4279 viewsreggie_rocket

Very interesting. Although I know that it is a great place to live the ranking is surprisingly high.
Perhaps this will stop morons in Sandy Lane singing that it is a s**t hole. They probably have only experience of Rochdale. - unless their song is meant to be ironic? I love the Sandy (over 50 years experience of it) but hate the song.

Recent opponents rank out of 7,137: Bristol 5993
Peterborough 3771
Preston 7036
And next up:
Bradford 7110
Best places to live in the UK on 13:55 - Aug 25 with 4266 viewsjonesy

How did you work that out? Looks like 7126 to me.
Best places to live in the UK on 14:04 - Aug 25 with 4227 viewsboromat

Yep 7126 out of 7137. Sandy keep singing!!! haha

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Best places to live in the UK on 14:04 - Aug 25 with 4226 viewsreggie_rocket

I take it all back. Ranking given online has been changed dramatically from 325 to 7126!

Apologies. The 'morons' are correct according to the revised figure.

It is still number 1 for me and always will be.
Best places to live in the UK on 14:04 - Aug 25 with 4221 viewsColDale

Its the Norden & Bamford areas that are 325th
Best places to live in the UK on 14:06 - Aug 25 with 4211 viewsKenBoon

Best places to live in the UK on 13:55 - Aug 25 by jonesy

It's split down in to areas of the borough too. It's night and day between our most affluent and most depressed areas. That's assuming the statistics even slightly reflect reality.
Best places to live in the UK on 14:06 - Aug 25 with 4210 viewsTVOS1907

Best places to live in the UK on 13:55 - Aug 25 by jonesy

I got 6835 when I clicked on one part of the Rochdale section and 7126 on another part.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2014 14:07]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Best places to live in the UK on 14:14 - Aug 25 with 4180 viewsreggie_rocket

I see now that every area different. 7126 for central Rochdale. Much better for areas away from the centre. Makes it meaningless for the borough as a whole but does show very dramatic differences from area to area in the borough.

I still hate the song!
Login to get fewer ads

Best places to live in the UK on 14:41 - Aug 25 with 4110 viewsJimmyRustler

Best places to live in the UK on 13:51 - Aug 25 by reggie_rocket

Very interesting. Although I know that it is a great place to live the ranking is surprisingly high.
Perhaps this will stop morons in Sandy Lane singing that it is a s**t hole. They probably have only experience of Rochdale. - unless their song is meant to be ironic? I love the Sandy (over 50 years experience of it) but hate the song.

Recent opponents rank out of 7,137: Bristol 5993
Peterborough 3771
Preston 7036
And next up:
Bradford 7110

The 'morons' in the Sandy ONLY sing it in reply to the opposing fans singing 'Rochdale's a shithole, I want to go home..' Even then, they reply with, 'We already know, Rochdale's a shithole, we already know..'
Best places to live in the UK on 15:41 - Aug 25 with 3971 viewsreggie_rocket

Every right to sing it.

I just don't like to hear it.
Best places to live in the UK on 15:46 - Aug 25 with 3948 viewsJimmyRustler

Best places to live in the UK on 15:41 - Aug 25 by reggie_rocket

Every right to sing it.

Every right to call people morons because you don't agree with their views (although a little ignorant).

Best places to live in the UK on 15:59 - Aug 25 with 3918 viewsreggie_rocket

Fair comment. Got carried away by what appeared to be very good news for the town. Now that I look at the map more carefully I see that it is quite good news for most of the borough - it certainly isn't a s**thole.

Makes this old codger sad to hear anyone call it one.

That's it now. I've no more to say.
Best places to live in the UK on 16:03 - Aug 25 with 3912 viewsParkinsGimp

LOL thought that could not be right, just look at the town centre FFS
No shops , no decent places to go , that are safe and relaxed.
It is without doubt a complete dump , made worse by useless councillors without forsight or brains.
Best places to live in the UK on 16:23 - Aug 25 with 3867 viewsColDale

There are so many wonderful bits about the town that its too easy to overlook

We have fantastic countryside areas such as Hollingworth Lake and Healey Dell
We have a League One football team
We have great opportunities for kids at football, cricket and RL
We've got a stunning town hall
There's two or three cracking restaurants
There's great hotels for people stopping over (that old holiday to Rochdale)
and there's no end of places to visit all within 30 minutes' drive of the town centre

Personally I reckon that puts us above 90% of the people in the country.
Best places to live in the UK on 16:57 - Aug 25 with 3795 viewsTalkingSutty

Best places to live in the UK on 16:23 - Aug 25 by ColDale

There are so many wonderful bits about the town that its too easy to overlook

We have fantastic countryside areas such as Hollingworth Lake and Healey Dell
We have a League One football team
We have great opportunities for kids at football, cricket and RL
We've got a stunning town hall
There's two or three cracking restaurants
There's great hotels for people stopping over (that old holiday to Rochdale)
and there's no end of places to visit all within 30 minutes' drive of the town centre

Personally I reckon that puts us above 90% of the people in the country.

The state of the town centre is as a result of decades of mismanagement and ineptitude by a succession of councillors etc, they should be held to account but most of them have probably passed away by now.

Apart from that I think the town does have plenty of positives as Col points out. There is a lot of poverty around Rochdale but folk just get on with it and have a get up and go spirit, there are characters all over the town and it does have a community spirit.

We live in a town with a large multi cultural population and it always amazes me how in general we all seem to get on with each other, live and let live. Oldham is a very similar town to Rochdale and it was brought to its knees during the race riots, as a town we have never resorted to that. In fact during decades of interaction with the Asian community I have found 99% of them to be great people. Obviously there are bad apples also but that's the same the world over.

I think the people make the town and we have a lot of good people in Rochdale, life's hard for some of them but in general it's a friendly town which has been let down by those trusted to oversee its future development.
Best places to live in the UK on 16:59 - Aug 25 with 3787 viewsParkinsGimp

LOL , yes true its easy to get out of, but my beef is with the useless council, who sat by idly as bury and Bolton kicked on for grants and improvements before the financial crisis.
We have a totally wasted tramline going on a trip to oblivion, no good shopping centre, but plenty of 50p shops( yes not even pound shops lol) and mobile phone shops and please tell me that you would be safe to wander around down town after 10pm with the wonderful plethera of bars and restaurants in close proxiimatey. I agree with have some nice places on the outskirts , but so do most places.
Best places to live in the UK on 17:40 - Aug 25 with 3712 viewsSuddenLad

The downside of the 'desirable areas' is that in the last 3 years, the postcode areas achieving the highest desirability have become specific targets for crime, travelling tinkers and other menaces all because they are seen as 'attractive propositions' and are occupied by wealthier targets.

It might explain why the same areas don't retain top spot.

Be careful what you wish for.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Best places to live in the UK on 18:00 - Aug 25 with 3676 viewsColDale

Best places to live in the UK on 16:59 - Aug 25 by ParkinsGimp

LOL , yes true its easy to get out of, but my beef is with the useless council, who sat by idly as bury and Bolton kicked on for grants and improvements before the financial crisis.
We have a totally wasted tramline going on a trip to oblivion, no good shopping centre, but plenty of 50p shops( yes not even pound shops lol) and mobile phone shops and please tell me that you would be safe to wander around down town after 10pm with the wonderful plethera of bars and restaurants in close proxiimatey. I agree with have some nice places on the outskirts , but so do most places.

Have long since thought that there reason we have lagged behind these towns in terms of town centre investment is that the Rochdale ward has never been a Labour / Conservative marginal in the past 40 years. The Tories will be reluctant to invest into Rochdale as they'd never get elected here to benefit from that investment, whilst a Labour government would see Rochdale as being a safe seat and wouldn't need the investment to keep it out the hands of the Tories. Whilst only a theory, I'd imagine the marginal seats in this country do pretty well for investment in the town.
Best places to live in the UK on 18:17 - Aug 25 with 3628 viewsSalwaDale

Haven't lived in Rochdale for 16 years but did move back to Bamford for a couple of weeks. Driving into town, Rochdale looked like it was at the beginning of being on the up. bury town centre seemed very good too.

TBBT

Best places to live in the UK on 18:18 - Aug 25 with 3625 viewsisitme

Under the previous government there was lots of money invested in Rochdale, but it was spent badly and on vanity projects. I dread to think how much money was wasted on consultants etc.

The problem in Rochdale is that it will always have a Labour council, especially after the implosion of the local Liberal Democrat party. There is no incentive for them to 'get it right' as the vast majority of councils are in safe seats, no matter how they perform. It was a Tory led council in Bury that oversaw the building of the Rock etc.

I know this will not be popular, but would a Tory run council in Rochdale spend the money any better? The present lot have had years and years in power but have been complicit in the decline of the town.

Col I have found this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/266892
#

Which highlights council spending power per dwelling. Not the best measure in my opinion but I suppose it does in a poor way compare government grants in each area of the country. I'm not sure how the equates to Tory/Labour/Lib Dem constituencies.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2014 18:32]
Best places to live in the UK on 18:39 - Aug 25 with 3574 viewsNigeriamark

I don't live in Rochdale anymore for work reasons but come back at very opportunity. Majority of the people are great, good pubs, watching dale, cheap housing etc. Unfortunately for outsiders or people looking to invest, the general appearance of a town, especially the town centre is important. I often walk from Littleboough to the town centre and it is amazing how much rubbish/chip wrappers etc are on the street or chucked into gardens. I can see some improvements happening in the centre but still along way to go. As commented here there are a lot of places 30 minutes away, but then that is not really Rochdale
Best places to live in the UK on 19:16 - Aug 25 with 3489 viewsR17ALE

Best places to live in the UK on 18:18 - Aug 25 by isitme

Under the previous government there was lots of money invested in Rochdale, but it was spent badly and on vanity projects. I dread to think how much money was wasted on consultants etc.

The problem in Rochdale is that it will always have a Labour council, especially after the implosion of the local Liberal Democrat party. There is no incentive for them to 'get it right' as the vast majority of councils are in safe seats, no matter how they perform. It was a Tory led council in Bury that oversaw the building of the Rock etc.

I know this will not be popular, but would a Tory run council in Rochdale spend the money any better? The present lot have had years and years in power but have been complicit in the decline of the town.

Col I have found this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/266892
#

Which highlights council spending power per dwelling. Not the best measure in my opinion but I suppose it does in a poor way compare government grants in each area of the country. I'm not sure how the equates to Tory/Labour/Lib Dem constituencies.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2014 18:32]

tbf in the early 1980's the council was Tory led for a good few years.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Best places to live in the UK on 19:20 - Aug 25 with 3481 viewsisitme

Best places to live in the UK on 19:16 - Aug 25 by R17ALE

tbf in the early 1980's the council was Tory led for a good few years.

And was the council any better run then?
Best places to live in the UK on 19:40 - Aug 25 with 3414 viewsmodelboydave

Rochdale is no different to many towns .... Good bits ...bad bits.
The part of luton I live in came 157th out of 7137
But the part near the football ground came 6483 and that's only 2 miles away from my house.

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Best places to live in the UK on 19:45 - Aug 25 with 3402 viewsR17ALE

Best places to live in the UK on 19:20 - Aug 25 by isitme

And was the council any better run then?

Depends who you ask!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024