Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium 10:17 - Aug 27 with 21645 viewsColDale

We have been contacted by a large number of Trust members and Dale supporters in the last few weeks with regard to the purchase of Spotland by Rochdale A.F.C., with further enquiries after Keith Hill’s comments after the Bristol City game on Saturday.

Since April, there have been a number of statements and reports that have linked Rochdale A.F.C. with a bid to regain full ownership of Spotland Stadium, with a number of concerns raised throughout August about the role of Rochdale Council in this bid by both the board of directors at Rochdale A.F.C. and even the manager Keith Hill.

The creation of a Stadium Company back in the late 1980’s saw Rochdale A.F.C. retain a 45.5% shareholding in the Stadium, with Rochdale Hornets acquiring an equivalent shareholding and Rochdale Council taking on the remaining 9%. However, financial problems for Rochdale Hornets saw their shareholding transfer to the RFL as a result of a loan, and soon after they entered administration. They eventually were forced to reform and were allowed to play at Spotland.

However, the current three party ownership of Spotland Stadium has seen a significant debt accumulated. We believe the debt currently stands in excess of £600,000 and as things stand, it is increasing year by year. Under the current three party ownership, this debt will continue to grow until the day when it becomes unsustainable and the Stadium enters administration.

It was announced in April of this year, that Rochdale A.F.C. had launched a bid to acquire full ownership of the stadium. By pursuing full ownership of the Stadium, Rochdale A.F.C would take full responsibility for these debts.

Whilst concerns from supporters of Rochdale Hornets are understandable, we can confirm that any deal to take over the ownership of Spotland would include a long term lease at a reduced rent which would allow the continued use of Spotland by Rochdale Hornets. All supporters of Rochdale Hornets can be assured that there is no plan or desire to see them play home games away from Spotland.

It is our belief that earlier in the year, the Council were fully supportive of Rochdale A.F.C.’s bid to buy the Stadium, given the assurances regarding Rochdale Hornets and the Stadium Company debts. Not only that, the belief was that the RFL were willing to do business with Rochdale AFC given the assurances that were being made.

However, it would appear that the change in leadership at the Council no longer seems to be backing this plan. As such, we are asking questions about who’s best interest they are acting in. The new Council Leader Richard Farnell is a Rochdale Hornets sponsor and the man he placed in charge of the Stadium Company — Allen Brett — is a former Hornets director. Furthermore, after taking on the position on June 4th, Allen Brett spoke on BBC Radio on August denied any knowledge of a Stadium purchase claiming to be “flabberghasted” despite the bid being on the cards for a number of months and front page news in the Rochdale Observer.

We can confirm that one Trust member has already contacted the acting Chief Executive of the Council in the past week over a number of concerns regarding Allen Brett’s suitability for the position of Stadium Company Chairman.

We are very concerned as a representative body for Rochdale A.F.C. supporters that it would appear that the serving members of the Council are not acting in a way that is in the best interest of the people they represent, many of whom are supporters of Rochdale A.F.C. and as such, we as a Trust would like answers to the following questions:

*Given that Allen Brett has previously been a director of Rochdale Hornets and has represented their interests on the Stadium Company, does he retain the impartiality required to be Chairman of the Stadium Company?

*Furthermore, is the “Brett Loan” that is featured in the latest set of accounts for Rochdale Hornets in any way related to Allen Brett and his previous time as a director? Does this bring up a conflict of interest?

* Given that Allen Brett’s previous spell in charge of the Stadium Company approximately ten years ago saw non payment of rent to the stadium company over at least a three year period ( http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/stadium-row-pits-club-a and Stadium Company debt reach record levels at the time, in what way does he remain a suitable candidate for the position?

* Again, we question his suitability for the role given he assumed the role of Chairman of the Stadium Company on 4th June, how could it be possible that over two months later, he is quoted as having no knowledge of RAFC’s bid for the stadium on Radio Manchester when there is evidence proving it had been on the Stadium Company agenda for a number of months previous to this? Surely at the very least, in becoming a director of the Stadium Company, there is a legal responsibility to do due diligence on that company?

*We are aware that some supporters have attempted to contact Allen Brett over these concerns. Why has there been no response to these emails give that he has been elected to represent the people?
Given that Rochdale Council retains a 9% stake in the stadium which carries a debt in excess of £600,000, in what way do the Council have plans to act upon behalf of its council tax payers to prevent the stadium entering administration as a result of this debt ?

* Given that Rochdale A.F.C is looking at a guaranteed long term lease for Rochdale Hornets. what other plans does Rochdale Council have to ensure the future of professional Rugby League within the town?

* In a town which continually attracts extremely negative media attention, why is the serving Council acting against the interests of one of the town’s biggest success stories in recent years?

We would like to invite all our members and Dale supporters to contact their local Councillors ( http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?VW=TABLE&PIC=1&FN ) and ask for their answers to the above questions.
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 07:25 - Aug 29 with 2298 viewsaleanddale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:59 - Aug 28 by Vespa

Rugby Yawnion............ Different class.

Col..................The majority of Hornets fans that I've spoken to really don't give a sh1t who owns the stadium whether it's as it is now, or the Dale or the council or the RFL as long Hornets get to play there and that includes me. There are a few who see the Dales plans of owning the whole of Spotland as some sort of conspiracy by the Dale to either hoof Hornets out of Spotland or just charge Hornets the absolute maximum they can without actually sending them bump.
We made a small profit of £35K last set of accounts and it's not entirely out of the question that the rent could be hiked up to just take lot and prevent us from growing and becoming something better and bigger than we are at the moment. I don't for a moment believe that Mr Dunphy et al are that devious but the current Dale BOD wont be there forever and we're all sort of hoping that the life of the new Hornets will be longer than our own.

A legal agreement could easily be drafted that stiplulates what the rent would be and that could be index linked into inflation. No more.

So what Hornets commit too would be exactly the same pro rata for the next 100 years.

The inflation increase comes in every April 1st - bingo - everyones a winner.
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 08:57 - Aug 29 with 2216 viewsjudd

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 20:19 - Aug 28 by Vespa

From my perspective there would be nothing wrong about the Dale owning the stadium and charging Hornets a fair rent with a long term lease.

I was just pointing the flaw out in irisaln suggestion that the Dale should just let Denehurst park go bump and then buy the stadium from the receivers or administrators.

The receivers have a duty to either sell the company as a whole as a going concern or sell the companies assets, of which Spotland is one, for basically as much as they can get. The person or entity that paid the most would be new owner and that might not be the Dale. If Denehurst Park Ltd was broken up and the assets sold then there would effectively be no contract between the Dale and the new owner, for the Dale (or Hornets) to play there a rent would have to be agreed, any new owner may well have both clubs over a barrel.

Have you never heard of pre-pack administration?

Because that is the risk being run by those who continue to ignore the football clubs' offer.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 09:13 - Aug 29 with 2189 viewsColDale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 11:07 - Aug 29 with 2043 viewslurker

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 09:13 - Aug 29 by ColDale

Decent font size that......
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 11:11 - Aug 29 with 2035 viewsTVOS1907

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 09:13 - Aug 29 by ColDale

Soccer?

Only surprise is they didn't call us "the AFC".
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 13:54]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 11:44 - Aug 29 with 1965 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

The story about the dog being sprayed in the eyes with ammonia is absolutely disgusting. Thankfully he is recovering from the temporary blinding.
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 11:52 - Aug 29 with 1943 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 08:57 - Aug 29 by judd

Have you never heard of pre-pack administration?

Because that is the risk being run by those who continue to ignore the football clubs' offer.

I have and whilst I don't claim to fully understand (or even have a working knowledge of) the process I would guess that any administrator must be appointed by the Board of Directors. I doubt one could be appointed without the knowledge or acquiescence of the other directors. I doubt a prepack could be forced by the Dale on the council. BWTFDIK

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 11:54 - Aug 29 with 1930 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 07:25 - Aug 29 by aleanddale

A legal agreement could easily be drafted that stiplulates what the rent would be and that could be index linked into inflation. No more.

So what Hornets commit too would be exactly the same pro rata for the next 100 years.

The inflation increase comes in every April 1st - bingo - everyones a winner.

I agree.

Login to get fewer ads

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:03 - Aug 29 with 1906 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 11:44 - Aug 29 by Albert_Whitehurst

The story about the dog being sprayed in the eyes with ammonia is absolutely disgusting. Thankfully he is recovering from the temporary blinding.

I think I'm more disgusted with the scum who hit an 81 year old man with a car three times.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 12:04]

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:10 - Aug 29 with 1891 viewsjudd

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 11:52 - Aug 29 by Vespa

I have and whilst I don't claim to fully understand (or even have a working knowledge of) the process I would guess that any administrator must be appointed by the Board of Directors. I doubt one could be appointed without the knowledge or acquiescence of the other directors. I doubt a prepack could be forced by the Dale on the council. BWTFDIK

http://www.realbusinessrescue.co.uk/pre-pack-administration

As I understand it, a winding up petition can be issued by any creditor with an unpaid bill of £750. Such a move would possibly force the hands of the Directors of the Stadium Co.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:13 - Aug 29 with 1881 viewsDaley_Lama

Cclr Allen Brett has accused the trust of trying to conduct the clubs business in public?

God forbid!

This is the same Allen Brett who claimed total ignorance to the proposal in an official capacity despite being in his position for a couple of months?

This is the same Allen Brett who is a paid elected public official in an elected public position expected to represent the public in a public capacity?

At least The Trusts actions have brought the subject to Mr Brett's attention if nothing else, even if he doesn't like public matters being discussed in, erm, public.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 12:15]

Poll: DF in or out

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:29 - Aug 29 with 1848 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:10 - Aug 29 by judd

http://www.realbusinessrescue.co.uk/pre-pack-administration

As I understand it, a winding up petition can be issued by any creditor with an unpaid bill of £750. Such a move would possibly force the hands of the Directors of the Stadium Co.

Would this force a prepack administration or a more regular administration, with all the uncertainties that would bring.

If it were possible for the Dale to organise a prepack administration leaving one shareholder (the Dale) the owner of Spotland would it not be possible for the council to do the same via their representative and gain full control, or even the RFL.

The board have a legal duty to manage the companies affairs for the benefit of all shareholders, not just a section.

I'd guess administration is a real risk if things don't improve, but a prepack that favours only one shareholder (the Dale or any other) isn't.

But like I said before WTFDIK
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 12:33]

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:39 - Aug 29 with 1818 viewsjudd

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:29 - Aug 29 by Vespa

Would this force a prepack administration or a more regular administration, with all the uncertainties that would bring.

If it were possible for the Dale to organise a prepack administration leaving one shareholder (the Dale) the owner of Spotland would it not be possible for the council to do the same via their representative and gain full control, or even the RFL.

The board have a legal duty to manage the companies affairs for the benefit of all shareholders, not just a section.

I'd guess administration is a real risk if things don't improve, but a prepack that favours only one shareholder (the Dale or any other) isn't.

But like I said before WTFDIK
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 12:33]

It would force the Directors to consult an Insolvency Practitioner.

I would expect that the advice received would lend itself to a prepack deal.

Alluding to the one shareholder benefitting - it is the football club that has the available funds. The RFL do not and the Council certainly don't.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:45 - Aug 29 with 1789 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:39 - Aug 29 by judd

It would force the Directors to consult an Insolvency Practitioner.

I would expect that the advice received would lend itself to a prepack deal.

Alluding to the one shareholder benefitting - it is the football club that has the available funds. The RFL do not and the Council certainly don't.

Is that the way it'll definitely work then?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:48 - Aug 29 with 1782 viewsSuddenLad

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:03 - Aug 29 by Vespa

I think I'm more disgusted with the scum who hit an 81 year old man with a car three times.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 12:04]

The bloke who did it was 85 and has been arrested !!! The victim is recovering from leg injuries.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:54 - Aug 29 with 1755 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:48 - Aug 29 by SuddenLad

The bloke who did it was 85 and has been arrested !!! The victim is recovering from leg injuries.

I hope the victims legs get better. I'm sort of hoping the story turns to involves a drunken fight in a pub over a 79 year floozy tho'.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:57 - Aug 29 with 1746 viewsD_Alien

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:54 - Aug 29 by Vespa

I hope the victims legs get better. I'm sort of hoping the story turns to involves a drunken fight in a pub over a 79 year floozy tho'.

It's to be hoped she was a younger model. Losing your licence over a 90 year old would be, erm, criminal

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:31 - Aug 29 with 1670 viewsaleanddale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:13 - Aug 29 by Daley_Lama

Cclr Allen Brett has accused the trust of trying to conduct the clubs business in public?

God forbid!

This is the same Allen Brett who claimed total ignorance to the proposal in an official capacity despite being in his position for a couple of months?

This is the same Allen Brett who is a paid elected public official in an elected public position expected to represent the public in a public capacity?

At least The Trusts actions have brought the subject to Mr Brett's attention if nothing else, even if he doesn't like public matters being discussed in, erm, public.

Not read it yet!!

But the noose is tightening Mr Brett!!

How much longer can he squirm and deflect the real issue and proposals.

Lets hear what he really thinks?????????
[Post edited 29 Aug 2014 15:15]
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:40 - Aug 29 with 1640 viewsColDale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:13 - Aug 29 by Daley_Lama

God forbid!

Perhaps if he'd replied to a member's email, it might not have had to have gone public.

There's still not a single answer to any of the questions.
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:40 - Aug 29 with 1640 viewsKenBoon

He publicly criticises the Trust of handling business in public. That's rather hypocritical. He is right, but sadly the only way for this to progress is to force it into the public domain. It's dragged on for far too long.
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:44 - Aug 29 with 1627 viewsD_Alien

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:40 - Aug 29 by KenBoon

He publicly criticises the Trust of handling business in public. That's rather hypocritical. He is right, but sadly the only way for this to progress is to force it into the public domain. It's dragged on for far too long.

It's council business. He's an elected representative, not a mafia don.

Every right for this issue to have a public airing, since there's a public interest. It's the same attitude of mind that leads to girls being exploited in plain view but no action being taken.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:47 - Aug 29 with 1610 viewsisitme

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:40 - Aug 29 by ColDale

Perhaps if he'd replied to a member's email, it might not have had to have gone public.

There's still not a single answer to any of the questions.

Do you think there would be any point in someone attending his next surgery to try and get answers? Maybe the chairman of the trust? Possible invite local media along as well?
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:55 - Aug 29 with 1588 viewsjudd

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:47 - Aug 29 by isitme

Do you think there would be any point in someone attending his next surgery to try and get answers? Maybe the chairman of the trust? Possible invite local media along as well?

Perhaps even doorstepping the clown at the next full council meeting?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:56 - Aug 29 with 1579 viewsSuddenLad

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:47 - Aug 29 by isitme

He would probably refuse to discuss the matter as it isn't a matter that affects his own 'constituency' business.

You'd probably just get a lot of bluff and bluster and verbal diarrhoea which don't amount to much. As per usual.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 14:07 - Aug 29 with 1545 viewsisitme

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 13:56 - Aug 29 by SuddenLad

He would probably refuse to discuss the matter as it isn't a matter that affects his own 'constituency' business.

You'd probably just get a lot of bluff and bluster and verbal diarrhoea which don't amount to much. As per usual.

If someone live in his constituency and they have a concern then surely he has to respond?
Especially if they adopt the slant that the council is subsiding a loss making business whilst making cuts to front line services? How can this continue when there is an offer on the table that will take this liability off council hands and secure the future of both sporting teams in the borough for the foreseeable future?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024