Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso 22:21 - Aug 28 with 1779 viewsolympicdale

In the words of Gary Jules- Mad World.

Life is a game of fate.

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 00:24 - Aug 29 with 1645 viewssweetcorn

Not really all that mad.

Although in terms of ability, alonso is head, shoulders and on top of mount kilimanjaro above tom cleverly, one is 25, the other is 32, villa could realistically get 7/8 years out of cleverly, whereas bayern are likely to only get a season out of alonso, which will suit them to cover martinez's absence..

Also cleverly is an English player going to an english club, which automatically means more than his realistic value is gonna be paid.

Oh and also add in the fact that real and bayern have already done business this closed season and got toni kroos at a bargain price, with very little resistance from bayern, which probably caused real to act in a similar way with alonso.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 00:28 - Aug 29 with 1636 viewsDaley_Lama

The Telegraph describes this bid for Cleverley as "ambitious"

I genuinely hope this is true and hope the lad goes on to be a cracking signing for Villa, plays 40+ games for the next 3 years and is Russia bound in 2018.

Same goes for Smalling, Phil Jones, Ashley Yo...no, I draw the line.

The Man U first 11 is a place not to be right now, hopefully LVG will bring in more and more galacticos and release the English lads to English clubs where they can get some game time, confidence and mebbe even dick their previous employers.

Not to West Brom of course.

Poll: DF in or out

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 00:37 - Aug 29 with 1626 viewssweetcorn

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 00:28 - Aug 29 by Daley_Lama

The Telegraph describes this bid for Cleverley as "ambitious"

I genuinely hope this is true and hope the lad goes on to be a cracking signing for Villa, plays 40+ games for the next 3 years and is Russia bound in 2018.

Same goes for Smalling, Phil Jones, Ashley Yo...no, I draw the line.

The Man U first 11 is a place not to be right now, hopefully LVG will bring in more and more galacticos and release the English lads to English clubs where they can get some game time, confidence and mebbe even dick their previous employers.

Not to West Brom of course.

Smalling will never be a top player, a centre half that cant head the ball is never likely to end well.

I would say jones is likely to get a prolonged run at centre back and establish himself as united's main centre half this season, providing of course he can stay fit.

Cant agree with you that united isnt a good place for these lads to be at the minute, they are currently managed by one of the best managers in world football, who has a reputation for playing young players in the first team, providing that they are good enough to do so. So if smalling, jones, etc are deemed good enough, they'll get their chance.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 01:49 - Aug 29 with 1594 viewsolympicdale

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 00:24 - Aug 29 by sweetcorn

Not really all that mad.

Although in terms of ability, alonso is head, shoulders and on top of mount kilimanjaro above tom cleverly, one is 25, the other is 32, villa could realistically get 7/8 years out of cleverly, whereas bayern are likely to only get a season out of alonso, which will suit them to cover martinez's absence..

Also cleverly is an English player going to an english club, which automatically means more than his realistic value is gonna be paid.

Oh and also add in the fact that real and bayern have already done business this closed season and got toni kroos at a bargain price, with very little resistance from bayern, which probably caused real to act in a similar way with alonso.

I think Bayern are thinking they can get 2/3 years left out of Alonso at the highest level, just like Pirlo at Juve after he left Milan . Martinez's injury forced Bayerns hand into delving into the transfer market, by signing Benatia and now Alonso. Bayern could easily have bowed down to Kroos's demands, choose not to, and subsequently got rid of a player, who could have turned into a bad egg when he didn't get his way.

I get that because Cleverly is english it means the price is naturally inflated, but he's done nothing whilst at Man U, and I don't see how a 8m price can be justified by Villa, but it just shows that if you're at the right club that can cloud judgments when it comes to amounts payed.

Life is a game of fate.

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 08:16 - Aug 29 with 1448 viewsKenBoon

I'm surprised he never ended up at Sunderland with all the other Manc rejects.
8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 08:27 - Aug 29 with 1432 viewsColDale

All comes down to the going rate for players. Cleverly has shown himself to be a perfectly good Premiership midfielder - he's just not good enough to have a pivotal role in a Champs Lge chasing side. £8 million is probably about right for a player who has had England call ups and has 7 or 8 years left at the top level, and the fact there's 2 or 3 teams after his servces suggests £8 million is possibly undervalued.

You can argue all day about value in transfers. On the assumption that the undisclosed fee for Scott Hogan was about £1 million, is it right that £5m gets you a World Cup winning, European Championship winning and Champions League winning midfielder?

It's interesting the number of comments made about the transfer market following the Ross McCormack transfer with a number of managers complaining that it has killed the market completely. Again is McCormack worth two Alonso's? Is someone who has struggled to get a game for Scotland worth £3m more than an England midfielder who has three years on him?
8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 08:44 - Aug 29 with 1390 viewswmgunit

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 08:27 - Aug 29 by ColDale

All comes down to the going rate for players. Cleverly has shown himself to be a perfectly good Premiership midfielder - he's just not good enough to have a pivotal role in a Champs Lge chasing side. £8 million is probably about right for a player who has had England call ups and has 7 or 8 years left at the top level, and the fact there's 2 or 3 teams after his servces suggests £8 million is possibly undervalued.

You can argue all day about value in transfers. On the assumption that the undisclosed fee for Scott Hogan was about £1 million, is it right that £5m gets you a World Cup winning, European Championship winning and Champions League winning midfielder?

It's interesting the number of comments made about the transfer market following the Ross McCormack transfer with a number of managers complaining that it has killed the market completely. Again is McCormack worth two Alonso's? Is someone who has struggled to get a game for Scotland worth £3m more than an England midfielder who has three years on him?

I think this just underlines that there are many more factors at play, other than just a players quality, when a transfer fee is agreed.
8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 11:01 - Aug 29 with 1235 viewsolympicdale

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 08:44 - Aug 29 by wmgunit

I think this just underlines that there are many more factors at play, other than just a players quality, when a transfer fee is agreed.

Do you play for Man United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal or Liverpool

Life is a game of fate.

Login to get fewer ads

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 13:21 - Aug 29 with 1130 viewsKenBoon

Valencia have also bid for him. In an instant he goes from being a terrible and over-valued midfielder to a technically gifted midfielder who isn't appreciated in the pre-historic English game.
8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 13:39 - Aug 29 with 1102 viewsColDale

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 11:01 - Aug 29 by olympicdale

Do you play for Man United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal or Liverpool

You're missing the point.

Ask yourself why Liverpool paid £25m for Adam Lallana and only £4m for Rickie Lambert
8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 14:48 - Aug 29 with 1027 viewsolympicdale

8 million for Tom Cleverly, 5 million for Xabi Alonso on 13:39 - Aug 29 by ColDale

You're missing the point.

Ask yourself why Liverpool paid £25m for Adam Lallana and only £4m for Rickie Lambert

No I get your point, money speaks no volume of a players true worth anymore. We're obsessed with money here, seeing the SSN transfer thingy and having them pop up how much has been spent pisses me right off, stupid money is thrown around for average players, and even the top players, is Bale worth 100m, probably not, but it seems to be the times we live in now, and often some players are bought purely for marketing purposes. As always home grown players will always command larger fees regardless of what they've done, there will always be the case of though it is who you play for as well.

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024