Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Statement from Councillor Farnell 15:36 - Aug 31 with 4201 viewsisitme

Below is a copy of a statement made by Councillor Farnell which has been emailed to me by Councillor Biant

You may have seen reported in the local media recently comments made by Rochdale AFC and the Dale Trust (representing supporters) about plans by the club to acquire full ownership of the Spotland Stadium. There have been a number of misleading statements about the Council's apparent opposition to the buyout by the club.

I understand club supporters have been encouraged by the Dale Trust to contact their local councillors. Please see below a statement issued by the Council which you may find helpful.

Rochdale Council has always been, and remains strongly committed to supporting professional football and professional rugby in the town.

We are concerned about the current viability of the Stadium Company and are looking at various options as to how the long term future of this important asset can be secured.

But let us be clear that whatever informal discussions may have taken place in the past, there has never been a formal offer from the football club to the council to buy its shares in the Stadium Company. If the football club is serious about its offer then they should talk to the council rather than attempt to conduct important business through the media.

The Leader of the Council has written to the football club inviting them to meet the Council for constructive discussions about the best way forward for everyone.

In the meantime, we can assure the club and its supporters that both council directors are there to act in the best long term interests of the Stadium Company and the future of Spotland."

While it now appears to place the ball firmly in the court of the football club, this statement also fails to address any of the questions raised by the trust.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2014 15:41]
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 15:40 - Aug 31 with 4177 views442Dale

That's what was in the Ob.

And yes, we now await the club's response.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 15:42 - Aug 31 with 4168 viewsisitme

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 15:40 - Aug 31 by 442Dale

That's what was in the Ob.

And yes, we now await the club's response.

Ah right. I don't read the Ob.

I am still concerned that there has been no attempt to answer any of the questions initially posed by the Trust.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:13 - Aug 31 with 4088 viewsColDale

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 15:42 - Aug 31 by isitme

Ah right. I don't read the Ob.

I am still concerned that there has been no attempt to answer any of the questions initially posed by the Trust.

In the Ob, Brett says its ridiculous to say that he favours one side over the other. We questioned both his competence and neutrality given his past record as former Chairman of the Stadium Company and as a former Director of Hornets either of which should have been sufficient to deny him the role. There is no clarification as to whether he is associated with "The Brett Loan" which appears on the Hornets accounts. As a former director of Hornet, I think we are perfectly entitled to question his involvement with the Brett loan. If he is, there is a clear conflict of interests.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:17 - Aug 31 with 4073 viewsisitme

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:13 - Aug 31 by ColDale

In the Ob, Brett says its ridiculous to say that he favours one side over the other. We questioned both his competence and neutrality given his past record as former Chairman of the Stadium Company and as a former Director of Hornets either of which should have been sufficient to deny him the role. There is no clarification as to whether he is associated with "The Brett Loan" which appears on the Hornets accounts. As a former director of Hornet, I think we are perfectly entitled to question his involvement with the Brett loan. If he is, there is a clear conflict of interests.

Has the trust received any reply that attempts to answer any of the questions posed?
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:19 - Aug 31 with 4062 viewsDalenet

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:13 - Aug 31 by ColDale

I no longer live in the town and don't pay taxes there so can't correspond with the council. But local rate payers could always approach the local authority Ombudsman and ask them to investigate if you think that the councillors are trying to avoid answering the questions
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:43 - Aug 31 with 3976 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Typical "airy-fairy" Local Authority reply,probably written by their Solicitors.

Yes,let's have some "constructive discussions".......and get the job sorted,starting with Brett's involvement!
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 17:49 - Aug 31 with 3787 viewsG_Dale

In the original statement from the trust topic, I said if there was a reply it would completely avoid answering the actual questions. All he has done is blame the club and bury his head in the sand about every question, or fact.

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 17:51 - Aug 31 with 3783 viewselectricblue

Stand by to be fleeced.....
Thats what come across to me from that statement .......

Non starter in my eyes....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 18:16 - Aug 31 with 3705 viewsMoonyDale

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 17:51 - Aug 31 by electricblue

Stand by to be fleeced.....
Thats what come across to me from that statement .......

Non starter in my eyes....

So either the club or the council leader and his buddy are lying.....I know who my money is on. I wouldn't trust Farnell as far as I could throw him, and that wouldn't be far as he is a geet big fat git....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 19:12 - Aug 31 with 3587 viewsnordenblue

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 18:16 - Aug 31 by MoonyDale

So either the club or the council leader and his buddy are lying.....I know who my money is on. I wouldn't trust Farnell as far as I could throw him, and that wouldn't be far as he is a geet big fat git....

Part of the Rochdale council hierarchy covering something up, that will be a first.He'll struggle lying straight in bed
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 19:46 - Aug 31 with 3508 viewsArthurDaley

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 18:16 - Aug 31 by MoonyDale

It could have been written by this bloke.
How come politicians, from the very low councillors to the very top politicians have a very natural ability to misrepresent the truth.

A large VAT Dave

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 22:17 - Aug 31 with 3317 viewsKenBoon

The club hasn't been "conduct(ing) important business through the media". The team manager mentioned it and The Supporters Trust released a statement. The persons who can put in a formal offer haven't said anything publicly.

Personally I don't like that statement. It's Local Politics for Dummies. They should also remember they own 10% of the Stadium Company. They're writing as if they own the entire thing. If 'the afc' and the RFL can come to an agreement which secures its future as a Sporting Venue for 'the afc' and Hornets then the Council can nod along, sign the papers and focus on doing a bad job of providing basic services. They don't need to think too hard on this one.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 22:22 - Aug 31 with 3294 viewsTVOS1907

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 22:17 - Aug 31 by KenBoon

The club hasn't been "conduct(ing) important business through the media". The team manager mentioned it and The Supporters Trust released a statement. The persons who can put in a formal offer haven't said anything publicly.

Personally I don't like that statement. It's Local Politics for Dummies. They should also remember they own 10% of the Stadium Company. They're writing as if they own the entire thing. If 'the afc' and the RFL can come to an agreement which secures its future as a Sporting Venue for 'the afc' and Hornets then the Council can nod along, sign the papers and focus on doing a bad job of providing basic services. They don't need to think too hard on this one.

I'm glad you've written that opening paragraph, Ken, because I was wondering if I'd missed the club doing what the council allege.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2014 22:23]

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 22:55 - Aug 31 with 3243 viewsCockneyDale

I actually think it has been wise of the club to stay out of making official comments as they could be used to sully and distract from the negotiations they hope to have. Far better to have the issue raised and championed by us to get everyone talking. Job done, on that front!

I don't see the statement as a bad thing. If you know something is a weak area in your case then you do your best not to engage with it, so I'm not surprised they don't publicly answer our questions. I'm sure the club have/are taking legal advice on this and can use a weak position to their advantage.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 12:45 - Sep 1 with 2927 viewsDickydaler

I may (and probably have!) missed a small point in all this somewhere along the way, but before the Trust issued their statement to the press etc. did they contact the club to check to see if this was ok and by issuing it would not be muddying the waters! I'm sure they must have done but I can't remember seeing this stated anywhere.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 20:20 - Sep 1 with 2758 viewsNinco

I don't understand why a council should be having shares in a stadium company anyway. It is a private business. If the owner of my local corner shop needed a loan and went to the council, they would refer him to his bank. They should not be using tax payer's money to fund private businesses.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 20:47 - Sep 1 with 2680 viewsR17ALE

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 20:20 - Sep 1 by Ninco

I don't understand why a council should be having shares in a stadium company anyway. It is a private business. If the owner of my local corner shop needed a loan and went to the council, they would refer him to his bank. They should not be using tax payer's money to fund private businesses.

I agree, but there is an historical explanation to it.

Circa 1981 RMBC loaned Dale £50,000 to enable the club to buy Spotland from the Receivers of Euroway Cars who were owned by former rogue Chairman Andrew Hindle. Whilst Chairman, he had placed the deeds of Spotland into Euroway Cars, who from memory, were based in the Isle of Man or Wight.

When Hornets bought into Spotland in the late 1980's they paid £450,000 and therefore gained a 45% holding. RMBC waived the £50,000 loan for 10%, and Dale kept the remaining 45%.

I might be a % out, and a £1 out here and there, but that's roughly what happened.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:11 - Sep 2 with 2388 viewsDickydaler

Ok, so I'll ask this again.
I may (and probably have!) missed a small point in all this somewhere along the way, but before the Trust issued their statement to the press etc. did they contact the club to check to see if this was ok and by issuing it would not be muddying the waters! I'm sure they must have done but I can't remember seeing this stated anywhere.
Could someone from the Trust answer this query please?
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:48 - Sep 2 with 2315 viewsVespa

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:11 - Sep 2 by Dickydaler

Why are you sure they must have done?

The DT are not the club, they're not owned by the club, the club do not control them.

The DT answers to it's members, not the club. The DT looks after it's members interests and don't need the clubs permission to post or make any statement that they feel is in it's members interest.

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 18:15 - Sep 2 with 2166 viewsColDale

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:11 - Sep 2 by Dickydaler

The club were aware we were doing it, but it was't approved by them and certainly wasn't the club doing their business in public like Farnell suggested. The only bit I asked the club to confirm was the bit about Hornets being given a long term lease.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 18:22 - Sep 2 with 2151 viewsaleanddale

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 16:48 - Sep 2 by Vespa

Why are you sure they must have done?

The DT are not the club, they're not owned by the club, the club do not control them.

The DT answers to it's members, not the club. The DT looks after it's members interests and don't need the clubs permission to post or make any statement that they feel is in it's members interest.

I get the point.

If it was to the detriment of the clubs master plan then it could do more harm than good.

Better to be on the same page and go into this as one fully understanding each other's strengths.

The club reps and the trust reps I mean.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 09:18 - Sep 3 with 1813 viewsParkinsGimp

Sounds like the board have been talking rather than putting official lines in place to me.
Very unprofessional if so.
I agree that I wouldnt trust the council as far as you could throw them , but seems the board have made the club and trust look stupid if they have not put up a formal bid.
Statement from Councillor Farnell on 12:46 - Sep 3 with 1696 viewsDickydaler

Statement from Councillor Farnell on 18:15 - Sep 2 by ColDale

The club were aware we were doing it, but it was't approved by them and certainly wasn't the club doing their business in public like Farnell suggested. The only bit I asked the club to confirm was the bit about Hornets being given a long term lease.

Thanks for the reply, Col.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024