Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish independence 10:49 - Sep 7 with 10093 viewsColDale

Is it me or are we (as in British government) just going through the motions in pushing the no campaign. It's as if we want to lose but can't come out and say as much so not much effort has been put in to trying to win. You've got to be pretty crap to lose out to Alex Salmond but there's a real chance that might now happen.
Scottish independence on 22:13 - Sep 8 with 2615 viewsisitme

Scottish independence on 22:08 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

Yep and, sadly, if there is a Yes vote, he'll be at the negotiating table. However, he'll be bulleted not long after and the SNP will fragment. What happens then will be up to the people.

I really can't see his hardball approach working with whatever government is in power and if an independent Scotland didn't take on its share of the UK debt it would be suicide on the financial markets.

Unfortunately him and Nicola do not do the yes campaign any favours.
Scottish independence on 22:17 - Sep 8 with 2596 viewsfitzochris

Scottish independence on 22:13 - Sep 8 by isitme

I really can't see his hardball approach working with whatever government is in power and if an independent Scotland didn't take on its share of the UK debt it would be suicide on the financial markets.

Unfortunately him and Nicola do not do the yes campaign any favours.

They don't, you're right. However, this isn't a vote for a political party for once, but an ideal. As the cliche goes (and I'm good at them apparently), you can always change the wallpaper after you buy the house.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Scottish independence on 13:59 - Sep 9 with 2399 views49thseason

Sending the Maximum Imbecile G Brown into the fray has just about sealed it for a Yes vote I think. But offering more money from the exchequer for the Scots without asking the rest of us if we want to pay even more to keep them onside is beyond the pale. My guess is that the Scots will regard this as an insult and Gordon the moron will carry the can for losing 40 Labour seats in Scotland and getting 100s of Scottish snouts out of the Westminster trough. The arrival of Cameron, Millipede and Dead-man-walking Clegg in Scotland tomorrow will just about kill off all hope of a No vote assuming some SNP nutter doesn't do us all a favour first. Politics has never been so exciting!
Scottish independence on 15:35 - Sep 9 with 2361 viewstazzydjr

Been on my news feed most of the day

http://talkingbaws.com/2014/09/08/england-fans-sing-f-off-scotland-were-all-voti

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Scottish independence on 15:43 - Sep 9 with 2350 viewsBartRowou

Scottish independence on 22:17 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

They don't, you're right. However, this isn't a vote for a political party for once, but an ideal. As the cliche goes (and I'm good at them apparently), you can always change the wallpaper after you buy the house.

What happens though if independence is gained and then at the next election or the one after, Scottish Labour is in the majority? Possibly with Labour also in power in Westminster. Then you'd have two parties closely aligned with neither in favour of independence.

It does feel like an SNP bandwagon down here though.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Scottish independence on 16:06 - Sep 9 with 2337 viewsArthurDaley

This is really scraping the barrel, a big banner headline in the Metro.
A ROYAL BABY TO THE RESCUE
Apparently someone has got a royal groupie pregnant, and the no campaigners are hoping everybody will vote no. so Scotland will still stay in the union, just because a royal baby is on the way.
If I was a Scott I would defiantly vote for the yes campaign after that.
The royal family should be dumped in the history dustbin along with Scotland.

A large VAT Dave

Scottish independence on 19:27 - Sep 9 with 2256 viewsfinberty

Scottish independence on 21:03 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

The lies about both a currency union and EU membership have come predominately from the No politicians. I made it my business to inform myself from non-political sources on the whole subject.

On the EU the No campaign has lied consistently, aided and abetted by a pro-union media. David Cameron, among others, has constantly stated that Scotland would have to join a queue. Lie.

There is no queue system. The only thing that matters is 'does a country meet the criteria?' As Honorary Director General of the European Commission Graham Avery said quite clearly before a Holyrood Parliamentery committee, Scotland clearly meets the criteria. He also described the comments of those such as Spaniard Barroso on the difficulties Scotland would have as being 'absurd'.

His view was shared by Dr Fabian Zuleeg, Chief Executive of the European Policy Centre, Seonaid Douglas-Scott, Professor of European Law and Huma Rights at Oxford University, and Sir David Edward (a Unionist no less) who is a former European Court Judge.

All these people believe Scotland would be quickly admitted, both legally, and in terms of common sense and the interests of both Europe and the rUK.

As for the currency, Salmond has taken his advice from Joseph Stiglist and Sir James Mirless (both Nobel prizewinning economists and among the finest minds economically on the planet) and Andrew Hughes Hallett. These guys have all worked as consultants at various times for the World Bank, European Bank and the International Monetary Fund.

As for Better Together, English economist Fred Harrison and American economist Michael Hudson have both shown very clearly that the real subsidy junkie of the UK is Greater London and the south-east, especially when unidentified public expenditure is taken into account.

This includes infrastructure and the placement of huge-spending government departments such as the MOD. These figures are not included in treasury figures. When unidentified public expenditure is taken into account, the disproportionate spending on Greater London and the south-east is massive, and much to the detriment of, not just Scotland, but the North and Midlands of England.

With an increasingly elitist House of Commons, and an archaic second chamber of unelected Lords and Bishops, both in thrall of the City of London, I don't see that changing.

And I'm still fookin quit from this forum.

Spain would be most unlikely to vote to allow Scotland to join the EU, as it would set a precedent for its own separatist issues (Basque, Catalonia).

So it might not be a quick deal at all and waiting could be a very real prospect.
Scottish independence on 19:42 - Sep 9 with 2242 views49thseason

The next thing will be small towns wanting to leave bigger ones!
Oh hang on a minute.... http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=63&RPID=1817530&HPID
Login to get fewer ads

Scottish independence on 19:52 - Sep 9 with 2231 viewsArthurDaley

Home rule for Lancashire.

A large VAT Dave

Scottish independence on 20:02 - Sep 9 with 2220 viewsArthurDaley

Scottish independence on 19:42 - Sep 9 by 49thseason

The next thing will be small towns wanting to leave bigger ones!
Oh hang on a minute.... http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=63&RPID=1817530&HPID

Just signed it, could get as big as the Scottish referendum.

A large VAT Dave

Scottish independence on 20:15 - Sep 9 with 2205 viewsColDale

Scottish independence on 20:02 - Sep 9 by ArthurDaley

>>This ePetition runs from 04/08/2014 to 10/10/2014.
One person has signed this ePetition.

perhaps not
Scottish independence on 20:18 - Sep 9 with 2199 viewsArthurDaley

Scottish independence on 20:15 - Sep 9 by ColDale

>>This ePetition runs from 04/08/2014 to 10/10/2014.
One person has signed this ePetition.

perhaps not

I used a non de plume.

A large VAT Dave

Scottish independence on 21:54 - Sep 9 with 2165 views49thseason

Maybe the people of Heywood know which side their bread is buttered on!
Scottish independence on 22:50 - Sep 9 with 2124 viewsD_Dale

Scottish independence on 22:13 - Sep 8 by ColDale

Given how close it's looking at being, is it right to have such a groundbreaking decision based purely on whoever gets the majority? You could even have it coming down to a few hundred votes as the difference, and you could be left with 49.5% of the country voting against independence, with no way back. I'd have thought to go for independence, a 2/3 split should be needed (and for the record, I've no preference).

Bookies still offering odds on 2-1 on a Yes vote, and 4-11 on No. Bookies are rarely wrong.

Agree about the bookies .... for Saturday, Bet 365 have Sheff Utd at 3 to 4 on favourites to win, Dale 7 to 2 against.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2014 15:50]
Scottish independence on 10:17 - Sep 10 with 2025 viewsolympicdale

I'm not going to pretend to understand all the in's and out's of this, but it looks to me to be pretty desperate from the Torries/Labour/lib point of view, panicking now almost on their knees to offer them anything they want, it has an image of oh well they cant go it alone without us, and the Scots seem to have reacted to that with a massive middle finger. I can't stand Sammond, I don't think he has a long term idea in his head, he's not far off donning a kilt and sword and belting out braveheart, i'm of the thought that they will vote for it, as has been said, if the UK is so much better off with Scotland, why isn't that the case at the moment, all these promises made by each party are just coming across embarrassing and panic stricken.

Life is a game of fate.

Scottish independence on 11:47 - Sep 10 with 1997 viewsD_Alien

Scottish independence on 10:17 - Sep 10 by olympicdale

I'm not going to pretend to understand all the in's and out's of this, but it looks to me to be pretty desperate from the Torries/Labour/lib point of view, panicking now almost on their knees to offer them anything they want, it has an image of oh well they cant go it alone without us, and the Scots seem to have reacted to that with a massive middle finger. I can't stand Sammond, I don't think he has a long term idea in his head, he's not far off donning a kilt and sword and belting out braveheart, i'm of the thought that they will vote for it, as has been said, if the UK is so much better off with Scotland, why isn't that the case at the moment, all these promises made by each party are just coming across embarrassing and panic stricken.

Fernando Torries?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Scottish independence on 11:53 - Sep 10 with 1994 viewsolympicdale

Scottish independence on 11:47 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

Fernando Torries?

They've probably managed to fiddle more than 50million in expenses.

Life is a game of fate.

Scottish independence on 14:46 - Sep 10 with 1933 viewsraadale

Scottish independence on 20:02 - Sep 9 by ArthurDaley

If you signed it and only one person has signed it. That would mean whoever set it up in the first place hasn't bothered... Brilliant
Scottish independence on 19:04 - Sep 10 with 1868 viewswimborne_dale

Don't worry! I'm sure all those 16 year olds will make just the right decision for the future of their country. Anyone who has ever parented teenagers will know that they are always right.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Scottish independence on 12:45 - Sep 15 with 1677 viewsdownunder

I am not so sure now. Some very eloquent points made here, in favour of the YES campaign.

Scottish independence on 14:08 - Sep 15 with 1610 viewspioneer

Scottish independence on 12:45 - Sep 15 by downunder

I am not so sure now. Some very eloquent points made here, in favour of the YES campaign.

I watched the Celtic v Barcelona champions league game in a glasgow pub with some spanish colleagues last season. We were sat next to someone remarkably similar to this bloke.
Scottish independence on 15:12 - Sep 15 with 1572 viewsdingdangblue

Scottish independence on 12:45 - Sep 15 by downunder

I imagine that's what one of Fergie's half time team talks was like when Utd were losing.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Scottish independence on 17:50 - Sep 15 with 1518 viewsColDale

Any efforts from the English are only going to encourage the Yes vote. If Cameron went up there today and boasted about how much better off England would be without the Scots, the No campaign would have had its biggest boost. Given the Scottish openly support ABE at the World Cups, they'd vote against anything that was seen to boost England.
Scottish independence on 21:31 - Sep 16 with 1361 viewsThacks_Rabbits

At least now we could support anyone but Murray as he would no longer be British - not that that ever stopped me anyway the tvvat. Personally I hope they vote yes - would be more bothered if we lost the Falklands TBH

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Scottish independence on 18:55 - Sep 17 with 1235 viewsD_Alien

I'm a million miles from being a fan of Gordon Brown, but this speech is just what the No campaign needed, despite the odd bit of marxist rhetoric.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024