Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish independence 10:49 - Sep 7 with 10083 viewsColDale

Is it me or are we (as in British government) just going through the motions in pushing the no campaign. It's as if we want to lose but can't come out and say as much so not much effort has been put in to trying to win. You've got to be pretty crap to lose out to Alex Salmond but there's a real chance that might now happen.
Scottish independence on 10:58 - Sep 7 with 3651 viewsR17ALE

Personally, I hope the jocks gain independence. And if they aren't then admitted to the EU then I can think of a couple of Dale employees who will become illegal immigrants. This isn't why I hope they go it alone, but it highlights the absurdity of the situation.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Scottish independence on 11:02 - Sep 7 with 3637 viewsBartRowou

With the departure of Fitzochris and this morning's polls, it's looking more likely that Scotland will go it alone.

Not sure about the no campaign - the Tories will be better off without the Scots at subsequent elections so maybe that's part of it; at the same time, it's never easy arguing for the status quo when an alternative looks so much brighter. Especially when you're Alistair Darling.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Scottish independence on 11:09 - Sep 7 with 3610 viewsR17ALE

Scottish independence on 11:02 - Sep 7 by BartRowou

With the departure of Fitzochris and this morning's polls, it's looking more likely that Scotland will go it alone.

Not sure about the no campaign - the Tories will be better off without the Scots at subsequent elections so maybe that's part of it; at the same time, it's never easy arguing for the status quo when an alternative looks so much brighter. Especially when you're Alistair Darling.

Agree. If we were so keen to keep Scotland, then the better together campaign wouldn't have that nincompoop leading the campaign!
[Post edited 7 Sep 2014 11:12]

Scottish independence on 11:10 - Sep 7 with 3608 viewsDaley_Lama

Cameron et al can't believe that the Scots would be stupid enough to go independant.

It is this complete ignorance of Scottish stupidity that may lose the vote.

What items will people be popping over the border for cheap tax reasons apart from the obvious whiskey and kilts?

Poll: DF in or out

Scottish independence on 11:30 - Sep 7 with 3563 viewselectricblue

Scottish independence on 10:58 - Sep 7 by R17ALE

Personally, I hope the jocks gain independence. And if they aren't then admitted to the EU then I can think of a couple of Dale employees who will become illegal immigrants. This isn't why I hope they go it alone, but it highlights the absurdity of the situation.

I couldnt agree more..
Plus why didnt cameron have the balls to attend the head to head himself...
Typical gutless tory.....
Im all for any country having their own dependence...
[Post edited 7 Sep 2014 11:30]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Scottish independence on 11:32 - Sep 7 with 3558 viewselectricblue

I did read that the.labour party have 40 scottish MPs...
Scotland gain independence and labour are 40 mps short...
Basically handing the next general election to the tories...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Scottish independence on 11:44 - Sep 7 with 3532 viewsBigKindo

Scottish independence on 11:32 - Sep 7 by electricblue

I did read that the.labour party have 40 scottish MPs...
Scotland gain independence and labour are 40 mps short...
Basically handing the next general election to the tories...

I don't think that full independence is scheduled to take place until after he 2015 election i.e. 2016 (?) so the Westminster Parliament will still have MP's from Scottish Constituencies after the next general election. I assume on full independence the Scottish Constituency MP's will be sent packing? No doubt with handsome pay-offs. Mind you there are a fair few Labour Jocks who will be sat in English Constituencies. The big question? Will they be aloud to keep the poond which could leave the rest of us using the pound liable for their debts.
Scottish independence on 11:48 - Sep 7 with 3521 viewsDale1940

Hopefully they will gain independence , and all the Scottish commentaters on Sky will go home.When I ring the Inland Revenue and Sky I always seem to get somebody from Glasgow who I cant understand, maybe the jobs will be transferred to England!
Login to get fewer ads

Scottish independence on 11:48 - Sep 7 with 3519 viewsKenBoon

There is an obvious advantage to the Tory party should they go independent, but tbh I don't believe this will play a part of their No campaign as Labour are also involved.

The real sad part is this isn't just a case of Independence, but it's also splitting Scotland down the middle. Scotland will be a much weaker place after this vote. Any progress will be slow as one side won't necessarily make it easy for the other.
Scottish independence on 16:14 - Sep 7 with 3416 viewswimborne_dale

The problem the NO campaign has is this: How do you persuade Scotland to vote NO without it looking like Westminster based parties trying to tell the Scots what to do, which is the very basis of the YES campaign.

If they do vote to separate, then I for one shall be sad to see them go. I think they would make a successful country, given time. However the question "Should Scotland be an independent country?" is a sham as they are not being offered independence. Salmond is telling them that Scotland will join the EU - no choice in the matter I notice, and that they must join a currency union with the UK - again the people of Scotland don't get a say, but neither, if you believe Alex Salmond, should the UK govt nor the Bank of England! So a newly 'independent' Scotland would be beholden to the EU and the Bank of England. That doesn't sound like independence to me. On the up side, it would solve the West Lothian question and make it more likely that Britain could leave the EU as there is (I suspect) more appetite for independence in England than in Scotland.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Scottish independence on 17:32 - Sep 7 with 3324 views49thseason

If the swivel-eyed jocks are nuts enough to vote yes I will p1ss myself laughing.

We are well past peak oil in the North Sea and they will need to spend 120 Billion paying off their share of the UK debt or have whatever currency they choose (assuming its not the pound) rated below junk if they default. If they want to join the EU they will have to join the Euro zone as every new EU country now has to- So good luck with that when no one wants to lend you money (just like Greece). The place will be below third world in 5 years if they vote Yes and all the runny-nosed 16 year olds who think it will be fun to poke the old enemy (the Tories) in the eye will be looking to emigrate.

Meanwhile in England Milliband and Cameron will beout of jobs and exiting the EU will be top of the agenda if the vote is Yes.

Rumour has it Danczuk may be a UKIP candidate at the next election www. http://order-order.com/

If UKIP can get a decent candidate in Heywood for a by-election in November Rochdale might become a very Purple town!
Scottish independence on 17:37 - Sep 7 with 3310 viewsBartRowou

If they walk out on their debt responsibilities because they can't keep the pound, they'll be the laughing stock of the financial world. No one will go near them.

And I'm getting fed up of them going on about visiting Scotland for its beautiful scenery and warm welcome. For every Loch Ness there's a Peak District, Lake District, Snowdonia or Giant's Causeway none of which have been made famous by some tyres in a lake.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Scottish independence on 17:57 - Sep 7 with 3281 viewsMancDale

Scottish independence on 17:32 - Sep 7 by 49thseason

If the swivel-eyed jocks are nuts enough to vote yes I will p1ss myself laughing.

We are well past peak oil in the North Sea and they will need to spend 120 Billion paying off their share of the UK debt or have whatever currency they choose (assuming its not the pound) rated below junk if they default. If they want to join the EU they will have to join the Euro zone as every new EU country now has to- So good luck with that when no one wants to lend you money (just like Greece). The place will be below third world in 5 years if they vote Yes and all the runny-nosed 16 year olds who think it will be fun to poke the old enemy (the Tories) in the eye will be looking to emigrate.

Meanwhile in England Milliband and Cameron will beout of jobs and exiting the EU will be top of the agenda if the vote is Yes.

Rumour has it Danczuk may be a UKIP candidate at the next election www. http://order-order.com/

If UKIP can get a decent candidate in Heywood for a by-election in November Rochdale might become a very Purple town!

Would think that anyone switching to UKIP would be committing career suicide. A one note party completely unfit for serious government. Just look at the behaviour of UKIP MEPs for evidence of that. Of course they have no problem taking their wages while doing no work! The fact that someone as vile as Nigel Farage is their most electable MP says it all. Assume any dale fans voting UKIP would be happy telling Bastien Hery to f*** off back to France?

As for Scotland is hard to see that they'd be better off as an independent country. That said I wouldn't blame them for giving it a go.
Scottish independence on 18:34 - Sep 7 with 3230 viewsSJE_Dale

I don't get how Scotland going independent is anything other than pride against the English. Alex Salmond has come across as this modern day William Wallace to me with no actual plan with regards to how they will become a successful nation

They want to be independent but want a currency union? That's not independence as tax and interest rates will still be decided in London and not Edinburgh, precisely what Salmond and co are fighting to stop.

They certainly won't want to be in the Euro (providing they join the EU) so what other options do they have?

As far as the politics goes I don't feel this will impede on the Labour Party too much what with the emergence of UKIP taking voters from both sides. Mainly due to I think that only on a couple of occasions have Scotland actually swung the majority into Labour's favour (don't quote me on that). But then who do Scotland want to be their prime minister? Not Salmond and the SNP surely? I know I wouldn't, the NHS over there is a mess
Scottish independence on 18:45 - Sep 7 with 3202 viewsR17ALE

Scottish independence on 17:32 - Sep 7 by 49thseason

Interesting point you make there about UKIP. They came 4th in 2010 (Libs 3rd, Cons 2nd), but this by-election will come around a month after the Clacton one where it seems Ukip will win its first ever seat.

This means, I presume, the momentum of Ukip will power onto Heywood and Middleton as they will want to demonstrate they can take both safe Tory AND Labour seats.

I fully expect to see Farage enjoying a pint in The Gardeners Arms at Birch, before campaigning in Langley and Darn Hill!

The media circus will descend on Heywood like never before, with the result that your last sentence may well become true.

Scottish independence on 19:03 - Sep 7 with 3165 viewscupardale

As an English man living in Fife, been educated at a Scottish university and who has a Scottish wife and 2 Scottish daughters I can say hand on heart my YES vote is not influenced by Scottish pride. Reading some of the frankly laughable comments above angers me because there is obviously a lack of understanding about the situation (and I don't purport to be a fountain of knowledge on the subject).

First we, in Scotland pay more to Westminster than we get back. Second as someone who works closely with the NHS I want to protect our fantastic system and avoid the increasingly likely route of privatisation that will affect us if the UK govt carries on.

Third it's not about alex salmond. Or the SNP. As others have put it on social media it's like rejecting your dream home because you don't like the decor......get in first then worry about the colour of the walls.

I'm lucky to live in Scotland. I was considering voting no at the start as full devolution was my initial preferred option but is not on the ballot. However if we are going to be better together why aren't we better now? No one expects the land of milk and honey, in fact if things are tough then so be it but it can't be worse than we already have.

Anyway, cracking result Satdy, Up the Dale!
Scottish independence on 19:09 - Sep 7 with 3145 views49thseason

Scottish independence on 17:57 - Sep 7 by MancDale

Would think that anyone switching to UKIP would be committing career suicide. A one note party completely unfit for serious government. Just look at the behaviour of UKIP MEPs for evidence of that. Of course they have no problem taking their wages while doing no work! The fact that someone as vile as Nigel Farage is their most electable MP says it all. Assume any dale fans voting UKIP would be happy telling Bastien Hery to f*** off back to France?

As for Scotland is hard to see that they'd be better off as an independent country. That said I wouldn't blame them for giving it a go.

If the Jocks vote yes, anyone staying in the Labour party will never see the other side of the green benches again! Milipede has apparently ordered all his northern MPs to Scotland to "persuade" them to vote NO - interstingly since Moron Brown joined the fray on the NO side, the yes vote has rocketed!

And who said anything about repatriation? "We believe Britain must get back control over its borders, so that it can welcome people with a positive contribution to make while limiting the overall numbers of migrants and keeping out those without the skills or aptitudes to be of benefit to the nation." I have no doubt Monsieur Hery's skills are a positive contribution!
Scottish independence on 19:17 - Sep 7 with 3129 viewsisitme

Scottish independence on 19:03 - Sep 7 by cupardale

As an English man living in Fife, been educated at a Scottish university and who has a Scottish wife and 2 Scottish daughters I can say hand on heart my YES vote is not influenced by Scottish pride. Reading some of the frankly laughable comments above angers me because there is obviously a lack of understanding about the situation (and I don't purport to be a fountain of knowledge on the subject).

First we, in Scotland pay more to Westminster than we get back. Second as someone who works closely with the NHS I want to protect our fantastic system and avoid the increasingly likely route of privatisation that will affect us if the UK govt carries on.

Third it's not about alex salmond. Or the SNP. As others have put it on social media it's like rejecting your dream home because you don't like the decor......get in first then worry about the colour of the walls.

I'm lucky to live in Scotland. I was considering voting no at the start as full devolution was my initial preferred option but is not on the ballot. However if we are going to be better together why aren't we better now? No one expects the land of milk and honey, in fact if things are tough then so be it but it can't be worse than we already have.

Anyway, cracking result Satdy, Up the Dale!

The Barnett formula would suggest otherwise.
Scottish independence (n/t) on 20:01 - Sep 7 with 3071 viewscupardale

Scottish independence on 19:17 - Sep 7 by isitme

Scottish independence on 20:07 - Sep 7 with 3058 viewsArthurDaley

Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland all have there own assemblies.
Before I was 60, I had to pay for my own prescription, You don't pay a charge if you live in the above.
The next bit I don't know the situation in Wales or NI.
We had to sell my Mothers house to pay for her care in a home, they get such things free in Scotland.
When Arthur junior went to UNI he ended up thousands in dept., you don't pay uni fees in Scotland.
The English are continually being kicked in the b*lls by all the above. We are separate nations With the English being the mugs.
The sooner Scotland Wales and NI piss off the better it will be for England.

A large VAT Dave

Scottish independence on 20:13 - Sep 7 with 3040 viewscupardale

Scottish independence on 19:17 - Sep 7 by isitme

Scot land's contribution to UK tax is 9.9% and the share of public spending is 9.3%.......... Also everyone keeps talking about the currency issue, ie no plan B. Yet where are there any promises about the supposed new powers coming to us......? The yes campaign is far more positive about giving Scotland a fairer future, the No campaign is project fear, negative and banking on the majority being too scared to opt for a change. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge moment but it's time to be brave......As Hilly would say , NO FEAR!
Scottish independence on 20:19 - Sep 7 with 3021 viewsisitme

Scottish independence on 20:13 - Sep 7 by cupardale

Scot land's contribution to UK tax is 9.9% and the share of public spending is 9.3%.......... Also everyone keeps talking about the currency issue, ie no plan B. Yet where are there any promises about the supposed new powers coming to us......? The yes campaign is far more positive about giving Scotland a fairer future, the No campaign is project fear, negative and banking on the majority being too scared to opt for a change. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge moment but it's time to be brave......As Hilly would say , NO FEAR!

It’s no secret that the Barnett formula means that Scotland has enjoyed significantly higher spending on public services in general, including healthcare, than England, for many years.

Last year the Institute for Fiscal Studies calculated that “spending on public services was £7,932 per person in Scotland, 16.6 per cent (£1,128) higher than the £6,803 spent on average across the UK”.

Health spending was around 9 per cent higher in Scotland than the UK average.

The above quote was taken from:

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-scotlands-nhs-threat-westminster/1

Fact Check as an organisation are impartial politically and as the name suggests check the validity of claims made by politicians and other organisations.
Scottish independence on 21:24 - Sep 7 with 2911 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Fook Scotland Col your forum is splitting down the middle.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2014 21:25]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Scottish independence on 21:25 - Sep 7 with 2899 views442Dale

Scottish independence on 21:24 - Sep 7 by BigDaveMyCock

Fook Scotland Col your forum is splitting down the middle.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2014 21:25]

Stick a yes/no poll up then.

No fence option.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Scottish independence on 21:33 - Sep 7 with 2885 viewsjudd

Scottish independence on 21:25 - Sep 7 by 442Dale

Stick a yes/no poll up then.

No fence option.

I hope they vote Yes and we give them Carlisle as a parting gift.

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024