Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Attendances 22:16 - Sep 17 with 3860 viewsmikehunt

Well. I was shocked by last night's attendance too. I think we have to wait until Saturday to draw final conclusions. But it does seem to be like shoving sh1t uphill.
Other clubs are struggling too, though. Blackburn for example: season tickets same price as ours. Match v Wigan last Sunday £10 in. Tonight v Derby £6 in. They are desperate to drag support in at any cost.
I sometimes think we should call the Rochdale public's bluff by making a Saturday match completely free. I can hear the gasps of horror from here but, depressing as the resulting attendance might be, at least it will show us, once and for all, what we are up against.
The only way I can see us moving forward is by getting a new ground and rebranding. Again, not in our lifetimes.
One other thing, last time the almighty bury were lauding it in the second division (Championship as it is now) they were briefly top of the league but still only getting crowds of 5500. I met their chairman at that time who was very gracious when he heard I was a Dale fan. He told me that them and Dale were very similar teams but would never crack large attendances - and then he ran off with all the cash. Some things never change.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Attendances on 22:21 - Sep 17 with 2427 viewstazzydjr

Crawley let fans in Free couple of Years back i seem to remember they haven't done it since

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Attendances on 22:22 - Sep 17 with 2414 viewsPDIDDY

If it was free at gigg, we still wouldn't get 5000

Gissa job

Attendances on 22:25 - Sep 17 with 2399 viewsD_Alien

Not sure I was shocked. If the attendance had been 2300 rather than 2082 there's not that much difference, but the perception would've been different - disappointment but no real reaction. The biggest factor for me was the game at Sheffield and two home games within 8 days. Too costly for many, even though they might have wanted to make all three fixtures.

Don't think that in a town like Rochdale, that will ever change. As you say, the gate on Saturday will tell us much more about where we stand.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Attendances on 22:35 - Sep 17 with 2363 viewsmikehunt

Yes but that is more than 10 % As you say we could rely on 2200 -sh unless we were totally gash. Where have they gone? It's like this drip drip of dwindling support - and we are doing well!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Attendances on 22:43 - Sep 17 with 2343 viewsD_Alien

Attendances on 22:35 - Sep 17 by mikehunt

Yes but that is more than 10 % As you say we could rely on 2200 -sh unless we were totally gash. Where have they gone? It's like this drip drip of dwindling support - and we are doing well!

But the gate would probably have included the basic 2200-ish but for two other more attractive games to attend a few days either side.

Also, despite our away form, I've witnessed a bit of head-shaking by non-regulars when leaving the ground after the 0-1 against Peterborough and particularly the 0-2 against Bradford, when we played well but failed to score. Unfortunately, the result does count, and despite the confidence shown by some in the "Home Tactics" thread, there has been real concern that we might be the sort of team who get picked off too easily at home.

Last night's result will go some way to restore confidence in many floating fans, but the doubts existed and no amount of gloating (by some) after last night's win can change that. We've got a long way to go before we can be reasonably confident of getting the extra 500-1000 through the gate for consecutive home games.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2014 22:45]

Attendances on 22:44 - Sep 17 with 2337 viewsTVOS1907

Blackburn still only got around 13,000 tonight, in spite of £6, which is below their average. That would include a healthy Derby contingent too, I would imagine.

Like D_Alien says, a lot of games in a short space of time; people have to pick and choose.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Attendances on 22:51 - Sep 17 with 2301 viewsdingdangblue

Attendances on 22:25 - Sep 17 by D_Alien

Not sure I was shocked. If the attendance had been 2300 rather than 2082 there's not that much difference, but the perception would've been different - disappointment but no real reaction. The biggest factor for me was the game at Sheffield and two home games within 8 days. Too costly for many, even though they might have wanted to make all three fixtures.

Don't think that in a town like Rochdale, that will ever change. As you say, the gate on Saturday will tell us much more about where we stand.

The Walsall game being sandwiched between Sheffield Utd and Coventry was definitely a factor. We took nearly 800 to Sheffield and say if it had been a less glamorous away day you'd probably be looking at 400-500. Those extra 400 who went Sheffield will most probably return for the Coventry game. Sub 2000 home fans last night was disappointing as we were getting that for the shite we were subjected to under Coleman for those last few home games he was here. It really is harsh on Hilly and his wonderful players that this town won't wake up to the amazing football right under their noses.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Attendances on 22:53 - Sep 17 with 2294 viewsrobbowood

I am a season ticket holder and no doubt one of quite a number of Dale supporters who just cannot make it for a night match due to work commitments

That and the fact it almost impossible for those of us who live some distance away to get home such is public transport at night

As I have said in the past if we gave free admission I doubt if we would get 100 extra supporters

Unfortunately we have to face the facts that there are so many other league teams a short distance away from us and football on TV on Tuesday nights affects all clubs and not just us. If we were top for weeks on end I would be amazed if we got much over 3000

As you say Saturday attendences will give is a true picture of what our support is
Login to get fewer ads

Attendances on 07:05 - Sep 18 with 2070 viewsaleanddale

Tuesday nights kill us I am just pleased City played on Weds or it could have been worse.

The club cannot stop trying they need to be relentless with all ideas and keep repeating ones that have a modicum of success.

Kids are the obvious target - get them hooked in and fingers crossed they are Dale for life. ( I know the club do plenty in this area already ).

Saturday will be much better - take out the Coventry supporters and we need to be getting at least 2800 on a Saturday on the back of Tuesdays 4-0 performance.

We have a get out of jail card this season as some HUGE clubs still to visit Spotland.

We need another FA Cup Run.

We need to keep driving with attendance improvement think tanks

We need to keep the youth policy in place and continue to put in the shop window the Allens and the Tansers with regret this will lead to the necessary selling but that is part and parcel of a key revenue stream to stay afloat at this level.

Thank god we have Keith Hill.

Long may that continue.
Attendances on 09:45 - Sep 18 with 1955 viewsBFC

The Biffos did a free game a few years ago and filled the ground.

Think they were going well at the time though.
Attendances on 10:23 - Sep 18 with 1899 viewsParkinsGimp

Over 19000 at Wembley 2008 , surely we should attract near 20% of them if the team is playing attractive football in a higher league.
This towns apathy amazes me, for all things, planning, politics, grooming and especially football.
The soul of this town is slowly dying and I think the club are just suffering the consequences.
We have to hope the team can continue on meagre crowds.
Attendances on 10:46 - Sep 18 with 1875 viewsRosun

I think part of the problem is that boosting attendances is like trying to turn a supertanker. We still have the stigma of the Coleman era type football hanging over some of the faithful that walked during this era. Yes, I know KH is back and we have had a promotion but the whiff of Coleman still pervades.

Maybe a twist on the kids for quid thing might work ... kids pay kid price and Dads go for a quid for some of our non glamorous fixtures. Maybe involve some of the local boozers by flogging tickets for the game from the Bridge Inn / Horse and Farrier / Star / Bamford Bowling Club etc. Run a bus that picks up from these pubs pre game and drops punters off there after the game.

Maybe involve sections of the local community that despite the demographics of the town of Rochdale are seriously under-represented in the attendance. I know lots of Pakistani and Bangladshi kids at my daughters school are sports mad but unless they have someone to go with then they'll never turn up.

Every time there's a TV close up shot of the dugout at Man Utd's ground you see half a dozen Sikh guys looking like they're enjoying it. That must be like Manna from Heaven for Utd when that shot gets beamed around the world on a Saturday afternoon. I'll volunteer to leaflet a few Mosques and the Imams and see if we can involve the community.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 10:50]
Attendances on 11:06 - Sep 18 with 1838 viewsdingdangblue

Attendances on 10:23 - Sep 18 by ParkinsGimp

Over 19000 at Wembley 2008 , surely we should attract near 20% of them if the team is playing attractive football in a higher league.
This towns apathy amazes me, for all things, planning, politics, grooming and especially football.
The soul of this town is slowly dying and I think the club are just suffering the consequences.
We have to hope the team can continue on meagre crowds.

I wouldnt base the Wembley crowd as a guage for potential fans. There were thousands that day who had never been to a Dale game that season - maybe never before and never since? It was a day out for the town rather than the football club.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Attendances on 19:20 - Sep 18 with 1603 viewsDomDale

Attendances on 10:46 - Sep 18 by Rosun

I think part of the problem is that boosting attendances is like trying to turn a supertanker. We still have the stigma of the Coleman era type football hanging over some of the faithful that walked during this era. Yes, I know KH is back and we have had a promotion but the whiff of Coleman still pervades.

Maybe a twist on the kids for quid thing might work ... kids pay kid price and Dads go for a quid for some of our non glamorous fixtures. Maybe involve some of the local boozers by flogging tickets for the game from the Bridge Inn / Horse and Farrier / Star / Bamford Bowling Club etc. Run a bus that picks up from these pubs pre game and drops punters off there after the game.

Maybe involve sections of the local community that despite the demographics of the town of Rochdale are seriously under-represented in the attendance. I know lots of Pakistani and Bangladshi kids at my daughters school are sports mad but unless they have someone to go with then they'll never turn up.

Every time there's a TV close up shot of the dugout at Man Utd's ground you see half a dozen Sikh guys looking like they're enjoying it. That must be like Manna from Heaven for Utd when that shot gets beamed around the world on a Saturday afternoon. I'll volunteer to leaflet a few Mosques and the Imams and see if we can involve the community.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 10:50]

This.

Bradford have a large Asian fan base, why can't we?
At the Bristol City game I saw a small number of black and Asian fans in the stand I'd never seen before. Sadly I've not seen them since. It'd be great to tap into the untapped resource of our non-white population!

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Attendances on 10:00 - Sep 19 with 1431 viewsParkinsGimp

Attendances on 11:06 - Sep 18 by dingdangblue

I wouldnt base the Wembley crowd as a guage for potential fans. There were thousands that day who had never been to a Dale game that season - maybe never before and never since? It was a day out for the town rather than the football club.

I appreciate that dingdang, but surely a percentage of that crowd actually enjoy football and even if they only attend a few games a season it would help.
Its hard trying to convince pub mates etc to pop along for a midweek game like Walsall, but I know we all try to get a mate to come along.
Usually in the past when we have done that , the team have let us down, hopefully this time that wont be the case. Anyone who turned up Tuesday couldnt fail to be impressed and entertained. Match that with the dross that lIVERPOOL play in europe or the boring defensive rubbish that City put out and hopefully we may get a few more.
UP THE DALE
Attendances on 10:29 - Sep 19 with 1403 viewswindowsbug

It's always wondered to me why the Football League schedule games when champions league is on telly.
I know they've got to fit them in sometime, but is there a time when there is no champions league being played.
Attendances on 10:48 - Sep 19 with 1381 viewsdingdangblue

Attendances on 10:00 - Sep 19 by ParkinsGimp

I appreciate that dingdang, but surely a percentage of that crowd actually enjoy football and even if they only attend a few games a season it would help.
Its hard trying to convince pub mates etc to pop along for a midweek game like Walsall, but I know we all try to get a mate to come along.
Usually in the past when we have done that , the team have let us down, hopefully this time that wont be the case. Anyone who turned up Tuesday couldnt fail to be impressed and entertained. Match that with the dross that lIVERPOOL play in europe or the boring defensive rubbish that City put out and hopefully we may get a few more.
UP THE DALE

We do attract those extra fans - just not against Walsall on a Tuesday night. They turn up v Oldham, bury, Preston, Barnsley, Sheffield Utd or the Leeds/Sheffield Wednesday games last season. Think we'll just have to put last Tuesday's disappointing crowd down to a few factors combined that worked against us. It is rather sad though that based on Tuesday were the least supported home team in the land. They don't deserve that.

Attendances on 11:29 - Sep 19 with 1338 viewsaleanddale

The next 6 home games look like this

20/9 Coventry

04/10 Barnsley

07/10 Walsall ( JPT so if we can match last Tuesdays attendance i would be pleased )

18/10 Gillingham

01/11 Preston North End

08/11 FA Cup 1st round proper

22/11 Doncaster Rovers

Looking at that Cov - Barnsley - Walsall JPT - Preston & Donny will pretty much take care of themselves and what will be will be.

Gillingham however on the 18th October should be a game where the club goes all out to boost the numbers with a massive drive at Schools - Pubs etc to see if we can get some stay aways back interested with a promotion.

On here we could try to bring a mate - whatever but target this date what will be a difficult attendance day to drive numbers upwards.

It would help of course if we could go unbeaten between now and then!!!!

If we could get 3000 on the 18th October any efforts will have been worthwhile. You never know they might enjoy it and come back!!
Attendances on 12:12 - Sep 19 with 1288 viewsD_Alien

The significant thing will be our average gate at the end of the season.

Currently (and despite the Walsall gate) its nearly 3400.

If we can finish the season with the average 3500+ that'll be a good effort, and something to build on. It'll be in the bottom four of five averages in L1 but significantly above our long term trend.

Attendances on 12:58 - Sep 19 with 1219 viewsParkinsGimp

Even better for next season if Bolton and Blackpool come down as well :-)
Attendances on 13:04 - Sep 19 with 1211 viewsdingdangblue

Attendances on 12:12 - Sep 19 by D_Alien

The significant thing will be our average gate at the end of the season.

Currently (and despite the Walsall gate) its nearly 3400.

If we can finish the season with the average 3500+ that'll be a good effort, and something to build on. It'll be in the bottom four of five averages in L1 but significantly above our long term trend.

As posted previously, out of the next 6 home games, 4 of them should be healthy crowds.

20/9 Coventry (4000-4500)

04/10 Barnsley (5000-6000)

07/10 Walsall ( JPT 1000-2000)

18/10 Gillingham (2000-2500)

01/11 Preston North End (4000-5000)

22/11 Doncaster Rovers (3000-3500)

would be happy with those.

Attendances on 13:59 - Sep 19 with 1147 viewsTVOS1907

Attendances on 10:29 - Sep 19 by windowsbug

It's always wondered to me why the Football League schedule games when champions league is on telly.
I know they've got to fit them in sometime, but is there a time when there is no champions league being played.

The Champions League is the competition that causes the problems as it has expanded. We still play 46 games as normal, but avoiding clashes is nigh on impossible.

Look at the midweeks from the start of September to the end of November:

Tues 2 Sep: JPT
Tues 9 Sep: International week
Tues 16 Sep: Champions League
Tues 23 Sep: League Cup
Tues 30 Sep: Champions League
Tues 7 Oct: JPT
Tues 14 Oct: International week
Tues 21 Oct: Champions League
Tues 28 Oct: League Cup
Tues 4 Nov: Champions League
Tues 11 Nov: JPT
Tues 18 Nov: FA Cup replays
Tues 25 Nov: Champions League

It eases off a little bit in the New Year, but there are still all the above, already scheduled league games and rearranged league games. It's not practical to arrange a load of midweek games in the New Year as you might then get problems with postponements.

While it's not ideal having to play when the Champions League is on, I'm not sure much can be done about it, although personally I'd do away with the JPT.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Attendances on 14:01 - Sep 19 with 1144 viewsD_Alien

TVOS any chance of reminding us what our average gate was in 2010/11?

Cheers in advance.

Attendances on 14:03 - Sep 19 with 1138 viewsTVOS1907

Attendances on 14:01 - Sep 19 by D_Alien

TVOS any chance of reminding us what our average gate was in 2010/11?

Cheers in advance.

I'll look it up when I get home.

Attendances on 14:23 - Sep 19 with 1115 viewsD_Alien

Attendances on 14:03 - Sep 19 by TVOS1907

I'll look it up when I get home.

So we're pretty much averaging the same so far this season as our first one back in L1 last time, and I can see us improving on that with the next few games coming up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024