Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Making comparisons? 07:37 - Sep 18 with 4567 viewsTalkingSutty

Agree with Col when he suggested Tuesdays home performance was up there with one of the most complete in living memory, but then tried to compare the current players with those assembled by Hilly in our last venture into league one a few years ago. How many of the current players would have featured in that team and what would a combined team look like? This is my choice and can include loan players.

Logan
Wiseman
Tanser
Dawson
O'Connell
Jones
Allan
Lund
COG
Done
Henderson

So 7 current players in the combined team, i wrestled with Tanser over Kennedy and Jones over Dawson. Jones of that era drove the team and scored nearly 20 goals so that swayed it and it's still early days for Dawson but he looks the real deal.

Making comparisons? on 08:38 - Sep 18 with 2616 viewsScunnydale

I love the idea of Dawson and O'Connell playing together.

Same with COG, Done and Hendo up front. I was a huge fan of Daggers, but that trio could be something else altogether.
Making comparisons? on 08:39 - Sep 18 with 2608 viewsBigDaveMyCock

I think we're all just a little bit concerned what might happen if we post a team different to yours.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Making comparisons? on 09:05 - Sep 18 with 2560 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 08:39 - Sep 18 by BigDaveMyCock

I think we're all just a little bit concerned what might happen if we post a team different to yours.

It would start a reasoned debate and a worthwhile thread, having said that there are those who gain their pleasures from just jumping on threads with unfunny one word comments ( we all know who they are), which in reality contribute very little to the forum...crack on.
Making comparisons? on 09:10 - Sep 18 with 2544 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 08:38 - Sep 18 by Scunnydale

I love the idea of Dawson and O'Connell playing together.

Same with COG, Done and Hendo up front. I was a huge fan of Daggers, but that trio could be something else altogether.

Dawson at centre half was easy but picking him along with Jones and Lund in midfield could potentially bring that team 25 goals plus over the season,
Making comparisons? on 09:22 - Sep 18 with 2527 viewsfermin

If Logan qualifies then surely you have to go for Heaton as goalkeeper.
Making comparisons? on 09:26 - Sep 18 with 2518 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 09:22 - Sep 18 by fermin

If Logan qualifies then surely you have to go for Heaton as goalkeeper.

Good call, pencil Heaton in. Maybe after other contributions we can more or less agree on the team, my effort was just a starting point really.
Making comparisons? on 09:33 - Sep 18 with 2494 viewsSuddenLad

Tom Heaton would start for me ahead of any of the other options. Gary Jones still holds sway over Dawson at the moment, but I can see that changing if things carry on. Dawson may not get the goals that Jonah scored but he has more all-round ability than Jonah. (He'll never replace his 'legend' status though !)

COG and Craig Dawson would be in my Dale team as would Ian Henderson.

All other places would be up for grabs.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Making comparisons? on 10:00 - Sep 18 with 2434 viewsRicardo

Good idea TS - how about a bench as well?

My starter for the bench (but not sure if Will Buckley or Chris Dagnall would qualify - but they helped get us into Lg1)

Conrad Logan (assuming Heaton now starting)
Ashley Eastham (CH)
Reece Bennett (versatile)
Stephen Dawson (CM)
Peter Vincenti (versatile)
Chris Dagnall (Forward)
Will Buckley (wide/forward)

Some team - and some notable omissions
Login to get fewer ads

Making comparisons? on 10:05 - Sep 18 with 2421 viewsdingdangblue

Sorry if its nit picking but Heaton and Dagnall never played for us in League 1.

Logan
Wiseman
O'Connell
Dawson
Tanser
Allen
Hery
Dawson
Henderson
Done
O'Grady

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Making comparisons? on 11:04 - Sep 18 with 2336 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 10:05 - Sep 18 by dingdangblue

Sorry if its nit picking but Heaton and Dagnall never played for us in League 1.

Logan
Wiseman
O'Connell
Dawson
Tanser
Allen
Hery
Dawson
Henderson
Done
O'Grady

So that rules them out,thanks for that. It certainly brings home the quality of Players that Hill has brought into the club when trying to compile the best combined eleven (and subs). When the final eleven is decided maybe somebody like 442 wouldn't mind putting the team into some sort of formation, perhaps with a combined kit combination thrown in!!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 11:05]
Making comparisons? on 12:26 - Sep 18 with 2222 viewsseasidedale

Dawson at centre back def, no matter who he plays along would bring out the best in them, I wolud look good playing next to him
Making comparisons? on 12:36 - Sep 18 with 2190 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Making comparisons? on 09:05 - Sep 18 by TalkingSutty

It would start a reasoned debate and a worthwhile thread, having said that there are those who gain their pleasures from just jumping on threads with unfunny one word comments ( we all know who they are), which in reality contribute very little to the forum...crack on.

Thank goodness for that. I didn't want you embarrassing yorsrlf again if I wanted BBM in my team. Here we go, seen as you''ve had Heaton and Daggers I've gone for:
Welch
Copeland
Widdowson
Dawson
O' Connell
Jones
Lund
Kennedy
Cog
Hendo
Done

Making comparisons? on 13:36 - Sep 18 with 2076 viewsColDale

players were better last time out, but this is more of a team
Making comparisons? on 13:56 - Sep 18 with 2030 viewsfermin

Making comparisons? on 10:05 - Sep 18 by dingdangblue

Logan
Wiseman
O'Connell
Dawson
Tanser
Allen
Hery
Dawson
Henderson
Done
O'Grady

Good point, I misread the original post.
Making comparisons? on 14:07 - Sep 18 with 2011 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 12:36 - Sep 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Thank goodness for that. I didn't want you embarrassing yorsrlf again if I wanted BBM in my team. Here we go, seen as you''ve had Heaton and Daggers I've gone for:
Welch
Copeland
Widdowson
Dawson
O' Connell
Jones
Lund
Kennedy
Cog
Hendo
Done

Bloody hell, its not rocket science. Nobody has had Heaton and Daggers they didn't play for us in league one!! Whilst we are at it and you mentioned the word 'embarrassing' what does 'yorsrlf' mean??

Anyway, I would imagine the majority are getting a bored of this childish spat between you and me so give it a rest, I think we both know our feelings regarding each other.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 14:08]
Making comparisons? on 14:40 - Sep 18 with 1942 viewsdingdangblue

Making comparisons? on 13:36 - Sep 18 by ColDale

players were better last time out, but this is more of a team

Dawson and O'Grady (possibly Wiseman) apart - I would debate that claim. Fon Williams vs Lillis/Logan, Holness vs Lancashire/Eastham, Goodall/Widdowson/Williams vs Tanser, Allen vs Adams, Thompson vs Vincenti, Kennedy vs Hery/Lund, Jones vs Dawson, Elding/Akpro vs Henderson ?
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 15:01]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Making comparisons? on 14:44 - Sep 18 with 1939 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 14:40 - Sep 18 by dingdangblue

Dawson and O'Grady (possibly Wiseman) apart - I would debate that claim. Fon Williams vs Lillis/Logan, Holness vs Lancashire/Eastham, Goodall/Widdowson/Williams vs Tanser, Allen vs Adams, Thompson vs Vincenti, Kennedy vs Hery/Lund, Jones vs Dawson, Elding/Akpro vs Henderson ?
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 15:01]

Agree, i think this team and certainly the squad is better. The standard in league one is also better, something Hilly himself stated a couple of weeks ago.
Making comparisons? on 15:18 - Sep 18 with 1881 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Making comparisons? on 14:07 - Sep 18 by TalkingSutty

Bloody hell, its not rocket science. Nobody has had Heaton and Daggers they didn't play for us in league one!! Whilst we are at it and you mentioned the word 'embarrassing' what does 'yorsrlf' mean??

Anyway, I would imagine the majority are getting a bored of this childish spat between you and me so give it a rest, I think we both know our feelings regarding each other.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 14:08]

Alright, alright. I can't win can I, one minute too clever for my own good and the next thick as two short planks. Here goes:

Fon Williams
Wiseman
Widdowson
Dawson
O'Connell
Jones
Kennedy
Lund
COG
Hendo
Hogan

Sub: Reg Jenkins

Making comparisons? on 15:28 - Sep 18 with 1858 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 15:18 - Sep 18 by BigDaveMyCock

Alright, alright. I can't win can I, one minute too clever for my own good and the next thick as two short planks. Here goes:

Fon Williams
Wiseman
Widdowson
Dawson
O'Connell
Jones
Kennedy
Lund
COG
Hendo
Hogan

Sub: Reg Jenkins

Well done.
Making comparisons? on 15:42 - Sep 18 with 1829 viewsShun

Logan
Wiseman Dawson O'Connell Tanser
Hery Lund Allen
Done COG Henderson

Only 3 players from the old team make it into mine (I've used the current Done!).
Making comparisons? on 18:56 - Sep 18 with 1633 views442Dale

Making comparisons? on 11:04 - Sep 18 by TalkingSutty

So that rules them out,thanks for that. It certainly brings home the quality of Players that Hill has brought into the club when trying to compile the best combined eleven (and subs). When the final eleven is decided maybe somebody like 442 wouldn't mind putting the team into some sort of formation, perhaps with a combined kit combination thrown in!!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 11:05]

I'll allocate squad numbers as well should I?

Starting to think you're taking me for granted.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Making comparisons? on 19:01 - Sep 18 with 1615 viewsTalkingSutty

Making comparisons? on 18:56 - Sep 18 by 442Dale

That's what the ex wife said.
Making comparisons? on 19:08 - Sep 18 with 1602 viewsnordenblue

Making comparisons? on 18:56 - Sep 18 by 442Dale

What kit combination would be best, and dont forget the bloody shorts have to match please?
Making comparisons? on 19:32 - Sep 18 with 1560 viewsColDale

Making comparisons? on 19:08 - Sep 18 by nordenblue

What kit combination would be best, and dont forget the bloody shorts have to match please?

Speaking of kits, what were the ref shorts all about in the Champs Lge?
Making comparisons? on 19:33 - Sep 18 with 1560 views442Dale

Making comparisons? on 19:08 - Sep 18 by nordenblue

There are some similarities between the kits, which are apparent and thus it comes down to a personal choice. But details might make the difference.

Lack of stripes: much debate amongst the masses when they disappeared this year, but we have an effective strip which adheres to the blue & black theme. In fact the absence of white trim is a bonus on this front as the kit remains somewhat unique throughout the league and not another yet blue outfit.
Some forget we faced a similar situation in 10/11 when the Carbrini shirt had black pinstripes. Pinstripes are not stripes, if they were West Brom fans wouldn't be so irate. So we had a predominantly blue shirt then too, albeit with black arms.... which only work with such a design and never with stripes.
This season's shirt wins.

Shorts, blue v white:
Again it's down to preference, but with the added issue of tradition. Dale should have white shorts, but this season's kit does look good as a whole unit, rather than analysing the individual components as is often the case. That said, the white shorts of the 10/11 version were pleasantly plain with minimal trim (as shorts should be, see last season's away shorts for a jigsaw puzzle of a monstrosity), and they'd work perfectly well with this year's shirt, so they sneak through.

Socks, do they matter?: of course they do and if there are ever any hooped ones available as an option, they triumph. The socks of 10/11 included a turnover, which rarely fails if it mirrors the shirt, which it did that year (see 08/09 for when it didn't). However, there was one of those silly stripes down the side of the socks during our first season in L1, which was both unnecessary and cluttersome. Is that a word? It should be.
This season's socks.

So there you have it. And you did ask.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024