Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As predicted 10:27 - Sep 18 with 24233 viewshitman

Coleman back at accrington
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:47 - Sep 24 with 2473 viewsRosun

As predicted on 10:44 - Sep 23 by WhiteyBFC

You state that though, as if you believe it. That the majority of our managers have struggled like hell. We're a small town with a population of 75,000. And 10,000 of them watch the town's football club. We've the two Sheffield clubs and Leeds within spitting distance, and other similar size towns/clubs closer still. Bradford, Huddersfield, Hull, Doncaster, Rotherham. I know it's the same for you with your locale. But there's my point. Look at what we've managed to achieve in our history, compared to you for example.
Your statement of us always struggling, can only be based on the last few years. Which is harsh. Those years were still in the second tier. We've spent 28 of the last 33 seasons at that or the level above. That's not struggling like hell for a club of our size. We're a small club. At that level at least.

If you're suggesting these managers have struggled, it depends what you deem as struggling. The only managers in my 26 seasons at Oakwell that I'd say struggled, would be Nigel Spackman, Steve Parkin, Paul Hart and Keith Hill. Others who had occasional struggles, are ignored because they achieved summat. Simon Davey for example took us to an FA Cup semi. David Flitcroft masterminded an escape that'll never be matched.

Too many of you on here, have this opinion that Barnsley fans in general have far too great an expectation. It's a myth. It really is. We were hoping for steady progression, to not be involved in a relegation battle, during all six of those managers I've named's tenures. All of them failed on that. But only Spackman and Davey had fans screaming for their heads. At games I mean. I don't include a few lads posting on forums as 'fanbase' feeling. Obviously.

You're right, Keith requires control of a club, top to bottom. He can get that at Rochdale. But we're Barnsley FC. You don't walk into a club like that and expect to be given that kind of freedom. Danny Wilson hasn't got it now, and he was the best manager in English football 1998. As voted by his peers. I reckon only Sir Alex had that sort of freedom at a big club. And I can't think of any current managers with that kind of power in the top couple of tiers. I think Keith's got it with Dale, and possibly Flicker at Bury. There'll be others too, in the lower divisions yes. But aye, most clubs higher up are there for a reason. They're multi million pound businesses. Owners/chairmen etc aren't going to allow some Boltonian, chewing gum as he speaks, walking in like John Wayne, the freedom to do as he pleases with such a bigger club than the one he walked out of..

Wish they had, like.

As for pyramids, and knowing our place, I do yes. We're a third tier club. It says so in black and white. We're here on merit. Our past achievements count for nowt in the present, except for the repute you can use to gain an advantage. As in, we're always going to attract better players than most clubs down here. We're always going to be getting bigger gates than most clubs in this division too. And history would suggest we're definitely not going to be down here for long.
For Dale, it's the complete opposite. This for you, is like the Premier League for us. The zenith. A dream. You're always going to be one of the minnows at this level. Christ, if you were in the second tier it'd be unreal. Nothing (other than us doing it with you) I'd like more than to see you promoted this season and Keith sparring at that level again. Even his biggest detractors would have to eat some humble pie if that happens....

Blatant, long winded reply, just for PDIDDLY's amusement. So boring I am, that he attempts interaction with me on all platforms online. Only on here does he get my attention, because his bellendery stands out like a sore thumb. On the Bury forum he blends in nicely. And twitter? Well, it's twitter. Who doesn't look a tit on there?

11 more sleeps.....

Barnsley .... 75,000 people? More like 200,000.

Rochdale (as a Metropolitan Borough) is a bit weird in that it encompasses areas like Middleton that has areas that are closer in proximity to City and United than Spotland. Heywood, which has areas that overlook Giggle Lane.

I think a good example of a town with a small population and big crowds would be Burnley.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2014 17:51]
(No subject) (n/t) on 18:03 - Sep 24 with 2443 views442Dale

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:47 - Sep 24 by Rosun

Rochdale (as a Metropolitan Borough) is a bit weird in that it encompasses areas like Middleton that has areas that are closer in proximity to City and United than Spotland. Heywood, which has areas that overlook Giggle Lane.

I think a good example of a town with a small population and big crowds would be Burnley.

Though Burnley do traditionally pull in a lot of fans from outside the town. Places like Bacup, Todmorden are big Burnley areas, even somewhere as far afield as Skipton has pockets of their support.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:42 - Sep 24 with 2378 viewsFrog

People of Middleton see themselves, and rightly so, as Mancunians, hence the vast majority supporting city or united. I'm one of the few exceptions.
As predicted on 22:37 - Sep 24 with 2253 viewsnordenblue

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/barnsley-2.html
A rather blunt opinion of the area
As predicted on 01:52 - Sep 25 with 2205 viewsWhiteyBFC

As predicted on 17:35 - Sep 24 by nordenblue

Not assuming things Whitey its how many people from the outside view your club and the deluded ideas many of you lot have, there seems to be a distinct theme though tbf once you pass Brighouse they all go a bit billy big bollox and have ideas well above their station so you're in great company in that.Anyway you should walk all over us in a couple of weeks though being an ex prem club and all that, no pressure or anything

[Post edited 24 Sep 2014 22:35]

Deluded ideas? Like what?

Look, I'm a bigger fan of King Keith than most of you lot imagine. But if you think we were deluded hoping to score/win now and again, then aye, deluded bunch we are. As for us being ex Prem, yes, we are. Garnered a points total that would have seen us safe in most of the seasons since. But are we chuff a Prem club. And not one reds fan expects that to happen again for us. But I was there when it did happen, when Danny spent nowt and we Brazil'd our way up there. Unbelievable stuff. We beat Rochdale that season n all...

Sithi ont 4th of October.
As predicted on 07:24 - Sep 25 with 2150 viewsdownunder

As predicted on 17:35 - Sep 24 by nordenblue

Not assuming things Whitey its how many people from the outside view your club and the deluded ideas many of you lot have, there seems to be a distinct theme though tbf once you pass Brighouse they all go a bit billy big bollox and have ideas well above their station so you're in great company in that.Anyway you should walk all over us in a couple of weeks though being an ex prem club and all that, no pressure or anything

[Post edited 24 Sep 2014 22:35]

Have they moved Brighouse next to the White House on top of T'Pennines?( Or Heywood for that matter.)
As predicted on 09:18 - Sep 25 with 2115 viewsnordenblue

As predicted on 01:52 - Sep 25 by WhiteyBFC

Look, I'm a bigger fan of King Keith than most of you lot imagine. But if you think we were deluded hoping to score/win now and again, then aye, deluded bunch we are. As for us being ex Prem, yes, we are. Garnered a points total that would have seen us safe in most of the seasons since. But are we chuff a Prem club. And not one reds fan expects that to happen again for us. But I was there when it did happen, when Danny spent nowt and we Brazil'd our way up there. Unbelievable stuff. We beat Rochdale that season n all...

Deluded like more chance of juggling fog than getting Barnsley to compete at a decent level in the championship perhaps,as currently being proved
As predicted on 09:38 - Sep 25 with 2096 viewsaleanddale

Are Whitey and Norden Blue going for a drink together on the 4th do you recon!!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

As predicted on 11:42 - Sep 25 with 2047 viewsnordenblue

As predicted on 09:38 - Sep 25 by aleanddale

Are Whitey and Norden Blue going for a drink together on the 4th do you recon!!!!!

I've a feeling the answer could be a big fat no, tbf to Whitey hes a decent poster on here, he can be forgiven for writing paragraphs and verses of boring tripe as he's a yorkie and it comes natural to him.
As predicted on 15:17 - Sep 25 with 1949 viewsNafelad

I'm not interested in Barnsley at all.

Would it be possible to have an alternative Dale messageboard set up for those who wish to talk/hear about Barnsley?

Topcat

As predicted on 15:27 - Sep 25 with 1929 viewsaleanddale

As predicted on 15:17 - Sep 25 by Nafelad

I'm not interested in Barnsley at all.

Would it be possible to have an alternative Dale messageboard set up for those who wish to talk/hear about Barnsley?

No Interest?

Not even when they are next up at Spotland in 9 days time?
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:35 - Sep 25 with 1914 viewsSalwaDale

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:03 - Sep 24 by 442Dale

Though Burnley do traditionally pull in a lot of fans from outside the town. Places like Bacup, Todmorden are big Burnley areas, even somewhere as far afield as Skipton has pockets of their support.

More than pockets of Bunley support in Skipton. There's loads of them.

TBBT

As predicted on 15:42 - Sep 25 with 1898 viewsNafelad

I'm 'not interested' in Barnsley - the club, history, how their fans feel about Hill, Flitcroft, etc. I am interested in any club in our division, or who we are drawn against in a competition, mainly during the days approaching a match.

Topcat

As predicted on 18:08 - Sep 25 with 1817 views442Dale

With all the connections between the two clubs I find Barnsley fascinating, but can understand why others don't care at all. But they're really rather ace over there because many will NEVER, EVER forget Keith Hill.

However much like those who say they don't care about Dale over on the Barnsley board, the option is not to read posts about them. In the meantime they're only an alternative until we get stuck into the subject of Nottingham County again.

Because, Mr Trew, I really do hate them. Lots.

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:10 - Sep 25 with 1718 viewsWhiteyBFC

Barnsley town has a population of 75,000. The borough thing is complete nonsense. It includes places that are closer to Rotherham, Doncaster and Sheffield, bizarrely. All are Wednesday strongholds.

But even taking the 200,000 population, it doesn't alter what I was saying, that we're a small, market town, with the cities of Leeds, Wakefield, Nottingham and Sheffield next door. For us to achieve what we have, well it hasn't been a struggle, as was suggested.
As predicted on 20:18 - Sep 25 with 1707 viewsWhiteyBFC

As predicted on 22:37 - Sep 24 by nordenblue

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/barnsley-2.html
A rather blunt opinion of the area

A rather one sided, often false and overwhelmingly stupid opinion too.
As predicted on 20:24 - Sep 25 with 1696 viewsboromat

And here's me clicking on a thread expecting to read about Coleman joining Accrington.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

As predicted on 20:33 - Sep 25 with 1681 viewsWhiteyBFC

As predicted on 09:18 - Sep 25 by nordenblue

Deluded like more chance of juggling fog than getting Barnsley to compete at a decent level in the championship perhaps,as currently being proved

Maybe you're right, maybe we won't ever compete again, despite 80 years of evidence. But at least we have competed though. And in the top flight. Won things etc. Your glory era is the one you're currently experiencing. Think about that. A couple of League Two promotions, and a 9th placed League One finish. This season is as low as I've known us. Not being promoted will be a failure for us. It'll be a success if you stop up, and Keith will be lauded (and lauding himself).

Think I've finally accepted it. Yes, our expectations were too grand. For Keith. And our expectations are too grand for the Dale supporters to understand. Ah well.

Of course. It all makes sense now. it's easier to accept not competing, if you never have. More I think about it, more I realise Keith's at the perfect club. He can't fail can he?

9 more sleeps.
As predicted on 20:50 - Sep 25 with 1651 viewsdingdangblue

As predicted on 20:33 - Sep 25 by WhiteyBFC

Maybe you're right, maybe we won't ever compete again, despite 80 years of evidence. But at least we have competed though. And in the top flight. Won things etc. Your glory era is the one you're currently experiencing. Think about that. A couple of League Two promotions, and a 9th placed League One finish. This season is as low as I've known us. Not being promoted will be a failure for us. It'll be a success if you stop up, and Keith will be lauded (and lauding himself).

Think I've finally accepted it. Yes, our expectations were too grand. For Keith. And our expectations are too grand for the Dale supporters to understand. Ah well.

Of course. It all makes sense now. it's easier to accept not competing, if you never have. More I think about it, more I realise Keith's at the perfect club. He can't fail can he?

9 more sleeps.

For a minute there I thought that read '9 more sheeps'.

'He can't fail' - not on the 4th he can't ..............and he won't.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2014 21:15]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

As predicted on 20:51 - Sep 25 with 1644 viewsTVOS1907

As predicted on 01:52 - Sep 25 by WhiteyBFC

They also lost to Rochdale that season, as well, tbf.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

As predicted on 20:53 - Sep 25 with 1641 viewsjudd

9 more sleeps.

You forgot our CUP FINAL APPEARANCE.

Anyway, you're wasting your time trying to get a rise round here. Burnley fans would be better off on the Blackburn site.

Poll: What is it to be then?

As predicted on 20:56 - Sep 25 with 1637 views442Dale

As predicted on 20:24 - Sep 25 by boromat

And here's me clicking on a thread expecting to read about Coleman joining Accrington.

Yeah but the best threads always go off at a tangent. This isn't one of the best threads because it hasn't reached TalkingSutty v BigDaveMycock levels of wonderment yet.

That and the fact a Whitey post takes longer to digest than Lord of the Rings.... All three films in one go. And then the book.

As predicted on 21:02 - Sep 25 with 1622 views442Dale

As predicted on 20:53 - Sep 25 by judd

You forgot our CUP FINAL APPEARANCE.

Anyway, you're wasting your time trying to get a rise round here. Burnley fans would be better off on the Blackburn site.

I recall when we played Burnley in the League Cup in 1988 (3-3 at Spotland, Sutton with pink tape on his boots, an ironing board wielding George Oghani running riot) that the programme had us as playing Barnsley.

I'd like to say its improved since.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2014 21:07]

As predicted on 21:18 - Sep 25 with 1596 viewsnordenblue

9 more sleeps.

Wow your clubs just so awesome we're blessed such a supporter of the massive world famous Barnsley is even posting on here.One thing i would suggest is asking Hilly where he would rather be, im sure he'd tell you to shove your bullshit history up your arse and work for somewhere hes appreciated and understand what a good manager he actually is.
I suspect a bit of nerves creeping in Whitey as the game gets nearer, nothing to lose being such a massive club against a shitty little team surely not?
[Post edited 25 Sep 2014 21:29]
As predicted on 21:44 - Sep 25 with 1572 viewsTVOS1907

As predicted on 21:02 - Sep 25 by 442Dale

I recall when we played Burnley in the League Cup in 1988 (3-3 at Spotland, Sutton with pink tape on his boots, an ironing board wielding George Oghani running riot) that the programme had us as playing Barnsley.

I'd like to say its improved since.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2014 21:07]

George O'Ghani & Brenda O'Connell

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024