Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
how far can this team go? 08:32 - Sep 21 with 3752 viewsColDale

Disclaimer: it goes without saying that securing enough points to stay up is our immediate priority, and we are a long way from achieving that and the season may have many twists to come.

but....

Is there the slightest possible chance that we might be able to sneak into the Play Offs at the end of the season? We seem to have found our feet incredibly quickly and a look at the league table would suggest we've already played a lot of the best teams, and there's only Chesterfield who could claim to outplayed us. These haven't been plucky wins, these have been well deserved victories and with a bit of fortune at Sheff Utd, we might even have been talking about four wins on the trot.

I'm sure it will get more difficult when we start losing the little Rochdale tag and teams scout us for a way of disputing the way we play but I've every faith Hilly will have the team adapting to a new way of playing to accommodate that.

conversations after the last three games have started to move from staying up to possibly even a back to back promotion. I daren't even type it but if we carry on like we are doing, why not? It's incredible to think where Hilly has took us in what's just over eighteen months in charge.
how far can this team go? on 08:44 - Sep 21 with 3038 viewsPDIDDY

Don't go up FFs

Gissa job

how far can this team go? on 09:07 - Sep 21 with 2969 viewsDaley_Lama

how far can this team go? on 08:44 - Sep 21 by PDIDDY

Don't go up FFs

This thread should be set to a background music of Subo singing 'I dreamed a dream' whilest Alan Hansen mentions not winning with kids.

Our upturn in form has coincided with Logan and O'Connell joining on loan and on such things our fate is made.

As long as we stuff Notts C, i don't care where we end up. And Oldham. Oh, Barnsley too. MK Dons would be nice also. Preston deffo. Bradford without a doubt.

Sod it, there's plenty of reasons to leave this division, might as well go the right way.

Ps Disclaimers part 94, my 'expectations are managed' and anything above 21st would be a decent season.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2014 9:07]

Poll: DF in or out

how far can this team go? on 09:23 - Sep 21 with 2925 viewsRespectTheChemistry

I think we've shown enough to be able to say we're capable of more than just competing in this division and (provided we don't lose any key personnel) the play-offs are definitely achievable. The table's very tight with only 3 points separating us and 17th. I think we'll have a much better idea after another 9 games.

I'm fearful as to how we'd fare in the Championship but it'd be fantastic to have a go.
how far can this team go? on 09:27 - Sep 21 with 2906 viewsrichfoad32

Without wishing to get carried away, I've seen nothing in this division to frighten me so far and I think a top half finish with an outside shot at the playoffs is more than achievable. To expect more in our first season back is still a bit unrealistic for me, but provided we can keep this group together I think we can really kick on next season.

The only thing that can derail this for me is when other clubs with larger budgets inevitably start casting envious glances at our players......A lot of them are in their prime or haven't even reached it yet, we may be in a position where we're not forced to sell but in the end for a club of our size, money talks. Fortunately, as Tanser has shown, there are those knocking on the first team door ready to step in and make any transition relatively seamless. Keeping hold of O'Connell in January is pivotal for me as well, he plays with a maturity beyond his years. These are brilliant times for our football club and it's a pleasure to be part of them.

There will also be chairmen who've noticed the job Hilly is doing again on a tight budget as well.......Keith might not be so quick to jump at any job offers to come his way this time but he's ambitious and the time will come when we part ways again. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
how far can this team go? on 09:27 - Sep 21 with 2907 viewsThe_DJ

how far can this team go? on 09:07 - Sep 21 by Daley_Lama

This thread should be set to a background music of Subo singing 'I dreamed a dream' whilest Alan Hansen mentions not winning with kids.

Our upturn in form has coincided with Logan and O'Connell joining on loan and on such things our fate is made.

As long as we stuff Notts C, i don't care where we end up. And Oldham. Oh, Barnsley too. MK Dons would be nice also. Preston deffo. Bradford without a doubt.

Sod it, there's plenty of reasons to leave this division, might as well go the right way.

Ps Disclaimers part 94, my 'expectations are managed' and anything above 21st would be a decent season.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2014 9:07]

Sorting out the defence has allowed our creatIve players to express themselves.

The now fit Dawson has also given the back four a shield and his contributions have been immense.

Hill was beaming at the end and will probably see yesterday as a fantastic achievement in terms of sticking in the game when they were on top in the first half and taking the play to Coventry in the 2nd half.

Allen's progress will not go unnoticed by higher Division Clubs.

Don't think we could have dreamed of 13 points already.
how far can this team go? on 09:33 - Sep 21 with 2883 viewsSaxonDale

I think we all need to make Blackburn our second club. If we can extend O'Connell's loan in January then I think we have every reason to be optimistic.
how far can this team go? on 10:13 - Sep 21 with 2772 viewsSuddenLad

how far can this team go? on 09:27 - Sep 21 by richfoad32

Without wishing to get carried away, I've seen nothing in this division to frighten me so far and I think a top half finish with an outside shot at the playoffs is more than achievable. To expect more in our first season back is still a bit unrealistic for me, but provided we can keep this group together I think we can really kick on next season.

The only thing that can derail this for me is when other clubs with larger budgets inevitably start casting envious glances at our players......A lot of them are in their prime or haven't even reached it yet, we may be in a position where we're not forced to sell but in the end for a club of our size, money talks. Fortunately, as Tanser has shown, there are those knocking on the first team door ready to step in and make any transition relatively seamless. Keeping hold of O'Connell in January is pivotal for me as well, he plays with a maturity beyond his years. These are brilliant times for our football club and it's a pleasure to be part of them.

There will also be chairmen who've noticed the job Hilly is doing again on a tight budget as well.......Keith might not be so quick to jump at any job offers to come his way this time but he's ambitious and the time will come when we part ways again. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Yes, Hilly is ambitious and rightly so. That said, if he aspires to Championship football as he did previously, then there's no reason why he can't achieve that by staying exactly where he is.

It will be better to ACHIEVE Championship football with 'little old' Rochdale than to be parachuted in somewhere else because a previous incumbent has failed. Then comes the prospect of getting rid of the aged, feckless and incompetent players to recruit new ones and we can all guess where his first port of call might be for some 'young and upcoming players'

He can take this team with him, they can achieve it together. He has time to recruit and/or develop the players necessary to achieve that. Doing that will give him more pleasure, I'm
sure.

He will enhance his reputation immeasurably if he gets us up there. Far more than any other manager at any other club would do.

I would say to Keith Hill, stop here and let's all go there together. Enjoy the ride, to use his own phrase.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

how far can this team go? on 10:33 - Sep 21 with 2717 viewsAlexF

early days yet, and doubtless injuries and suspension will hit us hard. But you do really really have to hand it to Hill, super talented guy. On 16 August he said:

"It's very difficult to dissect the game - there's no point sometimes because you can hurt what is already, at this point, a very fragile changing room."

On 30th August he said:
"We've got to stick to the plan, we've got to back ourselves, we've got to be brave and hopefully the corner will turn."

yet here we are so soon after are with a confident competent team, highly motivated and from the look of it pretty competitive in this league.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2014 10:34]
Login to get fewer ads

how far can this team go? on 10:34 - Sep 21 with 2714 viewsDaleaholic

I think we'll get get promoted automatically. We're that good.

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

how far can this team go? on 11:16 - Sep 21 with 2614 viewsaleanddale

Retaining O Connnell for the remainder of the seaon would be a masterstroke.

Blackburn must have 3 ( assuming one on the bench ) very talented centre halves!! Long may they keep on winning.

Keeping the likes of Jamie Allen is also key for me but surely this kid is destined for the championship minimum. He will move to a bigger stage eventually i just love watching him play.

How far can this team go? well they look to be in a really nice groove at the moment but the division is a tough one. Top half will do me very nicely and if we get an added bonus of a late play off run after Easter i would be in dream land.

Long may we keep under the radar its much easier when sides rock up and are taken by suprise at the high tempo of our play.

2 subbed for cov yesterday at half time tells its own story.

Up the Dale.
how far can this team go? on 11:40 - Sep 21 with 2560 viewsRAFCBLUE

Far too premature Col and far too much too soon will kill the best line of talent this club has ever had.

A promotion to Championship football would mean one thing. Relegation after one season and then the dissection of this squad on a combination of Bosman free transfers and selling up the football pyramid. For the manager too having a relegation on his CV (something he doesn't currently) would hurt him and this club to the point I think we would end up where the finances dictate we should - in a bottom professional division, solvent, well run and with decent infrastructure for tier four.

In an ideal situation we would get there in five years, through a measured combination of selling the inevitable one young star a season, banking that cash and reinvesting in and retaining ten others who can and will make it at this club alongside infrastructure like the ground that goes to putting the club on an even further footing than it is now.

The targets therefore have to be to get the best value from everything that we do and give it to a man who lives ten miles up the road, has a young son who thinks the world of his dad and has brought as much success to this club in 7 years than the previous 100 combined. Hill can have another ten years of success at this club, earn a good living and live and work close to home. How many people would want that.

50 points, 20th place or higher and more games watching this beautiful passing football from a team of lads who have grown (and are still growing up) at this club.

That will do for me for another two years at least and enjoy watching the former Premier League giants like Barnsley, Coventry and Sheffield Utd worry about why they are having to play at Spotland.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

how far can this team go? on 11:58 - Sep 21 with 2517 viewsSuddenLad

Bloody hell, Premiership Giants - Barnsley. Whitey will have a lazy lob reading that.

Then he will remember that it's Keefs fault that they aren't in the Premiership any more and everything will be OK.

God knows what the Tykes board has been like since defeat at Vale Park.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

how far can this team go? on 13:05 - Sep 21 with 2423 viewsD_Alien

how far can this team go? on 11:40 - Sep 21 by RAFCBLUE

Far too premature Col and far too much too soon will kill the best line of talent this club has ever had.

A promotion to Championship football would mean one thing. Relegation after one season and then the dissection of this squad on a combination of Bosman free transfers and selling up the football pyramid. For the manager too having a relegation on his CV (something he doesn't currently) would hurt him and this club to the point I think we would end up where the finances dictate we should - in a bottom professional division, solvent, well run and with decent infrastructure for tier four.

In an ideal situation we would get there in five years, through a measured combination of selling the inevitable one young star a season, banking that cash and reinvesting in and retaining ten others who can and will make it at this club alongside infrastructure like the ground that goes to putting the club on an even further footing than it is now.

The targets therefore have to be to get the best value from everything that we do and give it to a man who lives ten miles up the road, has a young son who thinks the world of his dad and has brought as much success to this club in 7 years than the previous 100 combined. Hill can have another ten years of success at this club, earn a good living and live and work close to home. How many people would want that.

50 points, 20th place or higher and more games watching this beautiful passing football from a team of lads who have grown (and are still growing up) at this club.

That will do for me for another two years at least and enjoy watching the former Premier League giants like Barnsley, Coventry and Sheffield Utd worry about why they are having to play at Spotland.

Whilst I'd tend to agree with the overall tone of what you're saying, what's KH supposed to do if we keep on winning games? Drop our best players? Tell them to take their foot off the gas?

There's a saying that if you're not moving forwards, you'll start moving backwards and it's as true in football as anywhere else. When KH took over again, most of us were thinking it'd take him 3 or 4 years to build another squad capable of promotion from the debris he inherited from Eyre/Coleman. Who's to say that with the youngsters we've got coming through the production line (which gives even KH the WOW feeling) that IF we made it into the championship they'd not be good enough, with some judicious experienced players like Dawson added to the mix, to hold their own there?

My own feeling is we'll finish just outside the playoffs this year, in either 7th or 8th place, thus bettering our best ever finish in the clubs history. There will be many twists and turns, but we're already looking good value for 7th!

[Post edited 21 Sep 2014 13:33]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

how far can this team go? on 13:34 - Sep 21 with 2356 views100notout

Good points on both sides by Col and RAFCBLUE.

Not changed my view since before the season started, I think we'll be challenging for the playoffs but may ultimately fall just short. If we may make the playoffs or more then brilliant.

What will be will be - I'm just really really really enjoying the ride.

UP THE DALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

how far can this team go? on 14:10 - Sep 21 with 2277 viewsolympicdale

Certainly capable of sustaining a top half finish, anything else a huge bonus.

Life is a game of fate.

how far can this team go? on 14:21 - Sep 21 with 2226 viewsPDIDDY

how far can this team go? on 11:58 - Sep 21 by SuddenLad

Bloody hell, Premiership Giants - Barnsley. Whitey will have a lazy lob reading that.

Then he will remember that it's Keefs fault that they aren't in the Premiership any more and everything will be OK.

God knows what the Tykes board has been like since defeat at Vale Park.

Let's expect a 3 pager from sh itey in response

Gissa job

how far can this team go? on 14:39 - Sep 21 with 2172 viewsolympicdale

how far can this team go? on 11:40 - Sep 21 by RAFCBLUE

"A promotion to Championship football would mean one thing. Relegation after one season and then the dissection of this squad on a combination of Bosman free transfers and selling up the football pyramid."

wow aren't you Mr positive, is that the first thought you'd have if we made it to the Championship. Who's to say the team couldn't make a good fist of it and stay up, and if this ever came to fruition I wouldn't give a fook, to be playing at that level would be incredible. You can't say we'll go up in 5 years and be more ready, you just have to roll with it and live in the present. Rochdale spent decades declaring they were not ready for promotion or success of any kind, you only know if you're ready when it happens.

Life is a game of fate.

how far can this team go? on 16:02 - Sep 21 with 2079 viewspaulscho

From game to game,keep our heads and just keep reaching Every winning post that Hilly puts in front of them ,stay in L1,and keep our manager and our very good prospects and unfortunately when the good offers come in for such as Scotty T and Jamie and Batsian they will be sold ,that's how it is . We must just stay grounded and work from week to week ,every point is a prisoner .
Up the Dale

livinginadalewonderland

how far can this team go? on 18:14 - Sep 21 with 1948 viewsboromat

We're doing great but I don't want to get carried away things in football can change very quickly. We've got loads to look forward with this squad and the youngsters coming through. The season is still very early and we have to aim to win the league or what's the point? Realistically we will all be happy enough with just staying up however with the performances we're currently witnessing anything is possible. My personal hope is that we can improve on our highest ever finish in the FL.

Exciting times!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

how far can this team go? on 20:11 - Sep 21 with 1831 viewssweetcorn

I said at the start of the season this team with the right additions (a centre half and a striker) could make the play-offs if we had a good run and built confidence.

We addressed the centre half with Jack O'connell, who is just unbelievable and the striker situation by deciding we'll give our left back a run up front who hasn't looked back since. We also added the much needed experience with Daws and TK and now look like a top league one side. I'd be ecstatic to finish 20th and above, the play-offs would just be an unimaginable experience.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

how far can this team go? on 09:15 - Sep 22 with 1560 viewsBazzanne

Having been a supporter for 66 years and now 73 yo, is it possible I may see Dale in the championship before I drop off the twig? Here's Hoping. Let's be positive, there is too much negativity amongst Dale supporters.
how far can this team go? on 11:08 - Sep 22 with 1448 viewstazzydjr

My gut feeling keep's telling me prepare for Wembley League One Play Off Final, My prediction at beginning of the Season is 5th then cause an upset & imitate what Rotherham Utd did last season as the underdog's

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

how far can this team go? on 11:20 - Sep 22 with 1439 viewsdingdangblue

how far can this team go? on 11:08 - Sep 22 by tazzydjr

My gut feeling keep's telling me prepare for Wembley League One Play Off Final, My prediction at beginning of the Season is 5th then cause an upset & imitate what Rotherham Utd did last season as the underdog's

It would be the most amazing achievement ever if we progressed to the next level. I know what you are saying about Rotherham but even they spent far more money than we ever will and had crowds between 7500 - 9000.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

how far can this team go? on 14:26 - Sep 22 with 1290 viewsMorden

how far can this team go? on 14:39 - Sep 21 by olympicdale

"A promotion to Championship football would mean one thing. Relegation after one season and then the dissection of this squad on a combination of Bosman free transfers and selling up the football pyramid."

wow aren't you Mr positive, is that the first thought you'd have if we made it to the Championship. Who's to say the team couldn't make a good fist of it and stay up, and if this ever came to fruition I wouldn't give a fook, to be playing at that level would be incredible. You can't say we'll go up in 5 years and be more ready, you just have to roll with it and live in the present. Rochdale spent decades declaring they were not ready for promotion or success of any kind, you only know if you're ready when it happens.

Sad I know, but I'm sort-of with Mr Positive. I fear the Twang more than anything else. You know; the situation you get when you are promoted beyond what your resources can sustain. Then when the inevitable happens (Keith and the better players leave), you can't attract adequate replacements because you can't afford the salaries that adequate replacements would demand; and TWANG down you go. Lower than you start off because the replacements you brought in are being paid 3rd tier salaries who then cba playing for a 4th tier club. And the manager who replaced Keith will need paying off too when he (or she, if it's Hope Powell) is found wanting. Meaning less money for etc, etc...

This happened to Stockport. This nearly happened to us.

My hope is that the club is identifying candidates who could step up to the plate for the next post-Hill period. Or be readying Chris Beech for a proper go
how far can this team go? on 14:34 - Sep 22 with 1275 viewsScunnydale

how far can this team go? on 14:26 - Sep 22 by Morden

Sad I know, but I'm sort-of with Mr Positive. I fear the Twang more than anything else. You know; the situation you get when you are promoted beyond what your resources can sustain. Then when the inevitable happens (Keith and the better players leave), you can't attract adequate replacements because you can't afford the salaries that adequate replacements would demand; and TWANG down you go. Lower than you start off because the replacements you brought in are being paid 3rd tier salaries who then cba playing for a 4th tier club. And the manager who replaced Keith will need paying off too when he (or she, if it's Hope Powell) is found wanting. Meaning less money for etc, etc...

This happened to Stockport. This nearly happened to us.

My hope is that the club is identifying candidates who could step up to the plate for the next post-Hill period. Or be readying Chris Beech for a proper go

My head agrees with this.

My heart, however, says "go on, let's have a go". As long as we didn't go balls out for the Championship and mess with our budget. If we just happened to get promoted while budgeting for 20th place, then why not! Dale in the second tier is not something I ever thought I'd see. Even if it was just for a year, it'd be a hell of a year.

I know we'd more than likely get relegated straight away, and there'd be the inevitable fallout.

However, if we had to choose between being a solid L1/L2 team or a sh** or bust Championship/non-league team, I'd go for the former all the time.

I'm also very uncomfortable talking of the "p" word this season. I think we're all agreed that 20th or above would do us, so we're not really tweaking any deity's nipples, just dreaming!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024