Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Ever There Was A Time 20:01 - Sep 27 with 13431 viewsrochedale

It must be now... that we actually invest in some serious professional quality marketing of our club. It's been said a million times the fact that the internal branding/marketing of our club leaves a lot to be desired. If it was ever worth spending a few quid, surely its now!

What a great season it is so far, long may it continue!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:11 - Sep 27 with 7068 viewsYouTubeDale

Surely, we are on the edge of glory...

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:25 - Sep 27 with 6993 viewsdingdangblue

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:11 - Sep 27 by YouTubeDale

Surely, we are on the edge of glory...

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

If Ever There Was A Time on 23:24 - Sep 27 with 6722 viewsFrog

We don't need to do anything, just enjoy!
If Ever There Was A Time on 02:23 - Sep 28 with 6536 viewspioneer

nah, just sit on our behinds, hope more people show up and if they dont, blame them and pull out the 'little rochdale' phrase again
If Ever There Was A Time on 07:23 - Sep 28 with 6455 viewsBartRowou

If Ever There Was A Time on 23:24 - Sep 27 by Frog

You are joking, right?

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

If Ever There Was A Time on 09:39 - Sep 28 with 6296 viewsisitme

I actually thought the promotion of the offers for the Walsall game was done well. It is so difficult to change the apathy towards the football club by most people in the town.

At the gym last Saturday I was talking to a City fan who goes to about two games a season. I joked with him about going to watch a proper team, to which he said it is too expensive. His mate then chirped and said that the problem with watching Rochdale is that you don't know if they are going to win 4-0 or lose 4-0. The thing with many armchair City and United fans are that they are not interested in watching football, just watching wins. They have no attachment to seeing young players develop or to watching Rochdale battle against supposed 'big teams' and on occasions come out on top. They do not care about being able to say I was there when Bennett scored a wonder goal against York.

I and others have said before and will say it again. You could offer free admission on a Tuesday night when Champions' League games are on TV and we would not get more than 3,500 for most opposition.
If Ever There Was A Time on 09:53 - Sep 28 with 6273 viewsBartRowou

If Ever There Was A Time on 09:39 - Sep 28 by isitme

I actually thought the promotion of the offers for the Walsall game was done well. It is so difficult to change the apathy towards the football club by most people in the town.

At the gym last Saturday I was talking to a City fan who goes to about two games a season. I joked with him about going to watch a proper team, to which he said it is too expensive. His mate then chirped and said that the problem with watching Rochdale is that you don't know if they are going to win 4-0 or lose 4-0. The thing with many armchair City and United fans are that they are not interested in watching football, just watching wins. They have no attachment to seeing young players develop or to watching Rochdale battle against supposed 'big teams' and on occasions come out on top. They do not care about being able to say I was there when Bennett scored a wonder goal against York.

I and others have said before and will say it again. You could offer free admission on a Tuesday night when Champions' League games are on TV and we would not get more than 3,500 for most opposition.

Is this the death of imagination?

Orient averaged 5 and half thousand last year. I'm sure they have similar glory-seeking fans in their catchment area. Latics got 4 and a half and will have the same problem.

When I see the same people walk on the pitch every home game to kick a ball at the crossbar in the hope of winning a joinery voucher, then I know we can try a bit harder. We need to think outside the box not on the edge of it.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:00 - Sep 28 with 6257 viewsisitme

If Ever There Was A Time on 09:53 - Sep 28 by BartRowou

Orient averaged 5 and half thousand last year. I'm sure they have similar glory-seeking fans in their catchment area. Latics got 4 and a half and will have the same problem.

When I see the same people walk on the pitch every home game to kick a ball at the crossbar in the hope of winning a joinery voucher, then I know we can try a bit harder. We need to think outside the box not on the edge of it.

Maybe just realism?

Go on then what is your magic trick to turn around the town's apathy? I would love us to attract much higher crowds but the town is not interested.
Login to get fewer ads

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:07 - Sep 28 with 6227 views442Dale

The promotion of the game can only be judged when the analysis of the offers is made. How many junior teams turned up? Did they enjoy it? Did they know about the chance to win a signed shirt? What is being done to attract them again?
How many ST holders used their vouchers? Who did they buy them for? Were the fans who didn't use them contacted and asked why? Will another game be identified so that the unused vouchers are being used to bring someone who might not usually attend?

The promotion was fine on an individual game basis, and if it's part of an easy to implement, ongoing plan then it was a good start.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:15 - Sep 28 with 6217 viewsrobbowood

If Ever There Was A Time on 09:53 - Sep 28 by BartRowou

If we gave free admission for every home league match tell us, in all honesty, how many home fans you think would turn up

I doubt if it would be much over 3000 if we were in the top half of the table and if we were in the bottom four it would be less

Sadly the vast majority of people in Rochdale are not interested in watching football at this level - and those who are support other teams in the area or instead will only watch football on TV (and have no intention of watching a game live)
If Ever There Was A Time on 10:21 - Sep 28 with 6194 viewsjohndale

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:15 - Sep 28 by robbowood

If we gave free admission for every home league match tell us, in all honesty, how many home fans you think would turn up

I doubt if it would be much over 3000 if we were in the top half of the table and if we were in the bottom four it would be less

Sadly the vast majority of people in Rochdale are not interested in watching football at this level - and those who are support other teams in the area or instead will only watch football on TV (and have no intention of watching a game live)

We need to open one of the empty shops in the town centre and ask the council not to charge business rates. Only real fans will trek to spotland to buy tickets etc. I also think the online shopping could do with an revamp.
If Ever There Was A Time on 10:31 - Sep 28 with 6167 viewsTVOS1907

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:07 - Sep 28 by 442Dale

The promotion of the game can only be judged when the analysis of the offers is made. How many junior teams turned up? Did they enjoy it? Did they know about the chance to win a signed shirt? What is being done to attract them again?
How many ST holders used their vouchers? Who did they buy them for? Were the fans who didn't use them contacted and asked why? Will another game be identified so that the unused vouchers are being used to bring someone who might not usually attend?

The promotion was fine on an individual game basis, and if it's part of an easy to implement, ongoing plan then it was a good start.

And, as I asked at the time, why is the £5 voucher restricted to just one midweek game in September? It makes no sense at all.

The fact there were 1800 Dale fans in the ground tells me hardly any were used. I know I still have mine.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 10:45]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:37 - Sep 28 with 6135 viewsTVOS1907

But this thread isn't just about midweek games.

You're right, the town is apathetic and while we can all comment and opine on that, it's not something the club should be thinking as it's surely in their best interests to keep trying and keep working hard to get more people to games. Just giving up is not an option.

There's a saying about fixing a hole in the roof and another one about making hay. I think they are what rochedale means.

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:40 - Sep 28 with 6123 viewspioneer

marketing is on ongoing activity which should have been started as soon as we got promotion. its not something you start doing a week or so before a low key tuesday night game against an unattractive opponent and then the folks in town dont care so why bother.
If Ever There Was A Time on 11:05 - Sep 28 with 6064 viewsDaley_Lama

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:40 - Sep 28 by pioneer

marketing is on ongoing activity which should have been started as soon as we got promotion. its not something you start doing a week or so before a low key tuesday night game against an unattractive opponent and then the folks in town dont care so why bother.

This may sound really silly, but anybody out there with car flags, get them on your car.

It's visual, it psychologically makes people think of special times and subliminally make people think about how terribly exciting football can be.

If that doesn't work, get #bringthenoise from every mosque and church tannoy.

Poll: DF in or out

If Ever There Was A Time on 11:38 - Sep 28 with 6013 viewsisitme

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:37 - Sep 28 by TVOS1907

But this thread isn't just about midweek games.

You're right, the town is apathetic and while we can all comment and opine on that, it's not something the club should be thinking as it's surely in their best interests to keep trying and keep working hard to get more people to games. Just giving up is not an option.

There's a saying about fixing a hole in the roof and another one about making hay. I think they are what rochedale means.

If only a group could be set up to come up with good ideas to promote the club in the local community?

In many industries their sales staff are heavily dependent on commission for their wage. Could our sales and marketing manager have their remuneration package structured so that increases in business and attendances would see them benefit financially?
If Ever There Was A Time on 11:58 - Sep 28 with 5977 viewsashes

With regards to the vouchers. I offer them to friends and none have been taken up. The last two times we couldn't get to home games I couldn't even give my season tickets away! Its the same lame excuses every time. Yet they don't watch live football, its all on TV and on the rare occasions MU play on a Saturday afternoon they watch on an illegal feed in a pub.
If Ever There Was A Time on 12:48 - Sep 28 with 5914 viewsTVOS1907

If Ever There Was A Time on 11:38 - Sep 28 by isitme

If only a group could be set up to come up with good ideas to promote the club in the local community?

In many industries their sales staff are heavily dependent on commission for their wage. Could our sales and marketing manager have their remuneration package structured so that increases in business and attendances would see them benefit financially?

You mean a group run by volunteers?

If Ever There Was A Time on 13:06 - Sep 28 with 5873 viewsisitme

If Ever There Was A Time on 12:48 - Sep 28 by TVOS1907

You mean a group run by volunteers?

One working with the club to assist the marketing experts? Sounds like a really good idea.
If Ever There Was A Time on 14:50 - Sep 28 with 5729 viewsolympicdale

If Ever There Was A Time on 23:24 - Sep 27 by Frog

the first part of that post is the motto of the town in general..

Its been said time and time again, we missed a massive marketing opportunity in the centenary season, I don't see why this would change now. Many fans, i am sure, have volunteered to help for the love of the club in the past, the club are missing out on a diversity of knowledge, but it shouldn't come down to that, the right people need to be employed to be able to market them properly in the first place.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 14:54]

Life is a game of fate.

If Ever There Was A Time on 15:10 - Sep 28 with 5688 viewsFrog

If Ever There Was A Time on 14:50 - Sep 28 by olympicdale

the first part of that post is the motto of the town in general..

Its been said time and time again, we missed a massive marketing opportunity in the centenary season, I don't see why this would change now. Many fans, i am sure, have volunteered to help for the love of the club in the past, the club are missing out on a diversity of knowledge, but it shouldn't come down to that, the right people need to be employed to be able to market them properly in the first place.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 14:54]

I think it's a case of the hardened supporters will always be there, this is still the old third division so not so glamorous to the outsider. If the unimaginable happens and we go up again then gates would go up, but I've no idea by how much.
If Ever There Was A Time on 15:12 - Sep 28 with 5679 viewsbazingadale

The support Is there as the gates for the FA cup show last season. It's a matter of how we get those extras back every week
If Ever There Was A Time on 15:14 - Sep 28 with 5676 viewsolympicdale

If Ever There Was A Time on 15:10 - Sep 28 by Frog

I think it's a case of the hardened supporters will always be there, this is still the old third division so not so glamorous to the outsider. If the unimaginable happens and we go up again then gates would go up, but I've no idea by how much.

The fact is, a professional club should not need to be told to market themselves, it should be an ongoing thing behind the scenes, unfortunately very little evidence is ever visible that this is happening.

Life is a game of fate.

If Ever There Was A Time on 15:27 - Sep 28 with 5644 viewsFrog

If Ever There Was A Time on 15:14 - Sep 28 by olympicdale

The fact is, a professional club should not need to be told to market themselves, it should be an ongoing thing behind the scenes, unfortunately very little evidence is ever visible that this is happening.

Agree completely, just not convinced it will make much difference. It should be tried though.
If Ever There Was A Time on 15:51 - Sep 28 with 5602 views442Dale

If Ever There Was A Time on 15:12 - Sep 28 by bazingadale

The support Is there as the gates for the FA cup show last season. It's a matter of how we get those extras back every week

Which was discussed on here in great length at the time from the moment we drew Leeds. If we could have got even half of those extra 2500 or so fans to attend 3-5 games a season then we'd be halfway there. That has to be an achievable aim, but who were those extra fans and what was and has been done since to target them specifically?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024