Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept 09:17 - Oct 19 with 1415 viewsborntogo

In isolation, yesterday's game wouldn't be so bad. We played well, we made lots of chances, we were unlucky. Unfortunately, we have played this same game with the same outcome numerous times this season at home. It was obvious weeks ago that the plan wasn't working - you can't play three holding midfielders and no recognised striker and hope to break down teams.

We don't get enough midfielders into the box. Look at the ratios. Gillingham moved the ball to our penalty area about three times and scored once. We were in theirs about 30 for the same outcome. The only midfielder who is genuinely happy to push on and play from the front foot is Bastien Hery. Clearly Hill doesn't rate Hery as much as the other midfielders at the club. He is the first to be dropped or substituted every time. This may well have a negative effect on a lad who plays with such exuberance. While Hery suffers this fate, others, such as Henderson, who has been on poor form all season, remain fixed into the team.

I know we're all meant to be right proper pleased that we're now in League One but it's so frustrating seeing us nearly make it when a few tweaks would see us do very, very well in a relatively mediocre division.

Our current home form is two wins in nine matches and although Hill has a moan and sulk whenever he detects restlessness among the faithful, it's perfectly justified on this occasion. We all want to see a different match. Where we score. And win.
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 13:48 - Oct 19 with 1237 viewsD_Alien

You're right.

It's been posted on here within the last few weeks that some would be happy to watch us lose whilst we play the ball around the back and midfield with most passes finding a Dale shirt.

I guess after watching 10/20/30/40 years (whenever you started) of watching our defenders and midfield barely knowing what a football looked like, it's impressive.

But we could, and quite frankly should, be getting better home results for the type of play we're capable of. I agree that Hery is key to this. He was the difference against Coventry when he found himself one-on-one with the keeper. His penetrating runs and ability to find space in tight areas means he keeps the opposition guessing rather than able to predict what we're going to do. My guess is, he's got a quirky personality and there's only room for one quirky personality at the club, KH; who I think is just fantastic for the Dale but has a problem accommodating other personalities. That's also why he reacts so badly to fans who also happen to have personalities, some of whom may even express them during the game.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 08:03 - Oct 20 with 1017 viewsaleanddale

Agree with a lot of the OP but the Hendo opinion i cant agree with.

The problem is his normal high standards are stratospeheric so when he has a middling game he gets singled out.

slightly off the boil maybe but class is permanant so i can see why he is the first name on the team sheet week in week out.

The heartbeat and talisman. He will be back to his very high standard before we know it.
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 09:21 - Oct 20 with 973 viewsirisaln

Well said sir.

I thought it was only myself that held this view.

We could all see it happening on Saturday. We had read the script. We've seen it all before.

K.H. will not only put on the wrong subs, he will not sub soon enough!
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 10:49 - Oct 20 with 902 viewsborntogo

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 09:21 - Oct 20 by irisaln

Well said sir.

I thought it was only myself that held this view.

We could all see it happening on Saturday. We had read the script. We've seen it all before.

K.H. will not only put on the wrong subs, he will not sub soon enough!

The love-in with Hendo has to stop. He was excellent last season, both in terms of work-rate and those touches of magic/class. I fear, however, that he has been found out in League One. He is, of course, quick of brain but his lack of pace in a faster, technically-superior division has seen him marginalised in most games.

He needs to feel some of the heat (being 'rested' or substituted) that has been unfairly blasted at Hery, to re-focus his game. It seems to have worked well with Rose who gave an admirable display on Saturday.

I can appreciate Henderson is a confidence player which might negate the effect of leaving him out of the team, and is capable of sublime skill at times but we have as good as carried him lately, especially at home where his contribution has been minimal.
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 11:41 - Oct 20 with 855 viewsdingdangblue

I think Saturdays game was the 1st time this season that it hit home how we haven't been able to replace Scott Hogan. If we had him fit and playing against Gillingham the game would have been over at half time. Now I know we don't spend money on transfers as such but there must be some top class players out there available to loan - other teams get them and we have had them in the past - Le Fondre, Murray, Rhodes, O'Grady, Grant. If you take out the Walsall home league game our goals scored looks very ordinary at Spotland: Peterborough 0, Preston 0, Bristol 1, Bradford 0, Coventry 1 (penalty), Barnsley 0, Walsall 0, Gillingham 1. 8 games 3 goals.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 11:43 - Oct 20 with 854 viewsaleanddale

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 10:49 - Oct 20 by borntogo

The love-in with Hendo has to stop. He was excellent last season, both in terms of work-rate and those touches of magic/class. I fear, however, that he has been found out in League One. He is, of course, quick of brain but his lack of pace in a faster, technically-superior division has seen him marginalised in most games.

He needs to feel some of the heat (being 'rested' or substituted) that has been unfairly blasted at Hery, to re-focus his game. It seems to have worked well with Rose who gave an admirable display on Saturday.

I can appreciate Henderson is a confidence player which might negate the effect of leaving him out of the team, and is capable of sublime skill at times but we have as good as carried him lately, especially at home where his contribution has been minimal.

The love in is because he has been the classiest player to grace Spotland in recent years.

I aknowledge he may have been slightly off the boil but his commitment vison and awareness is still there in spades plus his exeperience is vital in this young side.

Hendo at 90% is still influencing enough on the pitch for me.

All about opinions though and good to chat but to say he has been carried the last few home games beggars belief IMHO.
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 11:48 - Oct 20 with 852 viewsDaley_Lama

Strikers are notoriously hard to find.

Equally, teams are far less expansive at Spotland, some appear to settle for a draw before a ball is kicked (Barnsley) some scrape a draw (Gills)

Hilly has recognised our striking role needs strengthening, Georgie D gone, Fenelon in and gone but equally Done has been on fire (away from home) and Muldoon has just returned from injury.

As we saw with Fenelon, parachuting another player in is not necessarily the answer.

As previously posted, I will worry when we aren't creating chances for us to fluff, as it is, we are great to watch, play with confidence and I'm a happy chappy come what may

p.s. Hendo is sublime to watch, can do the ridiculous, a player on his day that you could say is worth the entrance fee and for me should only be out of the team if his leg is broken in 16 places.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2014 11:50]

Poll: DF in or out

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 12:01 - Oct 20 with 836 viewsdingdangblue

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 11:48 - Oct 20 by Daley_Lama

Strikers are notoriously hard to find.

Equally, teams are far less expansive at Spotland, some appear to settle for a draw before a ball is kicked (Barnsley) some scrape a draw (Gills)

Hilly has recognised our striking role needs strengthening, Georgie D gone, Fenelon in and gone but equally Done has been on fire (away from home) and Muldoon has just returned from injury.

As we saw with Fenelon, parachuting another player in is not necessarily the answer.

As previously posted, I will worry when we aren't creating chances for us to fluff, as it is, we are great to watch, play with confidence and I'm a happy chappy come what may

p.s. Hendo is sublime to watch, can do the ridiculous, a player on his day that you could say is worth the entrance fee and for me should only be out of the team if his leg is broken in 16 places.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2014 11:50]

I don't think Fenelon was ever the answer - but with squad sizes these days there must be lots of goal scorers out there not playing at the moment who need game time.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 12:08 - Oct 20 with 829 viewstazzydjr

We need to bring back Scott Spencer & Him do a Hogan weren't they both in the same youth team?

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 12:32 - Oct 20 with 785 viewsYouTubeDale

Agreed, we don't get enough players in the box. I want our midfield players to position themselves in the box rather than just outside - being attacking rather than defensive. I am sure we would score more.
I see Muldoon being very profitable if he spends a lot of time in the box. He knows where the goal is and he is a natural finisher.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 13:13 - Oct 20 with 740 viewsnordenblue

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 12:08 - Oct 20 by tazzydjr

We need to bring back Scott Spencer & Him do a Hogan weren't they both in the same youth team?

Spencer is at the right level now, we'd be better off with Frank
[Post edited 20 Oct 2014 14:27]
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 13:19 - Oct 20 with 728 viewsnordenblue

Wish we could carry another 10 players as poor as Hendo, we'd walk this league
The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 16:19 - Oct 20 with 621 viewsD_Alien

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 12:32 - Oct 20 by YouTubeDale

Agreed, we don't get enough players in the box. I want our midfield players to position themselves in the box rather than just outside - being attacking rather than defensive. I am sure we would score more.
I see Muldoon being very profitable if he spends a lot of time in the box. He knows where the goal is and he is a natural finisher.

This is pretty much the point - about attacking midfielders playing at home.

Of course, I'm a big advocate of Hery, but playing a Rose/Dawson/Allen combo with Lund also sidelined almost guaranteed we wouldn't have anyone running into the box from deep. That's fine away but not when visiting teams are set up to defend.

The point about creating chances is getting players who can finish on the end of them. Vincenti shouldn't have been the only one making those runs. Allen can finish but never got into the box.

Still, some people are happy clappy, so i guess that's all that matters.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The morning after the afternoon before, haven't-we-been-here-before dept on 17:50 - Oct 20 with 550 viewsirisaln

My post was not about Hendo but the previous two posts.

My view re Hendo............Well I agree with you! He has not performed in league 1 as he did last season in league 2. Watch him pull out of the 50/50 tackles.

Also as others have said, Seb Hery should play along side Jamie.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024