Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lot football grounds 19:48 - Oct 19 with 1287 viewszxcvbnm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29460621

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Lot football grounds on 20:03 - Oct 19 with 1251 views442Dale

Interesting article, good spot!

For anyone who likes seeing grounds as they once were, @groundtastic on Twitter is good.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Lot football grounds on 20:19 - Oct 19 with 1228 viewsTVOS1907

Lot football grounds on 20:03 - Oct 19 by 442Dale

Interesting article, good spot!

For anyone who likes seeing grounds as they once were, @groundtastic on Twitter is good.

I never went to Ayresome Park, Roker Park or the Baseball Ground, but have been to their sites. It was odd seeing that football in that bloke's front garden at Middlesbrough.

The surrounding areas are very similar to Bramall Lane. On the cusp of the city, but with lots of terraced streets and now-derelict pubs. However, you can imagine what they were like in the heydays of those grounds.

I know R17 has ticked them all off, as well as other lost grounds, so he might pop along to give us his own memories.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Lot football grounds on 20:35 - Oct 19 with 1188 viewsnordenblue

Lot football grounds on 20:19 - Oct 19 by TVOS1907

I never went to Ayresome Park, Roker Park or the Baseball Ground, but have been to their sites. It was odd seeing that football in that bloke's front garden at Middlesbrough.

The surrounding areas are very similar to Bramall Lane. On the cusp of the city, but with lots of terraced streets and now-derelict pubs. However, you can imagine what they were like in the heydays of those grounds.

I know R17 has ticked them all off, as well as other lost grounds, so he might pop along to give us his own memories.

Fratton Park was like a trip down memory lane with the terrace houses facing you as you're walking down the steps out of the away end, a proper ground
Lot football grounds on 20:58 - Oct 19 with 1161 viewsBarryStrange

Manor Ground at Oxford in 1999 was the first time my old man let me have a beer before the game. Those of you who knew him will not be surprised I was still 15.

It was also our only away win that season in the most wonderfully batshit crazy collection of random stands and bits of stands. They don't make grounds like that anymore. Except Luton's.
Lot football grounds on 22:00 - Oct 19 with 1095 viewsPDIDDY

Lot football grounds on 20:19 - Oct 19 by TVOS1907

Did ayresome park as a kid, horrible place

Gissa job

Lot football grounds on 22:28 - Oct 19 with 1057 viewsValleySaddler

Lot football grounds on 22:00 - Oct 19 by PDIDDY

Did ayresome park as a kid, horrible place

It certainly was,went there with schoolmates circa 1980 against Villa.
Getting off the coaches you had to walk past a grave yard and loads of the buggers were hidden behind graves ready to pounce..
Locked in at the end of the game was the norm back then and the Boro fans spent a good twenty minutes charging the woodern gates to try and get at us a truly horrible experience,christ knows what would have happened if Villa had won a 3 3 draw i remember...
Roker Park was a grand old ground a proper place to watch football and for that era an excellent view for an away fan on the side and no huge fences..
The Dell like Oxford was a mish mash and an awful view for a away fan..
I have had the pleasure of a full Highbury about 57.000 in 1981 including 16,000 away fans something that would never happen now....
The Baseball ground was a tight ground and always a great atmosphere....
As already mentioned all these grounds were surrounded by houses it must have been hell for the residents back then,boarding front windows up was quite usual back then.
A good find....
Lot football grounds on 23:19 - Oct 19 with 1015 viewsmacro

Roker park was one of my favourite grounds, liked the dell and baseball too. Never did ayresome or manor ground though
Lot football grounds on 08:37 - Oct 20 with 940 viewsfermin

Went to all of those mentioned above in the late 1980s/ealy 1990s as a neutral. Others not mentioned yet are Goldstone Ground in Brighton and the Den at Millwall. Again I went to both as a neutral, but Millwall looked a bit scary if you went there as an away fan and won!

Here's a (partial) list to bring others to mind:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/index.htm

I went to all of the English ones on the lost list apart from Walsall's old ground, though I did have the chance, and Eastville in Bristol.

Not a lost ground, but I did go on the old terrace behind the goal at Molineux when the ground was falling apart and they had tiny crowds (for them). I nearly got vertigo when I came out of the tunnel in the middle of the terrace. Definitely did not stand near the nutters doing the crowd surges! Doesn't look as bad on that link above.
Login to get fewer ads

Lot football grounds on 21:25 - Oct 25 with 751 views442Dale

Part 2 from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29706200

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024