Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale's Reid v bury's Reid 14:11 - Oct 24 with 2610 viewsboromat

Sorry if this has already been posted but I haven't seen it. Dale v Bury match is mentioned. Just a little before my time. Anyone remember the battle?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29667234

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 15:21 - Oct 24 with 2495 views442Dale

It was a complete non-event. Peter Reid went off injured quite early I seem to remember.

Not one mention of the "Walsh out" chants or our gruesome away kit either.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 15:24 - Oct 24 with 2492 viewsTVOS1907

Always worth an airing:

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 15:56 - Oct 24 with 2440 viewsDaley_Lama

If memory serves me right, P Reid lasted about 15 minutes before limping off.

There was a couple of tackles on each other with people going "oooh" but that is about it.

Poll: DF in or out

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 23:49 - Oct 24 with 2253 viewsboromat

Sounds like the BBC have over cooked the story a little then. Not like them ;-).

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 07:05 - Oct 25 with 2177 viewsBartRowou

I did an interview with him for last season's programme. He mentions that game near the end...

BC: You came through the ranks as a youth team player, joining Dale in 1983. What if anything do you remember about those early days at the club?

SR: I remember the old stand. Oh my god. And the dressing rooms. The toilet used to be called the “cave.” It had no roof on it. It was practically outdoors. That’s how bad it was. You’d lie in the bath after training and there were leaves blowing in from the roof and rain coming in. Proper footy as I call it.

BC: Did you train on Spotland?

SR: We trained anywhere we could. In out and out of dog muck. In the parks. There was nowhere for us to train.

BC: Is it true that Ian Bowyer said something along the lines of “I’ve done your brother and now I’m going to do you” when Dale played Hereford?

SR: Two people have tried to say that to me. One was Vinnie Jones when we played them in the Littlewoods Cup and he didn’t manage it and I played against Ian Bowyer and he said a similar thing and he didn’t manage it but he did give me a clip round the ear. He spent the day trying to beat me.

BC: In the 86-87 season, when Eddie Gray joined, can you put your finger on what changed from the Vic Halom era and brought about the revival? Was it new manager syndrome? New players Eddie Gray brought in? Different training methods?

SR: He changed the whole philosophy of the football club. Eddie Gray was an unbelievable player but whether he managed that as a manager I’m not quite sure. He had a great influence on the players that were around the football club at the time.

BC: Did the fact that he was a famous player lift the team?

SR: Not really. He had different ideas (to Halom). Every manager sees the game in different ways. It was always going to be difficult at Rochdale because we’d had no success despite being a hard-working side. He joined in training and he still had great ability. He had Jimmy Lumsden with him so they both had the same philosophies. He did bring in some decent players as well.

BC: You were knocked out during the famous 5-3 win over Halifax in 1987. What are your memories of this, if any!?

SR: I remember being knocked out and then getting up and having the best game of my life so maybe I should have been knocked out every game! I was stuck in between that big lump (John) Bramhall and someone else. I think it was Brammy who knocked me out. He didn’t know what he was doing at the best of times!

BC: Do you have the Shoot magazine feature on you in a frame at Reid Towers?

SR: No I haven’t ******** still got it. It’s gone.

BC: I thought it was alright with pictures of you in Norden and shopping for clothes in Middleton.

SR: I used to take my dog up there (Norden) after training so they did a good spread of me up there and then they included me at my mate’s shop (in Middleton) where all the footy players used to go to get their suits. Me and Andy Thackeray had some pictures taken there.

BC: How did it feel running around with a watering can on your chest?

SR: I’m looking at a picture of myself now wearing it and it doesn’t look good!

BC: Did any opposition players give you stick for wearing it?

SR: Not me personally because I was horrible! They knew what they’d get back (if they gave me stick). In those days we could beat each other and tackle each other. To be fair we did get a bit of stick about it and quite rightly so because if I’d run out against someone with a watering can on their chest, the first thing I’d have done as a player is nail him!

BC: The 87-88 season started off so well but then there was a horrendous dip in form, including defeats at Tranmere (6-1) and Orient (8-0). Any ideas why it all went so horribly wrong?

SR: We had a few injuries which every club does now but we only had a squad of 13 or 14. It’s not like it is now where even clubs like Rochdale and Bury, and I don’t say this flippantly because I spent my career at clubs like those, have 18 or 19 players so you can cope with the injuries. I think that Eddie could have handled it better. Players lost confidence and there was a power struggle behind the scenes. There was an accumulation of things that hit us. We did start ok and everyone was quite positive and then it hit us. We weren’t sure what was happening and then there was a massive dip in form.

BC: Did you see more of Tommy Cannon on TV or at Spotland (i.e. was he an effective chairman from a player’s point of view)?

SR: I don’t know whether some people go into football clubs with their eyes wide shut, as they say. I don’t think he knew much about running a football club. Cannon and Ball were in their heyday back then and there was all the razzmatazz going on but I don’t think he understood the finances needed to run a football club. It was all a bit difficult at the time and there was a lot of turmoil at the club. You look at the club now and it’s on the right track. You see a solid football club now but it wasn’t in those days. It was a very volatile place and you didn’t know from one day to the next what was going to happen.

BC: Danny Bergara sold you on in 1988 to York. Did you want to go or was the move forced upon you for financial reasons?

SR: It was forced by the club because the club was skint. To be fair to Danny, he used to ring me every night because he was a very conscientious football manager although he was off his barnet! He wasn’t all there! His football side was magic but he’d ring me in the middle of the night at half eleven or one o’clock just talking about football. I’m not sure he wanted me to go but it was an offer the club accepted and I think they got a goalkeeper in, in exchange. I think if I’d stayed a little bit longer at Rochdale, I’d have got a better move.

BC: When you returned in 1992, did you feel like the club had moved on e.g. in terms of players, facilities (new Main Stand being built) etc?

SR: Yes. It had moved on immensely. The people who took over behind the scenes after I’d left had done a great job and it felt like a different club.

BC: Dave Sutton used to come out with some right nonsense. For example, he said that Trevor Snowden was the new Gazza. What did the players make of this? Was it just for a bit of a laugh or did it put undue pressure on certain players?

SR: You know what it’s like in the dressing room. You get different characters. The likes of me and Reevesie used to just take the **** out of the gaffer when he used to come out with things like that. We used to laugh our heads off to be fair. Sooty was a man in his own right. He was a completely different character to the other managers I played under. He was unlucky at Rochdale at times. I thought he was close to getting a decent side and winning things but he was off the radar with some of the things he said!

BC: Did you nearly get the manager’s job at Spotland in 1999 when Graham Barrow was sacked?

SR: No I didn’t. There were rumours but that’s all it was.

BC: So you weren’t approached?

SR: No. One pressman rang me and asked if I’d been asked but no. I’d have loved to have gone back though.

BC: Which of the following four teams that you played for would you love to draw in the FA Cup: Dale, Bury, York or Chester?

SR: Dale. Without a doubt.

BC: Have you got a "Who needs Cantona when we've got Shaunie Reid T-shirt?"

SR: That was funny, wasn’t it?

BC: Did you enjoy that sort of thing?

SR: I loved the fans. I loved the club. I moved to Rochdale and lived there for many years and loved it. I used to get the **** taken out of me when I used to go in the Horse and Farrier on a Saturday night after about ten o’clock and they all started singing it (Who needs Cantona…). It was part and parcel and I loved it.

BC: Finally, what was it like playing against your brother on the opening day of 1994/95 when we played Bury?

SR: It was great because we beat Bury! It was his last ever performance as a professional footballer because I did him on the touchline. He elbowed me in the face after five minutes. The ref stopped the game after twenty minutes and pulled us together and said, “What the **** is going on? You two are brothers.” He (Peter) looked at me and went, “he’s ****** getting booted” and I went, “Yeah and you’re getting it” and that’s the way we were. He went off just before half time. I went to top him on the touchline by the dugouts. He jumped over me and landed on his back and had to go off. That was his last ever game!

At the time of writing, the club that Shaun manages, Warrington Town, sit proudly at the top of the The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier »First Division North. I wished Shaun the very best from everyone at Dale in achieving his dream of getting them promoted this season.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 08:25 - Oct 25 with 2145 viewsPDIDDY

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 07:05 - Oct 25 by BartRowou

I did an interview with him for last season's programme. He mentions that game near the end...

BC: You came through the ranks as a youth team player, joining Dale in 1983. What if anything do you remember about those early days at the club?

SR: I remember the old stand. Oh my god. And the dressing rooms. The toilet used to be called the “cave.” It had no roof on it. It was practically outdoors. That’s how bad it was. You’d lie in the bath after training and there were leaves blowing in from the roof and rain coming in. Proper footy as I call it.

BC: Did you train on Spotland?

SR: We trained anywhere we could. In out and out of dog muck. In the parks. There was nowhere for us to train.

BC: Is it true that Ian Bowyer said something along the lines of “I’ve done your brother and now I’m going to do you” when Dale played Hereford?

SR: Two people have tried to say that to me. One was Vinnie Jones when we played them in the Littlewoods Cup and he didn’t manage it and I played against Ian Bowyer and he said a similar thing and he didn’t manage it but he did give me a clip round the ear. He spent the day trying to beat me.

BC: In the 86-87 season, when Eddie Gray joined, can you put your finger on what changed from the Vic Halom era and brought about the revival? Was it new manager syndrome? New players Eddie Gray brought in? Different training methods?

SR: He changed the whole philosophy of the football club. Eddie Gray was an unbelievable player but whether he managed that as a manager I’m not quite sure. He had a great influence on the players that were around the football club at the time.

BC: Did the fact that he was a famous player lift the team?

SR: Not really. He had different ideas (to Halom). Every manager sees the game in different ways. It was always going to be difficult at Rochdale because we’d had no success despite being a hard-working side. He joined in training and he still had great ability. He had Jimmy Lumsden with him so they both had the same philosophies. He did bring in some decent players as well.

BC: You were knocked out during the famous 5-3 win over Halifax in 1987. What are your memories of this, if any!?

SR: I remember being knocked out and then getting up and having the best game of my life so maybe I should have been knocked out every game! I was stuck in between that big lump (John) Bramhall and someone else. I think it was Brammy who knocked me out. He didn’t know what he was doing at the best of times!

BC: Do you have the Shoot magazine feature on you in a frame at Reid Towers?

SR: No I haven’t ******** still got it. It’s gone.

BC: I thought it was alright with pictures of you in Norden and shopping for clothes in Middleton.

SR: I used to take my dog up there (Norden) after training so they did a good spread of me up there and then they included me at my mate’s shop (in Middleton) where all the footy players used to go to get their suits. Me and Andy Thackeray had some pictures taken there.

BC: How did it feel running around with a watering can on your chest?

SR: I’m looking at a picture of myself now wearing it and it doesn’t look good!

BC: Did any opposition players give you stick for wearing it?

SR: Not me personally because I was horrible! They knew what they’d get back (if they gave me stick). In those days we could beat each other and tackle each other. To be fair we did get a bit of stick about it and quite rightly so because if I’d run out against someone with a watering can on their chest, the first thing I’d have done as a player is nail him!

BC: The 87-88 season started off so well but then there was a horrendous dip in form, including defeats at Tranmere (6-1) and Orient (8-0). Any ideas why it all went so horribly wrong?

SR: We had a few injuries which every club does now but we only had a squad of 13 or 14. It’s not like it is now where even clubs like Rochdale and Bury, and I don’t say this flippantly because I spent my career at clubs like those, have 18 or 19 players so you can cope with the injuries. I think that Eddie could have handled it better. Players lost confidence and there was a power struggle behind the scenes. There was an accumulation of things that hit us. We did start ok and everyone was quite positive and then it hit us. We weren’t sure what was happening and then there was a massive dip in form.

BC: Did you see more of Tommy Cannon on TV or at Spotland (i.e. was he an effective chairman from a player’s point of view)?

SR: I don’t know whether some people go into football clubs with their eyes wide shut, as they say. I don’t think he knew much about running a football club. Cannon and Ball were in their heyday back then and there was all the razzmatazz going on but I don’t think he understood the finances needed to run a football club. It was all a bit difficult at the time and there was a lot of turmoil at the club. You look at the club now and it’s on the right track. You see a solid football club now but it wasn’t in those days. It was a very volatile place and you didn’t know from one day to the next what was going to happen.

BC: Danny Bergara sold you on in 1988 to York. Did you want to go or was the move forced upon you for financial reasons?

SR: It was forced by the club because the club was skint. To be fair to Danny, he used to ring me every night because he was a very conscientious football manager although he was off his barnet! He wasn’t all there! His football side was magic but he’d ring me in the middle of the night at half eleven or one o’clock just talking about football. I’m not sure he wanted me to go but it was an offer the club accepted and I think they got a goalkeeper in, in exchange. I think if I’d stayed a little bit longer at Rochdale, I’d have got a better move.

BC: When you returned in 1992, did you feel like the club had moved on e.g. in terms of players, facilities (new Main Stand being built) etc?

SR: Yes. It had moved on immensely. The people who took over behind the scenes after I’d left had done a great job and it felt like a different club.

BC: Dave Sutton used to come out with some right nonsense. For example, he said that Trevor Snowden was the new Gazza. What did the players make of this? Was it just for a bit of a laugh or did it put undue pressure on certain players?

SR: You know what it’s like in the dressing room. You get different characters. The likes of me and Reevesie used to just take the **** out of the gaffer when he used to come out with things like that. We used to laugh our heads off to be fair. Sooty was a man in his own right. He was a completely different character to the other managers I played under. He was unlucky at Rochdale at times. I thought he was close to getting a decent side and winning things but he was off the radar with some of the things he said!

BC: Did you nearly get the manager’s job at Spotland in 1999 when Graham Barrow was sacked?

SR: No I didn’t. There were rumours but that’s all it was.

BC: So you weren’t approached?

SR: No. One pressman rang me and asked if I’d been asked but no. I’d have loved to have gone back though.

BC: Which of the following four teams that you played for would you love to draw in the FA Cup: Dale, Bury, York or Chester?

SR: Dale. Without a doubt.

BC: Have you got a "Who needs Cantona when we've got Shaunie Reid T-shirt?"

SR: That was funny, wasn’t it?

BC: Did you enjoy that sort of thing?

SR: I loved the fans. I loved the club. I moved to Rochdale and lived there for many years and loved it. I used to get the **** taken out of me when I used to go in the Horse and Farrier on a Saturday night after about ten o’clock and they all started singing it (Who needs Cantona…). It was part and parcel and I loved it.

BC: Finally, what was it like playing against your brother on the opening day of 1994/95 when we played Bury?

SR: It was great because we beat Bury! It was his last ever performance as a professional footballer because I did him on the touchline. He elbowed me in the face after five minutes. The ref stopped the game after twenty minutes and pulled us together and said, “What the **** is going on? You two are brothers.” He (Peter) looked at me and went, “he’s ****** getting booted” and I went, “Yeah and you’re getting it” and that’s the way we were. He went off just before half time. I went to top him on the touchline by the dugouts. He jumped over me and landed on his back and had to go off. That was his last ever game!

At the time of writing, the club that Shaun manages, Warrington Town, sit proudly at the top of the The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier »First Division North. I wished Shaun the very best from everyone at Dale in achieving his dream of getting them promoted this season.

Thought whitey had posted for a moment

Gissa job

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 11:51 - Oct 25 with 2060 viewsBFC

Any significance with the Feyenoord flag draped over the fence at your end?

Pitch looks chite considering it was the first day of the season!

Think we had some world lacrosse tourney on that year in the summer so no wonder I suppose - good idea Terry!

Bet the groundsman was thrilled to bits!
Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 12:12 - Oct 25 with 2032 viewsjudd

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 11:51 - Oct 25 by BFC

Think we had some world lacrosse tourney on that year in the summer so no wonder I suppose - good idea Terry!

At the opening game of that Lacrosse tournament one of the nets fell over because the amount of sand on the pitch could not cope! I helped put them up. The pitch was a disgrace.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 12:21 - Oct 25 with 2026 views442Dale

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 12:12 - Oct 25 by judd

At the opening game of that Lacrosse tournament one of the nets fell over because the amount of sand on the pitch could not cope! I helped put them up. The pitch was a disgrace.

Thankfully it's all sorted now after the investment in it this summer. It now only suffers from standing water after particularly heavy rain.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 12:52 - Oct 25 with 1995 viewsColDale

Dale's Reid v bury's Reid on 11:51 - Oct 25 by BFC

City were playing them in a friendly that day at Maine Road. They turned up there to find it was all ticket - assumingly because of their reputation at the time. So they turned up in our end as another game to go to. From memory, they videoed a lot of their visit as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024