Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clive Platt 17:27 - Oct 29 with 3027 viewsColDale

has had to retire from football due to injury. Some great memories of his time with us. Became a cracking lower league player when people realised there was more to his game than scoring goals.
Clive Platt on 17:31 - Oct 29 with 2522 viewstazzydjr

i wonder if he'll go onto Management or Coaching

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Clive Platt on 17:31 - Oct 29 with 2521 views442Dale

Big shame. Imagine if Hill had had him at his disposal, could have played much higher up.

Strange as he was on Bury's bench the other week.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Clive Platt on 17:36 - Oct 29 with 2501 viewsYorkshire_Dale

It's like Victoria Station at giggle...........Dooooooowayne gone back to Hudds and Widowmaker is back from Morecambe as well as Platty's plight.......

......perhaps it's time for the Return of the Big Jessie!

Or is it all about Hallam, and I don't mean Radio Hallam or Vic!
Clive Platt on 17:36 - Oct 29 with 2500 viewsChaffRAFC

Can only agree. Good player for us, very effective target man. Sad to see he's had to finish his career.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Clive Platt on 17:38 - Oct 29 with 2493 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Clive Platt on 17:36 - Oct 29 by ChaffRAFC

Can only agree. Good player for us, very effective target man. Sad to see he's had to finish his career.

.......at bury of all places.
Clive Platt on 17:38 - Oct 29 with 2489 viewsjudd

Exeter away. Great memories of that winning goal and the celebration.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Clive Platt on 17:42 - Oct 29 with 2478 viewsColDale

Clive Platt on 17:31 - Oct 29 by 442Dale

Big shame. Imagine if Hill had had him at his disposal, could have played much higher up.

Strange as he was on Bury's bench the other week.

at a guess, given no immediate prospect of first team football. its not worth fighting the injuries any more, given the daily drive up from Wolverhampton. Take the insurance pay out and play at Conf North level for the remainder of his career. Suits all parties as it will allow Bury to bring someone new in.
Clive Platt on 17:44 - Oct 29 with 2471 views442Dale

Clive Platt on 17:36 - Oct 29 by Yorkshire_Dale

It's like Victoria Station at giggle...........Dooooooowayne gone back to Hudds and Widowmaker is back from Morecambe as well as Platty's plight.......

Widdowson back? They've more left backs than a Stuart Pearce dream team.

Login to get fewer ads

Clive Platt on 17:45 - Oct 29 with 2470 views_dezzy

All the best for the future Clive.
Loved him as a player at the Dale, and had one of the best songs to, for all our players

KHBA

Clive Platt on 18:28 - Oct 29 with 2373 viewsdownunder

Clive Platt on 17:36 - Oct 29 by Yorkshire_Dale

Pointer to the future? bury have no Holmes to go to, and no Hope either.
Clive Platt on 18:56 - Oct 29 with 2307 viewsD_Alien

Remember him also having some great games in midfield for us, in particular during the 2002/03 cup run. He was the best player on the park at Deepdale, but couldn't make quite the same impact at his home-town club when we played Wolves.

He was our first £100000 signing and looked like he was worth every penny from the word go.

Best of luck Clive.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Clive Platt on 21:43 - Oct 29 with 2059 viewsolympicdale

Great player was Plattini, a very intelligent player, who carved out a very good career, playing at Championship level for a good period.

Life is a game of fate.

Clive Platt on 22:45 - Oct 29 with 1981 viewsShun

Clive Platt on 17:45 - Oct 29 by _dezzy

All the best for the future Clive.
Loved him as a player at the Dale, and had one of the best songs to, for all our players

What was his song?
Clive Platt on 22:52 - Oct 29 with 1977 viewsTVOS1907

Clive Platt on 22:45 - Oct 29 by Shun

What was his song?

"When the ball hits the net, like a fookin rocket, that's Plattini"

Sung to this tune:

It's no rkershaw but it was good for its time.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Clive Platt on 01:25 - Oct 30 with 1902 viewsolympicdale

Clive Platt on 22:52 - Oct 29 by TVOS1907

"When the ball hits the net, like a fookin rocket, that's Plattini"

Sung to this tune:

It's no rkershaw but it was good for its time.

That was a proper old fashioned chant, up there with Danny Reet and those banana feet of his.

Life is a game of fate.

Clive Platt on 16:50 - Oct 30 with 1683 viewsFrog

Cracking player and well worth the fee, lived up to the price tag too.
Clive Platt on 17:19 - Oct 30 with 1641 viewsScunnydale

Perhaps it's just my age (I was 19 when Platt signed), but him, Super Kev and Connor seem to me to have been the start of our rise from national joke to respected League One team.

Before then we had decent players, but these youngsters appeared to breathe new life into the club. From them came Parkin's success, the likes of Lambert and Holt, Hill etc... I can never remember us challenging before these guys, in fact we always seemed to be happy with league survival.

All the best Plattini, you gave us some good memories and left and enduring legacy.

When the ball hits the net..!
Clive Platt on 17:47 - Oct 30 with 1597 views442Dale

Clive Platt on 17:19 - Oct 30 by Scunnydale

Perhaps it's just my age (I was 19 when Platt signed), but him, Super Kev and Connor seem to me to have been the start of our rise from national joke to respected League One team.

Before then we had decent players, but these youngsters appeared to breathe new life into the club. From them came Parkin's success, the likes of Lambert and Holt, Hill etc... I can never remember us challenging before these guys, in fact we always seemed to be happy with league survival.

All the best Plattini, you gave us some good memories and left and enduring legacy.

When the ball hits the net..!

We've had peaks and troughs over the last quarter of a century or so which have elevated the standing of the club, each time disappointment has followed but not to the depths of those in the 70s/80s. In fact there's only been one prolonged period of sh!#€ since 1988...

'88 saw Danny Bergara take over, some exciting football and plenty of goals early season. It went off the rails a bit before he left for Stockport but it was a definite shift in attitude towards football at Spotland. Terry Dolan took over and while the football was quite dour, we were also very organised and remained in the top half of the table with a record breaking cup run thrown in.

Dave Sutton's reign was, in the main, entertaining and the club was always on the verge of the playoffs without ever getting there. When he lost it towards the end it was spectacular enough in itself to be strangely enjoyable. Docherty stepped up from being no.2 and oversaw a horrible end to that season, but a northern final in the Autowindscreens ensured he got the job full time. The start to 95/96 was awash with goals and some really clever use of a small squad, but once injuries hit he didn't have a clue.

Graham Barrow was seen as the man to finally take us on that extra step, but boy did that go pear shaped in the longest time of utter rubbish alluded to earlier. Three seasons of gruesomely nasty football and the arrival of a plethora of players who were so far past their sell-by date many came with added mould. It's difficult to work out why he lasted so long when you look back.

Parkin's arrival was a real boost and although initially scoring at home was difficult, he clearly knew what he was doing and as already brought up by the previous post, his recruitment was usually very good. His second spell actually saw some better individuals yet results weren't anywhere near as consistent.

Inbetween the likes of Hollins, Simpson and Buckley had varying levels of success; Hollins got to the playoffs when the team Parkin left was setup to do just that, Simpson never seemed to know how to learn from mistakes and but for the cup run his reign was poor, Buckley was as bad as we've ever had.

The Hill years don't need discussion but the warnings are there from the eighteen months or so between his two spells. It'd be an interesting question of what we'll do differently/already have in place should he depart again in the future.

I know all that's a bit off topic, but it became a Whiteyesque essay when discussing the team's reputation over the years...

Clive Platt on 19:42 - Oct 30 with 1488 viewsboromat

Back to Platt.

Probably the first quality 'youngster' I saw at the club, I know we bought him but I can't remember the youth system being that good in the days of Docherty and Barrow.

And Platt had some good songs but my favourite was Platt's Anelka, Platt's Anelka, Platt's Anelka in disguise.

I seem to remember a great partnership between Platt and Ellis there understanding was brilliant and they should have had more games together.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Clive Platt on 19:56 - Oct 30 with 1469 views442Dale

Clive Platt on 19:42 - Oct 30 by boromat

Back to Platt.

Probably the first quality 'youngster' I saw at the club, I know we bought him but I can't remember the youth system being that good in the days of Docherty and Barrow.

And Platt had some good songs but my favourite was Platt's Anelka, Platt's Anelka, Platt's Anelka in disguise.

I seem to remember a great partnership between Platt and Ellis there understanding was brilliant and they should have had more games together.

Bayliss was the best example of any quality coming from youth level under those two. He featured regularly for both. Plus there was the Bywater sale, not that we saw him out on the pitch at first team level apart from that Carlisle game.

Aside from Platt, Parkin pretty much stuck to tried and tested pros during his first couple of seasons.

Clive Platt on 20:21 - Oct 30 with 1433 viewsnordenblue

Clive Platt on 19:56 - Oct 30 by 442Dale

Bayliss was the best example of any quality coming from youth level under those two. He featured regularly for both. Plus there was the Bywater sale, not that we saw him out on the pitch at first team level apart from that Carlisle game.

Aside from Platt, Parkin pretty much stuck to tried and tested pros during his first couple of seasons.

Bayliss wasn't a product of the youth setup if thats what you mean 442?
Clive Platt on 20:34 - Oct 30 with 1419 views442Dale

Clive Platt on 20:21 - Oct 30 by nordenblue

Bayliss wasn't a product of the youth setup if thats what you mean 442?

More that he was a young player who made it at first team level a la the Platt discussion. Can't really remember his background but I think he made his debut v Barnet in 04/05. Could have the game wrong, but presume he had featured at reserve level beforehand. He then became a regular the next season, when Valentine started to suffer more injuries.

In fact, he was even one of the few younger players Parkin used initially.

Clive Platt on 20:48 - Oct 30 with 1406 viewsnordenblue

Clive Platt on 20:34 - Oct 30 by 442Dale

More that he was a young player who made it at first team level a la the Platt discussion. Can't really remember his background but I think he made his debut v Barnet in 04/05. Could have the game wrong, but presume he had featured at reserve level beforehand. He then became a regular the next season, when Valentine started to suffer more injuries.

In fact, he was even one of the few younger players Parkin used initially.

I only know as he was on trial at Spotland with me, i played next to him during the game, and the rest they say is history.Cant for the life of me remember the year though but hes a year older than me from memory,he was decent then tbf
Clive Platt on 09:42 - Oct 31 with 1255 viewsRochblue

Could have this wrong as I was only 12 or 13 at the time, but I seem to recall we had him on loan / trial with view to becoming permanent. He then scored on his (home?) debut, left footed at the keeper's near post, followed by chants of "Sign him up"...
Clive Platt on 10:16 - Oct 31 with 1209 viewsdingdangblue

Clive Platt on 09:42 - Oct 31 by Rochblue

Could have this wrong as I was only 12 or 13 at the time, but I seem to recall we had him on loan / trial with view to becoming permanent. He then scored on his (home?) debut, left footed at the keeper's near post, followed by chants of "Sign him up"...

Platt was superb in those initial games on loan - think he scored 3 in 6 and was a beast at holding the ball upfront to bring others into play. I think we had a player sent off on his home debut and he played the lone man upfront for the last part of the game, heading and chesting the ball to himself to ease the pressure. I will always remember him for missing the 2nd leg of the Rushden game because of injury and we missed him hugely - probably cost us a place in the final.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024