Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Questions, questions 23:08 - Nov 18 with 23139 viewsBartRowou

This Oldham game then.

As Latics fans are openly discussing coming into the home end on their fora and the authorities have decided that it's not all-ticket, despite making so many less attractive matches all-ticket in the past, what is being done to prevent disorder?

The accent/postcode check isn't going to work so all we are left with is a Dale-related trivia question which has to be answered correctly at the turnstiles to guarantee admission to the home stands.

Question 1: Between 1993 and 1996, which colour socks did Rochdale wear only once?

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Questions, questions on 10:56 - Nov 26 with 2082 viewsDomDale

Questions, questions on 10:20 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

Hiya Hurrikeen

Should be a good atmosphere on Saturday and don't think the odd Pocket of Latics fans in the ground will cause much bother unless both sets of fans in that particular area are looking for it,I don't think I could say the same if it was bURY. The Dale v bury game means far more to Rochdale fans than this game and most fans I speak to don't have much feeling towards Latics either way. For me it's bury, Stockport (very funny)and then Burnley.

Should be a cracker on Saturday, pity we are missing Done and Vincenti,we picked up injuries to Lund and Dawson also last night so haven't got a clue what team we will put out but we have a decent squad. With a full strength team I would be confident of a win but not sure how the team is going to look for Saturday.

Enjoy your day.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 10:27]

I wonder when any of us will play Conference North powerhouse Stockport again...

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Questions, questions on 11:00 - Nov 26 with 2062 viewsTalkingSutty

Questions, questions on 10:36 - Nov 26 by SympatheticTic

Another Latics fan here. I posted something similar in a related thread (just after we sold our allocation). Seems Dale fans know better though and, despite numerous people saying the same thing, apparently our dilapidated ground and 20 years of League 1 football doesn't excuse our poorest gates in my lifetime. We're all really excited about playing our rivals.

It's a bus ride away and not taking place at BP. Hardly surprising we're taking a decent following.

The point about your poor ground and playing in league one is a very poor excuse though. How do you explain league two clubs like Wycombe, Tranmere, Shrewsbury or Conference sides like Grimsby attracting more supporters than Oldham,are they bigger clubs? Just admit you attracted a load of hangers on and your fan base now are the real supporters, like us your home support is crap.

When you factor in your glory years from the not to distant past you have to admit it's poor. We have always had shit crowds and never really had any glory years to compare with you so don't have to look for excuses to justify the crowd numbers.

Fans not turning up for home games because the ground is poor is a pathetic excuse and you know it!!

Anyway glad to see your excited about the game,shows how far you've fallen really.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 11:02]
Questions, questions on 11:06 - Nov 26 with 2043 viewsoa85

Ive said it plenty of times but its the younger fans who see this is a rivalry more than the older one's. They have never seen us in the premiership or championship, against the likes of Blackburn/Bolton/Burnley who are traditional rivals. Rochdale and Oldham has never been a proper rivalry, but the fact that the two towns are joined and have played in the same division for three of the last five seasons means it is getting up a little bit. If the teams stay in the same division for a few seasons then it does have the potential to be a good rivalry, however as a poster on our forum pointed out, its hard to create a rivalry with a team who wont bring over 1500 to a game 5 miles away. Its a local game, and a game that some of our fans get excited about, but I think some of its been taken out of context by dale fans. You'd think we throw a party every time dale drop points the way some of your lot have been going on. Im looking forward to a piss up and a good game of football, hopefully three points too.
Questions, questions on 11:16 - Nov 26 with 2026 viewsTalkingSutty

Questions, questions on 11:06 - Nov 26 by oa85

Ive said it plenty of times but its the younger fans who see this is a rivalry more than the older one's. They have never seen us in the premiership or championship, against the likes of Blackburn/Bolton/Burnley who are traditional rivals. Rochdale and Oldham has never been a proper rivalry, but the fact that the two towns are joined and have played in the same division for three of the last five seasons means it is getting up a little bit. If the teams stay in the same division for a few seasons then it does have the potential to be a good rivalry, however as a poster on our forum pointed out, its hard to create a rivalry with a team who wont bring over 1500 to a game 5 miles away. Its a local game, and a game that some of our fans get excited about, but I think some of its been taken out of context by dale fans. You'd think we throw a party every time dale drop points the way some of your lot have been going on. Im looking forward to a piss up and a good game of football, hopefully three points too.

There could be a rivalry in years to come, especially when/if bury go out of business which could quickly become a reality.

I would get more excited beating Notts Cheaty than Oldham because I don't really have any feelings one way or another regarding Latics,they seem a nice enough club. Playing Oldham always means spending a moment remembering Ernie Cooksey, something any knuckle dragger should bear in mind when attending the game on Saturday.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 11:30]
Questions, questions on 11:28 - Nov 26 with 1995 viewsRosun

Questions, questions on 11:16 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

There could be a rivalry in years to come, especially when/if bury go out of business which could quickly become a reality.

I would get more excited beating Notts Cheaty than Oldham because I don't really have any feelings one way or another regarding Latics,they seem a nice enough club. Playing Oldham always means spending a moment remembering Ernie Cooksey, something any knuckle dragger should bear in mind when attending the game on Saturday.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 11:30]

Great point made there TS regarding Ernie Cooksey and any potential knuckle draggers attending the game.
How's about a minutes round of applause on 4 minutes (in memory of his shirt number)? I think he played # 4 for OAFC too if I remember rightly.
Questions, questions on 11:30 - Nov 26 with 1979 viewsHurrikeen

Questions, questions on 11:00 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

The point about your poor ground and playing in league one is a very poor excuse though. How do you explain league two clubs like Wycombe, Tranmere, Shrewsbury or Conference sides like Grimsby attracting more supporters than Oldham,are they bigger clubs? Just admit you attracted a load of hangers on and your fan base now are the real supporters, like us your home support is crap.

When you factor in your glory years from the not to distant past you have to admit it's poor. We have always had shit crowds and never really had any glory years to compare with you so don't have to look for excuses to justify the crowd numbers.

Fans not turning up for home games because the ground is poor is a pathetic excuse and you know it!!

Anyway glad to see your excited about the game,shows how far you've fallen really.

"Fans not turning up for home games because the ground is poor is a pathetic excuse and you know it!!"

Believe me, it's not.

Back when we were decent, and the ground wasn't as dated as it is now, the admission prices were lower and the football was good to watch. They are two key factors in what help convince someone to turn up and watch their team. Not every single supporter of any club is incredibly loyal to the point where they'd watch them play in Syria with a bomb strapped under their seat which will go off if they concede.

I am by no means defending our significant drop in numbers since the PL days as purely financial etc - there will be plenty of "hanger-ons", and we've said as much on our own forum numerous times. We, ourselves, find it frustrating when we take 6k to Everton in the FA Cup, win, and then only 3.5k turn up at BP the weekend after.

However, since the PL days, where we've had our best players bought for a pittance as we are, and have been as long as I remember, a selling club, dropped down the leagues seeing our financial situation tumble, staff turn over continue at an alarming rate, see shite manager after shite manager (Talbot, Penney, Dickov) make us play excrutiatingly shite football, be squeezed onto a seat which could only fit one of Olive Oil's arsecheeks on, whilst paying more and more for a ticket, it's fully understandable why numbers have dropped.

I know plenty of Latics' fans who don't bother going to BP yet travel to nearly all the away days. Over the course of a season they'll see us more than me, so I can't add a disservice to their affections and loyalty to their team. They simply hate the BP match day experience (although it's very gradually improving as the team have begun to play much more attractive stuff.

It will take an awful long time for our fanbase to even get near those levels of the late 80's, early 90's - and it may never will, but the fact that BP is far from attractive does play a part - it just isn't the whole reason.

You've also got to consider now that any young kids growing up now have another club they can go support in the PL (City), as well as United, so it's very difficult to attract new fans. I'm sure you can relate to that, too.

Also.....

Wycombe - Don't exactly have a powerhouse club, let alone 2, on their doorstep.

Tranmere - Bar Liverpool & Everton, there's noone around them. There's a shit load more NW teams closer to Latics, other than City & United, than what Tranmere have to deal with.

Shrewsbury - Similar to Wycombe, also have a new stadium.

Grimsby - Similar to Wycombe & Shrewsbury

I agree, looking purely at league placings, you'd expect Latics to have better home crowds, but there's a lot more factors to consider.

Finally - we are excited to see the game, just as much as we'd be excited to see us against Sheff United right through to Walsall. Fortunately you're bus ride away so more people see their money's worth in travelling.
Questions, questions on 11:30 - Nov 26 with 1972 viewstazzydjr

Questions, questions on 11:28 - Nov 26 by Rosun

Great point made there TS regarding Ernie Cooksey and any potential knuckle draggers attending the game.
How's about a minutes round of applause on 4 minutes (in memory of his shirt number)? I think he played # 4 for OAFC too if I remember rightly.

I remember in the League Cup meeting when all of Spotland Stadium sung it were a very unique night

"THERE'S ONLY ONE ERNIE COOKSEY"

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Questions, questions on 11:31 - Nov 26 with 1974 viewsTalkingSutty

Cracking idea.
Login to get fewer ads

Questions, questions on 11:45 - Nov 26 with 1922 viewsTalkingSutty

Questions, questions on 11:30 - Nov 26 by Hurrikeen

"Fans not turning up for home games because the ground is poor is a pathetic excuse and you know it!!"

Believe me, it's not.

Back when we were decent, and the ground wasn't as dated as it is now, the admission prices were lower and the football was good to watch. They are two key factors in what help convince someone to turn up and watch their team. Not every single supporter of any club is incredibly loyal to the point where they'd watch them play in Syria with a bomb strapped under their seat which will go off if they concede.

I am by no means defending our significant drop in numbers since the PL days as purely financial etc - there will be plenty of "hanger-ons", and we've said as much on our own forum numerous times. We, ourselves, find it frustrating when we take 6k to Everton in the FA Cup, win, and then only 3.5k turn up at BP the weekend after.

However, since the PL days, where we've had our best players bought for a pittance as we are, and have been as long as I remember, a selling club, dropped down the leagues seeing our financial situation tumble, staff turn over continue at an alarming rate, see shite manager after shite manager (Talbot, Penney, Dickov) make us play excrutiatingly shite football, be squeezed onto a seat which could only fit one of Olive Oil's arsecheeks on, whilst paying more and more for a ticket, it's fully understandable why numbers have dropped.

I know plenty of Latics' fans who don't bother going to BP yet travel to nearly all the away days. Over the course of a season they'll see us more than me, so I can't add a disservice to their affections and loyalty to their team. They simply hate the BP match day experience (although it's very gradually improving as the team have begun to play much more attractive stuff.

It will take an awful long time for our fanbase to even get near those levels of the late 80's, early 90's - and it may never will, but the fact that BP is far from attractive does play a part - it just isn't the whole reason.

You've also got to consider now that any young kids growing up now have another club they can go support in the PL (City), as well as United, so it's very difficult to attract new fans. I'm sure you can relate to that, too.

Also.....

Wycombe - Don't exactly have a powerhouse club, let alone 2, on their doorstep.

Tranmere - Bar Liverpool & Everton, there's noone around them. There's a shit load more NW teams closer to Latics, other than City & United, than what Tranmere have to deal with.

Shrewsbury - Similar to Wycombe, also have a new stadium.

Grimsby - Similar to Wycombe & Shrewsbury

I agree, looking purely at league placings, you'd expect Latics to have better home crowds, but there's a lot more factors to consider.

Finally - we are excited to see the game, just as much as we'd be excited to see us against Sheff United right through to Walsall. Fortunately you're bus ride away so more people see their money's worth in travelling.

But when you played in the Premiership your ground was still the same, the stand you demolished should have been knocked down ages ago,a bit like your main stand,anyway i digress. The price of football has alienated fans at every ground in the country not just Latics. Having to sell your best players and witnessing a turnover of managers etc also effects everybody else.

Can I just say Boundary Park is a palace compared to some grounds in the lower leagues. In a nutshell your post is one that applies to every club in the bottom two tiers but I don't go along with the excuse that your support is poor because of the state of your ground,unless you had a hardcore of prawn sandwich munchers which i very much doubt.
Questions, questions on 12:04 - Nov 26 with 1884 viewsMoonyDale

Great idea and one that should be well supported by both sets of fans....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Questions, questions on 12:05 - Nov 26 with 1883 viewsSympatheticTic

Questions, questions on 11:00 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

Round in circles. If you fail to recognise that the monotony of 20 years of League 1 football has affected attendances, there's no point arguing. All the clubs mentioned have had relegation and promotions which mixes things up. No doubt our crowds would have picked up if we'd been relegated and been competing at the right end of the table.

Difference between us is potential. You're in your best position for half a century or so.
Questions, questions on 12:12 - Nov 26 with 1868 viewsHurrikeen

Questions, questions on 11:45 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

But when you played in the Premiership your ground was still the same, the stand you demolished should have been knocked down ages ago,a bit like your main stand,anyway i digress. The price of football has alienated fans at every ground in the country not just Latics. Having to sell your best players and witnessing a turnover of managers etc also effects everybody else.

Can I just say Boundary Park is a palace compared to some grounds in the lower leagues. In a nutshell your post is one that applies to every club in the bottom two tiers but I don't go along with the excuse that your support is poor because of the state of your ground,unless you had a hardcore of prawn sandwich munchers which i very much doubt.

I've not said it's solely down to having a shite stand. It is, however, one of the factors, whether you like it or not.

Rochdale is an away day - one which we haven't experienced over the last 20 years, one which is just around the corner, and where both teams are playing well. That's why our following will be as good as it is, and it doesn't add to the argument that our home support is shite as we already know that.

But I can sit here and tell you Rochdale mean as much to the majority of us as what Walsall do, whether you agree or not.

Moving on, good luck for the season aside from this Saturday and early Jan.
Questions, questions on 12:29 - Nov 26 with 1826 viewsDomDale

Questions, questions on 12:12 - Nov 26 by Hurrikeen

I've not said it's solely down to having a shite stand. It is, however, one of the factors, whether you like it or not.

Rochdale is an away day - one which we haven't experienced over the last 20 years, one which is just around the corner, and where both teams are playing well. That's why our following will be as good as it is, and it doesn't add to the argument that our home support is shite as we already know that.

But I can sit here and tell you Rochdale mean as much to the majority of us as what Walsall do, whether you agree or not.

Are the Athleticos bringing their flares and banners?

KHBA

Questions, questions on 12:36 - Nov 26 with 1797 viewsHurrikeen

Questions, questions on 12:29 - Nov 26 by DomDale

Are the Athleticos bringing their flares and banners?

I don't think they've taken flares anywhere, ever.

As for banners, well they may try but apparently they're not allowed in the ground.
Questions, questions on 12:58 - Nov 26 with 1751 viewsDomDale

Questions, questions on 12:36 - Nov 26 by Hurrikeen

I don't think they've taken flares anywhere, ever.

As for banners, well they may try but apparently they're not allowed in the ground.

No prob!

Enjoy the day, not too much obviously. Are you in the Away end or the Home end?

I've only been in the home end at an away game once, that was Southend away last year. Mad Friday night. Not the most enjoyable experience unless you get a result. Had hospitality so was sat in their "posh" seats (wooden seats with a cushion) within their main stand. Had some mockney tvvats giving large about Rochdale's away support (because y'know, a 500 mile round trip on Mad Friday night 19:45 KO is really easy to attend). Took great delight in celebrating when we scored, much to their bemusement.

KHBA

Questions, questions on 13:19 - Nov 26 with 1702 viewsHurrikeen

Questions, questions on 12:58 - Nov 26 by DomDale

No prob!

Enjoy the day, not too much obviously. Are you in the Away end or the Home end?

I've only been in the home end at an away game once, that was Southend away last year. Mad Friday night. Not the most enjoyable experience unless you get a result. Had hospitality so was sat in their "posh" seats (wooden seats with a cushion) within their main stand. Had some mockney tvvats giving large about Rochdale's away support (because y'know, a 500 mile round trip on Mad Friday night 19:45 KO is really easy to attend). Took great delight in celebrating when we scored, much to their bemusement.

It would be good if flares (not of the trouser variety) were allowed, partly because some humour could be invented and partly because we have an Ernie Cooksey one that goes everywhere including England away days.

The away end for me. Should be absolutely bouncin'. Just hope there's no trouble in the pubs in the build up, or in the home ends.
Questions, questions on 13:35 - Nov 26 with 1660 viewsaleanddale

Hopeful common sense prevails.

a mutual love in on 4 minutes for Ernie should remind the knuckle draggers its only a game FFS!!.

7000 in spotland will be a treat. Huge crowd for us and a good pay day.

If we can get it right on the pitch as well and sneak a win against the galactico Biffos it will tee up an almighty drink on Saturday night!!
Questions, questions on 13:38 - Nov 26 with 1653 viewsTalkingSutty

Questions, questions on 12:12 - Nov 26 by Hurrikeen

That's why this local derby is unique, neither set of supporters feels any rivalry towards each other. I agree with Walsall analogy also. Enjoy the game, fingers crossed we can all meet up at Wembley for the play off final.... Now that would be a reet good do!!
Questions, questions on 13:54 - Nov 26 with 1608 viewsBiffo_Boy

Somebody has now posted this on our forum, I think it's a brilliant idea.
Questions, questions on 14:12 - Nov 26 with 1564 viewsbiffo4321

Latics fan in peace.

If you all do what you need to do on social media to get the Ernie Cooksey applause going, we'll do our bit to let our lot know.

For one minute, we can unite for a man that gave his all for both our clubs and was taken far too soon by a horrible, horrible illness.

I'm looking forward to a tasty atmosphere but at the end of the day it's only a game and a bit of banter!
Questions, questions on 14:53 - Nov 26 with 1504 viewsbazingadale

Questions, questions on 14:12 - Nov 26 by biffo4321

Latics fan in peace.

If you all do what you need to do on social media to get the Ernie Cooksey applause going, we'll do our bit to let our lot know.

For one minute, we can unite for a man that gave his all for both our clubs and was taken far too soon by a horrible, horrible illness.

I'm looking forward to a tasty atmosphere but at the end of the day it's only a game and a bit of banter!

Really hope this occurs it'll be a great touch to a player who gave his all for both clubs
Questions, questions on 15:22 - Nov 26 with 1456 viewsoafc_ryan

Questions, questions on 22:39 - Nov 25 by TalkingSutty

What's Oldhams average home support this season, about 3700? They are very giddy about this game anybody would think they are above us in the league, they need to calm down a bit and chill. It's funny how a visit to the mighty Dale can attract Latics fans who don't even attend games at Boundary Park, they really do see us as a big game, much as they try to deny it....bless.

I would imagine there will be a few Biffos in the home end but if they have any sense they will watch the match and not start trying to draw attention to themselves by acting up. I don't mind any decent Oldham fan sitting near me, it's alll money in the clubs coffers.

Christ. Our home gates are so poor due to 18 years decaying in this god-awful league. If you honestly think a few wins is going to get us back into crowds of 6,000+ again after years of dejection and misery then you're sadly mistaken. You only have to look at the stats to see that as a percentage of home support we have some (top 5?) of the best away followings in the country. Whether you like it or not, it's a fact that we're a much bigger club than you, having two of the biggest clubs in the world on our doorsteps doesn't help either of our attendances. As for the big away following meaning we view you as a big game, that's bollocks, too. We're both having a fairly good seasons so far so that obviously adds to the crowd. We also have a lot more fans than our home crowds suggest, people quite simply don't enjoy visits to Boundary (sorry, sportsdirect.com) Park that much (due to various factors low goals return, years of poor football, competitively priced Premiership football little over 10 miles away, a poor stadium, lack of variation etc..), so instead they cherry-pick games. A local derby with a sold-out away end and both teams having good seasons is more appealing than a cold Tuesday night home game against MK Dons, fact.

There's always a risk of trouble in these games, I really hope there isn't any. It could have probably been sorted had your club given us allocated seating and/or a small section in another stand as it's not like we've just sold out, you've had a month to plan for this.
Questions, questions on 15:26 - Nov 26 with 1443 viewsoa85

Questions, questions on 15:22 - Nov 26 by oafc_ryan

Christ. Our home gates are so poor due to 18 years decaying in this god-awful league. If you honestly think a few wins is going to get us back into crowds of 6,000+ again after years of dejection and misery then you're sadly mistaken. You only have to look at the stats to see that as a percentage of home support we have some (top 5?) of the best away followings in the country. Whether you like it or not, it's a fact that we're a much bigger club than you, having two of the biggest clubs in the world on our doorsteps doesn't help either of our attendances. As for the big away following meaning we view you as a big game, that's bollocks, too. We're both having a fairly good seasons so far so that obviously adds to the crowd. We also have a lot more fans than our home crowds suggest, people quite simply don't enjoy visits to Boundary (sorry, sportsdirect.com) Park that much (due to various factors low goals return, years of poor football, competitively priced Premiership football little over 10 miles away, a poor stadium, lack of variation etc..), so instead they cherry-pick games. A local derby with a sold-out away end and both teams having good seasons is more appealing than a cold Tuesday night home game against MK Dons, fact.

There's always a risk of trouble in these games, I really hope there isn't any. It could have probably been sorted had your club given us allocated seating and/or a small section in another stand as it's not like we've just sold out, you've had a month to plan for this.

spot on, I honestly don't get why people doubt is when we say the matchday experience puts people off BP, its cold and has been pretty much soulless since we dropped the Lookers stand, its no coincidence how much our attendences have dropped since that went down.
Questions, questions on 15:36 - Nov 26 with 1410 views442Dale

For a number of years Dale were top of the "percentage of home fans that travel away". Dull but true. The one year we weren't, we were second to Bury. Not seen the stats for the last couple of seasons mind.

Can't disagree with much of your last paragraph. We've had ages and still not heard of what's been done to stop away fans going in the home end.

Apart from asking them really nicely.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Questions, questions on 15:37 - Nov 26 with 1410 viewsTalkingSutty

All your excuses for poor home attendances are not unique to Oldham you know. The reasons you give apply to all other lower division clubs around this area. Then you mention 18 years in league one, what do you want sympathy? If you do you have come to the wrong forum, double your 18 and spend it in the bottom division, that sorts the men from the boys so stop bleating!!

You had your allocation and sold out, you would think grown fellas could maybe access another part of the ground if they feel the need and watch a football match without drawing attention to themselves and upsetting people,it can't be that hard. The ones who really wanted to go had every opportunity to buy a ticket before they sold out, it's not rocket science.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024