Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On a sad note 23:21 - Nov 22 with 4690 viewsArthurDaley

Sad to see the Church Inn beside the ground flattened. Another bit of our Heritage gone.
Hadn't been past for a couple of weeks. Walked past today and even the bowling green has gone. It was in a bit of a state though.
In the late 60s and early 70s when I used to go in to meet the lads before a game, it used to be packed out. Happy days in the Church.

A large VAT Dave

On a sad note on 00:11 - Nov 23 with 3784 viewsYorkshire_Dale

What's happening to the site?

Would be a useful acquisition for the Club.......think of the Car Parking income?

Hope it's not left as a derelict eyesore.
On a sad note on 00:21 - Nov 23 with 3768 viewsrochdale1987

On a sad note on 00:11 - Nov 23 by Yorkshire_Dale

What's happening to the site?

Would be a useful acquisition for the Club.......think of the Car Parking income?

Hope it's not left as a derelict eyesore.

It's already been bought by a local businessman who intends to put some houses/flats on there
On a sad note on 00:24 - Nov 23 with 3762 viewsdingdangblue

On a sad note on 00:21 - Nov 23 by rochdale1987

It's already been bought by a local businessman who intends to put some houses/flats on there

Local (Blackburn)?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

On a sad note on 01:24 - Nov 23 with 3686 viewsNigeriamark

Always found it odd that it closed as you would think it would almost make enough on just match days to make it viable even with Studds/Dale bar etc
On a sad note on 07:12 - Nov 23 with 3625 viewsWalboro

I have heard portakabins are going on it awaiting the outcome of the EGM prior to the move to kingsway.This has come from a good source.
On a sad note on 09:57 - Nov 23 with 3519 views_dezzy

I thought there was some sort of 99 year long protection thing covering the bowling green.

KHBA

On a sad note on 21:17 - Nov 23 with 3258 viewsmingthemerciless

I heard that too. That's why they let the Church get wrecked. There'll be houses on it soon.
On a sad note on 21:51 - Nov 23 with 3205 viewstazzydjr

On a sad note on 09:57 - Nov 23 by _dezzy

I thought there was some sort of 99 year long protection thing covering the bowling green.

you make a very good point
[Post edited 23 Nov 2014 22:04]

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

On a sad note on 22:21 - Nov 23 with 3150 viewsraadale

There was some sort of protection on the bowling green as long as it was attached to the pub i'm led to believe. however there was something about not being able use the building as anything else but a pub. So it couldn't be demolished due to the bowling green. (don't know the full details) however almost any building can be demolished if it's in a dangerous condition hence the reason it's had no roof for six months. after that amount of time open to the elements it was in a dangerous condition thus allowing it to be knocked down voiding all the caviets on the bowling green ect. so now it's a derelict site houses can be built on it. Theres a way around every planning law if you have the patience and the money.
On a sad note on 17:46 - Nov 24 with 2746 viewsmingthemerciless

That same stunt was pulled with that primary school on Cronkeyshaw Common. They got knocked back for planning permission to build flats on the site.So they left it to the weather and vandals for a year or two. Then they knocked it down and built the flats anyway. What's not to like !
On a sad note on 21:58 - Nov 24 with 2600 viewsnordenblue

On a sad note on 17:46 - Nov 24 by mingthemerciless

That same stunt was pulled with that primary school on Cronkeyshaw Common. They got knocked back for planning permission to build flats on the site.So they left it to the weather and vandals for a year or two. Then they knocked it down and built the flats anyway. What's not to like !

Throw enough brown envelopes around and you'll get exactly what you want.Alternatively just put a massive bright coloured dome on your plans and it will breeze through the planning department unquestioned
On a sad note on 22:48 - Nov 24 with 2532 viewsNinco

On a sad note on 01:24 - Nov 23 by Nigeriamark

Always found it odd that it closed as you would think it would almost make enough on just match days to make it viable even with Studds/Dale bar etc

I think for a pub to be viable today, you either need to base it in the town centre or attract regular business with good food or entertainment. The smoking ban and the increase in tax on booze, combined with the difficult financial state of the country has made it a very difficult business to be in. My local pub now only open at weekends and if there aren't enough people in, they shut early. I feel sorry for the staff as they don't get paid if they shut early due to lack of custom.
On a sad note on 23:38 - Nov 24 with 2489 viewsraadale

As somebody who works in the trade keeping standard boozers open is almost impossible these days. You have to offer decent food and attract families. As mentioned above the smoking ban killed off the traditional pub. You can't compete with Tescos for the price of beer and so people get tanked up at home first. Even football is an expensive business, it coats approx 2000 a month to have sky in a pub. That's a lot of pints to sell just to break even? Minimum wage whilst I'm not arguing it's a good thing increases overheads dramatically, most pubs operate at 30% of turnover is staff costs, some go even higher. So unless you do food where the profit margins are much higher you just can't make a living selling just ale.
On a sad note on 07:43 - Nov 25 with 2413 viewsdownunder

Does anyone know how many pubs are in Rochdale now?
I recall, as a group of sixth formers, attempting to try and visit every pub in the borough during the summer holiday. 93 pubs sticks in the mind. Designated drivers of course, all safe and legal. Apart from the fact we were all under age.
On a sad note on 08:04 - Nov 25 with 2392 viewsNigeriamark

On a sad note on 07:43 - Nov 25 by downunder

Does anyone know how many pubs are in Rochdale now?
I recall, as a group of sixth formers, attempting to try and visit every pub in the borough during the summer holiday. 93 pubs sticks in the mind. Designated drivers of course, all safe and legal. Apart from the fact we were all under age.

Don't know how many are left but here is a list of pubs closed

Sawyers arms was my local for over 10 years. Great Monday nights playing in the pool leaque against other pubs, many of which have also closed. Probably got to see most of the 93 you mention + a few working clubs that have also closed

Those were the days !!

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/rochdale.html
On a sad note on 08:24 - Nov 25 with 2374 viewsdownunder

On a sad note on 08:04 - Nov 25 by Nigeriamark

Don't know how many are left but here is a list of pubs closed

Sawyers arms was my local for over 10 years. Great Monday nights playing in the pool leaque against other pubs, many of which have also closed. Probably got to see most of the 93 you mention + a few working clubs that have also closed

Those were the days !!

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashire/rochdale.html

That brought a flood of memories. Summer of 1974 it was. Our meet up point was the Eagle on Oldham Rd.
We would often attempt a "road crawl", Every pub on Oldham Rd, from the Eagle to the Summit for example. Halifax, and Whitworth Road were challenges as well.
On a sad note on 09:59 - Nov 25 with 2325 viewsDaley_Lama

The smoking ban was a minimal factor in the decline of pubs. The availability of cheap booze from supermarkets and the 24 hour drinking rule also minimal

The single biggest factor for me is the change in society. The current generation of teenagers/young adults are children of the Social generation and interactivity is not through sitting in a pub drinking booze, it is via online gaming, facebook, etc.

You went to the pub to meet your mates. Now you ping them.

Poll: DF in or out

On a sad note on 11:03 - Nov 25 with 2266 viewsParkinsGimp

On a sad note on 08:24 - Nov 25 by downunder

That brought a flood of memories. Summer of 1974 it was. Our meet up point was the Eagle on Oldham Rd.
We would often attempt a "road crawl", Every pub on Oldham Rd, from the Eagle to the Summit for example. Halifax, and Whitworth Road were challenges as well.

We used to do that quite often as well , down Oldham Road , start at Yew Tree ( train carriage gone LOL) then down into town, next was an old mans pub ...cant remember the name....but its gone, then Dog & P( gone) , Craven Heifer(slight detour, now gone) Plough, Bay Horse, White Lion (gone) Lincoln (gone) across road to a sam smiths pub again cant remember name but thats gone, Bishop Blaize ( gone) Red Rose( gone) , Bonnie Dundee( gone) , bit of a jog to Eagle , then Navigation(gone) , Citizen(gone), Dick Whittingtons( gone) , Cask & feather (Fusilliers as it was then) after that it usually fell into an awful mess...lol happy days.
On a sad note on 13:26 - Nov 25 with 2151 viewsNigeriamark

On a sad note on 11:03 - Nov 25 by ParkinsGimp

We used to do that quite often as well , down Oldham Road , start at Yew Tree ( train carriage gone LOL) then down into town, next was an old mans pub ...cant remember the name....but its gone, then Dog & P( gone) , Craven Heifer(slight detour, now gone) Plough, Bay Horse, White Lion (gone) Lincoln (gone) across road to a sam smiths pub again cant remember name but thats gone, Bishop Blaize ( gone) Red Rose( gone) , Bonnie Dundee( gone) , bit of a jog to Eagle , then Navigation(gone) , Citizen(gone), Dick Whittingtons( gone) , Cask & feather (Fusilliers as it was then) after that it usually fell into an awful mess...lol happy days.

I used to organise a pub crawl for the staff at Rochdale Infirmary ( off duty of course!!) Last one I did in the 80's in order was a dozen

Sawyers
Industry
Pineapple
2 ships
Abbey
Then the 7 on Spotland road - too lazy to list them

EVERY ONE GONE yet there used to be some really good pints and nights there
On a sad note on 13:46 - Nov 25 with 2129 viewsdeeplishblue

Navigation
Citizen
Whittingtons
The Star
The Drake
Wine Lodge
The Reed
Spread Eagle

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

On a sad note on 14:20 - Nov 25 with 2085 viewsDaley_Lama

Spotty Road

Golden Ball
Funnies (had a different name prior)
Carters Rest
Victoria
Albert
Bowling Green
Highland Laddie

Poll: DF in or out

On a sad note on 14:31 - Nov 25 with 2072 viewsD_Alien

On a sad note on 14:20 - Nov 25 by Daley_Lama

Spotty Road

Golden Ball
Carters Rest
Victoria
Albert
Bowling Green
Highland Laddie

Thanks DL

I'd got 5 out of the 7

Wasn't sure about Funnies - wasn't it only open at certain times/days?

Carters Rest had completely escaped me.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

On a sad note on 14:33 - Nov 25 with 2070 viewsraadale

On a sad note on 14:20 - Nov 25 by Daley_Lama

Spotty Road

Golden Ball
Carters Rest
Victoria
Albert
Bowling Green
Highland Laddie

Now that was a pub crawl. We always did Lancashire Lass, Star, Golden Ball, Vic, Albert, Bowling Green, Laddie then to Madisons and Route 66, chester moonshines and then onto Bojangles/Xanadus.. Ahhh happy days
On a sad note on 14:43 - Nov 25 with 2062 viewstazzydjr

Lancashire Lass
The Woolpack

2 more which have gone

EDIT raadale beat me to it on Lancashire Lass
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 14:44]

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

On a sad note on 14:55 - Nov 25 with 2041 viewsjokerthief

I used to have the Church Inn long time ago with my brother...We also used to have many ice cream vans in Rochdale....Once watched a full match from the roof lol...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024