Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Appealing 14:37 - Nov 24 with 3980 viewssandy_dale

Confirmed that we are appealing the red card. Don't think it will end how we want it to mind.
Appealing on 21:26 - Nov 24 with 1254 viewsDaley_Lama

Appealing on 20:59 - Nov 24 by macro

Everyone is judging this from their view and I thought red card straight away.

They do have their own views though and I hope the appeal is successful but personally I think it's a waste of time, money and effort. I hope in proved wrong

I'm pretty similar minded macro, I don't think it will be over-turned and having seen to my eye cases which had far more chance being dismissed, i have the waste of time/money view too on this one.

Equally, hope I'm wrong.

The plus is that Done will know that the club will do anything to try to support him where possible.

Poll: DF in or out

Appealing on 21:29 - Nov 24 with 1237 viewsDySporting

From my position pitchside the lights are better than they were. The only section which I'd query is the positioning of a couple of the lamps in the main stand/sandy corner. That section by the corner flag is still quite dark.
Appealing on 21:31 - Nov 24 with 1227 viewsTVOS1907

Appealing on 21:29 - Nov 24 by DySporting

From my position pitchside the lights are better than they were. The only section which I'd query is the positioning of a couple of the lamps in the main stand/sandy corner. That section by the corner flag is still quite dark.

What's that got to do with Matty Done?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Appealing on 21:31 - Nov 24 with 1227 views442Dale

Appealing on 21:26 - Nov 24 by Daley_Lama

I'm pretty similar minded macro, I don't think it will be over-turned and having seen to my eye cases which had far more chance being dismissed, i have the waste of time/money view too on this one.

Equally, hope I'm wrong.

The plus is that Done will know that the club will do anything to try to support him where possible.

We did the same with Donnelly after the Accrington red.

We did the same with Cavanagh after the Burton red.

Both were in the "can see why the ref sent him off there" department which Done's is. We're either due to win one or it's the team who cried wolf.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Appealing on 21:33 - Nov 24 with 1211 viewsD_Alien

Appealing on 21:31 - Nov 24 by TVOS1907

The ref obviously had his view impeded by the shadows where the lights don't shine - which is where the club are now suggesting he should've stuck his red card.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Appealing on 21:34 - Nov 24 with 1204 viewsDySporting

Appealing on 21:31 - Nov 24 by TVOS1907

Not sure how that's happened! I clicked on the floodlight thread!
Appealing on 21:35 - Nov 24 with 1190 views442Dale

Appealing on 21:34 - Nov 24 by DySporting

Not sure how that's happened! I clicked on the floodlight thread!

You need to reposition the lamp in the kitchen/hallway corner to ensure you can see the messageboard better.

Appealing on 21:36 - Nov 24 with 1178 viewsDySporting

Appealing on 21:35 - Nov 24 by 442Dale

You need to reposition the lamp in the kitchen/hallway corner to ensure you can see the messageboard better.

You're right the lighting just isn't right!
Login to get fewer ads

Appealing on 21:38 - Nov 24 with 1159 viewsTVOS1907

Appealing on 21:18 - Nov 24 by TalkingSutty

It was a daft challenge (over zealous) in a non threatening part of the pitch whatever way you look at it, the type that often results in injury or red cards. Hendersons red was also down to indiscipline, if you kick out at a player you give the referee the opportunity to send you off, there is no excuse.

Maybe the management team should look at taking the players concerned to task rather than making the referee the scapegoat. The speed in which the official brandishes the red card shouldn't take away from the fact the player concerned has given him the opportunity in the first place.

I will hold my hand up if we win the appeal but I think it will be another wedge of cash thrown down the drain, others in the main stand had a clear view though and some saw nothing wrong.

Agree with all of that, TS.

We need to be taking more responsibility for what we can control, which is the choices players are making.

I don't think it's fair for Hill, on one hand, to be saying his players will make mistakes and learn from them (or whatever phrase was used), only for him to keep ranting on when referees make what he perceives are mistakes. He can't have it both ways.

I also think that the split opinion on this board over the red card is very telling.

For me, the club should be looking to get a Football League or Premier League referee into training to discuss with them what types of challenges and reactions are/are not acceptable in the modern game.

That doesn't mean mistakes and bad decisions still won't be made by players and officials, because at the end of the day, we are dealing with human beings, but I think it would be more beneficial than moaning in the media every week.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 21:43]

Appealing on 21:48 - Nov 24 with 1131 viewswimborne_dale

Appealing on 15:18 - Nov 24 by D_Alien

That's a real concern.

If our appeal in any way tries to undermine the referee we'll lose and probably worsen the situation.

I'm struggling to think on what basis we might possibly get the decision overturned without undermining the referee. Showing slow motion replays from numerous angles doesn't alter the fact that Done's challenge might have caused serious injury.

I don't think it would be undermining the ref. We could just say he made an honest mistake as we all do.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Appealing on 21:50 - Nov 24 with 1121 viewsD_Alien

Appealing on 21:48 - Nov 24 by wimborne_dale

I don't think it would be undermining the ref. We could just say he made an honest mistake as we all do.

As in "he got it wrong"

As opposed to "he couldn't see it properly" or "he got the wrong player"

If we use the "he couldn't see it properly" argument (as some have on here) we're more likely to get a fair hearing.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Appealing on 22:09 - Nov 24 with 1065 viewsdingdangblue

Appealing on 21:38 - Nov 24 by TVOS1907

Agree with all of that, TS.

We need to be taking more responsibility for what we can control, which is the choices players are making.

I don't think it's fair for Hill, on one hand, to be saying his players will make mistakes and learn from them (or whatever phrase was used), only for him to keep ranting on when referees make what he perceives are mistakes. He can't have it both ways.

I also think that the split opinion on this board over the red card is very telling.

For me, the club should be looking to get a Football League or Premier League referee into training to discuss with them what types of challenges and reactions are/are not acceptable in the modern game.

That doesn't mean mistakes and bad decisions still won't be made by players and officials, because at the end of the day, we are dealing with human beings, but I think it would be more beneficial than moaning in the media every week.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 21:43]

You are never going to stop players making tackles though or bad decisions. Doncaster's number 18 should have been sent off for kicking out at Dawson in the 1st half - if you go off what Henderson was red carded for - but he got away with it - Henderson didn't. As for Premier league referees Mike Dean watched Wilshire headbutt Fellaini and let him off and yesterday Craig Pawson should have given Hull's Livermore atleast a 2nd yellow if not a straight red for an awfully late tackle and gave neither! Refs are as bad at making decisions as players at times.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 22:16]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Appealing on 22:22 - Nov 24 with 1019 views442Dale

Appealing on 22:09 - Nov 24 by dingdangblue

You are never going to stop players making tackles though or bad decisions. Doncaster's number 18 should have been sent off for kicking out at Dawson in the 1st half - if you go off what Henderson was red carded for - but he got away with it - Henderson didn't. As for Premier league referees Mike Dean watched Wilshire headbutt Fellaini and let him off and yesterday Craig Pawson should have given Hull's Livermore atleast a 2nd yellow if not a straight red for an awfully late tackle and gave neither! Refs are as bad at making decisions as players at times.

But TVOS makes a good point: if we can look at these incidents and learn so that our red card count reduces, it's a positive to take forward. Bit like watching the videos to improve our marking at set-pieces.

Appealing on 22:25 - Nov 24 with 1006 viewsTVOS1907

Appealing on 22:09 - Nov 24 by dingdangblue

Yep, which is what I said about players and officials being human beings.

Regardless of what Doncaster's 18 did (I can't recall the incident off the top of my head), Henderson's was down to a poor choice on his behalf and not a tackle in the full flow of the game like Done's was.

The West Brom player who got sent off at Chelsea? Did he really have to tackle like that? It was always going to be a red card whatever that idiot Savage says.

As I said, we (the Dale players and management) can control what we do more than what decisions are made by the officials. Twelve red cards since the start of last season can't all be wrong.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 22:30]

Appealing on 22:31 - Nov 24 with 981 viewsKenBoon

I've not watched the replay but looked a red on the day and the ref was so instant with the card, I doubt it will be overturned.

The point I want to make is, when people say "...he gave the ref a reason to send him off..." all you're doing is encouraging poor officiating. Every challenge could give a reason for something. Referees should be judged on making decisions that match what the Laws say. Not making decisions that can be somewhat understood if you interpret the Law in a certain way. I know parts are vague and encourage poor decisions as they include phrases like "common sense", but decisions should be made by the Laws and not what the Referee interprets the Laws as.
Appealing on 22:41 - Nov 24 with 914 viewsNinco

I would have thought the appeal would have carried more weight if Done had challenged it at the time. He just seem to accept the red card and leave the pitch without arguing. Surely anyone who is innocent would challenge the decision.
Appealing on 22:44 - Nov 24 with 903 views442Dale

Appealing on 22:25 - Nov 24 by TVOS1907

Yep, which is what I said about players and officials being human beings.

Regardless of what Doncaster's 18 did (I can't recall the incident off the top of my head), Henderson's was down to a poor choice on his behalf and not a tackle in the full flow of the game like Done's was.

The West Brom player who got sent off at Chelsea? Did he really have to tackle like that? It was always going to be a red card whatever that idiot Savage says.

As I said, we (the Dale players and management) can control what we do more than what decisions are made by the officials. Twelve red cards since the start of last season can't all be wrong.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2014 22:30]

Twelve?!

What were they? When you get a minute...

Appealing on 22:54 - Nov 24 with 866 viewsmacro

Eastham, Henderson, done this season
Appealing on 23:00 - Nov 24 with 849 viewsNinco

I sometimes think football would work better with the 'on report' system that they use in rugby league. If a referee isn't 100% certain that it's a red card, he should be able to have it looked at by the officials at a later date, with the player serving any ban then. It would save on all these silly appeals.
Appealing on 23:01 - Nov 24 with 849 viewsmacro

Lancashire (2), o'connell, Donnelly, Lund, Henderson, cavanagh, Vincenti, rose all saw red last season
Appealing on 23:05 - Nov 24 with 840 viewsleedsdale

Having watched the interview with Colin in DP, the basis of the appeal seems to be that the referee said that Done "jumped in" to the challenge in his report, whereas the Dale team feel that the video evidence shows that he didn't jump in, and his feet were not raised as he challenge

We should find out tomorrow afternoon, apparently.
Appealing on 23:50 - Nov 24 with 775 viewsTVOS1907

Appealing on 22:44 - Nov 24 by 442Dale

Twelve?!

What were they? When you get a minute...

Cavanagh v Burton
Vincenti v bury
Donnelly v Accrington
O'Connell v Scunthorpe
Lancashire v Scunthorpe
Rose v Scunthorpe
Henderson v bury
Lancashire v Torquay
Lund v Northampton

Eastham v Leyton Orient
Henderson v Northampton
Done v Doncaster

Appealing on 23:55 - Nov 24 with 769 viewsTVOS1907

Appealing on 22:31 - Nov 24 by KenBoon

I've not watched the replay but looked a red on the day and the ref was so instant with the card, I doubt it will be overturned.

The point I want to make is, when people say "...he gave the ref a reason to send him off..." all you're doing is encouraging poor officiating. Every challenge could give a reason for something. Referees should be judged on making decisions that match what the Laws say. Not making decisions that can be somewhat understood if you interpret the Law in a certain way. I know parts are vague and encourage poor decisions as they include phrases like "common sense", but decisions should be made by the Laws and not what the Referee interprets the Laws as.

But football is a game that doesn't have that many 'matter of fact' decisions, in the way that something like cricket does, so someone has to be there to interpret events that unfold.

Sometimes they go for you, sometimes they don't and it's been like that since t'year dot!

Appealing on 00:27 - Nov 25 with 743 viewsdingdangblue

Appealing on 23:05 - Nov 24 by leedsdale

Having watched the interview with Colin in DP, the basis of the appeal seems to be that the referee said that Done "jumped in" to the challenge in his report, whereas the Dale team feel that the video evidence shows that he didn't jump in, and his feet were not raised as he challenge

We should find out tomorrow afternoon, apparently.

I'm sorry but he did 'jump in' - he kept his feet low and got the ball but he definitely jumped so if Dale are disputing that then theyve got no chance. I remember when Beeby sent off Perkins and Hill said that he had reported that Perkins had caught the Darlo player on his shin - the video showed there was no contact and even then the red was upheld - even though it meant a player missing a Wembley final! If the Fa showed no compassion then - they aren't likely to over rule this one. Our only hope was the appeal being Wednesday allowing Done to play against mk dons but that looks like its not going to happen now.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Appealing on 00:59 - Nov 25 with 729 viewsDaley_Lama

Appealing on 23:50 - Nov 24 by TVOS1907

Cavanagh v Burton
Vincenti v bury
Donnelly v Accrington
O'Connell v Scunthorpe
Lancashire v Scunthorpe
Rose v Scunthorpe
Henderson v bury
Lancashire v Torquay
Lund v Northampton

Eastham v Leyton Orient
Henderson v Northampton
Done v Doncaster

If Joey T read this thread I think he would have a wry smile.

Poll: DF in or out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024