Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Awful news from Australia. 07:13 - Nov 25 with 4204 viewsSuddenLad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/australia/11251923/Austra

Fingers crossed for a full recovery.............

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Awful news from Australia. on 08:01 - Nov 25 with 4142 viewsaleanddale

All the best Phil - get well soon.

I am sure he will be in good hands the Aussie Hospitals have a very good reputation.

looks like a nasty one even though he was wearing a helmet.

But for the grace of god!! Remember Broad spitting blood last year after a ball came through the helmet grill.
Awful news from Australia. on 18:19 - Nov 25 with 3866 viewsSuddenLad

Latest rumours are that Phil Hughes had to be resuscitated before leaving the ground for hospital. Terrible situation and I hope he shows some recovery now that his initial surgery is over.

Awful news from Australia. on 18:34 - Nov 25 with 3812 viewsBrierls

Sounds like he took a blow to the back of his head just below the helmet. I've always thought the helmets didn't cover enough at the back of the head, though I suppose the challenge to that statement is "why would a ball hit a batsmen on the back of the head?". Well, I think we've just seen that horrible scenario unfold.

Let's hope the lad pulls through and makes a full and speedy recovery. He's a very talented batsmen who hasn't quite cemented his place in the Aussie Test side despite a few opportunities. From what I've read, it's only a matter of time.
Awful news from Australia. (n/t) on 23:46 - Nov 25 with 3681 viewsRockerdale97

Awful news from Australia. on 18:34 - Nov 25 by Brierls

Sounds like he took a blow to the back of his head just below the helmet. I've always thought the helmets didn't cover enough at the back of the head, though I suppose the challenge to that statement is "why would a ball hit a batsmen on the back of the head?". Well, I think we've just seen that horrible scenario unfold.

Let's hope the lad pulls through and makes a full and speedy recovery. He's a very talented batsmen who hasn't quite cemented his place in the Aussie Test side despite a few opportunities. From what I've read, it's only a matter of time.

Just shows the danger of sport and in particular Cricket. You can have all the protection in the world and that still may not be enough. Imagine what the lad Abbott is thinkin now. All we can hope is for Hughes to pull through and my thoughts are with him and his family at this moment.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 23:52]
Awful news from Australia. on 01:06 - Nov 26 with 3616 viewszxcvbnm

Awful news from Australia. on 18:34 - Nov 25 by Brierls

On R5L on the way back from the game an Aussie reporter said he got hit just to the right of below his left ear

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Awful news from Australia. on 03:31 - Nov 26 with 3585 viewsTalkingSutty

Awful news from Australia. on 01:06 - Nov 26 by zxcvbnm

On R5L on the way back from the game an Aussie reporter said he got hit just to the right of below his left ear

That's what I heard, said he went for a hook shot and was too early going through with his shot and it clattered the side of his helmet.

Wish him the very best in his recovery but psychologically and from a long term medical angle it will probably mean the end for him now as a Test match /first class cricketer. That will be the least of his family's worries though at the moment.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 3:35]
Awful news from Australia. on 12:06 - Nov 26 with 3455 viewsMoonyDale

Awful news from Australia. on 03:31 - Nov 26 by TalkingSutty

That's what I heard, said he went for a hook shot and was too early going through with his shot and it clattered the side of his helmet.

Wish him the very best in his recovery but psychologically and from a long term medical angle it will probably mean the end for him now as a Test match /first class cricketer. That will be the least of his family's worries though at the moment.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 3:35]

Could also have a massive effect on the bowler who sent the ball down, not sure if I would ever want to pick up a ball again.....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Awful news from Australia. on 05:08 - Nov 27 with 3304 viewsBrierls

Phil Hughes has died. Absolutely shocking and horrendous news.
Login to get fewer ads

Awful news from Australia. on 05:08 - Nov 27 with 3306 viewsDiddyDave

Regret to say that the boy passed away this afternoon Sydney time. A terrible day for Aussie sport and cricket.
Awful news from Australia. on 05:11 - Nov 27 with 3301 viewsJumeirahDale

Horrendous. A lovely chap by all accounts. RIP, and thoughts with Sean Abbott as well.
Awful news from Australia. on 07:10 - Nov 27 with 3262 viewsaleanddale

Awful news from Australia. on 05:11 - Nov 27 by JumeirahDale

Horrendous. A lovely chap by all accounts. RIP, and thoughts with Sean Abbott as well.

Terrible news.

RIP Phil - taken way to young.

Agreed thoughts go to young Sean Abbott too he must be feeling dreadful. I hope he gets the very best councelling and help.
Awful news from Australia. on 07:22 - Nov 27 with 3244 viewsTalkingSutty

Awful news from Australia. on 07:10 - Nov 27 by aleanddale

Terrible news.

RIP Phil - taken way to young.

Agreed thoughts go to young Sean Abbott too he must be feeling dreadful. I hope he gets the very best councelling and help.

Terrible news.
Awful news from Australia. on 13:15 - Nov 27 with 3092 viewsSuddenLad

Awful news from Australia. on 05:08 - Nov 27 by Brierls

Phil Hughes has died. Absolutely shocking and horrendous news.

Tragic. It appears that this was an absolute freak of an injury which split his artery on impact and which in turn caused a massive bleed on the brain. The surgeon says that the situation was pretty much hopeless from the outset.

To put it into context, there is only ONE other recorded case in cricket history of such an incident occurring previously. How many millions of deliveries have struck batsmen in the head in the last 150 years ?

That will be no consolation to Phil Hughes' family who must be utterly grief stricken, especially his mother and sister who witnessed the event as spectators.

Sean Abbott also deserves to be in our thoughts. Quite how you come to terms with what happened I don't know, but he can take comfort from knowing that the whole cricketing world stands firmly in support of him.

Thoughts and prayers are with all concerned at this time.

Awful news from Australia. on 13:53 - Nov 27 with 3050 viewsD_Alien

Awful news from Australia. on 13:15 - Nov 27 by SuddenLad

Tragic. It appears that this was an absolute freak of an injury which split his artery on impact and which in turn caused a massive bleed on the brain. The surgeon says that the situation was pretty much hopeless from the outset.

To put it into context, there is only ONE other recorded case in cricket history of such an incident occurring previously. How many millions of deliveries have struck batsmen in the head in the last 150 years ?

That will be no consolation to Phil Hughes' family who must be utterly grief stricken, especially his mother and sister who witnessed the event as spectators.

Sean Abbott also deserves to be in our thoughts. Quite how you come to terms with what happened I don't know, but he can take comfort from knowing that the whole cricketing world stands firmly in support of him.

Thoughts and prayers are with all concerned at this time.

A similar type of incident occurred with Lancs own Peter Lever, bowling at Ewan Chatfield on a tour of NZ in the 70's.

Lever commented that his first thought if Chatfield had died was that he'd never pick up a cricket ball again. Luckily, Chatfield survived and was able to resume his career; as did Lever.

While our first thoughts are naturally with the relatives and friends of Phil Hughes, I hope that Abbott is able to resume his career because it simply wasn't his fault. That might prove psychologically too difficult a step for him, especially in fast bowling terms. And whilst it's too soon after the event to be discussed in any objective way, the solution has surely got to be better headgear than with any attempt at removing the short delivery from the game.

An example has been set by motor racing, where improved safety features in the cars and the tracks has seen the fatality rate greatly decrease over the years, whilst recent events demonstrate you can't ever remove risk entirely. All sport carries risks, rucks and scrums in rugby union being another example.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Awful news from Australia. on 15:13 - Nov 27 with 2993 viewsChaffRAFC

Absolutely horrendous news. I'm genuinely gutted to my core. God only knows how Sean Abbott is feeling. Complete accident, freak accident, I've been hit on the helmet at decent ish pace, the thought that it could kill you doesn't, and shouldn't enter your head.

The age of 25 really does hit home as well.

RIP Phil Hughes,

Forever 63 not out!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Awful news from Australia. on 00:44 - Nov 28 with 2844 viewsolympicdale

Awful news from Australia. on 15:13 - Nov 27 by ChaffRAFC

Absolutely horrendous news. I'm genuinely gutted to my core. God only knows how Sean Abbott is feeling. Complete accident, freak accident, I've been hit on the helmet at decent ish pace, the thought that it could kill you doesn't, and shouldn't enter your head.

The age of 25 really does hit home as well.

RIP Phil Hughes,

Forever 63 not out!

Couldn't believe it when I heard it, deeply saddening when a sportsman dies on the field/track of play, makes it almost unbelievable, so unexpected, he died doing what he loved!

I cant begin to imagine what Sean Abbott must be feeling right now, it was a dreadful accident, accident being the operative word, hope he comes out of his counselling sessions able to continue his career.

RIP Phillip Hughes, 25 is no age!

Life is a game of fate.

Awful news from Australia. on 11:09 - Nov 28 with 2775 viewsD_Alien

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/803857.html

Worth reading

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Awful news from Australia. on 09:42 - Nov 29 with 2652 viewsrobbowood

Awful news from Australia. on 11:09 - Nov 28 by D_Alien

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/803857.html

Worth reading

In Feburary 2009 I saw Philip Hughes make his Test debut at Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg. For an Aussie he was a top bloke

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024