Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bastien Hèry 09:25 - Nov 26 with 3859 viewssandy_dale

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. However, I'm starting to get the feeling that bastien isn't on of Keith's favoured players. One of the best players in the preston game and not really had a snifter since. Really strange.
Bastien Hèry on 09:59 - Nov 26 with 3758 viewsTalkingSutty

I rate Hery and do find it a bit strange that Hilly doesn't seem to fully trust him when it comes to team selection. We have to remember team selection will reflect what takes place on the training pitch during the week and also the attitude of individuals.

Hilly obviously sees something that the fan isn't privy to, I don't think he would be daft enough to ostracise Hery over something like a clash of personalities,that would be detrimental to the team. We have to trust the manager on this one, he must have his reasons. Like any maverick type of player there also has to be a work ethic and acceptance of responsibility towards your team mates.
Bastien Hèry on 12:05 - Nov 26 with 3510 viewsParkinsGimp

Very strange when Rose gets a run out before him in midfield, as we all know Rose is definitely not a midfielder.
Hery shows passion and commitment, he is definitely raw , but , no doubt he has talent and needs a run in the team at a competitive level to get better.
Bastien Hèry on 13:04 - Nov 26 with 3377 viewszxcvbnm

I feel that it's more Hery's positioning and work rate off the ball which annoys Hill. No questioning Hery's talent but he can be careless

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Bastien Hèry on 13:40 - Nov 26 with 3272 viewsdalefan

Bastien Hèry on 13:04 - Nov 26 by zxcvbnm

I feel that it's more Hery's positioning and work rate off the ball which annoys Hill. No questioning Hery's talent but he can be careless

Agree. Just watch the highlights from the Northampton game, after they score they have two excellent chances to score again. Just watch Bastiens role in both these chances, he ball watches leaves his player doesn't cover doesn't try and get back. If they had scored either we could have lost. We all know Hilly demands players defend properly and it is this side of Bastiens game that is letting him down. You can't have someone in midfield who can't/won't defend.
Does his undoubted talent override that at times he doesn't defend?
I don't think it does and it appears neither does Hilly.
If he could get this part of his game sorted then he would be some player
Bastien Hèry on 13:43 - Nov 26 with 3258 viewsTalkingSutty

Bastien Hèry on 13:40 - Nov 26 by dalefan

Agree. Just watch the highlights from the Northampton game, after they score they have two excellent chances to score again. Just watch Bastiens role in both these chances, he ball watches leaves his player doesn't cover doesn't try and get back. If they had scored either we could have lost. We all know Hilly demands players defend properly and it is this side of Bastiens game that is letting him down. You can't have someone in midfield who can't/won't defend.
Does his undoubted talent override that at times he doesn't defend?
I don't think it does and it appears neither does Hilly.
If he could get this part of his game sorted then he would be some player

Good post.
Bastien Hèry on 13:49 - Nov 26 with 3225 views442Dale

Accept that he sometimes let's his man run off him when playing deeper, so why not try and utilise his talents a bit further forward at the top of the diamond or the advanced one in a three? It's been noticeable that he hasn't been given this role much so far this season. And in the interests of midfielder fairness, Dawson looks to have lost his man twice for headed goals v Northampton and Doncaster.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bastien Hèry on 13:52 - Nov 26 with 3203 viewsdalefan

Bastien Hèry on 13:49 - Nov 26 by 442Dale

Accept that he sometimes let's his man run off him when playing deeper, so why not try and utilise his talents a bit further forward at the top of the diamond or the advanced one in a three? It's been noticeable that he hasn't been given this role much so far this season. And in the interests of midfielder fairness, Dawson looks to have lost his man twice for headed goals v Northampton and Doncaster.

Yes, I agree he should be tried as the attacking midfielder. His skills would cause chaos further up the field rather than him beating 3 men in his own half and still being faced by their entire defence
Bastien Hèry on 14:12 - Nov 26 with 3156 viewsSuddenLad

Bastien Hèry on 13:04 - Nov 26 by zxcvbnm

That's exactly the point KH has previously made about Hery. He's undoubtedly talented but some aspects of his game put the team at risk. He needs to address that side of his game (he has improved) before he loses the 'liability' tag.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Bastien Hèry on 14:52 - Nov 26 with 3066 viewsDorsetDale

Bastien Hèry on 13:49 - Nov 26 by 442Dale

The first time I saw Hery was at Plymouth early last season. If memory serves, came on 2nd half in the position you suggest and really looked the part destined for more game time.
Then again, it was my first viewing of Vincenti and wasn't impressed at all.
Then again (again) t'was also O'Connell's debut in front of me. MOM by a mile.

Goes to show how sometimes our opinions are proved sometimes half right, sometimes get rammed down our throats, but more commonly in my experience , spot on.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Bastien Hèry on 15:09 - Nov 26 with 3025 viewsD_Alien

For what it's worth, here's my take on the situation.

I fully understand the potential drawbacks of starting with a player like Bastien, although his overall work rate, tracking back and tackling are improving all the time. There will be games where we need to keep it tight for the first 20-30 minutes and therefore it's understandable that Hilly is more inclined to have him on the bench, especially when the likes of Allen, Dawson and Lund are all available for selection.

But there's something indefinable that happens with the team when Hery plays. Not always, and not for 90+ minutes, but without repeating the stats posted on here by myself and others, our points-gathered rate is undeniably higher when Hery plays than when he doesn't. I'd suggest that when his team-mates see Hery coming onto the ball in midfield, two things happen. First, one of the midfielders stays further back. The second thing is that the forward players and other midfielders can move forwards into attacking positions which lead to more chances being created. It's just a sense that, with him in the team, they know they've got someone who can break the opposition down and it gives the entire team a lift. Not to mention the Dale supporters.

Is the balance of what he creates worth more than the possibility he might lose the ball in a dodgy position? The stats say it is. And he can only get better, providing he gets the game time and the confidence from the management. He just loves playing football, and isn't that what we all pay our money to watch? Oh, and more often than not, we win.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bastien Hèry on 16:51 - Nov 26 with 2832 viewsdingdangblue

Bastien Hèry on 15:09 - Nov 26 by D_Alien

For what it's worth, here's my take on the situation.

I fully understand the potential drawbacks of starting with a player like Bastien, although his overall work rate, tracking back and tackling are improving all the time. There will be games where we need to keep it tight for the first 20-30 minutes and therefore it's understandable that Hilly is more inclined to have him on the bench, especially when the likes of Allen, Dawson and Lund are all available for selection.

But there's something indefinable that happens with the team when Hery plays. Not always, and not for 90+ minutes, but without repeating the stats posted on here by myself and others, our points-gathered rate is undeniably higher when Hery plays than when he doesn't. I'd suggest that when his team-mates see Hery coming onto the ball in midfield, two things happen. First, one of the midfielders stays further back. The second thing is that the forward players and other midfielders can move forwards into attacking positions which lead to more chances being created. It's just a sense that, with him in the team, they know they've got someone who can break the opposition down and it gives the entire team a lift. Not to mention the Dale supporters.

Is the balance of what he creates worth more than the possibility he might lose the ball in a dodgy position? The stats say it is. And he can only get better, providing he gets the game time and the confidence from the management. He just loves playing football, and isn't that what we all pay our money to watch? Oh, and more often than not, we win.

Great post. Hill definitely rates him but has obvious issues with the type of player he is. If you look at the games Bastien has played this season and the impact he has had,it is far more positive than negative. After having a good pre season I was really hoping he'd start v Peterborough - he didn't - we lost. Chesterfield he came on at ht for injured Lund. Hill then didn't have much choice at Crewe with Lunds injury other than start him - a revelation in a 5-2 win. Hery starts the good draw with Bristol and the 4-0 at Crawley. Then left out altogether in the 1-0 loss at Sheffield? Starts again against Walsall and we win 4-0. Starts v Coventry and wins the penalty for the only goal. Starts against Orient and although we win he is subbed at ht. Only gets the last 15 mins v Barnsley - we lose. Did not play at all v Gills - poor finishing costs us in a 1-1 draw. Swindon away - comes on for last 17 mins and scores winner. Yeovil away we win 3-0 but Hery is left on bench all game. Preston 3-0 win - Bastien starts and is influential in great win. Port Vale - did not play, lost. Doncaster - did not play - lost. MK Dons - forced on after Dawson injury and we get great 2-2 draw. He is a talent , and something different at this level - just hope we see enough of him to benefit as he does seem to cause opposition problems when he is picked.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Bastien Hèry on 18:43 - Nov 26 with 2693 viewsborntogo

This forensic examination of Bastien Hery's game is becoming tedious and is also unfair on the lad. He tracks back as much as anyone else, he uses the ball as well as anyone else. Keith Hill is usual a good judge of a player but has got it wrong this time. Hery is our most exciting player and the best midfielder at the club. A different manager may well be building his team around him. The impression with Hill is that he'd rather play Jack Northover that our fast-footed Frenchman. Shame, damn shame.
Bastien Hèry on 18:57 - Nov 26 with 2654 viewsSuddenLad

Bastien Hèry on 18:43 - Nov 26 by borntogo

This forensic examination of Bastien Hery's game is becoming tedious and is also unfair on the lad. He tracks back as much as anyone else, he uses the ball as well as anyone else. Keith Hill is usual a good judge of a player but has got it wrong this time. Hery is our most exciting player and the best midfielder at the club. A different manager may well be building his team around him. The impression with Hill is that he'd rather play Jack Northover that our fast-footed Frenchman. Shame, damn shame.

KH won't dispute that Bastien is an exciting player. He is also a gifted and talented player. At times however, he is also a liability and it is that aspect of his game that lets him down. That's what frustrates the manager.

As was said earlier, he has improved aspects of his game under KH, but has some way to go.

We all enjoy watching him, but sometimes he seems to create problems by wrong decision making or sloppy play.

He is still learning and continues to improve, but some of your comments are a bit silly.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Bastien Hèry on 19:27 - Nov 26 with 2580 viewsdingdangblue

Bastien Hèry on 18:57 - Nov 26 by SuddenLad

KH won't dispute that Bastien is an exciting player. He is also a gifted and talented player. At times however, he is also a liability and it is that aspect of his game that lets him down. That's what frustrates the manager.

As was said earlier, he has improved aspects of his game under KH, but has some way to go.

We all enjoy watching him, but sometimes he seems to create problems by wrong decision making or sloppy play.

He is still learning and continues to improve, but some of your comments are a bit silly.

I think liability is a tad harsh. He's a very talented player - obviously very confident in his own ability - and why shouldnt he be having come through the PSG Academy system. We are lucky to have him but if he keeps getting left out or subbed at ht or 55 mins into the game he won't be here much longer. Now that would be a shame.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Bastien Hèry on 13:50 - Nov 28 with 2193 viewsdingdangblue

Will Hery start tomorrow? Dawson and Lund most probably missing. Or will Hill start Rose or Cannon or Cywka ahead of Bastien? When he has started against Walsall, Coventry and Preston we have won our only 3 home games.

Bastien Hèry on 14:10 - Nov 28 with 2132 viewsTalkingSutty

Bastien Hèry on 13:50 - Nov 28 by dingdangblue

Will Hery start tomorrow? Dawson and Lund most probably missing. Or will Hill start Rose or Cannon or Cywka ahead of Bastien? When he has started against Walsall, Coventry and Preston we have won our only 3 home games.

Its our home game and with Done missing we could do with some creativity from midfield to supplement his loss. In my mind Hery should be on from the start playing in an advanced midfield position and his instructions should be to run at the heart of the Latics defence at every opportunity.

I want to see a high tempo performance, lets not just allow Oldham to settle into the game.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 14:10]
Bastien Hèry on 14:45 - Nov 28 with 2069 viewsChaffRAFC

Bastien Hèry on 14:10 - Nov 28 by TalkingSutty

Its our home game and with Done missing we could do with some creativity from midfield to supplement his loss. In my mind Hery should be on from the start playing in an advanced midfield position and his instructions should be to run at the heart of the Latics defence at every opportunity.

I want to see a high tempo performance, lets not just allow Oldham to settle into the game.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 14:10]

I suspect Cywka has been brought in to do exactly that!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Bastien Hèry on 14:59 - Nov 28 with 2044 viewsdingdangblue

Bastien Hèry on 14:45 - Nov 28 by ChaffRAFC

I suspect Cywka has been brought in to do exactly that!

He could be covering Done's role? still got Dawson and Lund to replace.

Bastien Hèry on 15:35 - Nov 28 with 1987 viewsborntogo

Sorry to bang on, but evidence strongly suggests he WON'T play Hery tomorrow. Hill has looked deep within the squad to find untried youngsters, defenders converted into midfielders, jet-lagged journeymen, unfit loanees etc to fill a role that falls naturally and wonderfully to Hery. I can't see a sudden change of policy, though Hill's unpredictability and about-faces has to be factored in.
Bastien Hèry on 15:42 - Nov 28 with 1982 viewsdingdangblue

Bastien Hèry on 15:35 - Nov 28 by borntogo

Sorry to bang on, but evidence strongly suggests he WON'T play Hery tomorrow. Hill has looked deep within the squad to find untried youngsters, defenders converted into midfielders, jet-lagged journeymen, unfit loanees etc to fill a role that falls naturally and wonderfully to Hery. I can't see a sudden change of policy, though Hill's unpredictability and about-faces has to be factored in.

Starting in our only 3 home wins must help...............you would have thought?

Bastien Hèry on 16:16 - Nov 28 with 1930 viewsD_Alien

If Hilly does pick Hery to start tomorrow, surely it'll be a volte-face?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bastien Hèry on 16:22 - Nov 28 with 1908 viewsmikehunt

Yes. A strange one indeed. He had vanished for a large part of last season and become the forgotten man. Yet when our promotion push faltered towards the end of last season, his unexpected introduction at Bristol was outstanding and contributed to us getting back on track.
He needs nurturing. I would hate to lose him.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Bastien Hèry on 18:00 - Nov 28 with 1762 viewsDaley_Lama

In Hill we trust.

End of. (I hate that saying, bring on a 6 pager)

Poll: DF in or out

Bastien Hèry on 20:19 - Nov 28 with 1629 viewsShun

Who are the jet-lagged journeymen in our squad who could play in Hery's position?
Bastien Hèry on 20:45 - Nov 28 with 1596 viewsTVOS1907

Bastien Hèry on 20:19 - Nov 28 by Shun

Who are the jet-lagged journeymen in our squad who could play in Hery's position?

Good question.

They probably aren't on borntogo's books.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024