Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The LEGEND 18:36 - Dec 18 with 5855 viewsArthurDaley

Seeing as most ex players score against us, will the Legend celebrate or just run back to his own half. If he does score it will be a polite applause from me. Hope fully we will score one more than them.

A large VAT Dave

The LEGEND on 18:39 - Dec 18 with 3732 viewsmacro

Hopefully he won't do a grant holt if he scores and go completely ott.

The question is will he get a welcome back from Dave? After stick on here they seem to have disappeared recently.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2014 18:40]
The LEGEND on 19:14 - Dec 18 with 3637 viewsBartRowou

The LEGEND on 18:39 - Dec 18 by macro

The question is will he get a welcome back from Dave? After stick on here they seem to have disappeared recently.

The nadir was when he welcomed back David Buchanan who never even played for us.
As for Jones, one fan's legend is another fan's crab.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

The LEGEND on 19:18 - Dec 18 with 3620 viewsArthurDaley

The LEGEND on 19:14 - Dec 18 by BartRowou

The nadir was when he welcomed back David Buchanan who never even played for us.
As for Jones, one fan's legend is another fan's crab.

He was a constant ever present, chalking up over 500 appearances for the club becoming our record appearance maker and the first person to lead Dale to promotion since Joe Ashworth in 1969.

All things being equal, that promotion should have been the swansong to his Dale career. At 33, it would have been a big ask to replicate the form of years gone in a league above, especially after a season in which for the first time, he wasn’t the first name on the teamsheet. We shouldn’t have worried. He finished the season as top scorer as Dale equalled their highest ever finish.

One hell of a crab.

A large VAT Dave

The LEGEND on 19:24 - Dec 18 with 3600 viewsBartRowou

The LEGEND on 19:18 - Dec 18 by ArthurDaley

He was a constant ever present, chalking up over 500 appearances for the club becoming our record appearance maker and the first person to lead Dale to promotion since Joe Ashworth in 1969.

All things being equal, that promotion should have been the swansong to his Dale career. At 33, it would have been a big ask to replicate the form of years gone in a league above, especially after a season in which for the first time, he wasn’t the first name on the teamsheet. We shouldn’t have worried. He finished the season as top scorer as Dale equalled their highest ever finish.

One hell of a crab.

I was always ambivalent towards Jones after his departure to Barnsley and, according to the chairman at the time, the way he engineered the move which was legendary, but for all the wrong reasons. Can take him or leave him.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

The LEGEND on 19:28 - Dec 18 with 3581 views_dezzy

He'll be to busy running around in circles chasing the likes of Lund, Allen or whoever is in midfield.

KHBA

The LEGEND on 19:49 - Dec 18 with 3530 viewsSuddenLad

The LEGEND on 18:39 - Dec 18 by macro

To be fair to Holty, that goal was worth celebrating. It was one of the better goals I've seen scored by an opposition player at Spotland, never mind a former Dale player.

Credit where it's due. I'd have gone OTT if I'd scored that one !!

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

The LEGEND on 20:03 - Dec 18 with 3486 viewsjimmysbaldhead

The LEGEND on 19:49 - Dec 18 by SuddenLad

To be fair to Holty, that goal was worth celebrating. It was one of the better goals I've seen scored by an opposition player at Spotland, never mind a former Dale player.

Credit where it's due. I'd have gone OTT if I'd scored that one !!

I agree great goal but I'd also add he didn't go OTT he ran off and celebrated in front of his own fans.

I really hate this thing of not celebrating goals scored against teams you used to play for. As long as you don't do an Adebayor or even TK (I enjoyed that though) then I don't have a problem.
The LEGEND on 20:12 - Dec 18 with 3460 viewstazzydjr

Clive Platt didn't celebrate when he scored on us with Northampton Town at Sixfields

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

The LEGEND on 20:23 - Dec 18 with 3432 viewsbennersdale

The LEGEND on 19:28 - Dec 18 by _dezzy

He'll be to busy running around in circles chasing the likes of Lund, Allen or whoever is in midfield.

More side to side and backwards than circles

Hasta el valle abajo de la cerveza

The LEGEND on 22:05 - Dec 18 with 3273 viewsKenBoon

The LEGEND on 20:03 - Dec 18 by jimmysbaldhead

I agree great goal but I'd also add he didn't go OTT he ran off and celebrated in front of his own fans.

I really hate this thing of not celebrating goals scored against teams you used to play for. As long as you don't do an Adebayor or even TK (I enjoyed that though) then I don't have a problem.

Agree 100%. Goals should be celebrated. I hate seeing the non-celebration thing. It's a cliché now. Obviously there's the classless celebrations which are, well, classless. Thankfully those are left for players who have issues within themselves and not the people they're trying to get a rise out of.
The LEGEND on 22:40 - Dec 18 with 3195 viewsmacro

The LEGEND on 20:03 - Dec 18 by jimmysbaldhead

Blinding goal yes but it was a wild celebration!
The LEGEND on 22:53 - Dec 18 with 3173 viewsThacks_Rabbits

The LEGEND on 22:05 - Dec 18 by KenBoon

Agree 100%. Goals should be celebrated. I hate seeing the non-celebration thing. It's a cliché now. Obviously there's the classless celebrations which are, well, classless. Thankfully those are left for players who have issues within themselves and not the people they're trying to get a rise out of.

I tend to agree with Mr Boon on most things - but its only really a cliche in the prem etc - In the past the likes of Steve Whitehall (who got devils grief off fans) celebrated vs us, but most long term players who we respected and support just dont now - If Jones is welcomed as he should be and happens to score - he wont celebrate, I just hope he is welcomed as the legend he should be - He is a lower level Steven Gerard - his legs and box to box game went 3 years plus ago - but still a legend!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

The LEGEND on 00:24 - Dec 19 with 3096 viewsAtThePeake

Not sure the people who call him a 'crab' etc. were watching us pre-Hillcroft. There were teams that Jonah carried for this club.

Perhaps they weren't even watching him during the Hillcroft era, 17 goals from midfield in League One as he captained the side to our joint highest ever finish - not bad for a crab.

Guy is an absolute legend at Dale and whilst for the most part I agree that goals are to be celebrated, I think there are special exceptions. Wasn't bothered by Holt's celebration - wouldn't be bothered my almost any other ex-player celebrating a goal against us. But it would hurt to see Jonah celebrate a goal against us.

Tangled up in blue.

The LEGEND on 05:49 - Dec 19 with 3037 viewsTalkingSutty

The LEGEND on 00:24 - Dec 19 by AtThePeake

Not sure the people who call him a 'crab' etc. were watching us pre-Hillcroft. There were teams that Jonah carried for this club.

Perhaps they weren't even watching him during the Hillcroft era, 17 goals from midfield in League One as he captained the side to our joint highest ever finish - not bad for a crab.

Guy is an absolute legend at Dale and whilst for the most part I agree that goals are to be celebrated, I think there are special exceptions. Wasn't bothered by Holt's celebration - wouldn't be bothered my almost any other ex-player celebrating a goal against us. But it would hurt to see Jonah celebrate a goal against us.

Well said ATP but for all his attributes there are those who will always find a reason to knock him. There was a time when without Jonah in the team we simply couldn't function,I honestly think his presence in the team was the difference between us staying in the league and ending up in the conference, he was the talisman and there was a time when we found it impossible to win a game without him.

He was never blessed with pace and maybe trying to retain possession in a poor team was interpreted as being a crab, can the people who casually just label him explain how a crab can score so many goals from a midfield position?

How many times have we been playing in some far flung outpost and in need of a goal , invariably the captain(not TVOS) came up with the goods ensuring a good end to the day. Prior to him leaving his form did dip but playing under Coleman and Bell must have been sole destroying having witnessed the polar opposite under Hillcroft. He stood up on the training field for the good of the club and at that moment his time was up.

It wasn't over for Jonah though, he reinvented himself at Bradford and guided them to a major cup final and also promotion, he also swept the board at the Bantams player of the season awards and it's right to say he also holds legendary status down at Valley Parade. Now in his twilight he still defies logic by holding down a place in the not to shabby Notts County team and I for one can't wait to welcome him back to Spotland tomorrow.

There will be those in attendance daft enough to compare Jonahs game with the energetic Allan and Lund or maybe a much younger Dawson(without the goals)but they miss they point. Jonah played in another era, a time when Spotland was a mud heap , when survival was hailed as success and at that time Jonah was our only hope and he delivered on a regular basis before eventually guiding us to a long awaited promotion.

He is a legend at the club and I am sure he will be welcomed back as one by the overwhelming majority of Dale fans, the minority who don't must have very short memories.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2014 5:51]
The LEGEND on 06:31 - Dec 19 with 3015 viewsfrenzied

A consumate professional for me,had a Robsonesque quality at Dale and beyond,a man for all seasons..a fine example of how drive,passion and bloody hard work can overcome limited ability(i mean that in a nice way)...players with far more natural ability produce so much less than Jones .
The LEGEND on 07:00 - Dec 19 with 2992 viewsTalkingSutty

The LEGEND on 06:31 - Dec 19 by frenzied

A consumate professional for me,had a Robsonesque quality at Dale and beyond,a man for all seasons..a fine example of how drive,passion and bloody hard work can overcome limited ability(i mean that in a nice way)...players with far more natural ability produce so much less than Jones .

Concise and to the point, well summed up.
The LEGEND on 07:22 - Dec 19 with 2966 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Forget the way he forced his way out many years ago also, he made a mistake, admited he was wrong in what he did and he was young and ambitious. Agree with ATP and others re him being our midfield, if you look at some of the dross he had to support there he often was our midfield, and in his earlier years he was a driving, box to box midfielder (hence earlier Gerrard comment) that scored goals for run and could track back and control the game. The Pre Barnsley Jones would be in the current side every week!!

If you look at the example he sets both on and particularly off the field these days, eg the Bradford mascot thing and going over to the young lad at the end of the game, that shows how much he has grown up and for me that is one of many reasons he should be applauded and the Gary Jones song pre/post game sung. During the game is different story and I am sure he will expect some stick!!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

The LEGEND on 07:22 - Dec 19 with 2965 viewsaleanddale

Jones = Dale legend.

Can't understand any other viewpoint on him - my all time favourite Dale player.

Hope he gets a thunderous reception from what will probably be quite a small home crowd.

If he scores and celebrates fair enough. That doesn't take away the fantastic contribution he made to our football club.

I like the 4th tier Robson analogy.

Oh the Holt goal was worthy of a celebration!! What a goal!! Enjoyed it as from memory we still ran out winners that day?
The LEGEND on 07:43 - Dec 19 with 2947 viewsisitme

Jones was a great servant to the club and deserves a good reception before the game, although during the game we should focus on our own players. I would be very happy if he has a shocker, as it would go some way towards us hopefully winning the game.

Will he actually play though? Hasn't he been injured when we have played against him in the past?
The LEGEND on 07:49 - Dec 19 with 2940 viewsTalkingSutty

The LEGEND on 07:43 - Dec 19 by isitme

Jones was a great servant to the club and deserves a good reception before the game, although during the game we should focus on our own players. I would be very happy if he has a shocker, as it would go some way towards us hopefully winning the game.

Will he actually play though? Hasn't he been injured when we have played against him in the past?

I think he played last week so I imagine he will be involved in some capacity. I agree with you, I hope he has a stinker along with the rest of his colleagues.

Welcome him back and then channel our efforts into supporting the lads. I wonder if Hilly recognises Jonahs contribution in his programme notes
The LEGEND on 09:50 - Dec 19 with 2845 viewsitschalky

I always thought that it is disrespectful full to give the full celebration if you are playing against a club that you spent a long time at,personly I would just put my arm in the air like Shearer
The LEGEND on 09:52 - Dec 19 with 2841 viewsParkinsGimp

The LEGEND on 20:12 - Dec 18 by tazzydjr

Clive Platt didn't celebrate when he scored on us with Northampton Town at Sixfields

Platt was probably in shock that he scored...might of gone over his 9 a season tally LOL
The LEGEND on 10:19 - Dec 19 with 2810 viewsTVOS1907

The LEGEND on 07:49 - Dec 19 by TalkingSutty

I think he played last week so I imagine he will be involved in some capacity. I agree with you, I hope he has a stinker along with the rest of his colleagues.

Welcome him back and then channel our efforts into supporting the lads. I wonder if Hilly recognises Jonahs contribution in his programme notes

Well he might have if he'd been speaking to anyone.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

The LEGEND on 10:41 - Dec 19 with 2768 viewsSaxonDale

The LEGEND on 10:19 - Dec 19 by TVOS1907

Well he might have if he'd been speaking to anyone.

Hill's spoken very highly of Jones in his DP interview.
The LEGEND on 13:34 - Dec 19 with 2614 viewslurker

As long as he doesn't simulate sexual intercourse with Kevin Ellison a la Jack Redshaw I will be happy. Come to think of it, did Sweetmore ever welcome Jack back? Maybe that's the issue!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024