Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England World Cup thread 13:14 - Feb 14 with 10106 viewsTommoRAFC

Well, I never expected a lot, but that was an awful performance today.

Positives:
Finn's 5 for.
Taylor should have had a century, robbed by shit umpiring, not that it effected the result.
Bell and Woakes did ok.
Warner didn't get to hurt us much.

Negatives:
Awful bowling on the whole, Finn's stats are flattered by his hattrick when the damage was done, not one of the bowlers had a decent average today.
Easy catches put down.
Top order was dire, started slow, and once Bell fell it crumbled without a trace, to be honest the Convicts could have had us all out for 150 if they wanted to.
Pedestrian Convict balls didn't get the treatment they should have been by us.
Morgan managed to get his 4th duck in 7 innings!

With New Zealand on Friday and probably 2 defeats in 2, we'll have our work cut out getting to the quarters, especially if anyone else manages a shock... So much for the team heading in a different direction after the dropping of Cook, we're a laughing stock again!

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

England World Cup thread on 00:30 - Feb 23 with 2506 viewsDaley_Lama

Alex Hales
Alex Hales
Alex Hales

3 wickets now gone as we tentatively try to accelerate because there was no acceleration in overs 15-30.

Edit: Make that 4.

Oh dear, Oh dear oh dear.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 0:35]

Poll: DF in or out

England World Cup thread on 03:51 - Feb 23 with 2483 viewsDiddyDave

It sounds like a music hall joke, England have an Irishman with a Welsh name as captain! Wonder what he does at the beginning of the game when they play God Save The Queen, he probably sings McCalpine`s Fusiliers or summat, though that would probably be a better motivational song than our boring dirge. No wonder we get clouted at just about every international game we play these days, the players obviously put in a state of somnambulism (yes it is still a word)! Anyway, let`s hope Down Under`s enjoying the day down there in Christchurch. Have a couple of Canterbury Draughts for me DU!
England World Cup thread on 07:33 - Feb 23 with 2454 viewsDaley_Lama

Apology: previous posts in this thread such as 'come home you shower of pooh' and 'my nan could do better with a stick of rhubarb' could lead people to think that i have no faithbin the current England set up or team. In the light ofcthis tremendous victory over Scotland i would like to point out that i am jolly well behind the lads in a face-painted stylee.

Awesome.

England World Cup thread on 09:22 - Feb 23 with 2417 viewsdingdangblue

England World Cup thread on 07:33 - Feb 23 by Daley_Lama

Apology: previous posts in this thread such as 'come home you shower of pooh' and 'my nan could do better with a stick of rhubarb' could lead people to think that i have no faithbin the current England set up or team. In the light ofcthis tremendous victory over Scotland i would like to point out that i am jolly well behind the lads in a face-painted stylee.

Awesome.

A 'faithbin' - where England fans put their faith in the England team.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England World Cup thread on 10:09 - Feb 23 with 2395 viewsD_Alien

England World Cup thread on 09:22 - Feb 23 by dingdangblue

A 'faithbin' - where England fans put their faith in the England team.

Sounds good.

Could be used for recycling as hot air - enough to power the plane back to Blighty. Otherwise I'd make them swim (Moeen excepted).

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England World Cup thread on 10:31 - Feb 23 with 2382 viewsdownunder

England World Cup thread on 03:51 - Feb 23 by DiddyDave

It sounds like a music hall joke, England have an Irishman with a Welsh name as captain! Wonder what he does at the beginning of the game when they play God Save The Queen, he probably sings McCalpine`s Fusiliers or summat, though that would probably be a better motivational song than our boring dirge. No wonder we get clouted at just about every international game we play these days, the players obviously put in a state of somnambulism (yes it is still a word)! Anyway, let`s hope Down Under`s enjoying the day down there in Christchurch. Have a couple of Canterbury Draughts for me DU!

Did not get there, had an arrival flying in.
Canterbury Draught? No way. Speight's for me.
Morgan singing the English national anthem? Ironic?
Be like Rolf Harris singing "Australians all let us rejoice, Because we are young and free"
England World Cup thread on 07:23 - Feb 27 with 2302 viewsTalkingSutty

AB Di Villiers.......162 runs off 66 balls. They're playing a different game to England.
England World Cup thread on 10:01 - Feb 27 with 2257 viewsDaley_Lama

Ian Bell could do that

erm

Gary Balance could do that

erm

Eoin Morgan could do that

erm

Alex Hales/Kevin Pietersen could at least have a go at doing that. They would probably fail but would die trying.

ps. What an absolutely fantastic knock by AB, the Windies must truly hate him of late.

Login to get fewer ads

England World Cup thread on 11:21 - Feb 27 with 2206 viewsNigeriamark

England World Cup thread on 10:01 - Feb 27 by Daley_Lama

Ian Bell could do that

erm

Gary Balance could do that

erm

Eoin Morgan could do that

erm

Alex Hales/Kevin Pietersen could at least have a go at doing that. They would probably fail but would die trying.

ps. What an absolutely fantastic knock by AB, the Windies must truly hate him of late.

Jason Holder 1-9 from his first 5 overs. 0-95 from the next 5 !!!
England World Cup thread on 06:52 - Feb 28 with 2164 viewsDiddyDave

Kiwis beat the Australia.......just.
England World Cup thread on 21:38 - Feb 28 with 2105 viewsTommoRAFC

England World Cup thread on 06:52 - Feb 28 by DiddyDave

Kiwis beat the Australia.......just.

England won toss, we're going to have a 'bat'.

No changes again.

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

England World Cup thread on 21:40 - Feb 28 with 2102 viewsTalkingSutty

England World Cup thread on 21:38 - Feb 28 by TommoRAFC

England won toss, we're going to have a 'bat'.

No changes again.

Here we go again, 300 needed.
England World Cup thread on 21:41 - Feb 28 with 2100 viewsFondles

Sri Lanka to win and hit most 6's @ 5/2 looks tempting
England World Cup thread on 21:55 - Feb 28 with 2091 viewsThacks_Rabbits

England World Cup thread on 21:41 - Feb 28 by Fondles

I am on them at 10/11 - should be 4/7 IMHO

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

England World Cup thread on 21:56 - Feb 28 with 2091 viewsbatman

That Sri Lankan national anthem is fantastic
It's like an entry in a 1970's Eurovision Song Contest
England World Cup thread on 21:57 - Feb 28 with 2073 viewsTalkingSutty

It would take a big turnaround in Englands form to see them winning, lump on Fondles.
England World Cup thread on 22:17 - Feb 28 with 2052 viewsFondles

Bell has been more aggressive in his first 10 balls than the hole of his last match. Go on lad
England World Cup thread on 22:24 - Feb 28 with 2046 viewsbatman

England World Cup thread on 22:17 - Feb 28 by Fondles

Bell has been more aggressive in his first 10 balls than the hole of his last match. Go on lad

Think how NZ took us apart and De Villiers innings has shown how
The game has changed. Batters are now appearing more aggressive from
Ball 1. This might be a consequence of T20. Either way it's making for
good viewing. (and yes I did see NZ/Aus )
Hopefully it might see England re emerge as some kind of force, even
Though we'll go out in the quarters this time
England World Cup thread on 22:27 - Feb 28 with 2042 viewsFondles

Cricket nets start tomorrow for my team, the first 5 overs are inspiring me here!
England World Cup thread on 03:50 - Mar 1 with 1988 viewsMBoothman

A team full of test cricketers trying to undo everything they've ever learnt e.g. stay in at all costs, play orthodox shots, try to pick off the bad balls. Trouble is, they haven't got time to do all that, and they end up stuck in no-man's land, trying to second guess themselves and end up getting out cheaply by going for shots that aren't there. Whereas ABdV, McCullum, Smith et al just play naturally and without conscience - they don't count the runs or the run rate, they just try to be as aggressive as possible and hit as many boundaries as they can. The only players we've ever had like that was Pietersen, a South African. And don't get me started on Morgan - he wouldn't even get in the Ireland team at the moment, never mind being captain of England, a country he shouldn't even be playing for. And yes, I'd say that even if he were playing well. He's Irish, end of.

The less said about the bowling the better. Anderson looks completely off his game, and has done since before the Ashes. Broad looks scared. Finn is garbage. Woakes has talent and can at least bat a bit, so they let him chip in after the new ball has lost its shine and Broad's had his gutless 4 or so overs. Time for a change, these lot have had their go; besides Root, Buttler, Woakes, maybe Taylor and maybe Bell, there's very few who deserve that place in the team on current efforts.

Yes. That IS Sako.

England World Cup thread on 05:03 - Mar 1 with 1977 viewsdownunder

England World Cup thread on 03:50 - Mar 1 by MBoothman

A team full of test cricketers trying to undo everything they've ever learnt e.g. stay in at all costs, play orthodox shots, try to pick off the bad balls. Trouble is, they haven't got time to do all that, and they end up stuck in no-man's land, trying to second guess themselves and end up getting out cheaply by going for shots that aren't there. Whereas ABdV, McCullum, Smith et al just play naturally and without conscience - they don't count the runs or the run rate, they just try to be as aggressive as possible and hit as many boundaries as they can. The only players we've ever had like that was Pietersen, a South African. And don't get me started on Morgan - he wouldn't even get in the Ireland team at the moment, never mind being captain of England, a country he shouldn't even be playing for. And yes, I'd say that even if he were playing well. He's Irish, end of.

The less said about the bowling the better. Anderson looks completely off his game, and has done since before the Ashes. Broad looks scared. Finn is garbage. Woakes has talent and can at least bat a bit, so they let him chip in after the new ball has lost its shine and Broad's had his gutless 4 or so overs. Time for a change, these lot have had their go; besides Root, Buttler, Woakes, maybe Taylor and maybe Bell, there's very few who deserve that place in the team on current efforts.

A fair point, but it is the same for all teams. They all have to adapt to the format.

Falling apart at the moment. Dropped catch, mis-fields, and overthrows, Sangakara showing he is a class act.
England World Cup thread on 05:29 - Mar 1 with 1973 viewsDiddyDave

Typical England, always about ten years behind everybody else. I`ve seen better bowling when I used to watch Littleborough in the CCL in the late sixties, early seventies.
I actually feel sorry for Morgan, he`s clearly out of his depth, but the other`s are hanging him out to dry. Once again, pathetic.
England World Cup thread on 06:04 - Mar 1 with 1970 viewsMBoothman

England World Cup thread on 05:03 - Mar 1 by downunder

A fair point, but it is the same for all teams. They all have to adapt to the format.

Falling apart at the moment. Dropped catch, mis-fields, and overthrows, Sangakara showing he is a class act.

The difference is that they all have adapted. England have been left behind. I have a theory that this is something to do with the first Ashes wins all those years ago - suddenly we were the best test cricketing team in the world and everything was geared to staying on the top in that form of the game, and neglected the short forms. If we'd have lost that famous Ashes series, maybe we'd have made a used a more balanced approach. And the fact that T20 has always been looked down upon in this country as "not proper" but it's revolutionized the one-day game; I live in Australia, and the Big Bash League is getting good coverage and good crowds.

Time to re-focus our view; stop trying to re-create what happened 10 years ago and reinvigorate the short forms. I think it would actually help the test side out too, make it more rounded.

Yes. That IS Sako.

England World Cup thread on 08:57 - Mar 1 with 1919 viewsNigeriamark

England World Cup thread on 03:50 - Mar 1 by MBoothman

Due to our county set up we probably have the biggest pool of pro players unlike smaller nations where the same players have to use the same players for all 3 formats. We should really be looking at 50 over / T20 squad that may only have 3 or 4 test players in it. Beef up our T20 competition with each team having 1 or 2 guest players allowed for that tournament. Test cricket is important to England but our better players as you point out can not seem to adapt so keep them separate
Other than England, there have been some great matches at this world cup and great individual performances

Looks like England v Bangladesh now for 4th place unless some freak weather intervenes
England World Cup thread on 10:23 - Mar 1 with 1875 viewsD_Alien

England World Cup thread on 06:04 - Mar 1 by MBoothman

The difference is that they all have adapted. England have been left behind. I have a theory that this is something to do with the first Ashes wins all those years ago - suddenly we were the best test cricketing team in the world and everything was geared to staying on the top in that form of the game, and neglected the short forms. If we'd have lost that famous Ashes series, maybe we'd have made a used a more balanced approach. And the fact that T20 has always been looked down upon in this country as "not proper" but it's revolutionized the one-day game; I live in Australia, and the Big Bash League is getting good coverage and good crowds.

Time to re-focus our view; stop trying to re-create what happened 10 years ago and reinvigorate the short forms. I think it would actually help the test side out too, make it more rounded.

Interesting theory, but our World T20 victory in 2010 renders it redundant.

The problems with our current performance stem entirely from lack of leadership - and I don't mean Eoin Morgan, whose record prior to the tournament puts him right up there with our best middle order batsman. I'll ignore your point about his nationality, since he's playing within the rules of international cricket.

Under Andy Flower's leadership, the ambition and stategy was to see us become dominant (albeit briefly) in both long and short forms of the game, although the 50-over format is possibly our least successful. You're right in that it can leave batsmen in two minds whether to go for it from the off, or play themselves in.

The best example of this is Ian Bell, our most experienced one-day batsman and he still hasn't got the hang of it.

Back to the leadership issue - I predict Moores will be out of the job within the next 12 months. Great county coach, but somehow can't translate that to international level.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024