Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Square pegs in round holes 16:59 - Mar 14 with 9169 viewsSwissdale

Disappointed today. Unsure as to why Keith hill thinks the best way to chase a game is with 7 defenders on the pitch, when we have attacking options like Hery and Lazarus on the bench.

Decent first half but each substitution made us further from scoring and ended up going out with a whimper.
Square pegs in round holes on 17:09 - Mar 14 with 6750 viewsShun

Dire match. Both sides were as bad as each other and neither deserved to win. I agree that all 3 subs weakened us, although Brandy's was only because he didn't get any service. I'd like him to start some time but I'm not sure what his best position is.
Square pegs in round holes on 17:24 - Mar 14 with 6677 views442Dale

Would like to hear Hill's thinking behind those substitutions. Brandy and Tanser ended up cluttering the centre of the pitch and sticking Lancashire at right back meant we had nothing on that side of the pitch. Why not Hery and stick Bennett at RB?

Baffling and the game just drifted to an inevitable conclusion.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Square pegs in round holes on 19:08 - Mar 14 with 6395 viewsD_Alien

Our all round play was superior to Fleetwood but we never created anything.

Cried out for Dawson to add some craft to midfield, and drive us forward. Vincenti had another poor game.

We should've at least come away with a point, but as I posted before setting off, I wasn't expecting one so I'm not disappointed. It all seemed a bit end-of-seasonish, just giving some players game time for no apparent reason.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Square pegs in round holes on 19:32 - Mar 14 with 6276 viewsrochdale1987

Agree with all of the above. And as long as he persists with Bunney it's like playing with ten sometimes, he offers nothing. Weak, slow, clumsy. Should be trying rnl or hery in the Done role, no idea behind hills thinking with him, and the subs baffled me today.
Square pegs in round holes on 19:58 - Mar 14 with 6176 viewsJimmyRustler

Square pegs in round holes on 19:32 - Mar 14 by rochdale1987

Agree with all of the above. And as long as he persists with Bunney it's like playing with ten sometimes, he offers nothing. Weak, slow, clumsy. Should be trying rnl or hery in the Done role, no idea behind hills thinking with him, and the subs baffled me today.

Made me laugh seeing Bunney's rallying cry/ warning to the other teams in The Ob.

I'm more scared of farting after a vindaloo than I am of Bunney.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2015 19:59]
Square pegs in round holes on 20:04 - Mar 14 with 6120 viewsnordenblue

Square pegs in round holes on 19:58 - Mar 14 by JimmyRustler

Made me laugh seeing Bunney's rallying cry/ warning to the other teams in The Ob.

I'm more scared of farting after a vindaloo than I am of Bunney.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2015 19:59]

The problem when he scored that brace is it leading to a longer run in the side, he was dire that game tbf.
When you've options like rnl, Brandy and Hery on the bench his inclusion is even more baffling
Square pegs in round holes on 20:20 - Mar 14 with 6070 viewsJimmyRustler

Square pegs in round holes on 20:04 - Mar 14 by nordenblue

The problem when he scored that brace is it leading to a longer run in the side, he was dire that game tbf.
When you've options like rnl, Brandy and Hery on the bench his inclusion is even more baffling

He won't make it at this level and it's quite plain to see tbh.

At present, he doesn't have the physical attributes to make it in lower level football in general, nevermind League 1.

He's 22 this year. You'd think he was a teenager going through puberty with the way KH drones on about him growing into a man's body.
Square pegs in round holes on 22:00 - Mar 14 with 5882 viewsnordenblue

Square pegs in round holes on 20:20 - Mar 14 by JimmyRustler

He won't make it at this level and it's quite plain to see tbh.

At present, he doesn't have the physical attributes to make it in lower level football in general, nevermind League 1.

He's 22 this year. You'd think he was a teenager going through puberty with the way KH drones on about him growing into a man's body.

Regardless of his age and this "potential" crap we've far better players in ANY position you'd be mildly inclined to play Bunney in.
For christ sake dont EXPECT too much from the youngster and put any pressure on him though
Login to get fewer ads

Square pegs in round holes on 22:21 - Mar 14 with 5811 viewsmiddale

Square pegs in round holes on 17:24 - Mar 14 by 442Dale

Would like to hear Hill's thinking behind those substitutions. Brandy and Tanser ended up cluttering the centre of the pitch and sticking Lancashire at right back meant we had nothing on that side of the pitch. Why not Hery and stick Bennett at RB?

Baffling and the game just drifted to an inevitable conclusion.

Agreed, those substitutions were inept - especially sticking Lancashire at right back, I don't even think Hill was kidding when he said he forgot we were losing 1-0. I think there's a few harsh comments about Bunney flying around, he was considerably more of a threat than Brandy!

Also, what on earth is the point of even having Hery and RNL on the bench if you're never going to put them on, even when we're 1-0 down and chasing the game against a stubborn, well organised team? What are they, Plan Y or Plan Z? Please please lets never see that last 25 minutes personnel/formation again, it was dreadful.

Blog: Addicted to Rochdale (Part 17) Diary of the 2010-11 Season

Square pegs in round holes on 22:32 - Mar 14 with 5776 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Has the look and feel of just going through the motions now.

I forget when deadline day was now but the ready made replacements have played how many minutes and scored how many?

I am looking forward to seeing who we sign in the close season and if we own the ground by then already tbh.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Square pegs in round holes on 00:06 - Mar 15 with 5670 viewsSwissdale

Square pegs in round holes on 22:32 - Mar 14 by Thacks_Rabbits

Has the look and feel of just going through the motions now.

I forget when deadline day was now but the ready made replacements have played how many minutes and scored how many?

I am looking forward to seeing who we sign in the close season and if we own the ground by then already tbh.

Ground issue and the sale of done are other issues (very important ones). Regardless of the squad, this was how we finished a game today where we spent the last 30 minutes needing a goal to get anything from the game...

GK

CB CB CB LB
LB CB
CM
RW CF LB

SUBS: CM LW

Ridiculous.
Square pegs in round holes on 00:18 - Mar 15 with 5651 viewszxcvbnm

Fleetwood were doing their utmost to get Cannon sent off - I can fully understand that change - Lancashire was the only defensive option without changing shape completely

Brandy for Bunney a fair enough change

Tanser coming on for Vincenti was an odd one though - RNL or Hery would have been more obvious.

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Square pegs in round holes on 00:28 - Mar 15 with 5641 viewsD_Alien

Square pegs in round holes on 00:18 - Mar 15 by zxcvbnm

Fleetwood were doing their utmost to get Cannon sent off - I can fully understand that change - Lancashire was the only defensive option without changing shape completely

Brandy for Bunney a fair enough change

Tanser coming on for Vincenti was an odd one though - RNL or Hery would have been more obvious.

Only option?

Bennett right back, Dawson midfield

Square pegs in round holes on 11:51 - Mar 15 with 5350 viewsNafelad

Anyone else think that Hill is so idiosyncratic that he deliberately makes odd substitutions in order to demonstrate his lack of ambition this season. The selections and changes in the last few matches remind me of the way he uses pre-season friendlies to try different formations, and to make each player 'learn the game better' by having to play in positions that aren't their 'natural' ones.

Topcat

Square pegs in round holes on 13:21 - Mar 15 with 5270 views442Dale

Square pegs in round holes on 00:28 - Mar 15 by D_Alien

Only option?

Bennett right back, Dawson midfield

Losing 1-0, go to three at the back, Bennett right wing back, Tanser left wing back, Hery on and playing behind a front two of Henderson and Brandy.

We'd have retained some width and had a real threat through the middle.

#messageboardmanaging

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Square pegs in round holes on 13:27 - Mar 15 with 5256 viewsfinberty

Square pegs in round holes on 11:51 - Mar 15 by Nafelad

Anyone else think that Hill is so idiosyncratic that he deliberately makes odd substitutions in order to demonstrate his lack of ambition this season. The selections and changes in the last few matches remind me of the way he uses pre-season friendlies to try different formations, and to make each player 'learn the game better' by having to play in positions that aren't their 'natural' ones.

Yes - like moving Matt Done from left back to forward.

Total disaster that proved to be.
Square pegs in round holes on 15:18 - Mar 15 with 5152 viewsnordenblue

Square pegs in round holes on 13:27 - Mar 15 by finberty

Or Bunney a forward to left back, a worldy of an idea
Square pegs in round holes on 16:58 - Mar 15 with 5068 viewsRotherhamDale

I'm convinced Hill thinks he can play players in any position, just because it worked with Done.

Possession with progression.

Square pegs in round holes on 18:59 - Mar 15 with 4973 viewsSwissdale

There seems to be a very short-term memory when it comes to Done. He played at left back for half a season (at which he did OK, not great, but OK). He then was moved BACK into his natural attacking position and people saw it as a managerial masterstroke.

If Keith thinks he can see something in training that might work in a match then so be it, but 1-0 down chasing a game away from home when we have fully competent alternatives on the bench isn't the time to experiment.
Square pegs in round holes on 19:32 - Mar 15 with 4928 viewsD_Alien

Square pegs in round holes on 18:59 - Mar 15 by Swissdale

There seems to be a very short-term memory when it comes to Done. He played at left back for half a season (at which he did OK, not great, but OK). He then was moved BACK into his natural attacking position and people saw it as a managerial masterstroke.

If Keith thinks he can see something in training that might work in a match then so be it, but 1-0 down chasing a game away from home when we have fully competent alternatives on the bench isn't the time to experiment.

finberty's posted that before about Done, and last time round I put him right, just as you have. There's just no hope for some people.

On your second point - exactly, but the result didn't seem to matter to him, unlike those of us who spent time and money to watch his experiment.

Square pegs in round holes on 19:44 - Mar 15 with 4901 viewsTalkingSutty

Square pegs in round holes on 19:32 - Mar 15 by D_Alien

finberty's posted that before about Done, and last time round I put him right, just as you have. There's just no hope for some people.

On your second point - exactly, but the result didn't seem to matter to him, unlike those of us who spent time and money to watch his experiment.

I thought it was Chris Beech who came up with the idea of playing Done in the forward role, he rang him up a couple of days before the game at Gresty Road didn't he? Let's give credit where it's due.
Square pegs in round holes on 20:04 - Mar 15 with 4856 viewsNafelad

Done was never a natural left full back - never played there in his first spell with Dale. He was an attacking midfielder. I don't believe all the hype about Beech having the brilliant idea that Done was a defender who would make a cracking forward. I regarded him more as a forward than a defender in the first place!

Topcat

Square pegs in round holes on 20:25 - Mar 15 with 4827 viewsTVOS1907

Square pegs in round holes on 19:44 - Mar 15 by TalkingSutty

I thought it was Chris Beech who came up with the idea of playing Done in the forward role, he rang him up a couple of days before the game at Gresty Road didn't he? Let's give credit where it's due.

I didn't believe that at the time and still don't now.I think it was a Hillism.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Square pegs in round holes on 21:07 - Mar 15 with 4789 viewsTalkingSutty

Square pegs in round holes on 20:25 - Mar 15 by TVOS1907

I didn't believe that at the time and still don't now.I think it was a Hillism.

Done mentioned it during one of his interviews, that was his version also. Hilly does seem to have psychic powers though when it comes to influencing people's thinking.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 21:09]
Square pegs in round holes on 21:37 - Mar 15 with 4750 viewsTVOS1907

Square pegs in round holes on 21:07 - Mar 15 by TalkingSutty

Done mentioned it during one of his interviews, that was his version also. Hilly does seem to have psychic powers though when it comes to influencing people's thinking.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2015 21:09]

Aye.

He hypnotised you into thinking BBM would be playing this season.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024