Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Hammill 18:03 - Mar 26 with 1959 viewsColDale

has died aged 94

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/tributes-pour-following-d
Jack Hammill on 18:40 - Mar 26 with 1896 viewsBigDaveMyCock

No Luke I'm really your father.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Jack Hammill on 18:46 - Mar 26 with 1873 viewsYorkshire_Dale

One of the greats......sad sad loss.

Taught my father in law to paint landscapes............really fine artist as well as a reporter.
Jack Hammill on 18:56 - Mar 26 with 1848 viewsSuddenLad

A wonderful man. I spent hours talking to Jack about all manner of things. He was keen and enthusiastic about football and his job as a reporter. Never saw him without a pen and pad and he will be sadly missed.

My condolences to his family.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Jack Hammill on 19:36 - Mar 26 with 1765 viewsArthurDaley

Was big mates with Reg Jenkins.
When he used to report on Dale matches, it was for a couple of the Sundays, a talented painter as well.

RIP Jack.

A large VAT Dave

Jack Hammill on 19:39 - Mar 26 with 1759 viewsD_Dale

'Stuart Ainsworth, retail manager at Rochdale AFC said: “Jack must have been one of the earliest reporters to cover Rochdale and he used to send match reports back by pigeon in the days before the internet."'

Never heard that before - I thought press boxes had phones - and I wonder if someone is pulling legs.

But a couple of generations ago, fans relied largely on t'Ob for reports of matches they'd not been able to get to, especially away games. There were no video recordings available within hours, no commentaries, no Twitter and BBC update. Reports of Saturday fixtures appeared the following Wednesday. They were quite lengthy, so if Jack didn't rely on notes he must have had a fine memory for detail.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2015 12:21]
Jack Hammill on 19:45 - Mar 26 with 1746 views442Dale

Jack Hammill on 19:39 - Mar 26 by D_Dale

'Stuart Ainsworth, retail manager at Rochdale AFC said: “Jack must have been one of the earliest reporters to cover Rochdale and he used to send match reports back by pigeon in the days before the internet."'

Never heard that before - I thought press boxes had phones - and I wonder if someone is pulling legs.

But a couple of generations ago, fans relied largely on t'Ob for reports of matches they'd not been able to get to, especially away games. There were no video recordings available within hours, no commentaries, no Twitter and BBC update. Reports of Saturday fixtures appeared the following Wednesday. They were quite lengthy, so if Jack didn't rely on notes he must have had a fine memory for detail.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2015 12:21]

But back then newspaper reports contained much more detail about the games. Reporters did their job properly and didn't just use up space with quotes from managers.

The internet has ensured that anyone can be a journalist.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Jack Hammill on 19:54 - Mar 26 with 1729 viewsEllGazzell

Jack Hammill on 19:45 - Mar 26 by 442Dale

But back then newspaper reports contained much more detail about the games. Reporters did their job properly and didn't just use up space with quotes from managers.

The internet has ensured that anyone can be a journalist.

"The internet has ensured that anyone can be a journalist."

Don't we just know all about that on this board!!!

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Jack Hammill on 00:27 - Mar 27 with 1531 viewsDale92

As a young 'un I spent many hours with jack in the press box. I'll always remember how each home game I went to he'd give me a few quid. It's true about not writing a thing and when he did (usually when getting quotes) it was in short hand. The man was a true Rochdale great, in a day when theirs very few. Even though I've not seen him since my teens I feel genuinely upset by his loss. It's also reminded me to get my paintings of his out and put them up were they belong.
Rip Jack

This is the One, I've waited for

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024